Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.2

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website. 1. Tell me about yourself 2. Strengths 3. Weaknesses 4. Why Amazon? 5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon? 6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest? Groups/ Leadership 1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it 2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict? 3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity? 4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance 5. What is your take on leadership? 6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict? 7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles? Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service 1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity? 2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety 3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees 4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant) 5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do 6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction 7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader? 8. How do you motivate people? 9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors Negativity 1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it? 2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it 3. How do you deal with stress? 4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it? 5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance 6. Name a time you screwed up 7. What frustrates you Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing 1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process 2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve 3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved 4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed 5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem 6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied on Amazonfulfillment.com. A couple weeks later got an email asking what times I would be available for an interview, would I be willing to travel and how soon I was from graduating college. I answered those questions and a couple days latter was set-up for a phone interview. The phone interviewer was nice. Very focused on leadership and how you process and act within certain situations. Was moved on to the second round with an interview at the fulfillment center. They flew me out to Arizona. Hotel, flight, and rental car paid for on behalf of Amazon so that was nice. However, the interview process was not. It's understandable for interviewers to not be gipper and rays of sunshine. However, when your interviewing someone and your looking them up and down with a look of disdain or repeatedly questioning the example that has been given to you and why you don't feel that it is a good example is BS (looking at you HR girl). To add onto that, when I wrapped up my questions for her and informed her that was all, she remarked "umm"with a head jerk. While that particular individual was not a reflection of all employees and interviewers throughout Amazon, that crap was totally unacceptable. Clear-cut case of abuse of power. Despite all the above, I held my ground and sold myself. There are a total of four interviews and they don't last long (supposed to be 30 minutes each). Very impersonal. Overall nice to be flown out and to stay a night at the Hilton but Amazon seriously needs to have its interviewers step their skills up or hire new staff. Tis all.

Interview Questions

• (paraphrasing) "Name a time you had a project/task to complete that didn't go as planned/yield expected results/wern't able to complete".   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. First interviewer talked about his background. He asked a few STAR questions, and a math problem. The recruiter emailed me and let me know if been selected for the next phase, which would be face to face interviews on site.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when something went wrong and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Tracy, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview and a 3 hour on site interview. Look up the leadership principles and try to incorporate them into your answers. Just be friendly and be yourself. When they tell you to dress casual, dress casual. No need to wear a suit. I wore a pair of Chucks, Hudson Jeans with a nice Banana Republic button up and a BP blazer.

Interview Questions

• I signed a NDA so I cannot submit any interview questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Bernardino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First, a phone screen with a Senior Ops Manager, then an interview "event" at the fulfillment center. There were around 10 other people interviewing for the same position during my event. Interview event consist of a facility tour followed by a math question and 4 45min interviews. The interviews are behavioral based and use the same questions posted here. The math question is the same one on this site, and there is a follow up math question (neither is difficult). Overall it was a good experience, unfortunately I was out competed.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had two separate problems that you discovered had the same underlying cause?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

15 Minute for a math question, 1 interview with operations manager, 1 interview with HR person. You take the math question in a room with all the other candidates, the recruiters aren't useful and don't reply to your email... Always say you're willing to relocate anywhere because they'll most likely hire you (even if they say it doesn't affect your interview).

Interview Questions

• What was something you were going in to and noticed that you're going to fail, what did you end up doing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Tacoma, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

The initial phone screen questions were mostly behavioral based - Describe a time when you... and focused more on my team building examples. The initial phone interview was pretty straight forward and I was referred on to the next step in the process (on site interview at one of their fulfillment centers with other candidates) however, there are no scheduled interview events scheduled for the next 2 months. I don't understand how they advertise open positions and then not have a timeline to hire the candidates. I will have to keep applying to other positions while I wait for months for the next step in the process.

Interview Questions

• Phone screening Math Flow question: You have 30 associates, 2 are not on the production floor. Each can process 150 UPH; Each works 8 hr days, 5 days week; each day each worker is given 2 15 min breaks. How many units can they output per week? Once I answered that part correctly, I was asked how many more associates are needed to produce an additional 10,000 units/week?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Applied via their college recruiting process. The process took about 5 weeks and consisted of one phone interview and one interview at a fulfillment center. Company members took a group of candidates on a tour of the facility followed by four separate interviews that lasted about 30 minutes each. A math question was also asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you knew you were unprepared. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Rutherford, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (East Rutherford, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

3 part interview. First was in a group and given a simple math problem to solve. Then interviewed by a current area manager and was asked a few personality questions and was given an overview of the job. Final part was interview by HR rep. Here we discussed the math problem and were asked a few more questions of how we would handle on the job situations. Overall a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were faced with a problem and were unable to solve it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ruskin, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Ruskin, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

4 panel pod interview. Each interviewer was from a different area of the company...HR, Statistics, General Manager, and Sr Operations. The interview was fairly easy. I didn't do well on the second part of the workflow math question.