Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
140 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   View Answer

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online at the amazon fulfillment website. Started off with a 30 minute phone screen that asked basic questions including a simple math problem. The interviewer told me that I passed the phone screen before it ended. About a week later I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview started with a production flow problem, not hard if you are generally familiar with algebra. Just draw out a diagram of the problem so that you can fully understand each component. Later the interviewer will change a portion of the problem and you will have to recalculate. After the initial math problem, you will do four separate interviews. After you finish all four, you are free to leave. 8 days later I received an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you took a risk?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was excellent and there was no need to negotiate

Area Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I connected with a recruiter via email after a job fair. I was initially set up for a phone interview, which consisted of 4 questions, three behavioral and one math question. It was pretty straightforward. I don't believe the interviewer knew anything about me, probably didn't even have a copy of my resume. I was then contacted about an on-site interview, in about three weeks. I attended the "on-site interviews," which were actually at a hotel. There were around 15 other candidates. I was interviewed by four different people, each asking behavioral questions, except for one who went over a harder math problem. It was fairly straightforward, but a little nerve-racking. The interviewers ask more questions that drill down to the details of your answers.

Interview Question – The question that caught me off guard the most was "Describe a time where you did something unexpected to reach a solution."   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Allentown, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – The process was vey easy they fly you out to what ever location they are conducting the interviews and it is 5 hours process with 4 types of interviews. math flow problem, behavioral questions, production questions, and HR.

Interview Question – what is your favorite part or operations when it comes to 400 associates.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Area Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was recruited at College during one of our job fairs, so my first interview was at the school's career center. it was 2 days later that they called me for an on site interview. I was flown out to their Delaware fulfillment center and interviewed with 4 different managers. Overall the process took about 2 weeks and the on site lasted a little over 3 hours.

Interview Question – Most of the questions asked were pretty standard but one rather difficult one that stumped me initially was when they asked me a time to speed up a process. There is also a math problem solving question that you have to answer. They give you 15 minutes to figure it out then you have to discuss it with one of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – 30 minute phone interview. Questions asked-Tell me about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, how do you work on a team and give an example of a time when you worked on a team and things did not go the way you wanted

Interview Question – Math question about employee shift productivity   Answer Question

Lakeland, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was about 12 minutes long, including the open session for questions. The first step was to go over the work history and previous employment, two questions regarding to leadership and how to motivate employee. The 2nd step was followed by a math problem.
The phone call was very short and sloppy; the manager was busy talking to another manager while conducting the interview; there was no interest to proceed with the interview.

Interview Question – How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity? How do you motivate people?   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through my schools career portal. Within one hour of applying the recruiter emails me about setting up an appointment the next day. He sends me the link to apply directly to their website, then sets up an interview with someone else. The second phone screen was simple, why Amazon? Lasted about 15 minutes, then interviewed again over the phone the following day. Started off with the workflow problem it was easy. Then followed up with telling him about myself and the like. Nothing too out of the "ordinary" behavioral questions. It was a great 30+ minute conversation until I got to the last question he had for me. The interviewer asked me to tell him more about my finance interest, I went on and on about how great finance was. After that it got awkward, I just couldn't wait to get off the phone and i'm sure he felt the same. I should have expressed more interest in operations. He went on to say they were not hiring at this time LoL.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, everything on here helped out.   Answer Question

Riverside, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to participate in an interview. Being in Seattle, I though it would be in Seattle. Instead they pressured me to move to California, and after some consideration, I agreed to explore further. The "interview fair" was impersonal, and unimpressive. The company and the recruiter encouraged me to ask challenging questions, but when I did, it made them uncomfortable and probably backfired. One bad impression out all of the interview rounds, and you're toast. After learning more about the opportunity I would have declined an offer.

Interview Question – The story problem was 15 minutes long, and moderately challenging. If you're good at math and operationally experienced, it shouldn't be hard.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. About 1 month latter received a phone call to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was behavioral based with one math problem. The math problem was about having 30 workers, 2 indirect managers they could make xx uph, worked 8hr shifts 5 days a week with 2 15 min breaks. How many units total for 1 week? I then received an email to come back for an on site interview. I am doing this next week so I will update my review then.

Interview Question – Wasn't expecting the math problem but it was straight forward and simple to work through,   View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!