Amazon.com Brand Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.7

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

I applied through an employee referral and was contacted within a few days. The process consisted of one video interview, one phone interview, and the final on-site interviews. All 3 types of interviews consisted of both behavioral questions and case study questions. The phone interview lasted for one hour, and the on-site interviews lasted for about 6 hours, with 5 hour long interviews and an assessment test. The assessment test consisted of carrying out a pricing project in excel with large amounts of data. I was told several times that completion of the project within the allotted time was crucial. The interviewers clearly wanted in depth, very concise, and very analytical responses to each question asked. The environment at Amazon seemed as though it would be innovative and challenging, but very high-stress and very high-pressure.

Interview Questions
  • What is your favorite book? If presented with the option to send out a marketing email for this book, would you or would you not? Why? If you decided to send one out, what would you include in the email, who would you send it to, how would you decide on all of these things, and which metrics would you use to analyze if the email was a success?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2- Phone Calls
    Final would have been an on site interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without a supervisor's approval?
      General Forecasting questions, Examples of data/spreadsheet work
        Answer Question

Branding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

There were 2 phone interviews, one with the hiring manager and one with a similar manager. The questions were mostly about my current job and some small case-like questions.

A recruiter then schedules an on-site interview in Seattle. Strange flight aside, the interviews started early in the morning and ended in the late afternoon. It is advisable to get a lot of rest the night before.

There were 6 one-hour, in-person interviews. The questions were mostly "tell me about a time when..." There were a few small cases about products and promotions. The interviewers also get hung up on your current job so be sure to explain how it's applicable to branding. Most interviews started late; one was over 40 minutes late, another forgot what the room was. They do provide lunch but in an interview setting.

The data assessment was midway between the 6 interviews, so be prepared to get back into interview mode at any point. It is interesting to note that the Office products on the assessment laptop were not activated, which led to the sheets crashing when entering text responses, and this was duly evidenced. Very disappointing and unprofessional for a technology company.

There is also a bar raiser. They are meant to be pushy and tough. Mine happened to also be rude and unyielding, even slamming certain jobs on my resume. Another manager scanned my resume and could not resist pointing out a college rivalry several times. Also very unprofessional.

Do not expect a lovely host experience, like with Google or Microsoft. You will be shuffled into your interviews and quickly shuffled out. There are no tours, no information about what the department is doing, and no interactions with employees aside from your interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when..." x 100 and it's usually something negative (you faced a challenge, did not get along with a co-worker, disagreed with a manager, etc.).   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon is a wonderful company with legions of today's brightest minds in their employ, and with this reputation, they are understandably choosy in who they hire. To account for this, the application and interview process at Amazon is labyrinthine. I applied online, and then had a phone screening, an on-demand video interview, a phone interview, another phone screening, and then a 6-hour day of interviews at Amazon's headquarters in Seattle. Despite the immense length of the process, though, I would rate it as an extremely positive experience, even and especially the day of interviews, which flew by.

A few things to be aware of for the interviews: Amazonians dig, and dig deep. What that means for the interview is that they will ask you a situational question, either about your background or about a hypothetical business problem, and then listen to your answer. They will then continue to probe you on details about that situation for at least 10 or 15 minutes; this applies regardless of how they liked your initial answer. Be very careful in picking your initial answer, because if you, for instance, pick a situation from your background that isn't the best fit or about which you don't have enough details, you will still have to come up with myriad answers regarding that situation.

For this position in particular, be sure you can work with data, not just in the abstract or in details about your background, but in Excel form, and in mass, as you will have a skills assessment with a very short timeframe to analyze a good amount of data.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have failed as part of a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Initial contact was via email. A phone interview was set up with HR which let to another phone interview with the hiring manager. After a successful conversation with the hiring manager, I was asked to come to Seattle for multiple in person interviews. The process was a little overwhelming as it was interview after interview without any breaks.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were exceptionally hard, just make sure to have very specific answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

First interview consisted of a video interview, where I basically recorded my answers to questions via a app. There were 8 questions, 3 minutes to answer each, 30 seconds to prep for each question. A little thrown off, as I was expecting the interview to be mostly behavioral-based, with maybe 1 case question. There ended up being 4 case questions if I remember correctly. The 2nd interview was with the hiring manager and it was over the phone. It lasted around 45 minutes and contained both behavioral and case questions. Make sure you study hard on their various promotions, as questions were heavily geared towards that (i.e. "if we are discounting x product by 20%, how would you promote this promotion to customers?"). Sign up for emails before interview and study the promos they send you. Also, make sure you have a very good understanding of the site and its functionality. The interviewer was extremely nice and personable. He laughed when I said funny things and answered my questions very well. I thought I had done well on the phone interviewer, but was not invited onsite. I believe this has a lot to do with my lack of experience, even though the interview itself was good.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to discount 10 DVDs for a certain in-store promotion, how would you pick the DVDs and how would you measure the event's success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

I was referred internally for the position. There were two rounds of interviews: two interviews on the phone and six interviews in person. The interviews were quite straightforward and involved fit and 'case' questions. The case questions were usually related to the position, such as 'How would you forecast the inventory requirements for Product X' or 'Your supplier has given you a discount of Y. How much should you buy and why?'

Interview Questions
    • I was not expecting a case interview in the first round, so was caught somewhat off-guard when asked a case question. Other than that, the questions were quite predictable, such as 'Tell me about a time when you had to influence a group,' etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

I was referred by a friend who was a Brand Specialist himself at the time. The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one final interview on site. The two phone interviews were scheduled back to back each lasting about 30 minutes although they tell you they will be about 45 minutes each. Most of the questions were behavioral but interviewer seemed like he was going through the motions. The interview did not feel conversational at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you determine the right amount of iPad accessories to sell next quarter?   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Tough interview. I met with 5 different people throughout the day. 4 of them are from the department i would have been working in and 1 was an outlier. They all asked situational type questions. They never give you a chance to really let your personality show.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when. That is almost how all the questions started.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Met recruiter at college career fair.

The first round was a phone interview, one-on-one. Questions included: "You have 2 minutes to give me two strengths and two weaknesses. Go." He also gave me a mini-case. It was not especially difficult, and he gave me some help when I got stuck. I think it was partially a stress test because he was very pushy and always wanted us to move faster, and he ended the interview very abruptly. I nearly had to yell at the end to get his information before he ended the call.

Amazon then flew me to Seattle for an all-day interview session. Most of the interviewing consisted of group case presentations (2), but there was also an individual written test. I was not a business major, and it was very difficult. It was the organic chemistry of the day - the weed-out course.

I got an email within 3 days that told me I had not gotten the job.