Amazon.com

Updated Nov 17, 2014

3.8

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

Potential hires go through a loop with up to six current employees. One will be a "bar raiser" who gives you the most challenging questions or asks/puts you in uncomfortable situations to test how you react. Stay cool! Lots of problem solving questions without real answers, but they're looking for how you navigate each problem and your thought process. Be concise and ask questions back if you don't fully understand.

Interview Questions
  • A company doesn't want to work with Amazon because of their loyalty to one of your competitors. You're in an elevator with that company's CEO, how do you convince him to work with you in 30 seconds?   View Answers (2)
Very little I could negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

I applied through an employee referral and was contacted within a few days. The process consisted of one video interview, one phone interview, and the final on-site interviews. All 3 types of interviews consisted of both behavioral questions and case study questions. The phone interview lasted for one hour, and the on-site interviews lasted for about 6 hours, with 5 hour long interviews and an assessment test. The assessment test consisted of carrying out a pricing project in excel with large amounts of data. I was told several times that completion of the project within the allotted time was crucial. The interviewers clearly wanted in depth, very concise, and very analytical responses to each question asked. The environment at Amazon seemed as though it would be innovative and challenging, but very high-stress and very high-pressure.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book? If presented with the option to send out a marketing email for this book, would you or would you not? Why? If you decided to send one out, what would you include in the email, who would you send it to, how would you decide on all of these things, and which metrics would you use to analyze if the email was a success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Met recruiter at college career fair.

The first round was a phone interview, one-on-one. Questions included: "You have 2 minutes to give me two strengths and two weaknesses. Go." He also gave me a mini-case. It was not especially difficult, and he gave me some help when I got stuck. I think it was partially a stress test because he was very pushy and always wanted us to move faster, and he ended the interview very abruptly. I nearly had to yell at the end to get his information before he ended the call.

Amazon then flew me to Seattle for an all-day interview session. Most of the interviewing consisted of group case presentations (2), but there was also an individual written test. I was not a business major, and it was very difficult. It was the organic chemistry of the day - the weed-out course.

I got an email within 3 days that told me I had not gotten the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online through amazon.jobs as a pending university graduate.

After submitting my resume and online profile I was contacted via email to move onto stage two - an online math/reasoning assessment and a personality test. The two tests combined took an hour. Assessment test was about 20 math and logical reasoning questions, none of which were particularly difficult or memorable. Personality test was long with multiple choices to gauge how you would react or respond in certain situations.

After successfully completing the online tests I was invited to the final round at their headquarters in Seattle. Travel, food, and hotel were all reimbursed. There were about 25 candidates. Day started with breakfast at 8AM followed by a tour of the buildings/campus until 10AM. Then everyone gathered in a room for a presentation given by a senior employee. The presentation regarded retail math with financial terms and equations that were to be used in the subsequent exercise - presentation took about 30 minutes. Then everyone was given a worksheet that asked how you would price and sell a coffeemaker produced by a new vendor. You are expected to use the equations you learned to create a business plan and a Profit & Loss statement. This took about 30-40 minutes. Note: everything must be be finished according to schedule and we were behind schedule, resulting in less time than previously allotted for these exercises.

After this, everyone was assigned to a group of ~5 and given the task to sell a product that had been struggling to make sales or profits. You are given the Profit & Loss data as well as other useful information. There are two current Brand Specialists who watch the group and take notes. This exercise is about 40 minutes and is followed by a 5-10 minute presentation per group. At this point there are about 10 current Brand Specialists in the room who will ask very specific questions during the Q&A following the presentations.

Lunch.

Finally, a two hour case study with a new group of ~5. They put you in a different room with two different observers. Case study was to prepare to launch a new department called Amazon Pets. We got a worksheet with relevant information, questions to answer, and other data. Afterwards, we presented to yet another pair of observers who grilled us on Q&A for 10-20 minutes.

The day is extremely fast-paced and tries to put you into group settings that represent actual work and work environments. Not everyone is cut out for this and it will be obvious at the end of the day.

Interview Questions
    • Current Brand Specialists asked very specific questions regarding your model, data, and numbers during the Q&A's. Tough to prepare for - gotta think quickly.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

I've had 2 x 45 minute phone interviews where they asked you competency based questions around previous behaviours and experiences against their leadership principles. The next stage is a 5 hour interview on-site.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you used data to make improvements. What would you change on our website.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through the career center at my university. after 2 weeks I received an email that i was invited to take an online assessment. i had only a few days to complete it. the assessment was challenging and fast paced. think GRE logic questions

Interview Questions
    • a 100+ question personality test, all you can do is be honest, the questions are somewhat bizarre and there is no obvious right choice   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Starts with a phone interview, followed by in-person interview at headquarters. Lots of questions with short time to respond. Keep your responses concise and on-point. With adequate preparation, it shouldn't be too difficult. Didn't get past the phone interview...seemed as though the recruiter was uninterested and ready to do something else.

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

There are several interviews over the phone before the face to face interview. First is the interview with the Category hiring manager which lasted about 20-30 minutes discussing the best possible fit/position with the organization. The next interview is the interview with the Manager which lasted about any hour asking much more detailed questions related to the actual position interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • Expect questions asking for input. For instance, "What would you do if we decide to..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Two phone interviews followed by an day-long, on-site interview in Seattle. The first phone interview is mostly behavioral; the second involved a couple of analytical questions and a brief case-like question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would build a new product category at Amazon   View Answer
    Very little negotiation; I liked my offer

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

After aggressively contacting me via LinkedIn; I was asked to submit a video interview via HireVue about 3 weeks after my initial email exchange with my recruiter. However, never received an phone screen call with a recruiter to discuss my background, resume & career goals and never had an opportunity to better understand the position I was applying for with the recruitment team. I passed the video interview and had my phone interview with the hiring manager for the job, and was invited for the in-person interviews.

The in person interviews were a combination of CAR (challenge, action, resolution) questions and what-if scenarios. There wasn't a lot of confusion with the questions, but each interviewer wanted more detail and I felt I gave a very strong amount. A few of my interviews were double-interviews so that HR could train more people on interviewing. I felt like this wasn't a very respectful thing to do to an interviewee since many of the interviewers struggled to ask detailed questions, collect their thoughts or engage in followup questions. After 2 interviews I had lunch with a manager on the team (They told me it was going to be a peer-to-peer lunch, but it wasn't), and this was a very awkward encounter as the manager was not friendly or engaging with me. (I was pulling teeth to strike up a conversation about the business, culture, and getting nowhere fast).

The interviews were starting to run late and I kept being rushed from one to another. Overall I had three interviews that had two people in them each and I did not think this was a professional way to handle the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of promotional "what-if" questions and then throw in wrenches to your initial response. There's also an Excel-based "pricing" assessment which can be time-consuming and I was unsure of the point of the exercise.

Also everyone has a different understanding of "work/life balance" but essentially you can forget about life if you accept a position.
        View Answer