Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
140 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an e-mail a couple of weeks later saying they were interested in me after seeing my resume and wanted 3 specific times I would be available for a phone interview with an Operations Manager. A few days after I replied I received an e-mail stating the time I would be receiving a call and to confirm. I received the call right on time and the interview lasted around 30-40 minutes but I had lots of questions after the actual interview was complete. Standard situational questions. Interview went well needless to say and a few more days later I received an e-mail stating I had been selected for an in person interview. The e-mail contained some instructions for what to do and not to do at the facility and what not to bring with you. Do not bring your cell phone with you to even check in at the front desk, it will count against you if you do. Also attached to the e-mail were some case study questions to be answered and sent back to the recruiter. Again, confirmation was requested in the e-mail, be sure to do so ASAP. The recruiters are very friendly and are there to help you with any questions you might have. But, honestly, they don't have a lot of knowledge on what happens at the facility. The in person interview lasts 5 hours and you will be interviewed by five people and have a 30 min tour of the facility you are interviewing at, Some people might actually come in from out of state and your travel expenses will be comped. I live 30 min away from the facility so I had no real expenses for travel. It was an extensive interview process to say the least. Most interviews I've been in or given last 45 minutes to maybe 1.5 hours. Don't be fooled by the whole "we are in innovative company and want innovative people" slogan. Its not true, they want people who follow the established process, keep their heads down and do their job. After you have been there for a year or more, THEN you can say something about the process. See, I came from in industry that is always improving, so I have a trained eye for where things can improve. I made the mistake of mentioning a couple of ways they could improve just by what I saw during the tour and they didn't like that very much. If you want the job, love what you see. During the interviews make sure you stick to the point, don't get caught up in your story, keep your answers detailed but as short as possible and use the STAR format. They love that. The Math question is given to you before the interviews and you have 15 minutes to "solve" the problem. There is an answer, don't be afraid to get into decimals like .5 or .75 if you can. You are given a calculator and its not that hard, not easy but certainly not hard either. I signed a non disclosure so I can't specify the rate problem but I will tell you that it is available on this site, at least the problem I received. One of the interviewers will go over the math problem with you and after you explain your thoughts and how you came to your conclusion they will throw a curve ball at you. Again, its not hard or easy but if you think aloud and consider all the implications you will do well. They are looking for professional people not excited, promoter style friendly people. They want serious, not stuffy but on point people who will get the job done. Keep a straight face, don't make jokes, be positive but not excited and you'll get the offer. I misunderstood my audience, thinking they were looking for creative people who are innovators and passionate about their job. They may want passion but not the "marketing" kind of creativity and passion. They aren't about sales per say at the distribution centers, at least that's the feeling I got, its not their job to sell but to perform. I'm all about sales, w/o sales there is no reason to have a DC... To them, its the web designers job to sell and theirs to get the product to the customer. I definitely agree with getting the job done efficiently and they do a great job, I think they would do much better if they had some sales minded people in their DC, but its their company vision not mine. I did get an offer, but after the experience I had, with the answers I got to my questions I decided to look elsewhere. If you take the job be prepared to work lots of hours for not lots of pay. Its not until you get to the Senior Operations Manager level that the real fun begins and you can think of ways to improve the company and process. Till then, shut up and do your JOB! Seriously, this is of course my opinion on what I saw and heard, it may be different after all. The interview took place on a Thursday afternoon and I received the offer request by e-mail on Monday but never had the offer conversation.

Interview Question – Be careful how you reply to why you are looking for another job, why you are not happy with your current or previous position. The HR interviewer will ask this question and how you answer it could kill you.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – As I said in the interview description, seems like a lot of work for not enough pay and they are NOT looking for creative innovators but, for lack of a better word, drones, to do their jobs and shut up. I'm far to creative and experienced to work for a company that stifles creativity till you get into upper management.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Although the process was lengthy, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We were able to show up in business casual (emphasis on the casual) clothes and were led to a room with about 10-15 others. There were four rounds of on-on-one interviews - all behavioral, with one being a math flow problem - and then were given a tour of the Fulfillment Center. Although I did a ton of my own research, I learned so much about the company, their processes, and what they are looking for in an Area Manager. Overall, it was a pleasant process.

