Amazon.com Brand Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The overall turnaround time from the time I submitted my resume to the time I got the offer was 2 weeks. First you're asked to take an online assessment- 20 critical reasoning questions and then 200 or so personality questions. If you pass that, then you're asked to go to Seattle for a day-long final interview. There were about 25 people. You do three case studies: 1. One individual where you price an item, project sales, etc. You have 45 minutes to complete the worksheet 2. You are put in a group of about 5 people and are given an object and some specs and then have to present to everyone what you can do to make it profitable. 2 people watch you and ask questions 3. A two-hour case study with a different group where you're asked to develop and project a new business for Amazon. 2 people watch you work and then you present to 2 different people for about 30 minutes who also ask you questions Overall, I was unimpressed with the interview process. I think the idea is that they don't want you to be able to prepare for the interview and they want to see how you think. I don't think it really lets you know what the position is going to be like. The biggest thing for me is that they say it is not a competition and they're not trying to fill a quota but they took down the job posting a few days before the final interview and then reposted it the day after (before they had a chance to go over everyone's results). This tells me that they were lying and they are, in fact, trying to fill a quota. From what I heard, they hire about 60 people for the retail undergraduate program. Also, from the tour, the facilities were nice but extremely quiet and dreary. It didn't seem to be bustling like a billion dollar company should (that's my preferred work environment). Amazon's a great company but they seem to be wanting top-tier graduates for not that great of pay.

Interview Questions

Didn't like the location or atmosphere

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was fair. They are a big company and know how to find what they are looking for. One issue I had is that my interviewer had no interviewing experience. Other than that there are lots of standard behavioral questions. One interesting thing was the video interview. You are basically talking to a webcam. Awkward at first but it gets better.

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

There was a video interview, and then an over-the-phone interview. I found the over the phone interview to have almost the same questions as the video interview. Scenario questions as well as behavioral. I would echo what others have said; the interviewer asked many follow up questions to dig deeper into answers - be prepared to talk in depth about any example you present.

Interview Questions

• How does your background and experience make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Online assessment, then final round group interview in Seattle. The group interview is extensive and you need to do your prep work if you do not have a strong background in marketing, finance, or consulting because it's a lot of work and presentation. Good Luck! Do your homework!

Brand Specialist Interview

Interview

Submitted resume online, took an intelligence and personality test, then went to an on-site interview. Interview consisted of three case studies of varying lengths. Emphasis on your ability to think and quickly analyze (just like any case interview), as well as how you work with a team. No one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• There was no one-on-one interview, so no classic interview questions. Just the cases.   Answer Question

Great position and opportunity, but not in the location I needed.

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied through my university career site and their online site in October. Didn't hear back until January, when they asked for me to complete a one hour assessment. 45 minutes for critical/math skills, and 15 minutes for personality assessment.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online through amazon.jobs as a pending university graduate. After submitting my resume and online profile I was contacted via email to move onto stage two - an online math/reasoning assessment and a personality test. The two tests combined took an hour. Assessment test was about 20 math and logical reasoning questions, none of which were particularly difficult or memorable. Personality test was long with multiple choices to gauge how you would react or respond in certain situations. After successfully completing the online tests I was invited to the final round at their headquarters in Seattle. Travel, food, and hotel were all reimbursed. There were about 25 candidates. Day started with breakfast at 8AM followed by a tour of the buildings/campus until 10AM. Then everyone gathered in a room for a presentation given by a senior employee. The presentation regarded retail math with financial terms and equations that were to be used in the subsequent exercise - presentation took about 30 minutes. Then everyone was given a worksheet that asked how you would price and sell a coffeemaker produced by a new vendor. You are expected to use the equations you learned to create a business plan and a Profit & Loss statement. This took about 30-40 minutes. Note: everything must be be finished according to schedule and we were behind schedule, resulting in less time than previously allotted for these exercises. After this, everyone was assigned to a group of ~5 and given the task to sell a product that had been struggling to make sales or profits. You are given the Profit & Loss data as well as other useful information. There are two current Brand Specialists who watch the group and take notes. This exercise is about 40 minutes and is followed by a 5-10 minute presentation per group. At this point there are about 10 current Brand Specialists in the room who will ask very specific questions during the Q&A following the presentations. Lunch. Finally, a two hour case study with a new group of ~5. They put you in a different room with two different observers. Case study was to prepare to launch a new department called Amazon Pets. We got a worksheet with relevant information, questions to answer, and other data. Afterwards, we presented to yet another pair of observers who grilled us on Q&A for 10-20 minutes. The day is extremely fast-paced and tries to put you into group settings that represent actual work and work environments. Not everyone is cut out for this and it will be obvious at the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• Current Brand Specialists asked very specific questions regarding your model, data, and numbers during the Q&A's. Tough to prepare for - gotta think quickly.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I have never truly experienced an interview process like Amazon's. I applied to Amazon in September by an employee referral, and having not heard back from them for nearly 3 months, I assumed that I did not pass their resume screening process. Then, as I was about to sign the paperwork for another offer I had received, I received an email saying that I was passed onto the online assessment round. It consisted of a 20-question reasoning test and a 200-question personality test. One week later, I received an email inviting me to their HQ in Seattle for their final "assessment day." And what a day it was. The process lasts from 8-4, where everything is ran like clockwork. There are no one-on-one's at all, which was very unexpected considering the fact that I had yet to actually speak to anyone prior to arriving in Seattle aside from a conference call that they offered to debrief us on the day's events, which was very helpful. The day consists of a campus tour, a lecture given by a senior manager on retail math, a reasoning test concerning that material, a mini-case and presentation, and a larger more in depth case about Amazon entering a new industry. The two cases had a very in depth Q&A portion, and you can tell that the "observers" love to dig deep into the details. One thing I personally would have very much appreciated - and something I have received in multiple other interviews - is feedback between the two cases. While they were keen to critique some of our assumptions and strategies in the first presentation, there was no advice or feedback going into the next case. Frankly, I appreciate companies who make an effort to coach their newest employees, and there is definitely the potential to see just how quick of learners we as candidates could be had they given us the chance to learn from and improve upon our mistakes, rather than allowing us to make the same ones over and over again throughout the entire day only to fall flat on our faces at the very end. In the end, I did not receive an offer, but still consider myself extremely fortunate to have gone through this process, and will most definitely be keeping Amazon on my radar after a few years down the road.

Interview Questions

• The retail math assessment (written test) was most definitely the hardest for me.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting. The whole interview process is evaluated through group activities. You are able to work with the group but I felt as if I needed to stand out from my group, which was hard because I didn't come from a business background. Definitely learn the terms and functions that they give you before hand.

Interview Questions

• What is the market share of this item projected to be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

First I got an online assessment that consists of one logic or reason type test for 45 minutes, 20 questions and the other assessment is a 200+ personality test that lasts about 15 minutes. Then I was invited to Seattle for the final interview. It lasted 8-4 and entailed a lesson, and case studies. There was no individual interviews throughout the day.