Amazon.com

Updated Dec 8, 2014

3.7

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

I was referred internally for the position. There were two rounds of interviews: two interviews on the phone and six interviews in person. The interviews were quite straightforward and involved fit and 'case' questions. The case questions were usually related to the position, such as 'How would you forecast the inventory requirements for Product X' or 'Your supplier has given you a discount of Y. How much should you buy and why?'

Interview Questions
  • I was not expecting a case interview in the first round, so was caught somewhat off-guard when asked a case question. Other than that, the questions were quite predictable, such as 'Tell me about a time when you had to influence a group,' etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

I was referred by a friend who was a Brand Specialist himself at the time. The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one final interview on site. The two phone interviews were scheduled back to back each lasting about 30 minutes although they tell you they will be about 45 minutes each. Most of the questions were behavioral but interviewer seemed like he was going through the motions. The interview did not feel conversational at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you determine the right amount of iPad accessories to sell next quarter?   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Tough interview. I met with 5 different people throughout the day. 4 of them are from the department i would have been working in and 1 was an outlier. They all asked situational type questions. They never give you a chance to really let your personality show.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when. That is almost how all the questions started.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Met recruiter at college career fair.

The first round was a phone interview, one-on-one. Questions included: "You have 2 minutes to give me two strengths and two weaknesses. Go." He also gave me a mini-case. It was not especially difficult, and he gave me some help when I got stuck. I think it was partially a stress test because he was very pushy and always wanted us to move faster, and he ended the interview very abruptly. I nearly had to yell at the end to get his information before he ended the call.

Amazon then flew me to Seattle for an all-day interview session. Most of the interviewing consisted of group case presentations (2), but there was also an individual written test. I was not a business major, and it was very difficult. It was the organic chemistry of the day - the weed-out course.

I got an email within 3 days that told me I had not gotten the job.

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon uses the STAR interview process which contains 4-5 questions. In addition to the STAR questions, there's one case study question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you've implemented a change for your supervisor.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Got an e-mail from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. I had two 45 minute phone interviews. Both interviewers were very nice and told me a lot about the their jobs and what it's like to work at Amazon. The interviews were fairly straightforward. Just standard stuff (going over resume, behavioral questions). One interviewer asked a pretty easy case question. If I recall correctly, the case was about adding an installation service when someone buys a television on Amazon.

A few days after my second phone interview, I received an e-mail saying they would like to fly me out to HQ for some in-person interviews. They said they would be sending me a bunch of information on my schedule/travel arrangements/directions/etc. I waited for a few days, but never received any information. I emailed the recruiter, and she responded saying she was still working on scheduling the interviews. A few days later I got all the information except for my flight and hotel info. The recruiter said that a corporate travel agent would be e-mailing me all of those documents soon. After a while, my interview date was only a few days away and I still had not received my flight info or anything. I talked to the recruiter and she said she was still working on it. Eventually they canceled that interview date and rescheduled the interview for 2 weeks later. Not really the biggest deal in the world, but still somewhat unprofessional on their part.

Had interviews with about 7 people at the HQ. Most interviewers were very nice and gave good information on the company. It was a bit tiresome by the end because all the interviewers seemed to ask the exact same questions. The interviewers weren't too hard. Mostly standard behavioral questions. Some interviewers asked case questions and one interviewer asked about how I would design the layout of Amazon's home page to make it optimally customer friendly.

There was also a written test that involved analyzing pricing data in Excel. It wasn't anything all that challenging, but they give you very little time to analyze a lot of information.

Interview Questions
    • Case question: What would you do if a product that you were in charge of had a pricing mistake? For example, you were in charge of Nikon camera that normally retails for $500, but it was listed on the site for $50 by accident and 500 people purchased it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

The interview process was unexpected. There is a 1-on-1 phone interview with behavioral and case questions.

The in-person interview is a day long and never has a 1-on-1 interview. Instead, it consists of a retail math assessment, and several presentations in random groups that are simulated similarly to a case competition.

Lastly, you are split into groups of 3 where you can ask any questions to an Amazon professional.