Interview Question – Math flow problem took some time to figure out exactly what I was solving for. But once you get it it's pretty easy.   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Long wait at times but when the process starts with the phone screen its quick.

Interview Question – Be prepared for the math flow question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – some room to negotiate when you have the experience

Area Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Long process, 6+weeks only to be let down by a phone interview. 2 x Phone Screens, 1 math problem, 1 Phone interview with hiring manager. Long process, 6+weeks only to be let down by a phone interview. 2 x Phone Screens, 1 math problem, 1 Phone interview with hiring manager.

Interview Question – production floor math problem   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – A full morning, starting at 7AM, starting with a Fulfillment Center tour and 4 back-to-back interviews, each 45 mins to an hour long. The tour was informative and an excellent opportunity to ask questions. One of the interviews will involve an HR rep, with some case studies. All other interviews are to be answered in typical STAR format, with few curveballs. One of the interviewers will want to see your work and thought-process for a work flow question, along with some variables thrown in. If you know basic algebra, you'll do fine.

Interview Question – HR Question: If one of your workers comes up to you and complains that someone gave her a weird look in the morning, what do you do?   View Answer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Math question was easy. Be prepared for curve balls. Be clear, concise.

Interview Question – Math question   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – The process is very normal but it took them a long time to get back to me. If one person during the panel interview does not want to hire you then you are done.

Interview Question – No a hard question but understand the flow process for a warehouse   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is hard to negotiate considering there are a lot of people who want the job and are will to work for less

Very Easy Interview

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I initially applied online and received a call from a recruiter approximately 3 weeks later. He asked a few basic questions and offered to set a date and time for a full phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a math question which was sent in advance via email - no problems here. The phone interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and I received an offer to interview in person.

The onsite interview was scheduled at one of Amazon's fulfillment centers in a different state from where I lived at the time. Amazon paid for my airfare, hotel, transportation, meals, etc. As other reviewers have mentioned, it is worth going to the interview just to see the operation.

Amazon interviews potential managers in groups and there were 8 people in my group. We were escorted into a conference room with our recruiter who gave us a new math problem - again, no worries if you know basic algebra. We were each given a tour and two 1:1 interviews but others have had different experiences - YMMV.

The building where I interviewed was recently opened so the tour was incomplete but I was given a good idea about the work environment. Amazon likes to show off their best buildings during the interview process so keep this in mind if you interview at a new building and decide to work in an older building.

The first interview was with an Area Manager who had been with the company for less than a year. She was very friendly and asked questions in the STAR format. I felt at ease and she didn't try to pose any difficult or tricky questions. I was able to read her expressions easily and knew the interview went well.

The second interview was with an Ops Manager who happened to be a former Marine. He kept a poker face and we discussed the math problem. At some point your interviewer will change a component of the question and ask you to recalculate. Just stay calm and explain your thought process - there are no tricks. He also asked me a few questions about my education and offered to answer any other questions I might have.

Overall I don't have a single negative thing to say about the interview process. Everyone was extremely friendly and seemed to be genuinely interested in the hiring process.

I should point out that your interviewer can be anyone who has completed Amazon's 4-5 hour hiring course. This does not make them a seasoned/skilled interviewer and a few of my colleagues have had some interesting experiences.

Area Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by email for a telephonic screening interview by operations manager in another state. telephonic assessment consisted of situational interview questions and math flow problem concerning production gaols, amount of employees and hrs available per employee,

Interview Question – Tell me about situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Military Relations Recruiter for a preliminary phone screen. We then set a formal phone interview for the next week. A week later I was invited to interview on site. Once on site, I interviewed with 4 different people in a round robin fashion. Each interview last approximately 30 minutes. I was on site from 8 am to noon.

Interview Question – There is a flow problem that you have to present. The person will throw kinks and you have to adjust on the fly. It is very helpful to have some operations experience.   Answer Question