Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

132 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by email for a telephonic screening interview by operations manager in another state. telephonic assessment consisted of situational interview questions and math flow problem concerning production gaols, amount of employees and hrs available per employee,

Interview Question – Tell me about situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Military Relations Recruiter for a preliminary phone screen. We then set a formal phone interview for the next week. A week later I was invited to interview on site. Once on site, I interviewed with 4 different people in a round robin fashion. Each interview last approximately 30 minutes. I was on site from 8 am to noon.

Interview Question – There is a flow problem that you have to present. The person will throw kinks and you have to adjust on the fly. It is very helpful to have some operations experience.   Answer Question

State College, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews in the same day on campus. One with a "Campus Recruiter," one with an Operations Manager from a nearby fulfillment center. Case study and labor allocation math problem. The offer was given less than 24 hours later.
Recruiter asked behavioral interview questions and didn't seem to actually have much information on the actual position itself.
Operations Manager reviewed case study and math portion and answered more specific questions.

Interview Question – Nothing that wasn't posted on this website already.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for campus hires. I didn't try but I heard about others who did and were laughed at.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – One on campus interview. 2 interviews 30 minutes each for internship.

Interview Question – Biggest weakness.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initially conducted a telephone interview with a recruiter. After the initial interview I was referred to the Operations Manager team and invited to attend a hiring event. Before I attended the interview I had to provided a written paper for one of two questions provided. The interview process was with four seperate people for 45 minutes each. One of the interviewers was an HR person while the others were Operations Managers. The first interviewer asked me to introduce myself and provided a synopsis of the writing assignment. There was also a math flow question which I was concerned about but they are not worried about the answer as much as they want to see your problem solving skills. The remaining interviewers asked standard behavioral questions. Overall I would say the interview was in a very relaxing setting.

Interview Question – One interviewer asked me about my resume, well a specific bullet on my resume. Other than that there were no real hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a phone call first stating I did well during the interview and they were inclided to hire me. The offer did not come right away but that was because of my desired location. The actual offer was emailed to me and I had 10 days to accept of decline. I can say the offer was generous and it was easy for me to accept.

Chattanooga, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Went through an initial phone screening which went very smoothly in my opinion, lasted about 40 minutes. I was told that there were several positions in my area where there are 3 facilities so needless to say I was excited about the opportunity. Was contacted soon after for an on-site interview in Chattanooga TN. Once down there the interview process was very smooth and went seamlessly. The production flow problem was a breeze and all other questions were simply related to your past work history and experiences you have had with improving productivity. during the interview I was informed there were no positions in my area! I think my unwillingness to move from the start hurt my chances. I left the interview feeling really good that an offer would come. I work with a lot of ex-Amazon Ops managers and they were all shocked that I didn't receive an offer. Understanding that Amazon interviews and hires a lot of employees, I know that have had there fair share of hits and misses. I received an email a few days later stating that they didn't see a skill set that they could use. It is too bad they cannot give anymore info than that to help individuals in their career. Also, I do have 20 years in the industry and run the day to day operations of a large distribution center, so not sure what skills they are talking about.

Interview Question – No questions caught me off guard, standard questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – 30 minute phone screen. The HR recruiter was extremely knowledgable about process flow/ six sigma. After was flown to a DC where we went on a tour and went through 5 interview sessions (45 mins long).

Interview Question – How is six sigma relevant, what does it mean, calculate dpm.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – The best thing about the process was the admin/coordination from the human resources side of the house and the initial recruiter. The interview is worth going on just to see the Amazon fulfillment warehouse.

I didn't care for any of the operations managers I met during the interview and really thought the position was about two levels below where I should be working post MBA.

People here are awkward and don't really seem to care about their employees under them, I actually dared to answer a question outside of the star format and was rebuked by the interviewer. This isn't a place for creative or entrepreneurial people.

You want the job? Just tell them you are obsessed with process improvements, make up metrics for every single task you have had in your past career and repeat every answer in the STAR format.

For the case study expect them to change the expected rate for station A from 150 to 120 halfway through your shift. You should then adjust your employees from B to make up the difference and justify your shift due to packing station A being the priority and you won't have enough packages coming from pick if you shift labor from there.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, review the math process problems from here which you can find through search and expect the above adjustment or a similar adjustment.

After you have made your calculations I suggest highlighting the priority and understanding how you would shift your labor to ensure this is met.
  Answer Question

Chattanooga, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – First interview was 2 parts. Part 1 was behavioral questions and Part 2 was related to a situation they provided. Each part was with a different person and were 45 minutes long. If the first interview went well they would invite you to a second interview at one of the facilities and have another interview with a manager that had more situation based questions and behavioral questions as well. They make their decision after the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – Business case was a work situation where tasks needed to completed (given constraints) and what steps you would take to get it done. i.e. move workers to different areas, allocate different resources, etc.   Answer Question

Allentown, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2010.

Interview Details – There are 4 case studies provided prior to the interview. If you answer them correctly they will skim over them in the interview. If more clarification is needed, the interviewers will visit the case studies.

Interview Question – They provide a math question, and since the math question appears on Glassdoor and other places they will modify it after you answer it the first time and ask you to provide a new answer   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase differs from person to person. A new hire Area Manager can get 30k sign-on bonus paid 9k (after taxes) in first paycheck and the remaining on your first year anniversary check. If you come right from college, negotiations are not easy but the package is still attractive. What you are offered is in line with the experience or lack of that you bring to the table.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com