Interview Questions
    No salary negotiation is possible from what I hear. Start date negotiation and group placement can be negotiated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Two phone interviews followed by an day-long, on-site interview in Seattle. The first phone interview is mostly behavioral; the second involved a couple of analytical questions and a brief case-like question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would build a new product category at Amazon   View Answer
    Very little negotiation; I liked my offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

After having applied to a number of positions on the Amazon.com careers website, I received an email from a recruiter saying hiring managers from a specific division were interested in speaking to me about the position of brand specialist. After replying with my availability for interviews over the phone, I was scheduled for a 60 minute interview with a department manager. I found the first interview to be challenging as the job description I had been provided with was not really a high level job description and lacked specifics I would expect to know before an interview. During the interview, my interviewer stressed the importance of forecasting and data analysis involved with this job and asked questions in regards to my experience with these. Aside from asking that I go over my resume with him, I can't recall any other specific questions being asked during this interview. The interview ended up lasting only 30 minutes. I received an email shortly after this interview requesting my availability for a second interview. My second interview was conducted with a different department manager and was definitively personality-centered in contrast to the initial interview. Amazon will hire the best and wants people with high intellect who can work together. While I thought I had done a good job during the first interview, I felt I had nailed the second interview. Unfortunately, I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • If you strongly believed in an idea and were in a situation where your colleagues did not support your idea, how would you react? The question was something along these lines...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2011.

I applied for three jobs with Amazon.com: one as a site merchandiser and two as a brand specialist over the course of a year. Never even got to the email stage with the site merchandiser and one of the brand specialist positions, but was contacted by a recruiter about the other brand specialist position. A note: the position I was contacted about I applied for in June and I received my initial response in December -- yes, December, as in seven months later.

My initial contact consisted of an email from a recruiter wanting to schedule a phone interview time. I agreed to a time and had a phone interview five days later. I tried to schedule the phone interview after my normal work day (given that I was on EST and they are on Pacific), but they weren't having any of that. They picked my lunch break which put me in a hurried situation.

When I was contacted for my phone interview I was told it was actually a "screening" and not a traditional interview. The individual that screened me was a brand specialist currently working at Amazon.com.

The person screening me obviously had a script and stuck to it. There were a lot of generic "describe a challenge you've overcome" types of questions. I was asked not once, but twice, to describe "a situation where I used math to solve a problem." I don't know if this is because my first answer was insufficient or the screener forgot my first response and due to that, repeated the question. A note: this is not a math-intensive position (as the job description didn't list that in any of its text or detailed bullet points). A basic college-level math understanding would be sufficient, as, at most, you'd be messing with equations in Excel.

There really wasn't a proper back-and-forth between myself and the screener, as they were stubborn about sticking to the script. In fact, aside from the script, the screener wasn't that well prepared. The job was in the consumer electronics division and I wasn't asked a single question about ... wait for it ... consumer electronics.

At one point, after I described some time- and money-saving process improvements at a previous employer, the screener dropped a random initialism which I asked them to define. Instead of defining it, they avoided the question and went to the next part of the script. Later that day I looked up the initialism and discovered it was pretty obscure. The funny thing was I dropped several initialisms myself at one point and defined them for the interviewer as I consider it a professional courtesy not speak in obscure vernacular.

I prepped for answers like "why do you want to work for us?" with plenty of data like up-to-date info on market share and pricing strategies -- straight from white papers. When I offered that info it didn't trigger any response or even an affirmation. It was simply time to move to the next question.

Perhaps the oddest part of the interview was when I was answering some of these generic questions and used exact quotes from a recent interview with the CEO. Those answers got responses but along the lines of, "That's a odd/weird way of describing that." I later informed the screener (in a nice way) that those were the words of their own CEO. Again, no response.

After the interview was over I received an email three days later from the recruiter with a generic "the hiring manager has decided to pursue other candidates for that particular role" response. However, it was nice to get an answer quickly. I've known several companies to take weeks, even months, and some don't respond at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you redesign the homepage of Amazon.com?   View Answer