Amazon.com Brand Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2015

3.7

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I didn't speak to an actual person until I arrived in Seattle. We had to do an accounting test, then a 45 min group case, followed by a 3 hour group case. They had people watch us constantly. These people never introduced themselves and seemed to never smile. I felt like a fish in a tank.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

First, I was contacted by a recruiter to gauge my interest. Following this initial screen, I had several phone interviews. Both were with Senior Vendor Managers. The bulk of the interviews were geared towards behavioral/fit questions; however, there were questions pertaining to retail. Specifically, pricing strategy and product introduction.

Interview Questions

• A lot of fit/behavioral questions, interspersed with questions regarding pricing strategy and product introduction.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Interview

I applied through the career center at my university. after 2 weeks I received an email that i was invited to take an online assessment. i had only a few days to complete it. the assessment was challenging and fast paced. think GRE logic questions

Interview Questions

• a 100+ question personality test, all you can do is be honest, the questions are somewhat bizarre and there is no obvious right choice   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

There wasn't really anything on Glassdoor about the interview process for new graduates. This is mainly to help others in this situation. Basically, I applied through my school after a career fair for this position. There are two steps to the interview process: the assessment test and the in-person interview in Seattle. I only took the assessment test. The test consisted of logic-based questions and data interpretation questions. This was followed by the personality/behavioral part of the test. Hope this helps anyone in preparing for this!

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Interview

First I applied on their website. Then, I was given an online assessment to take. A few days after the online assessment I was told that I was invited to the final round interview in Seattle. They put me up in a hotel Thursday through Saturday. I was not a fan of the actual interview process. We had only group interviews. There was an individual assessment, and then there were two group case studies. As someone who has no finance/ consulting experience, I feel as though the interview ultimately set me up to fail, so I was not happy with Amazon about that at all. I definitely don't expect to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• The individual assessment on the day of the interview was hard. I felt as though there really was not much time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was reached out to by a sourcing recruiter, who said she had found a great opening for me if I was interested. I spoke with her informally first, then had a first round with one team member, followed by a second round with a higher ranking team member.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing specifically difficult. Make sure you know the core Amazon principles though!   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Starts with a phone interview, followed by in-person interview at headquarters. Lots of questions with short time to respond. Keep your responses concise and on-point. With adequate preparation, it shouldn't be too difficult. Didn't get past the phone interview...seemed as though the recruiter was uninterested and ready to do something else.

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me by email after I had passed my resume along to a friend who worked at Amazon. We had a 30 minute phone chat to "gauge me interest level" in available positions in the Hardlines group. Told would hear back within a week, but didnt so I emailed a followup. The recruiter told me that the Hiring Manager would like to continue with the interview process. Was contacted over the phone and it was pretty obvious he hadn't looked over my resume before the phone call because he was "concerned that I didn't have the right background to perform well in the position."

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview

After aggressively contacting me via LinkedIn; I was asked to submit a video interview via HireVue about 3 weeks after my initial email exchange with my recruiter. However, never received an phone screen call with a recruiter to discuss my background, resume & career goals and never had an opportunity to better understand the position I was applying for with the recruitment team. I passed the video interview and had my phone interview with the hiring manager for the job, and was invited for the in-person interviews.

The in person interviews were a combination of CAR (challenge, action, resolution) questions and what-if scenarios. There wasn't a lot of confusion with the questions, but each interviewer wanted more detail and I felt I gave a very strong amount. A few of my interviews were double-interviews so that HR could train more people on interviewing. I felt like this wasn't a very respectful thing to do to an interviewee since many of the interviewers struggled to ask detailed questions, collect their thoughts or engage in followup questions. After 2 interviews I had lunch with a manager on the team (They told me it was going to be a peer-to-peer lunch, but it wasn't), and this was a very awkward encounter as the manager was not friendly or engaging with me. (I was pulling teeth to strike up a conversation about the business, culture, and getting nowhere fast).

The interviews were starting to run late and I kept being rushed from one to another. Overall I had three interviews that had two people in them each and I did not think this was a professional way to handle the interview process.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of promotional "what-if" questions and then throw in wrenches to your initial response. There's also an Excel-based "pricing" assessment which can be time-consuming and I was unsure of the point of the exercise.

Also everyone has a different understanding of "work/life balance" but essentially you can forget about life if you accept a position.

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied via the Amazon jobs portal and received an invitation to do a video-interview online a day or two later. This video interview was one sided - the webtool would show a question (text) and then record my response via webcam. Only 8 questions, one of which was case-ish (how would I price such and such). Other questions were "Tell us about a time when..."

Next round was a phone call with my future manager (I didn't know that at the time). A couple of "tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?" It was intense but I strongly disagree with most of the other reviewers here - it was not a negative experience, just intense. She really wanted to get a feel for my fit with Amazon's Leadership Principles.

A couple of days later I was invited out to the HQ in Seattle for a half-day of in-person interviews. I had 4 interviews and one "test". The interviews were exactly the same format as the phone call I described above, although I have to say they were downright positive interviews. I knew why they were digging so hard and didn't take the digging personally. I think because I recognized that fact, they turned out to be very fun conversations exploring why I did what and what could have been better. The "test" was 45 minutes of me working through pricing a list of products in Excel alone in a room. I have ZERO pricing experience and it wasn't hard to pick up.

I got the offer three days later. An incredibly generous offer, I may add.

My advice to any interviewers with Amazon: Don't take their digging personally. They're trying to understand you, not judge you. It may feel like the same thing, but it's not. If you keep that perspective, interviewing with Amazon can be a lot of fun.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?"   Answer Question

I only declined because I received an offer for a more attractive role elsewhere. Everyone I interviewed with at Amazon was awesome, I had a great time, and the offer itself was very generous. I'm still kind of sick to my stomach for turning them down.