Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

3.2

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website. 1. Tell me about yourself 2. Strengths 3. Weaknesses 4. Why Amazon? 5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon? 6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest? Groups/ Leadership 1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it 2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict? 3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity? 4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance 5. What is your take on leadership? 6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict? 7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles? Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service 1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity? 2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety 3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees 4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant) 5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do 6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction 7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader? 8. How do you motivate people? 9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors Negativity 1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it? 2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it 3. How do you deal with stress? 4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it? 5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance 6. Name a time you screwed up 7. What frustrates you Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing 1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process 2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve 3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved 4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed 5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem 6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Tracy, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview and a 3 hour on site interview. Look up the leadership principles and try to incorporate them into your answers. Just be friendly and be yourself. When they tell you to dress casual, dress casual. No need to wear a suit. I wore a pair of Chucks, Hudson Jeans with a nice Banana Republic button up and a BP blazer.

Interview Questions

• I signed a NDA so I cannot submit any interview questions.   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

15 Minute for a math question, 1 interview with operations manager, 1 interview with HR person. You take the math question in a room with all the other candidates, the recruiters aren't useful and don't reply to your email... Always say you're willing to relocate anywhere because they'll most likely hire you (even if they say it doesn't affect your interview).

Interview Questions

• What was something you were going in to and noticed that you're going to fail, what did you end up doing   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Applied via their college recruiting process. The process took about 5 weeks and consisted of one phone interview and one interview at a fulfillment center. Company members took a group of candidates on a tour of the facility followed by four separate interviews that lasted about 30 minutes each. A math question was also asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you knew you were unprepared. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Tacoma, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

The initial phone screen questions were mostly behavioral based - Describe a time when you... and focused more on my team building examples. The initial phone interview was pretty straight forward and I was referred on to the next step in the process (on site interview at one of their fulfillment centers with other candidates) however, there are no scheduled interview events scheduled for the next 2 months. I don't understand how they advertise open positions and then not have a timeline to hire the candidates. I will have to keep applying to other positions while I wait for months for the next step in the process.

Interview Questions

• Phone screening Math Flow question: You have 30 associates, 2 are not on the production floor. Each can process 150 UPH; Each works 8 hr days, 5 days week; each day each worker is given 2 15 min breaks. How many units can they output per week? Once I answered that part correctly, I was asked how many more associates are needed to produce an additional 10,000 units/week?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Rutherford, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (East Rutherford, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

3 part interview. First was in a group and given a simple math problem to solve. Then interviewed by a current area manager and was asked a few personality questions and was given an overview of the job. Final part was interview by HR rep. Here we discussed the math problem and were asked a few more questions of how we would handle on the job situations. Overall a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were faced with a problem and were unable to solve it   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Basic phone interview with one of the Ops Managers at one of their other facilities. Started out with him laying out the agenda for the 30 min interview. Then went into the 3 behavioral questions focused on motivation, leadership and I think development. After that there was a man power planning math question (you need X amount of product out, how many employees do you need to complete the job?). He then went over the Case question, which you have to complete in order to get the phone interview. At the end I asked a few questions about the company and that was about it.

Interview Questions

• You have 30 people working under you with 2 working indirect. Each employee can do 150 units/hour. Each work day has two 15 min breaks and one 30 min lunch. In a 5 day work week, how many total units can you complete? Follow up: 10,000 additional units need to be completed this week. How many additional employees will you need?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in East Rutherford, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (East Rutherford, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

They had me come to NJ for the interview. Didn't go through a phone interview. When I got there, there were a few other people there for the same interview too. The interview consist of three parts. One math problem like the other reviews on here, you are given 15 mins to solve the problem, like others said the answer doesn't matter, they just care about your thought process. Two 45 min interviews, one with an area manager and one from HR. They asked basic behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• the math problem was the one where u have 110 workers and you need to assign them to 4 different stations.   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and a few days later received an email asking for information, which was clearly already given on the application submitted. Sent the information regardless and received another email a week later setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was given by one person who was obviously reading from a script.. typical situation questions and a couple math problems (VERY similar to the ones listed on this site). The interviewer clearly didn't read my resume or application and seemed bored the moment it started (it was 4pm on a Friday). I'd compare it to talking with a brick wall in an abandoned building in Detroit.. which came as a surprise, since other reviewers on the site seemed to have a personal connection with their phone interviewer. I asked him about the company and he didn't seem to know much about it. Wasn't shocked when I received an email a week later stating they were going to pursue other candidates. No harm, received a great offer with another company a couple weeks later.

Interview Questions

• a few "Tell me about a time..." questions and the math questions listed on this site.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very casual If you are confident in an interview setting it will be a breeze I did a on campus interview through the university and was called the next day for a in person interview the next day. It consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with two different people and a math solving problem. The math portion was easy, but I noticed that a lot of other people over thought the problem, just do the math and dont worry about the situation.