Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted application. Then set up a Telephone interview. It's just as everyone had said. Behavior questions. Had to edit three weeks before the on/site "POD" round robin session. Meet w two site managers, an HR rep and then a Senior Manager. Day started by making us wait 45 mins at the gate. Once an local HR person clocked in they brought us in and the site manger have a tour. He also was a person who interviewed us. They said 45 mins but really they couldn't be to bothered, so they asked two token questions and then listened to them talk about generic stuff to kill time. Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss and had to implement a process that you didn't agree with. Along with the others you have read here. Really they seemed like they had all the POD session down. It was just when interacting w real people did they seem out of sorts.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss and had to implement a process that you didn't agree with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Harder interview then normal. STAR format for answers in questions is necessary. Employees who interview you are very straight forward with what to expect from the position, company and your managers.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you faced a hard situation. Also a math flow problem, this website helped a lot in prepping for the interview.   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview that was scheduled at my convenience.

Attended an in-person interview in Chicago the following week. There were two 45 minute interviews; one with area manager/operations manager and the second was with HR manager.

Nothing unexpected questions and math for all interview portions are comparable to what is on here.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were faced with a difficult challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (San Bernardino, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Sit downs with a panel and individuals. The interviews on average take about fourty five minutes. You should research the STAR method of answering your interview questions and expect more questions regarding behaviors and your abilities.

Interview Questions

• People often say the simplest solution is the best. Tell me about a complex problem you solved with a simple solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very professional and exciting. The interviewers ranged from other Area Managers, Operational Managers, and HR executives. They seemed very interested in me and were very friendly. Most comfortable interview I have ever been a part of.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview due to inclement weather. The interviewer was professional and helpful. There was a math problem involved in addition to the interview questions. I was asked about 3-4 questions, the interview took about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to step up and be a leader.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I was flown to interview and touched down at 4pm the afternoon before. The whole travel ordeal was rather stressful. Getting to rental car area and driving an hour to the hotel only to have to make it to the facility at 700am the next morning. 8 other candidates were there flown in as well and they said we weren't competing against one another, but we were... awkward! We waited about a half hour to be greeted by our facility tour guide. Then checking in was a 15 minute process. We were given a 1 hour tour of the facility. The main reason we were there, to interview, was not long at all. They said the process would be 4, 45 minute interviews, but no one's seemed to be more than 35-40minutes. The process was very rushed, hurried, and impersonal. You had to re-establish yourself with each interviewer leaving each of them to ask you only 2 questions. Be prepared to be interrupted in mid sentence. One interviewer said "be more specific"...I guess he wanted the actual name of the individual I was referring to... not sure of the relevancy or value add in that. My thought was he only wanted to interrupt me. I guess that is a high IQ tactic I hadn't learned. One interviewer had only been employed with Amazon for 4 months and she seemed miffed when I asked her about her Amazon experience at the end of the interview when she asked, "do you have any questions for me?". Amazon is a successful company, but 3 of the 4 interviewers went out of their was to attempt to intimidate, by either interrupting or giving cold stares. They like to ask canned behavioral questions about leading groups of people and they like to hire young students strait out of college... so basically they like people to lie to them. What 23 year old has several various scenarios of leading a team of people!? If working 13-14 hour shifts and working them 6 days a week Oct-Dec is what your looking for, then this is your gig. Hope you don't own a home because that's a black eye in the Amazon world.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you were leading a team of people and dealing with two separate issues only to realize they had the same underlying cause? What!? That was real question!!   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Met with a representative at a college career fair, they offered me a phone interview the next day. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and covered basic behavioral and situational questions. At the end of the phone interview they said that they were very impressed and wanted to move me to the next round. Within a few days I received an email about traveling to a near by fulfillment center on that coming friday. Once at the facility, we took a tour of the warehouse which was followed by four 30 minute interviews. One interview was based on a math question we were required to complete, two were with operations representatives, and the last one was with a human resources representative. Everyone throughout the processes was extremely nice and accommodating. The following monday I received a call from a recruiter informing me that I was not a good fit for the area manager position.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?
      Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it?
      In your past experiences, tell me about your worst employee and best employee.
      How do you motivate yourself?
      Explain a time when you messed up.
      Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem.
      Describe a time when you did something unexpected to solve a problem.

Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Interview

Four intervenes back to back lasting about 4 hours in total. They put everyone waiting in a room together and call them In one at a time. Over it wasn't too bad of an experience. A bit nerve racking

Interview Questions

• How do you split your day up and how do you prioritize your time   Answer Question