Amazon.com

Updated Jan 17, 2015

3.7

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

After aggressively contacting me via LinkedIn; I was asked to submit a video interview via HireVue about 3 weeks after my initial email exchange with my recruiter. However, never received an phone screen call with a recruiter to discuss my background, resume & career goals and never had an opportunity to better understand the position I was applying for with the recruitment team. I passed the video interview and had my phone interview with the hiring manager for the job, and was invited for the in-person interviews.

The in person interviews were a combination of CAR (challenge, action, resolution) questions and what-if scenarios. There wasn't a lot of confusion with the questions, but each interviewer wanted more detail and I felt I gave a very strong amount. A few of my interviews were double-interviews so that HR could train more people on interviewing. I felt like this wasn't a very respectful thing to do to an interviewee since many of the interviewers struggled to ask detailed questions, collect their thoughts or engage in followup questions. After 2 interviews I had lunch with a manager on the team (They told me it was going to be a peer-to-peer lunch, but it wasn't), and this was a very awkward encounter as the manager was not friendly or engaging with me. (I was pulling teeth to strike up a conversation about the business, culture, and getting nowhere fast).

The interviews were starting to run late and I kept being rushed from one to another. Overall I had three interviews that had two people in them each and I did not think this was a professional way to handle the interview process.

Interview Questions
  • They ask a lot of promotional "what-if" questions and then throw in wrenches to your initial response. There's also an Excel-based "pricing" assessment which can be time-consuming and I was unsure of the point of the exercise.

Also everyone has a different understanding of "work/life balance" but essentially you can forget about life if you accept a position.

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

There are several interviews over the phone before the face to face interview. First is the interview with the Category hiring manager which lasted about 20-30 minutes discussing the best possible fit/position with the organization. The next interview is the interview with the Manager which lasted about any hour asking much more detailed questions related to the actual position interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • Expect questions asking for input. For instance, "What would you do if we decide to..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Was contacted by a recruiter and had one phone interview. Asked general questions about my resume and work experience. Nothing too intense, also asked about my current job.

Explained about the job duties and expectations. Basically a general screening interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I applied via the Amazon jobs portal and received an invitation to do a video-interview online a day or two later. This video interview was one sided - the webtool would show a question (text) and then record my response via webcam. Only 8 questions, one of which was case-ish (how would I price such and such). Other questions were "Tell us about a time when..."

Next round was a phone call with my future manager (I didn't know that at the time). A couple of "tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?" It was intense but I strongly disagree with most of the other reviewers here - it was not a negative experience, just intense. She really wanted to get a feel for my fit with Amazon's Leadership Principles.

A couple of days later I was invited out to the HQ in Seattle for a half-day of in-person interviews. I had 4 interviews and one "test". The interviews were exactly the same format as the phone call I described above, although I have to say they were downright positive interviews. I knew why they were digging so hard and didn't take the digging personally. I think because I recognized that fact, they turned out to be very fun conversations exploring why I did what and what could have been better. The "test" was 45 minutes of me working through pricing a list of products in Excel alone in a room. I have ZERO pricing experience and it wasn't hard to pick up.

I got the offer three days later. An incredibly generous offer, I may add.

My advice to any interviewers with Amazon: Don't take their digging personally. They're trying to understand you, not judge you. It may feel like the same thing, but it's not. If you keep that perspective, interviewing with Amazon can be a lot of fun.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?"   Answer Question

I only declined because I received an offer for a more attractive role elsewhere. Everyone I interviewed with at Amazon was awesome, I had a great time, and the offer itself was very generous. I'm still kind of sick to my stomach for turning them down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied for the position through my campus career portal. Someone from HR reached out within 2-3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and focused around managing relationships with accounts. Passing this round I was invited to Seattle for a final round interview. There was about 20 people in my group from different schools, of which they took four. The morning was dedicated to an accounting case. Amazon had an employee teach us a form of accounting and then we were to use those teachings to solve a 45 minute case. From here we split into teams and spent 20 minutes dissecting a product and its key aspects (how to market it, costs, margin, etc). The afternoon was a three hour case spent working with a different team. We had two observers in the room while we dissected the case and determined what Amazon's actions should be moving forward.

Interview Questions
    You are not able to negotiate. I was able to get my start date moved back and I suggest asking for that early if that what youd like to do.

Somewat difficult

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interviews were both conducted over the phone. The first interview was with a member of the team I was being interviewed for, and it was a very comfortable process. The second interview was with a manager on the team, who manages multiple people in the position I was interviewing for (I assume my potential manager). Both interviews asked a couple (2-3) personal questions associated with my resume, but there were also pricing questions associated with the job.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect multiple pricing questions in my first interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

I applied through an employee referral and was contacted within a few days. The process consisted of one video interview, one phone interview, and the final on-site interviews. All 3 types of interviews consisted of both behavioral questions and case study questions. The phone interview lasted for one hour, and the on-site interviews lasted for about 6 hours, with 5 hour long interviews and an assessment test. The assessment test consisted of carrying out a pricing project in excel with large amounts of data. I was told several times that completion of the project within the allotted time was crucial. The interviewers clearly wanted in depth, very concise, and very analytical responses to each question asked. The environment at Amazon seemed as though it would be innovative and challenging, but very high-stress and very high-pressure.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book? If presented with the option to send out a marketing email for this book, would you or would you not? Why? If you decided to send one out, what would you include in the email, who would you send it to, how would you decide on all of these things, and which metrics would you use to analyze if the email was a success?   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2- Phone Calls
    Final would have been an on site interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without a supervisor's approval?
      General Forecasting questions, Examples of data/spreadsheet work

Answer Question

Branding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

There were 2 phone interviews, one with the hiring manager and one with a similar manager. The questions were mostly about my current job and some small case-like questions.

A recruiter then schedules an on-site interview in Seattle. Strange flight aside, the interviews started early in the morning and ended in the late afternoon. It is advisable to get a lot of rest the night before.

There were 6 one-hour, in-person interviews. The questions were mostly "tell me about a time when..." There were a few small cases about products and promotions. The interviewers also get hung up on your current job so be sure to explain how it's applicable to branding. Most interviews started late; one was over 40 minutes late, another forgot what the room was. They do provide lunch but in an interview setting.

The data assessment was midway between the 6 interviews, so be prepared to get back into interview mode at any point. It is interesting to note that the Office products on the assessment laptop were not activated, which led to the sheets crashing when entering text responses, and this was duly evidenced. Very disappointing and unprofessional for a technology company.

There is also a bar raiser. They are meant to be pushy and tough. Mine happened to also be rude and unyielding, even slamming certain jobs on my resume. Another manager scanned my resume and could not resist pointing out a college rivalry several times. Also very unprofessional.

Do not expect a lovely host experience, like with Google or Microsoft. You will be shuffled into your interviews and quickly shuffled out. There are no tours, no information about what the department is doing, and no interactions with employees aside from your interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when..." x 100 and it's usually something negative (you faced a challenge, did not get along with a co-worker, disagreed with a manager, etc.).   Answer Question