Amazon.com

Updated Nov 10, 2014

3.2

151 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

First was a school interview. That was really easy, so was the math flow question asked. The on-site interview was 3 behavior interviews and 1 math one that I over-thought and got wrong, but I was still offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • When they changed the math problem at the on-site interview   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Interview process was fairly straightforward. Asked several leadership questions, looking for a candidate who's experienced in a leadership role and encountered any kind of dilemmas and how they handled it. Then a fairly simple math flow problems relating to operations.

Interview Questions
    • Be as detailed as possible where you displayed leadership at work   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Amazon utilizes a mult-tiered interview process. Starting first with one to two phone interviews and then an on-site interview with various team members. Be prepared to discuss your resume in depth and a good working knowledge of the company and culture.

Interview Questions
    • HR questions where somewhat routine but I did not expect the in-depth Lean Six Sigma questions.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

I applied through my university's career services website and within an hour received an email from a recruiter, telling me to also apply through Amazon's careers website. He then scheduled a phone interview with me, which was pretty casual: getting to know me, why I want to work for Amazon, behavioral questions, and a simple math problem. At the end of the 45-minute phone call, he told me that I would be moving on to the next round which would be at one of the fulfillment centers. It took a few weeks to schedule that, but they ended up flying me to Phoenix. This round is much more intense: there are about 10 candidates interviewing at the same time, but they stress that we are not all in competition with each other; they could offer each of us the job if they saw fit. First, the group takes a tour of the fulfillment center, then we have 15 minutes to work on a math problem. This wasn't too bad, just do the sample one that they send you and you shouldn't have much trouble. Next, there are 4 back to back interviews, 3 with managers and one with HR. They asked mostly behavioral questions ("tell me about a time when...") and one went over the math problem. All of my interviewers as well as my recruiter were very nice and friendly, so even though I was nervous at first, they made me feel more at ease as the day went on. This interview day at the fulfillment center took about 4 hours. It was on a Friday, and I received an offer via a phone call from my recruiter on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difference of opinion with a peer or coworker and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

So far so good. Standard questions. In person interview is next week. Phone interview and screening process with recruiter went smoothly. No surprises. Be confident is the best advise I would have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arizona State University, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arizona State University, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I met recruiters at a college supply chain career fair. I stopped by because the recruiters were all dressed in jeans and t-shirts instead of suits like all the other companies. I really liked how lax they were. I chatted with them and they asked me to apply. I interviewed with them the very next day on campus and it went great. The interview questions and math problems listed in here were word for word the same things they asked me. The interviewer was VERY friendly and it was more like talking with a buddy than someone interviewing me. This was on Tuesday Sept 16th (I'm writing this on Friday after the interview) and they told me that because they had done so many interviews that I wouldn't hear anything until Friday at the very earliest but I ended up getting an email from them the very next day saying that they were really impressed and that they wanted me to come back for a final interview on Oct 4th. I'm very excited to see how this next interview goes and to see what they offer. One thing they suggested that I read up in before the final interview was Amazon's Customer Obsession. I put that I wasn't given an offer but we'll see after my final interview. I'll update this after my final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time where you had to take leadership of a group of employees or a situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter was great and gave lots of information about what to expect and wear. The interview process included 4 separate interviews with different individuals. One interviewer was asking questions about what I would do in a particular situation, but since I only had a basic knowledge of the process, my answer didn't satisfy him. I wasn't taking into account the details of how things were done, because I didn't really know them. His obvious annoyance at my answers made me lose my confidence and I'm sure that's the interviewer that didn't think I was a good fit for the job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle the situation if a few of your employees are falling behind their expected rate?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I approached the Amazon recruiters at my school's career fair. After fielding the Area Manager recruiter's initial questions, I was invited to interview with another recruiter in two days. At this interview, I was asked three behavioral questions to assess my ability to manage and interact with people, and a math question to assess my ability to problem solve.

This interview lasted an hour, and within 48 hours I was asked to come out to one of the distribution centers for a final interview. Amazon was very accommodating in terms of getting candidates to this interview stage, in some cases flying candidates out and having rental cars waiting for them, and in others putting candidates into contact with one another to drive in together. This interview lasted the better part of an entire day, and included a tour of the facility, and three interviews with a current area manager, a senior distribution manager (I believe), and a human resources representative. This stage of the interview also included a more rigorous math problem to assess my ability to efficiently utilize given resources. I was sent this information, along with other reading materials prior to this final interview, to prepare.

While I did not end up being offered a position with Amazon, I applaud the expedient and efficient manner in which they handled the entire interview process. From beginning to end, the interview/hiring process took no more than two weeks, so there was none of that anxious waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview's math question, while not being algebraically difficult, needs to be completed in 15 minutes on site and requires you to make the simplest possible assumptions.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I connected with a recruiter via email after a job fair. I was initially set up for a phone interview, which consisted of 4 questions, three behavioral and one math question. It was pretty straightforward. I don't believe the interviewer knew anything about me, probably didn't even have a copy of my resume. I was then contacted about an on-site interview, in about three weeks. I attended the "on-site interviews," which were actually at a hotel. There were around 15 other candidates. I was interviewed by four different people, each asking behavioral questions, except for one who went over a harder math problem. It was fairly straightforward, but a little nerve-racking. The interviewers ask more questions that drill down to the details of your answers.

Interview Questions
    • The question that caught me off guard the most was "Describe a time where you did something unexpected to reach a solution."   Answer Question