Amazon.com

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.2

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online. Got a call for a phone interview a few days later. That went well and got the email. They flew me to South Carolina for a tour of the facility and 4, 30 minute interviews. Questions were pretty basic. Overall a great experience. Haven't heard back and it has been 3 weeks.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through my school and online. A few months after initially interviewing they reached out and invited me to interview at my school. Couple hours after my initial interview they invited me for an onsite interview. They informed me of their decision 3 days after the on site interview. Overall neutral experience.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of questions and followed up by asking how my contribution helped the company, specifically looking for x% cost reduced, sales increased, etc. They also asked a math flow question and a behavioral what-would-you-do scenario question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

First exchanged emails with a recruiter who I later had a phone interview with. One week later I was invited I site for a face to face I interview which consisted of meeting with 4 people for 45 minutes. It also included a math flow problem and a case study which was provided to me prior and then discussed in two of the interviews. Math flow was very easy and the case study questions are common sense stuff. It was a little nerve racking meeting, but my interviewers were incredibly friendly and easy to talk to. I enjoyed hearing about their experience a within the company and they seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Overall it really was an enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • None were really unexpected as they were all your typical behavior based questions except with the added twist of being data and metrics driven. Example: tell me about a time you analyzed historical data to make a process better...etc.   View Answer
    The offer was above what my salary expectation was so I did not attempt to negotiate.

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Phone Interview. Then On-Site interview that lasted 4 hours, 4 different interviews

Interview Questions
    • Situational question regarding 2 employees that consistently arrive late for work. You discipline the employee under you, but the other employee is not disciplined by another manager. How do you handle this situation? Your employee keeps bothering and telling you that the other employee is not getting disciplined by their manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

First met the recruiting team at a career fair and later that day had a 2hrs interview with a Sr. Operations Manager. Next, a phone screen was conducted with the General Manager of the facility where I would later get an offer. I was flown to the site of the fulfillment center and had a tour of the facility, completed a math test (work rates, flow rates, etc.), and conducted several interviews that consisted of a panel of 5 leaders in that particular facility and then a 2-on-1 with the GM/HR Head. The process took approximately 4hrs.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you have an employee how did not meet your expectations and describe what you did about this situation. How much do you know about Amazon / our operations here in this city.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

So they fly you out to a fulfillment center after doing a phone interview. You are taken on a 45 minute tour of the facility. Then you through 4 interviews which consist of behavior or situation questions. There is a math flow problem you do before the interviews and then your work and results are to be explained to the interviewee which is an operations mgr. Two interviews are given by operation managers, one HR mgr., and the other by an area mgr.

Math Flow (Exact Question):

You have an upstream picking department that feeds two downstream packing departments: pack singles and pack multis. Those packing departments feed to a shipping department that loads the outgoing trucks.

30% of your pick volume goes to pack singles and has a packing rate of 171 units per labor hour (uph). 70% of the pick volume goes to pack multis and has a pack rate of 266 units per labor hour.

Your pickers pick both single and multis items throughout the day at an overall average rate of 114 units per labor hour. All units that are packed in both processes go through the ship process at a rate of 570 units per hour.

You have 102 people today for all 4 departments and you have to pack 47,780 units in pack multis items to meet customer promise metric.

How do you allocate labor to balance the flow in your department if you work a 10 hour shift? No breaks or lunches.

Fill out table: Answers included

Department % of volume Rate (uph) People Daily Volume
    Pick 100% 114 60 47,880
    Pack Singles 30% 171 12 20,520
    Pack Multis 70% 266 18 47,880
    Ship 100% 570 12 x

Interview Questions

The pay wasn't very good, location choice was horrible, you can't take a vacation or practically see your family november through january because of peak season. Would $45,000 a year sound good for a very fast pace environment with lots of tasks including lots of overtime november through december with no difference in pay for overtime.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

In the final round you will be fortunate enough to tour the fulfillment center. After the tour interviews will commence. You will have the chance to meet actual people who work there and ask any questions that you may have regarding the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to deal with ambiguity.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Area Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Filled out an application online and received a phone call from a recruiter less than a week later for a phone screening. After the phone interview I was scheduled for an on-site tour and interview at one of their fulfillment centers.

They do have a variety of forms to fill out and material to read before attending the tour and interview. I was required to sign an NDA but I can say that there is a math problem very similar in another review here. I interviewed with an HR manager, a veteran area manager, and a fairly new area manager. The HR Manager and veteran area manager both seemed to have a very arrogant and elitist attitude. The new area manager was a pretty nice guy and was very honest about having to work 70-90 hour work weeks at certain points during the season. They offer an excellent starting salary but this particular position looks like a textbook definition of what 'golden handcuffs' should be.

I was told at every step of the interview process by the recruiter that I would be informed of their decision even if it meant I was not extended an offer of employment. I never heard anything back from them which sincerely surprised me about a company I would have expected much more professionalism out of.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me about the phrasing of something in my resume. Very condescendingly too I might add.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Met with interviewer during the career showcase. Talked about the company with him for about 15 minutes and immediately after got an offer to come back the next day for an interview.

During the interview it was very relaxed, mostly going over my resume and past experiences. Received a case study question, but they were only interested in your process on how you got the answer.

After the interview I was told on the spot that they loved me and that I would be receiving an interview at one of their facilities within the next few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If an employee was cleaning a process incorrectly (not following proper protocol), what should I do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

first was a phone interview where they ask you basic interview questions at the end of the interview they will have you do a basic math problem, make sure you do well on the problem. If you do well on the phone interview they will bring you to a different location where you will again do a work flow math problem, then you will do around 5 interviews focusing on amazon leadership principles.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a employee who showed up late?   Answer Question