Amazon.com Brand Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014

3.7

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was reached out to by a sourcing recruiter, who said she had found a great opening for me if I was interested. I spoke with her informally first, then had a first round with one team member, followed by a second round with a higher ranking team member.

Interview Questions
  • There was nothing specifically difficult. Make sure you know the core Amazon principles though!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

After aggressively contacting me via LinkedIn; I was asked to submit a video interview via HireVue about 3 weeks after my initial email exchange with my recruiter. However, never received an phone screen call with a recruiter to discuss my background, resume & career goals and never had an opportunity to better understand the position I was applying for with the recruitment team. I passed the video interview and had my phone interview with the hiring manager for the job, and was invited for the in-person interviews.

The in person interviews were a combination of CAR (challenge, action, resolution) questions and what-if scenarios. There wasn't a lot of confusion with the questions, but each interviewer wanted more detail and I felt I gave a very strong amount. A few of my interviews were double-interviews so that HR could train more people on interviewing. I felt like this wasn't a very respectful thing to do to an interviewee since many of the interviewers struggled to ask detailed questions, collect their thoughts or engage in followup questions. After 2 interviews I had lunch with a manager on the team (They told me it was going to be a peer-to-peer lunch, but it wasn't), and this was a very awkward encounter as the manager was not friendly or engaging with me. (I was pulling teeth to strike up a conversation about the business, culture, and getting nowhere fast).

The interviews were starting to run late and I kept being rushed from one to another. Overall I had three interviews that had two people in them each and I did not think this was a professional way to handle the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of promotional "what-if" questions and then throw in wrenches to your initial response. There's also an Excel-based "pricing" assessment which can be time-consuming and I was unsure of the point of the exercise.

Also everyone has a different understanding of "work/life balance" but essentially you can forget about life if you accept a position.
        View Answer

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

A recruiter contacted me by email after I had passed my resume along to a friend who worked at Amazon. We had a 30 minute phone chat to "gauge me interest level" in available positions in the Hardlines group. Told would hear back within a week, but didnt so I emailed a followup. The recruiter told me that the Hiring Manager would like to continue with the interview process. Was contacted over the phone and it was pretty obvious he hadn't looked over my resume before the phone call because he was "concerned that I didn't have the right background to perform well in the position."

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

There are several interviews over the phone before the face to face interview. First is the interview with the Category hiring manager which lasted about 20-30 minutes discussing the best possible fit/position with the organization. The next interview is the interview with the Manager which lasted about any hour asking much more detailed questions related to the actual position interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • Expect questions asking for input. For instance, "What would you do if we decide to..."   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Starts with a phone interview, followed by in-person interview at headquarters. Lots of questions with short time to respond. Keep your responses concise and on-point. With adequate preparation, it shouldn't be too difficult. Didn't get past the phone interview...seemed as though the recruiter was uninterested and ready to do something else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Met recruiter at college career fair.

The first round was a phone interview, one-on-one. Questions included: "You have 2 minutes to give me two strengths and two weaknesses. Go." He also gave me a mini-case. It was not especially difficult, and he gave me some help when I got stuck. I think it was partially a stress test because he was very pushy and always wanted us to move faster, and he ended the interview very abruptly. I nearly had to yell at the end to get his information before he ended the call.

Amazon then flew me to Seattle for an all-day interview session. Most of the interviewing consisted of group case presentations (2), but there was also an individual written test. I was not a business major, and it was very difficult. It was the organic chemistry of the day - the weed-out course.

I got an email within 3 days that told me I had not gotten the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Two phone interviews followed by an day-long, on-site interview in Seattle. The first phone interview is mostly behavioral; the second involved a couple of analytical questions and a brief case-like question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would build a new product category at Amazon   View Answer
    Very little negotiation; I liked my offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied for the position through my campus career portal. Someone from HR reached out within 2-3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and focused around managing relationships with accounts. Passing this round I was invited to Seattle for a final round interview. There was about 20 people in my group from different schools, of which they took four. The morning was dedicated to an accounting case. Amazon had an employee teach us a form of accounting and then we were to use those teachings to solve a 45 minute case. From here we split into teams and spent 20 minutes dissecting a product and its key aspects (how to market it, costs, margin, etc). The afternoon was a three hour case spent working with a different team. We had two observers in the room while we dissected the case and determined what Amazon's actions should be moving forward.

Interview Questions
    You are not able to negotiate. I was able to get my start date moved back and I suggest asking for that early if that what youd like to do.

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interviews were both conducted over the phone. The first interview was with a member of the team I was being interviewed for, and it was a very comfortable process. The second interview was with a manager on the team, who manages multiple people in the position I was interviewing for (I assume my potential manager). Both interviews asked a couple (2-3) personal questions associated with my resume, but there were also pricing questions associated with the job.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect multiple pricing questions in my first interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I applied via the Amazon jobs portal and received an invitation to do a video-interview online a day or two later. This video interview was one sided - the webtool would show a question (text) and then record my response via webcam. Only 8 questions, one of which was case-ish (how would I price such and such). Other questions were "Tell us about a time when..."

Next round was a phone call with my future manager (I didn't know that at the time). A couple of "tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?" It was intense but I strongly disagree with most of the other reviewers here - it was not a negative experience, just intense. She really wanted to get a feel for my fit with Amazon's Leadership Principles.

A couple of days later I was invited out to the HQ in Seattle for a half-day of in-person interviews. I had 4 interviews and one "test". The interviews were exactly the same format as the phone call I described above, although I have to say they were downright positive interviews. I knew why they were digging so hard and didn't take the digging personally. I think because I recognized that fact, they turned out to be very fun conversations exploring why I did what and what could have been better. The "test" was 45 minutes of me working through pricing a list of products in Excel alone in a room. I have ZERO pricing experience and it wasn't hard to pick up.

I got the offer three days later. An incredibly generous offer, I may add.

My advice to any interviewers with Amazon: Don't take their digging personally. They're trying to understand you, not judge you. It may feel like the same thing, but it's not. If you keep that perspective, interviewing with Amazon can be a lot of fun.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?"   Answer Question

I only declined because I received an offer for a more attractive role elsewhere. Everyone I interviewed with at Amazon was awesome, I had a great time, and the offer itself was very generous. I'm still kind of sick to my stomach for turning them down.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!