Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

3.2

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Very easy verbal and numerical tests. Then i got accepted in a phone interview with some background and lots of behavioral questions. Relatively easy and the woman that interviewed me seemed very friendly. I got accepted for an assessment day, where you had 4 45-minutes interviews with 4 different people (HR and Operations departments). Lots (around 30) behavioural questions that from some point on where kind of repetitive. Plus, one 15-min quantitative case study (easy, about operations). Generally pleasant experience and relatively easy and straight-forward. I didn't get an offer, but I went there unprepared for the behavioural Q since I had no time to do it. Only thing needed is to take some time and prepare for behavioural questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation that you had to work under pressure and how you manage to cope with that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. First interviewer talked about his background. He asked a few STAR questions, and a math problem. The recruiter emailed me and let me know if been selected for the next phase, which would be face to face interviews on site.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when something went wrong and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ruskin, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Ruskin, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

4 panel pod interview. Each interviewer was from a different area of the company...HR, Statistics, General Manager, and Sr Operations. The interview was fairly easy. I didn't do well on the second part of the workflow math question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Two 45 min interviews and a math assessment. They try to be "laid back" while throwing in backhanded snarky comments. The two interviewers seemed almost like a "good cop, bad cop" way of doing things. One seemed pleased with my answers and the other kept digging at everything they could. Probably some type of "test" in their eyes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you thought everything was going great only to realize you failed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied on Amazonfulfillment.com. A couple weeks later got an email asking what times I would be available for an interview, would I be willing to travel and how soon I was from graduating college. I answered those questions and a couple days latter was set-up for a phone interview. The phone interviewer was nice. Very focused on leadership and how you process and act within certain situations. Was moved on to the second round with an interview at the fulfillment center. They flew me out to Arizona. Hotel, flight, and rental car paid for on behalf of Amazon so that was nice. However, the interview process was not. It's understandable for interviewers to not be gipper and rays of sunshine. However, when your interviewing someone and your looking them up and down with a look of disdain or repeatedly questioning the example that has been given to you and why you don't feel that it is a good example is BS (looking at you HR girl). To add onto that, when I wrapped up my questions for her and informed her that was all, she remarked "umm"with a head jerk. While that particular individual was not a reflection of all employees and interviewers throughout Amazon, that crap was totally unacceptable. Clear-cut case of abuse of power. Despite all the above, I held my ground and sold myself. There are a total of four interviews and they don't last long (supposed to be 30 minutes each). Very impersonal. Overall nice to be flown out and to stay a night at the Hilton but Amazon seriously needs to have its interviewers step their skills up or hire new staff. Tis all.

Interview Questions

• (paraphrasing) "Name a time you had a project/task to complete that didn't go as planned/yield expected results/wern't able to complete".   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saran (France)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Saran (France)) in May 2015.

Interview

Entretien avec 5 personnes avec des pauses qui a duré toute la journée. Un mois plus tard entretien téléphonique avec le Président de AMAZON FR LOGISTIQUE. Comme la plupart des postes chez Amazon, on m'a expliqué qu'il fallait travailler entre 45 et 50 heures par semaine, ce qui ne m'aurait pas dérangé si le salaire et les avantages étaient à la hauteur des rémunérations pour ce type de boulot dans d'autres sociétés. Il fallait également faire le trois-huit et être présent pendant les périodes de pointe, à savoir la plupart des fêtes importantes: noël, réveillon, pâques etc. Une fois l'offre reçue, impossible de négocier, les arguments du RH étaient: - "Orléans est beaucoup moins cher que Paris donc vous devriez accepter" (Je n'habite pas à Paris par ailleurs) - "Un jeune homme espagnol a accepté une offre similaire il n'y a pas longtemps donc vous devriez l'accepter" Suite à ce refus, j'ai contacté un de mes anciens camarades de classe qui travaille chez Amazon afin de savoir si au moins l'ambiance était bonne au sein de la société. grâce a sa réponse j'ai confirmé pourquoi Amazon a une si mauvaise réputation en matière de traitement des employés et rémunération. Finalement j'ai poliment décliné l'offre.

Interview Questions

• Qu'est-ce que vous intéresse chez Amazon? Quels sont les principes de la société. Des exemples de vos expériences précédentes où ces principes sont appliqués   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Chattanooga, TN) in July 2014.

Interview

It was a smooth process. I had a couple of phone calls with hiring personnel and was invited to interview on site at an Amazon fulfillment center. The on site tour and interview was also a smooth process, I was flown on site had a rental car and hotel arranged for me and kept track of expenses to be reimbursed. Overall great process

Interview Questions

• Many different situational questions and some math/analytical questions   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Paris (France)) in June 2015.

Interview

first phone interview with basic questions about cv and past experiences and why the role and why amazon. second phone interview more specific about the role itself, what can you bring to the company. final round with 4 face to face interview in a row with senior managers from different areas and HR manager.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contact via a Military Recruiter for the Area Manager position. A human resources representative emailed me and scheduled a phone interview for later during the week. I called into the conference call and waited, for the entire 30 minutes of length the HR rep said my interview should last. No one on Amazon's side joined and therefore I hung up and emailed the HR rep. She apologized and rescheduled the interview, and after a few hours I completed the phone interview. It was simple, in the STAR format and asked for specific situation and result based questions. The Operations Manager I spoke with was humorous, asked me about myself, my experience and then we went into the interview. This was simple, I was myself and thought it went very well. They ask a general algebra question which initially I answered incorrectly and while explaining my answer realized I had computer it wrong, brought it up and worked through it again with no issues. They want to hear your process of how you get to the answer. I was never contacted back personally by the rep. I had to email to make any contact or get updates on the status of my interview process. I found this odd, but then again was always told I was the manger of my own career, so I continued to pursue and often felt like I was constantly bugging the HR rep for information. However, I was still interested in the position. After emailing her, she responded that I was invited back for an event interview. After two weeks I emailed her asking the status of the second interview, which would be event style, and she stated that there were currently no open positions and that I would, if I was willing, be put into a que with many others waiting for a position to come available. I stayed in touch with her an emailed every two weeks. The last I heard is they were working on scheduling an event interview at a facility by the end of the month (this was on the 7th) and it's a month later and still nothing. Needless to say, I've given up on the position and looked elsewhere. I am disappointed because I admired Amazon, their slogan, work ethic, and people I've met who work there. However, after this experience I can honestly say they're letting good talent slip through the cracks by a lack of attention to detail in their HR department.

Interview Questions

• You have 30 associates, 2 are indirect and not on the floor. Each associate works 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They can produce 150 units per week and have two 15 minute breaks a day. 1.) How many total units can you produce in a 40 hour work week? 2.) If you needed to increase your productivity by 10,000 units a week, how many more associates would you need?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Bernardino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First, a phone screen with a Senior Ops Manager, then an interview "event" at the fulfillment center. There were around 10 other people interviewing for the same position during my event. Interview event consist of a facility tour followed by a math question and 4 45min interviews. The interviews are behavioral based and use the same questions posted here. The math question is the same one on this site, and there is a follow up math question (neither is difficult). Overall it was a good experience, unfortunately I was out competed.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had two separate problems that you discovered had the same underlying cause?   Answer Question