Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

3.2

147 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hazleton, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hazleton, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2010.

I reached out to a Recruiter through Linkedin back in January about an Area Manager position with Amazon. He responded to me quickly and told me someone would be in touch with me within the next week for a phone screening. A week later a Recruiter called me and we had a brief phone conversation. He said he would like to call me in a month to discuss opportunities. A month later we spoke again for about 5 minutes and he told me he would like to speak with me a month later. After about 3 or 4 phone calls I finally had a 30 minute phone interview with a Senior Operations Manager at the Hazleton, PA location in March. He told me he wanted to have me fly down to Hazleton for an interview. It took about another month for me to get a face to face interview. This is the most stressful interview process I have ever been through. Before you even travel for the interview they e-mail you 4 case studies to do and then you have to e-mail them to the Recruiter. When you go to the location they have you work on a throughput math problem (you should probably study up on it). After that you go on a tour of the Distribution Center and then have a panel interview with 3 managers and yourself. Talk about a grilling!! You have to go over your answer on a whiteboard. On top of that they come up with another alternative you have to figure out. After that you have to explain a couple of your case study answers. This was my least favorite part of the process. Afer that I met with an HR Manager and another GM and had a 2 on 1 interview with them which lasted about 30 minutes. This concluded the interview process which took 3 hours total. I honestly felt stupid when I left the interview which is not a good feeling to have. I have been on a lot of interviews in my life and this was by far the most difficult. They do a lot of recruiting out of the military so a lot of the guys who work here tend to be pretty serious. It was an interesting interview process but I don't expect an offer to come out of it since I feel I did a poor job during the interview process.

Interview Questions
  • Math Problem: You have an upstream Picking department that feeds two downstream packing departments: A and B.

75% of your Pick volume goes to department A, which has a packing rate of 150 unites per labor hour (uph).

25% of the Pick volume goes to department B, which is for large items, and has a pack rate of 25 units per labor hour.

Your pickers pick both large and small items throughout the day at an overall average rate of 100 units per labor hour.

You have 25 people today for all 3 departments, and you absolutely must pack 7,500 units in department A to meet a customer promise metric. How do you allocate labor to balance the flow in your department if you work a 10 hour shift? Do not assume breaks or lunches in your answer.

Department % of volume Rate (uph) People Daily Volume
    Pick 100% 100 ?? ??
    Pack A 75% 150 ?? 7,500
    Pack B 25% 25 ?? ??
      View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2010.

Applied online to an opening listed the Amazon website. Submitted resume on a Friday email from a recruiter on Monday to set up a phone interview with an Sr. Ops Mgr. later that week. Following the phone interview I was invited for on site interviews. Once on site: 1. Facility safety overview 2. Operations related math problem 3. Tour 4. Two panel style interviews. One panel was very heavy situation / tell me about a time type questions. The other was about speaking to and understanding operations metrics and explaining the operations related math problem on the white board with major focus on how you arrived at your answers.

Before the on site visit and interviews: You will be asked to sign a non-disclosure form and to answer some case studies. You'll also get an expense report and a direct deposit form. The hotel will be direct billed to Amazon.

On site: The site I visited was very... very... very casual. It's easy to feel overdressed. Shorts and T-shirts and Polo's are the norm.

A Senior Recruiter called the day after my on site interview to recap the interviews, answer any additional questions and to present an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The operations math problem... just take your time and think it all the way through.

I've seen some examples on here of the math problem however they're not the same as I had. Just be ready to look at units to move, hours and head count needed to do it.
        View Answer
    • How do / did you motivate your team.

What innovations or improvements have you made in your organization.
        View Answer
    Not much room to negotiate however I was able to round up a little. The over all attitude was great and it didn't hurt to ask however... they put together a surprisingly solid offer to begin with.

Area Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2011.

1st off I have to present 4 case studies prior to the interview
    2nd a word math problem
    3rd you will have to present them in your interviews
    4th three separate interviews with two people each.
    5th people were nice and they all seemed to love what they do.
    6th do your research I was over prepared but it worked to my advantage I got an offer
    7th know your worth. Highly encourage you negotiate your salary

Interview Questions
    • How much does revenue does my favorite team earn   View Answer
    • What do you like about Amazon would change and how   View Answer
    Do your research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

The phone interview was straight forward and lasted about 45 mins to 1 hr. Basic questions of the behavioral variety. Overall the screener was very nice and made you feel comfortable.
    The panel interview took about 5 hours for the whole thing. It was broken down into a math problem and then meeting with 3 different groups and/or individuals. You also had to send in ahead of time an answer to 4 different scenarios which you discussed during the panel review.

This interview was not comfortable and was designed to be a stressful interview to see if you can handle it. The interviewers would throw curve balls in the questions to see what you would do.

Most all the time they all kept saying that this place is stressful and "Amazon owns your soul" for 3 months of the year. Definitely they were trying to scare most people off.

