Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

3.2

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

It was a phone interview due to inclement weather. The interviewer was professional and helpful. There was a math problem involved in addition to the interview questions. I was asked about 3-4 questions, the interview took about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to step up and be a leader.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

I was flown to interview and touched down at 4pm the afternoon before. The whole travel ordeal was rather stressful. Getting to rental car area and driving an hour to the hotel only to have to make it to the facility at 700am the next morning. 8 other candidates were there flown in as well and they said we weren't competing against one another, but we were... awkward! We waited about a half hour to be greeted by our facility tour guide. Then checking in was a 15 minute process. We were given a 1 hour tour of the facility. The main reason we were there, to interview, was not long at all. They said the process would be 4, 45 minute interviews, but no one's seemed to be more than 35-40minutes. The process was very rushed, hurried, and impersonal. You had to re-establish yourself with each interviewer leaving each of them to ask you only 2 questions. Be prepared to be interrupted in mid sentence. One interviewer said "be more specific"...I guess he wanted the actual name of the individual I was referring to... not sure of the relevancy or value add in that. My thought was he only wanted to interrupt me. I guess that is a high IQ tactic I hadn't learned. One interviewer had only been employed with Amazon for 4 months and she seemed miffed when I asked her about her Amazon experience at the end of the interview when she asked, "do you have any questions for me?". Amazon is a successful company, but 3 of the 4 interviewers went out of their was to attempt to intimidate, by either interrupting or giving cold stares. They like to ask canned behavioral questions about leading groups of people and they like to hire young students strait out of college... so basically they like people to lie to them. What 23 year old has several various scenarios of leading a team of people!? If working 13-14 hour shifts and working them 6 days a week Oct-Dec is what your looking for, then this is your gig. Hope you don't own a home because that's a black eye in the Amazon world.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you were leading a team of people and dealing with two separate issues only to realize they had the same underlying cause? What!? That was real question!!   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

Sit downs with a panel and individuals. The interviews on average take about fourty five minutes. You should research the STAR method of answering your interview questions and expect more questions regarding behaviors and your abilities.

Interview Questions
    • People often say the simplest solution is the best. Tell me about a complex problem you solved with a simple solution.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Met with a representative at a college career fair, they offered me a phone interview the next day. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and covered basic behavioral and situational questions. At the end of the phone interview they said that they were very impressed and wanted to move me to the next round. Within a few days I received an email about traveling to a near by fulfillment center on that coming friday. Once at the facility, we took a tour of the warehouse which was followed by four 30 minute interviews. One interview was based on a math question we were required to complete, two were with operations representatives, and the last one was with a human resources representative. Everyone throughout the processes was extremely nice and accommodating. The following monday I received a call from a recruiter informing me that I was not a good fit for the area manager position.

Interview Questions
    • Why Amazon?
      Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it?
      In your past experiences, tell me about your worst employee and best employee.
      How do you motivate yourself?
      Explain a time when you messed up.
      Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem.
      Describe a time when you did something unexpected to solve a problem.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

The interview was conducted through the college recruiting process. It is good to have prior logistics experience but not required. I was probably one of the 15 students that was interviewed the day after the career fair.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked 2 behavioral questions and 1 easy math question. The behavioral questions focus on team situations and creative thinking. Try to quantify your past experience/results as much as possible. Recruiter seemed very annoyed and stern and left a bad impression.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you solved a difficult problem using a simple solution   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project where you had to lead people. What were your objectives and how did you reach them?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

The process was very easy and expedited which was great. The recruiter that I worked with did an excellent job of keeping me in the loop in regards to the process, and let me know what to expect from each of my interviews. After speaking with her, and being deemed a qualified applicant I had a phone interview with a Senior Ops Manager that lasted about 45 minutes. I waited about 5 days for the results of that interview and was told that I would be moving onto the next step. This included traveling to a fulfillment center, taking a tour to get an idea of the way it operates, and then interviewing with 4 Operations and Senior Ops Managers. It was an all day affair which wasn't particularly desirable, but besides that everything was great. In both phases I was given workflow problems to complete but nothing too crazy. Everyone that interviewed me was open, friendly, and interested in getting to know me as a person to make sure that I would fit in with the culture at Amazon.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question
    Flexible. My starting salary is 7k higher than the posted average, with a large sign on bonus, a second bonus upon the start of my second year, and a ton of stock in the company.

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was targeted from careerbuilder by a recruiter. I answered the email questions so they set me up for a phone interview for Ops Manager originally. It took 1 week but then took 2 months for the round robin interview which I learned all the info on here. I was contacted back 8 days later by a recruiter who said they were interested in me but as an Area Manager. They did not have any open positions at that time so i continued to othwr intwrviews with other companies. I accepted another offer then 3 days after the recruiter sent me an Amazon offer which was above average. I am still debating the offer but the 3 month wait was a big turn off.

Interview Questions
    • Math flow was easy until the ops manager threw a bunch of curveballs...same ones listed on here.   View Answers (3)
    No room for negotiation but if your seasoned tell them you have another offer they may try to out price it if they want you. They did for me.

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Online Recruiter introduction through your linkedin profile. Then if interested, your resume and information will be submitted to the firm where they will set up an Interview. After the phone interview (Single Interviewer) then it gets refer forward to more interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most interview questions were directed as if you were already a civilian (logistic) manager, asking questions on how you would deal with their staff (team), and improve their operations and efficiency with calculations such as:

40 personnel (2 personnel don't produce) with 40 hour week and 30 mins break per day with 150 units produced per hour....how many units are produced in a week.

View Answers (3)

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I talked to them at a college fair on campus and got an interview the very next day. The process was very smooth, fast. You definitely don't have much time to prepare so watch out for that. Interview itself was easy and short. They start off with the normal "tell me about yourself," but other than that, they ask mostly hypothetical questions like what would you do in so and so situation, how would you handle this, etc, etc.