Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews followed by an day-long, on-site interview in Seattle. The first phone interview is mostly behavioral; the second involved a couple of analytical questions and a brief case-like question.

Interview Question – Describe how you would build a new product category at Amazon   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation; I liked my offer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied via the Amazon jobs portal and received an invitation to do a video-interview online a day or two later. This video interview was one sided - the webtool would show a question (text) and then record my response via webcam. Only 8 questions, one of which was case-ish (how would I price such and such). Other questions were "Tell us about a time when..."

Next round was a phone call with my future manager (I didn't know that at the time). A couple of "tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?" It was intense but I strongly disagree with most of the other reviewers here - it was not a negative experience, just intense. She really wanted to get a feel for my fit with Amazon's Leadership Principles.

A couple of days later I was invited out to the HQ in Seattle for a half-day of in-person interviews. I had 4 interviews and one "test". The interviews were exactly the same format as the phone call I described above, although I have to say they were downright positive interviews. I knew why they were digging so hard and didn't take the digging personally. I think because I recognized that fact, they turned out to be very fun conversations exploring why I did what and what could have been better. The "test" was 45 minutes of me working through pricing a list of products in Excel alone in a room. I have ZERO pricing experience and it wasn't hard to pick up.

I got the offer three days later. An incredibly generous offer, I may add.

My advice to any interviewers with Amazon: Don't take their digging personally. They're trying to understand you, not judge you. It may feel like the same thing, but it's not. If you keep that perspective, interviewing with Amazon can be a lot of fun.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I only declined because I received an offer for a more attractive role elsewhere. Everyone I interviewed with at Amazon was awesome, I had a great time, and the offer itself was very generous. I'm still kind of sick to my stomach for turning them down.

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my campus career portal. Someone from HR reached out within 2-3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and focused around managing relationships with accounts. Passing this round I was invited to Seattle for a final round interview. There was about 20 people in my group from different schools, of which they took four. The morning was dedicated to an accounting case. Amazon had an employee teach us a form of accounting and then we were to use those teachings to solve a 45 minute case. From here we split into teams and spent 20 minutes dissecting a product and its key aspects (how to market it, costs, margin, etc). The afternoon was a three hour case spent working with a different team. We had two observers in the room while we dissected the case and determined what Amazon's actions should be moving forward.

Interview Question – How would Amazon sell hovercrafts on its site?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are not able to negotiate. I was able to get my start date moved back and I suggest asking for that early if that what youd like to do.

Brand Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interviews were both conducted over the phone. The first interview was with a member of the team I was being interviewed for, and it was a very comfortable process. The second interview was with a manager on the team, who manages multiple people in the position I was interviewing for (I assume my potential manager). Both interviews asked a couple (2-3) personal questions associated with my resume, but there were also pricing questions associated with the job.

Interview Question – I did not expect multiple pricing questions in my first interview.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Somewat difficult

Interview Question – What do you do when people say no to you   Answer Question

Branding Specialist Interview

Branding Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – There were 2 phone interviews, one with the hiring manager and one with a similar manager. The questions were mostly about my current job and some small case-like questions.

A recruiter then schedules an on-site interview in Seattle. Strange flight aside, the interviews started early in the morning and ended in the late afternoon. It is advisable to get a lot of rest the night before.

There were 6 one-hour, in-person interviews. The questions were mostly "tell me about a time when..." There were a few small cases about products and promotions. The interviewers also get hung up on your current job so be sure to explain how it's applicable to branding. Most interviews started late; one was over 40 minutes late, another forgot what the room was. They do provide lunch but in an interview setting.

The data assessment was midway between the 6 interviews, so be prepared to get back into interview mode at any point. It is interesting to note that the Office products on the assessment laptop were not activated, which led to the sheets crashing when entering text responses, and this was duly evidenced. Very disappointing and unprofessional for a technology company.

There is also a bar raiser. They are meant to be pushy and tough. Mine happened to also be rude and unyielding, even slamming certain jobs on my resume. Another manager scanned my resume and could not resist pointing out a college rivalry several times. Also very unprofessional.

Do not expect a lovely host experience, like with Google or Microsoft. You will be shuffled into your interviews and quickly shuffled out. There are no tours, no information about what the department is doing, and no interactions with employees aside from your interviewers.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when..." x 100 and it's usually something negative (you faced a challenge, did not get along with a co-worker, disagreed with a manager, etc.).   Answer Question

Brand Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – 2- Phone Calls
Final would have been an on site interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without a supervisor's approval?
General Forecasting questions, Examples of data/spreadsheet work
  Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – First interview consisted of a video interview, where I basically recorded my answers to questions via a app. There were 8 questions, 3 minutes to answer each, 30 seconds to prep for each question. A little thrown off, as I was expecting the interview to be mostly behavioral-based, with maybe 1 case question. There ended up being 4 case questions if I remember correctly. The 2nd interview was with the hiring manager and it was over the phone. It lasted around 45 minutes and contained both behavioral and case questions. Make sure you study hard on their various promotions, as questions were heavily geared towards that (i.e. "if we are discounting x product by 20%, how would you promote this promotion to customers?"). Sign up for emails before interview and study the promos they send you. Also, make sure you have a very good understanding of the site and its functionality. The interviewer was extremely nice and personable. He laughed when I said funny things and answered my questions very well. I thought I had done well on the phone interviewer, but was not invited onsite. I believe this has a lot to do with my lack of experience, even though the interview itself was good.

Interview Question – If you were to discount 10 DVDs for a certain in-store promotion, how would you pick the DVDs and how would you measure the event's success?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral and was contacted within a few days. The process consisted of one video interview, one phone interview, and the final on-site interviews. All 3 types of interviews consisted of both behavioral questions and case study questions. The phone interview lasted for one hour, and the on-site interviews lasted for about 6 hours, with 5 hour long interviews and an assessment test. The assessment test consisted of carrying out a pricing project in excel with large amounts of data. I was told several times that completion of the project within the allotted time was crucial. The interviewers clearly wanted in depth, very concise, and very analytical responses to each question asked. The environment at Amazon seemed as though it would be innovative and challenging, but very high-stress and very high-pressure.

Interview Question – What is your favorite book? If presented with the option to send out a marketing email for this book, would you or would you not? Why? If you decided to send one out, what would you include in the email, who would you send it to, how would you decide on all of these things, and which metrics would you use to analyze if the email was a success?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend who was a Brand Specialist himself at the time. The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one final interview on site. The two phone interviews were scheduled back to back each lasting about 30 minutes although they tell you they will be about 45 minutes each. Most of the questions were behavioral but interviewer seemed like he was going through the motions. The interview did not feel conversational at all.

Interview Question – How would you determine the right amount of iPad accessories to sell next quarter?   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!