Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.2

141 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

I was contacted by the Military Relations Recruiter for a preliminary phone screen. We then set a formal phone interview for the next week. A week later I was invited to interview on site. Once on site, I interviewed with 4 different people in a round robin fashion. Each interview last approximately 30 minutes. I was on site from 8 am to noon.

Interview Questions
  • There is a flow problem that you have to present. The person will throw kinks and you have to adjust on the fly. It is very helpful to have some operations experience.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  State College, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

Two interviews in the same day on campus. One with a "Campus Recruiter," one with an Operations Manager from a nearby fulfillment center. Case study and labor allocation math problem. The offer was given less than 24 hours later.
    Recruiter asked behavioral interview questions and didn't seem to actually have much information on the actual position itself.
    Operations Manager reviewed case study and math portion and answered more specific questions.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for campus hires. I didn't try but I heard about others who did and were laughed at.

Area Manager Interview

One on campus interview. 2 interviews 30 minutes each for internship.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Initially conducted a telephone interview with a recruiter. After the initial interview I was referred to the Operations Manager team and invited to attend a hiring event. Before I attended the interview I had to provided a written paper for one of two questions provided. The interview process was with four seperate people for 45 minutes each. One of the interviewers was an HR person while the others were Operations Managers. The first interviewer asked me to introduce myself and provided a synopsis of the writing assignment. There was also a math flow question which I was concerned about but they are not worried about the answer as much as they want to see your problem solving skills. The remaining interviewers asked standard behavioral questions. Overall I would say the interview was in a very relaxing setting.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked me about my resume, well a specific bullet on my resume. Other than that there were no real hard questions.   Answer Question
    I received a phone call first stating I did well during the interview and they were inclided to hire me. The offer did not come right away but that was because of my desired location. The actual offer was emailed to me and I had 10 days to accept of decline. I can say the offer was generous and it was easy for me to accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Went through an initial phone screening which went very smoothly in my opinion, lasted about 40 minutes. I was told that there were several positions in my area where there are 3 facilities so needless to say I was excited about the opportunity. Was contacted soon after for an on-site interview in Chattanooga TN. Once down there the interview process was very smooth and went seamlessly. The production flow problem was a breeze and all other questions were simply related to your past work history and experiences you have had with improving productivity. during the interview I was informed there were no positions in my area! I think my unwillingness to move from the start hurt my chances. I left the interview feeling really good that an offer would come. I work with a lot of ex-Amazon Ops managers and they were all shocked that I didn't receive an offer. Understanding that Amazon interviews and hires a lot of employees, I know that have had there fair share of hits and misses. I received an email a few days later stating that they didn't see a skill set that they could use. It is too bad they cannot give anymore info than that to help individuals in their career. Also, I do have 20 years in the industry and run the day to day operations of a large distribution center, so not sure what skills they are talking about.

Area Manager Interview

30 minute phone screen. The HR recruiter was extremely knowledgable about process flow/ six sigma. After was flown to a DC where we went on a tour and went through 5 interview sessions (45 mins long).

Interview Questions
    • How is six sigma relevant, what does it mean, calculate dpm.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

The best thing about the process was the admin/coordination from the human resources side of the house and the initial recruiter. The interview is worth going on just to see the Amazon fulfillment warehouse.

I didn't care for any of the operations managers I met during the interview and really thought the position was about two levels below where I should be working post MBA.

People here are awkward and don't really seem to care about their employees under them, I actually dared to answer a question outside of the star format and was rebuked by the interviewer. This isn't a place for creative or entrepreneurial people.

You want the job? Just tell them you are obsessed with process improvements, make up metrics for every single task you have had in your past career and repeat every answer in the STAR format.

For the case study expect them to change the expected rate for station A from 150 to 120 halfway through your shift. You should then adjust your employees from B to make up the difference and justify your shift due to packing station A being the priority and you won't have enough packages coming from pick if you shift labor from there.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, review the math process problems from here which you can find through search and expect the above adjustment or a similar adjustment.

After you have made your calculations I suggest highlighting the priority and understanding how you would shift your labor to ensure this is met.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

First interview was 2 parts. Part 1 was behavioral questions and Part 2 was related to a situation they provided. Each part was with a different person and were 45 minutes long. If the first interview went well they would invite you to a second interview at one of the facilities and have another interview with a manager that had more situation based questions and behavioral questions as well. They make their decision after the 2nd interview.

Interview Questions
    • Business case was a work situation where tasks needed to completed (given constraints) and what steps you would take to get it done. i.e. move workers to different areas, allocate different resources, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2010.

There are 4 case studies provided prior to the interview. If you answer them correctly they will skim over them in the interview. If more clarification is needed, the interviewers will visit the case studies.

Interview Questions
    • They provide a math question, and since the math question appears on Glassdoor and other places they will modify it after you answer it the first time and ask you to provide a new answer   View Answer
    The negotiation phase differs from person to person. A new hire Area Manager can get 30k sign-on bonus paid 9k (after taxes) in first paycheck and the remaining on your first year anniversary check. If you come right from college, negotiations are not easy but the package is still attractive. What you are offered is in line with the experience or lack of that you bring to the table.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

1) Phone Screen
    2) Onsite Interview - 4 - Individual 1:1 Interviews
    a) One interview is a Algebra Problem - (Do not stress over) - Case Study Problem (You just talk the interviewer through situation you were asked to email in before your onsite interview
    3) Rental Car and Hotel will be provided on Amazon - Food & Beverage expenses you will need to cover and then submit an expense report

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question rattled me. However the common theme questions from each interview was why do you want to leave the food and beverage industry for the logistics industry   Answer Question