Amazon.com

Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.2

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

3 round of phone interviews. Interviewed by different people, but the questions in all 3 interviews are quite similar. Most time just asking the general questions or about my previous experiences. A few questions about statistics and data analysis.

Interview Questions
  • What kind of metrics do you want to monitor when you are taking charge of evaluate the business performance of a outbound warehouse?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

pass the first two phone interview and failed after on site. However they referred me to the BA position and get mo thru another three potential positions. Finally end up with this one. Overall took about 5-6 weeks, adding up to 11 interviews.

have not got there yet

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

This was my 3rd interview for a position in amazon within 6 months. Really long process, so did a total of about 14 interviews with Amazon. The questions were behavioral with lot SQL questions asked which were very straight forward. Anyone with basic SQL knowledge can answer them. For the role I was offered, I had 2 rounds of phone interview and 6 rounds of interview on-site. Most of the questions were about my background and resume.

Interview Questions
    • I interviewed for a business analyst position. The interviewer saw that I had a computer science background and asked me couple of coding questions. Both were simple codes to write   Answer Question
    No, I was not able to negotiate and Amazon does pay low for this role. But I really hated by current job so figured atleast try a change.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

The interview process went expectedly for the most part - began as a recruiter call, and 2 phone interviews. After that, they scheduled my onsite interview, but then told me a day later that the position had already been filled, but they are still calling me onsite for the same role in a different team. That made me a bit suspicious, as I had to build a new relationship now with the new team members and learn about what they're doing from the beginning.

The onsite interview was about 5 hours long, and included a lunch session with the recruiter. Interview involved a lot of business-related questions (do you think Amazon is doing this correctly?), a lot of experience related questions (tell me how you handled this situation in your experience), and technical questions (SQL, machine learning)

Most questions were as expected and I did quite well. Most of the people were quite friendly as well. I was actually VERY satisfied with my performance. Until the last interview. This one was with one of the managers and was completely unexpected, involving very specific statistical questions to which I had no answer. Professionally, I told him that I did not know the answers to these but I could tell him my approach. After a lot of back-and-forths and witty remarks from this manager, I finally put my marker down and told him maybe we're not aligned with the job requirements.

I sincerely wish Amazon had asked all these questions during the phone screens so that I would have the right expectations about the role, and we could both potentially save time by realizing I wasn't the right fit for the role, instead of flying me up there, making me take a day off, and humiliating me like this. I'm a very confident interviewer and have interviewed with LinkedIn and Google, and I'm not easy to break with stress interviews. However, that one manager was quite rude, dropped several witty/insulting statements, and even questioned my resume. The attitude was very "we're a great company, so you should be doing what we do and memorize your algorithms", not "how would you approach this issue?".

It's also extremely disappointing to me that a company/team within the company actually feels I'm 'smarter' if I have memorized some algebra equations from freshman year of high school (eg. linear regressions, normalizing). Despite me telling the manager that I did not off the top of my head know the answers to these questions as I haven't done them on paper in a long time or ever, he asked me sarcastically would I walk into a manager's office with that excuse. I said, no, I would educate myself of the topic at hand and be fully prepared before walking into a manager's office. That's how I get paid at my current job.

You can't measure my intellect off a 45 minute session of unexpected questions, and you can't ask a scientist questions about English literature, Amazon.

My advice to Amazon is to specifically add to their job descriptions the knowledge that they entail, and to bring up many of these specific technical questions over a phone interview so that we can decide a fit early on. I remain a very satisfied customer of this company, but refuse to work with them, especially after some of the reviews I've read on Glassdoor about their ridiculous treatment of the workforce.

And please, no company should get on a high horse like this. You give 10 days of time off and no college sponsorship program. I'm perfectly fine where I am today.

Interview Questions
    • How would you create a regression model given some data points? How would you cluster data sets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Applied through school posting - first round was an OA, followed with an in person interview in Seattle at Amazon HQ. Straightforward process, went from application to final interview within a month. Friendly staff, they stay out of sight and out of mind for most of the process. Quick turnaround on offer status following final interview round.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Phone interview followed by in person on site interviews. Got a phone call, in depth resume questions. One on one was with 6 people in sequence. Again more on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • They grill very deeply on your experience. Give you lots of "If we did this to our business, what is the impact?" type of questions   Answer Question

Not the department I wanted to be in

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

My friend referred me to the role. Got a phone interview right away. After the 1st phone call, they wanted to do another one. After the 2nd phone call, they told me they will fly me to Seattle for an onsite. The phone interviews were about my work, regression/stats, and how would I solve some of their business problem.

The trip planning was great. The hotel and the logistics were really smooth. My friend lives there and I asked for a later flight which they agreed right away. On the interview day, I met 6 people, my recruiter, 1 director, 2 senior managers and 2 engineer. It was 5,6 hours including lunch. Everyone was friendly and most questions were about my current role. There were some SQL coding questions too.

The decision were made in a couple days. The recruiter called me and informed me the offer.

Interview Questions

Found some better local opportunity.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

3 phone interviews on two separate days. The first and second calls each had a case-like question that tested business acumen and the final interview primarily focused on experience with about 4 specific questions on advanced excel functions and basic SQL. There was also a written case study to submit prior to the second set of interviews. My impression is that interview experiences very dramatically from interviewer-to-interviewer. Based largely on my interviewer's tone, I didn't expect an offer. To my surprise, I got that phone call about 7 days later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the impact of offering Amazon Prime to students for free?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Was a pretty intense process. Did a full day interview. Had to wait almost 2 hrs in the lobby between interviews, not sure what happened there. They provided lunch but couldn't eat the food because it became a lunch interview. Overall, the questions were typical behavioral questions you can expect in any interview.

Interview Questions
    • In the very first interview, I was asked to write SQL on the board. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

phone screen from HR and 1 interview from development.

I graduated with a master degree from top 2 CS university as a software engineer then worked for a big name company holding a senior analyst position. However HR matched me with a entry-level business analyst opening. No details about the job was given.

Later Interviewer asked a bunch of questions assuming their business and product was what everybody should be familiar with. Felt like we were from different universes during the interview...

But I am glad that I don't have to demote myself for a position with probably less compensation to write "select from" for years trying to prove the development team does something meaningful.