Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

132 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. About 1 month latter received a phone call to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was behavioral based with one math problem. The math problem was about having 30 workers, 2 indirect managers they could make xx uph, worked 8hr shifts 5 days a week with 2 15 min breaks. How many units total for 1 week? I then received an email to come back for an on site interview. I am doing this next week so I will update my review then.

Interview Question – Wasn't expecting the math problem but it was straight forward and simple to work through,   Answer Question

Lebanon, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1.Phone Screening
2. Face-to-face Interview

Interview Question – Why did you choose Amazon?   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – Intial interview by phone with recruiter. Important that your responses have $$$ or improvement stats attached to answers. The following week, I was invited for a 30 minute tour of facility. Following the tour, I was interviewed 1:1 with four managers (HR, Regional Ops. Mgr and 2 facilities managers). Most of the questions were behavior questions, and you are expected to provide specific examples from your prior or current roles. I had one manager ask me if I have ever worked for an A-Hole (too funny). We all have so I answered yes and then explained how I managed the relationship and improve the situation.

Interview Question – I expected the question "name a time when you had to work with ambiguity, what did you do?". However, it was phrased "name a time when you had to make a decision with little or no information". I guess I got stumped after being there for five hours..my fault!!!!   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – The entire process from first contact to job offer is approximately 1 month's time. Very personal communications and open to a lot of questions. Waiting on the offer/nonoffer

Interview Question – Math Flow question was very surprising.   Answer Question

Louisville, KY

I interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting an application online, I received an invitation by email to do a webcam interview. This was the second webcam interview I've ever been asked to do, and unlike the first one, Amazon's webcam interview only gives you one shot to record answers the questions it asks. Luckily the questions were easy, with one short answer (typed response) question at the end. After a week or so, I was invited to visit a fulfillment center for a tour and 4 quick 30-minute interviews. Seeing first-hand how Amazon implements simplicity and customer-focus into every process in its fulfillment center was very interesting. I received a phone call 1.5 weeks after the visit to notify me I will not be receiving an offer.

Interview Question – I was asked a case study question about how to handle a situation where a worker arrived late to work.   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – You take a tour. Make note of a few things to ask a few simple questions... "Where does all the ERP and information systems take place?" "What are the major bottlenecks?" etc. Everyone hangs out in the same room. Its hard to tell how selective they are. One of the interviewers said that they have very high hiring standards but then the girl overseeing the interview process kept on saying that she would like to hire all of us and that she really needs as many people as possible. I thought that I said some things that would kill my chances in the interview but was given an offer anyway. The math problem is super easy and the EXACT problem is found several times in other reviews. Look at some of the behavioral based questions and be prepared to answer some tough ones like "you are given a shift of 150 people, what do you do?" Its pretty open ended but they are looking to see how you think. They all have poker faces so its very hard to determine how well you are doing. I asked some questions which they really liked such as "Do you have any feedback for me?" "What are some of the key things you look for in a interviewee?" Etc. They will respect you more if you can ask a question that puts them on the spot.

Interview Question – "tell me about a time that something was outside of your control, what did you do?" "You have to manage 150 people, what do you do?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I am actually still in the process of accepting one job over another. Amazon has many benefits but I am being flown out to another interview this week. There are many things that have turned me off about Amazon upon doing extensive research about the position. I still may take it as the career potential is impressive.

Area Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – First phone interview in the process. Questions about your previous leadership experience. One was how you solved a seemingly difficult problem with a simple solution. Another was how you coached and mentored individuals below you to succeed. Also there was a simple simple math question. Took about 30 mins.

Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – You are set-up for success in this process. The recruiters follow-up frequently via email and phone with all the information you need and help coach you with everything you need to be prepared for. The tour of the distribution is amazing. The software does almost everything. The dress code is really relaxed too which is nice. The compensation package is pretty impressive too.

Interview Question – The match question can be tricky if you're not good with percentages. I had to manually hand jam it because it was a bit too early for my brain to work right but I got the right answer.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – In the final round you will be fortunate enough to tour the fulfillment center. After the tour interviews will commence. You will have the chance to meet actual people who work there and ask any questions that you may have regarding the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to deal with ambiguity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Area Manager interview questions and advice. All 132 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.