Amazon.com

Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.2

162 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Online Recruiter introduction through your linkedin profile. Then if interested, your resume and information will be submitted to the firm where they will set up an Interview. After the phone interview (Single Interviewer) then it gets refer forward to more interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most interview questions were directed as if you were already a civilian (logistic) manager, asking questions on how you would deal with their staff (team), and improve their operations and efficiency with calculations such as:

40 personnel (2 personnel don't produce) with 40 hour week and 30 mins break per day with 150 units produced per hour....how many units are produced in a week.

View Answer

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I talked to them at a college fair on campus and got an interview the very next day. The process was very smooth, fast. You definitely don't have much time to prepare so watch out for that. Interview itself was easy and short. They start off with the normal "tell me about yourself," but other than that, they ask mostly hypothetical questions like what would you do in so and so situation, how would you handle this, etc, etc.

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Pretty standard questions, lots of focus on process improvements, math was basic... Almost too basic. They schedule phone interviews but don't hold your breath took 2 reschedules to finally get interviewed. Seemed to be mutual interest would be surprised to not move forward.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you improved a process and how?results?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Had first interview on campus, then final round was at a fulfillment center consisting of 3 interviews after a tour of the facility. The 3 interviews are done one at a time by the Area Manager, Senior Ops Manager, and the HR.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when under pressure and how you handled it to come out on top.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Applied online. There was no recruiter that called me to set anything up. I received an email one week later after applying telling me when an operations manager would be calling me. The only only prep I had was from this site!( which does have good info by the way)

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, give me a time when you had to overcome an obstacle and what steps did you use. Also one math question which I totally suck at math unless I have a chance to study. Word problem, calculate how many shipments per week given so many work hours with so many employees. After failing the math question she gave me another one which again I didn't get. Note to interviewer, if I didn't get the first one right, obviously I am going to have a hard time with the next one.   Answer Question

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

First in person interview, mostly behavior based and they ask one operations math based problem but it was fairly simple. The 2nd round was on-site, they gave tour of the warehouse then three interviews in one day. Very tiring but the key is to stay engaged when you're on break from the interviews. You'll talk to an current area manager where you can ask about their job, operations manager that will give you a little more difficult operations math based questions, then another one with an HR manager.

Interview Questions
    • How many packages must leave your area in one hour to fullfill the daily demand (given other parameters to solve)   Answer Question

Low base salary for the amount of work required.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks 2 phone interviews and a sit down with 3 managers and HR – interviewed at Amazon Center in November 2014.
    Let me just warn you if you own your home your out.
    I traveled 6 hrs one way to interview as I wanted to save them money instead of flying, I ate cheap to show I didn't want to waste money. These factors did not matter.
    The asked me what improvements would I recommend if hired? so stay visual on your tour. I gave them two which I was told were excellent.
    The hours are 4 12hr days but may not be consecutive, No off time in the fourth quarter.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon? Many times you will be asked this
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance Case scenario
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2 Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    3. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    4. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    5. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    6. How do you motivate people?

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    6. What did you see today that we can improve on

The math problem is exactly the same one on other reviews about working 10 hr days
    The curve ball is the picking team now only has 5 hrs

Area Manager Interview

The whole process took about 3 weeks, I applied online and got an email from the recruiter setting me up for a phone interview with the senior operations manager. The same day I got a phone call from the recruiter stating they wanted an in-person interview. They arranged for my flight, hotel and rental car to attend their in-person interview.

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

They have a very thorough interview process to make sure they have a good fit with those they offer jobs. There is typically a tour of the fulfillment center, a math question, and multiple back to back interviews.