Did not get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The math problem was the most difficult if you are not used to algebra type word problems. I am assuming that none of the people interviewing do this kind of thing on a daily basis.   View Answers (2)

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

Don't pay any attention to the negative reviews of Amazon's interview process. The phone interview went off without a hitch; basic leadership type behavioral questions. Within two days I was notified that they would fly me out to Allentown, PA for another round of face to face interviews. The math problem and case studies came in an email shortly after that. The point of contact for this process was locked on and professional. The flight and hotel and rental car were all taken care of. When you get to the interview location you will be put into a small group with a minder to escort you around and get you where you need to go. The interviews were three 1:1 interviews and then the math/case studies discussion with senior management types who came out specifically for this event. None of them were combative or grumpy. I estimate that about 200 candidates went through the process, spread out over three days. The Talent Acquisition personnel were very helpful and gave out lots of pointers on how to do well in the interviews. They were very clear that we were not competing against each other for one job. They have hundreds of openings and they are looking for solid leadership skills that make for a good fit within their corporate culture. Each interviewer had a competency to focus on. Figure out what that is (it will be obvious, in fact he or she will probably tell you what it is) and then bend all your answers to that topic. They tell you several times during the process to bring up numbers and quantified success.The math flow and case studies are more conversational in nature. And when they say 'show your work' they mean they want to see the actual full-out equation that gets the numbers you talk about. After you go through that the curveballs start and you just describe how you would adjust. It was the portion of the process that I feared the most and it turned out to be my favorite part. There was no problem with my return flight and the offer came in the next week. I accepted.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Initially conducted a telephone interview with a recruiter. After the initial interview I was referred to the Operations Manager team and invited to attend a hiring event. Before I attended the interview I had to provided a written paper for one of two questions provided. The interview process was with four seperate people for 45 minutes each. One of the interviewers was an HR person while the others were Operations Managers. The first interviewer asked me to introduce myself and provided a synopsis of the writing assignment. There was also a math flow question which I was concerned about but they are not worried about the answer as much as they want to see your problem solving skills. The remaining interviewers asked standard behavioral questions. Overall I would say the interview was in a very relaxing setting.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked me about my resume, well a specific bullet on my resume. Other than that there were no real hard questions.   Answer Question
    I received a phone call first stating I did well during the interview and they were inclided to hire me. The offer did not come right away but that was because of my desired location. The actual offer was emailed to me and I had 10 days to accept of decline. I can say the offer was generous and it was easy for me to accept.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

So they fly you out to a fulfillment center after doing a phone interview. You are taken on a 45 minute tour of the facility. Then you through 4 interviews which consist of behavior or situation questions. There is a math flow problem you do before the interviews and then your work and results are to be explained to the interviewee which is an operations mgr. Two interviews are given by operation managers, one HR mgr., and the other by an area mgr.

Math Flow (Exact Question):

You have an upstream picking department that feeds two downstream packing departments: pack singles and pack multis. Those packing departments feed to a shipping department that loads the outgoing trucks.

30% of your pick volume goes to pack singles and has a packing rate of 171 units per labor hour (uph). 70% of the pick volume goes to pack multis and has a pack rate of 266 units per labor hour.

Your pickers pick both single and multis items throughout the day at an overall average rate of 114 units per labor hour. All units that are packed in both processes go through the ship process at a rate of 570 units per hour.

You have 102 people today for all 4 departments and you have to pack 47,780 units in pack multis items to meet customer promise metric.

How do you allocate labor to balance the flow in your department if you work a 10 hour shift? No breaks or lunches.

Fill out table: Answers included

Department % of volume Rate (uph) People Daily Volume
    Pick 100% 114 60 47,880
    Pack Singles 30% 171 12 20,520
    Pack Multis 70% 266 18 47,880
    Ship 100% 570 12 x

Interview Questions

The pay wasn't very good, location choice was horrible, you can't take a vacation or practically see your family november through january because of peak season. Would $45,000 a year sound good for a very fast pace environment with lots of tasks including lots of overtime november through december with no difference in pay for overtime.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

The process was vey easy they fly you out to what ever location they are conducting the interviews and it is 5 hours process with 4 types of interviews. math flow problem, behavioral questions, production questions, and HR.

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite part or operations when it comes to 400 associates.   Answer Question
    none

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I connected with a recruiter via email after a job fair. I was initially set up for a phone interview, which consisted of 4 questions, three behavioral and one math question. It was pretty straightforward. I don't believe the interviewer knew anything about me, probably didn't even have a copy of my resume. I was then contacted about an on-site interview, in about three weeks. I attended the "on-site interviews," which were actually at a hotel. There were around 15 other candidates. I was interviewed by four different people, each asking behavioral questions, except for one who went over a harder math problem. It was fairly straightforward, but a little nerve-racking. The interviewers ask more questions that drill down to the details of your answers.

Interview Questions
    • The question that caught me off guard the most was "Describe a time where you did something unexpected to reach a solution."   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Applied online at the amazon fulfillment website. Started off with a 30 minute phone screen that asked basic questions including a simple math problem. The interviewer told me that I passed the phone screen before it ended. About a week later I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview started with a production flow problem, not hard if you are generally familiar with algebra. Just draw out a diagram of the problem so that you can fully understand each component. Later the interviewer will change a portion of the problem and you will have to recalculate. After the initial math problem, you will do four separate interviews. After you finish all four, you are free to leave. 8 days later I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    Offer was excellent and there was no need to negotiate