Amazon.com Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

3.2

147 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Area Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

A full morning, starting at 7AM, starting with a Fulfillment Center tour and 4 back-to-back interviews, each 45 mins to an hour long. The tour was informative and an excellent opportunity to ask questions. One of the interviews will involve an HR rep, with some case studies. All other interviews are to be answered in typical STAR format, with few curveballs. One of the interviewers will want to see your work and thought-process for a work flow question, along with some variables thrown in. If you know basic algebra, you'll do fine.

Interview Questions
  • HR Question: If one of your workers comes up to you and complains that someone gave her a weird look in the morning, what do you do?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Area Manager Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Had initial email correspondence then a phone interview with one of the managers are the facility I applied for. Pretty basic interview questions displaying my strengths and prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • The math curveball question, as others have stated was tough!   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Contacted by email for a telephonic screening interview by operations manager in another state. telephonic assessment consisted of situational interview questions and math flow problem concerning production gaols, amount of employees and hrs available per employee,

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

One on campus interview. 2 interviews 30 minutes each for internship.

Area Manager Interview

30 minute phone screen. The HR recruiter was extremely knowledgable about process flow/ six sigma. After was flown to a DC where we went on a tour and went through 5 interview sessions (45 mins long).

Interview Questions
    • How is six sigma relevant, what does it mean, calculate dpm.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

First interview was 2 parts. Part 1 was behavioral questions and Part 2 was related to a situation they provided. Each part was with a different person and were 45 minutes long. If the first interview went well they would invite you to a second interview at one of the facilities and have another interview with a manager that had more situation based questions and behavioral questions as well. They make their decision after the 2nd interview.

Interview Questions
    • Business case was a work situation where tasks needed to completed (given constraints) and what steps you would take to get it done. i.e. move workers to different areas, allocate different resources, etc.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Initially conducted a telephone interview with a recruiter. After the initial interview I was referred to the Operations Manager team and invited to attend a hiring event. Before I attended the interview I had to provided a written paper for one of two questions provided. The interview process was with four seperate people for 45 minutes each. One of the interviewers was an HR person while the others were Operations Managers. The first interviewer asked me to introduce myself and provided a synopsis of the writing assignment. There was also a math flow question which I was concerned about but they are not worried about the answer as much as they want to see your problem solving skills. The remaining interviewers asked standard behavioral questions. Overall I would say the interview was in a very relaxing setting.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked me about my resume, well a specific bullet on my resume. Other than that there were no real hard questions.   Answer Question
    I received a phone call first stating I did well during the interview and they were inclided to hire me. The offer did not come right away but that was because of my desired location. The actual offer was emailed to me and I had 10 days to accept of decline. I can say the offer was generous and it was easy for me to accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Went through an initial phone screening which went very smoothly in my opinion, lasted about 40 minutes. I was told that there were several positions in my area where there are 3 facilities so needless to say I was excited about the opportunity. Was contacted soon after for an on-site interview in Chattanooga TN. Once down there the interview process was very smooth and went seamlessly. The production flow problem was a breeze and all other questions were simply related to your past work history and experiences you have had with improving productivity. during the interview I was informed there were no positions in my area! I think my unwillingness to move from the start hurt my chances. I left the interview feeling really good that an offer would come. I work with a lot of ex-Amazon Ops managers and they were all shocked that I didn't receive an offer. Understanding that Amazon interviews and hires a lot of employees, I know that have had there fair share of hits and misses. I received an email a few days later stating that they didn't see a skill set that they could use. It is too bad they cannot give anymore info than that to help individuals in their career. Also, I do have 20 years in the industry and run the day to day operations of a large distribution center, so not sure what skills they are talking about.

Area Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

The best thing about the process was the admin/coordination from the human resources side of the house and the initial recruiter. The interview is worth going on just to see the Amazon fulfillment warehouse.

I didn't care for any of the operations managers I met during the interview and really thought the position was about two levels below where I should be working post MBA.

People here are awkward and don't really seem to care about their employees under them, I actually dared to answer a question outside of the star format and was rebuked by the interviewer. This isn't a place for creative or entrepreneurial people.

You want the job? Just tell them you are obsessed with process improvements, make up metrics for every single task you have had in your past career and repeat every answer in the STAR format.

For the case study expect them to change the expected rate for station A from 150 to 120 halfway through your shift. You should then adjust your employees from B to make up the difference and justify your shift due to packing station A being the priority and you won't have enough packages coming from pick if you shift labor from there.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, review the math process problems from here which you can find through search and expect the above adjustment or a similar adjustment.

After you have made your calculations I suggest highlighting the priority and understanding how you would shift your labor to ensure this is met.
        Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Long wait at times but when the process starts with the phone screen its quick.

Interview Questions
    some room to negotiate when you have the experience