Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews on two separate days. The first and second calls each had a case-like question that tested business acumen and the final interview primarily focused on experience with about 4 specific questions on advanced excel functions and basic SQL. There was also a written case study to submit prior to the second set of interviews. My impression is that interview experiences very dramatically from interviewer-to-interviewer. Based largely on my interviewer's tone, I didn't expect an offer. To my surprise, I got that phone call about 7 days later.

Interview Question – What is the impact of offering Amazon Prime to students for free?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

Interview Details – 2 phone screens, 5 on-campus interviews. People are really nice and they generally want to hire you. you need to be more precise and prepared for the interview. Phone screens are generally easy. more analytical questions and they want straight answers. on campus are great. every guy is checking a special quality and be more specific and think 2 times before you answer

Interview Question – if we hire you, how long are you planning to stay in amazon   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Was a pretty intense process. Did a full day interview. Had to wait almost 2 hrs in the lobby between interviews, not sure what happened there. They provided lunch but couldn't eat the food because it became a lunch interview. Overall, the questions were typical behavioral questions you can expect in any interview.

Interview Question – In the very first interview, I was asked to write SQL on the board. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – My friend referred me to the role. Got a phone interview right away. After the 1st phone call, they wanted to do another one. After the 2nd phone call, they told me they will fly me to Seattle for an onsite. The phone interviews were about my work, regression/stats, and how would I solve some of their business problem.

The trip planning was great. The hotel and the logistics were really smooth. My friend lives there and I asked for a later flight which they agreed right away. On the interview day, I met 6 people, my recruiter, 1 director, 2 senior managers and 2 engineer. It was 5,6 hours including lunch. Everyone was friendly and most questions were about my current role. There were some SQL coding questions too.

The decision were made in a couple days. The recruiter called me and informed me the offer.

Interview Question – Signed NDA   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Found some better local opportunity.

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by in person on site interviews. Got a phone call, in depth resume questions. One on one was with 6 people in sequence. Again more on your resume.

Interview Question – They grill very deeply on your experience. Give you lots of "If we did this to our business, what is the impact?" type of questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the department I wanted to be in

Business Analyst

I interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

Interview Details – phone screen from HR and 1 interview from development.

I graduated with a master degree from top 2 CS university as a software engineer then worked for a big name company holding a senior analyst position. However HR matched me with a entry-level business analyst opening. No details about the job was given.

Later Interviewer asked a bunch of questions assuming their business and product was what everybody should be familiar with. Felt like we were from different universes during the interview...

But I am glad that I don't have to demote myself for a position with probably less compensation to write "select from" for years trying to prove the development team does something meaningful.

Interview Question – Here is what we do, now guess what I want.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

Interview Details – Temp for 4 months. Did a information interview with the hiring manager. After thant was a interview loop with 6 people. 2 day after the interview hr called back.

Interview Question – There things you do like about Amazon   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiting manager at Amazon who set up the phone interview time and told me who I would be speaking with.

I spoke with the head developer in the group I was applying for. He was very easy to talk to and positive.
As this was a technical position there were questions about how to write SQL code. He wanted the exact code to write down, not just an general explanation of what you would do in the proposed situation. He let me take my time and was very encouraging, which was nice. It was a very pleasant phone interview.

Interview Questions

• If you have two SQL database tables that are not joined together, how would you create another table to join them.   View Answers (2)
  • Write an inner join between two tables.   View Answers (3)

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – They are very responsive to online applications. I didn't expect a huge company like this to call me back pretty soon after my application. And the system is good, the HR could pull out the schedule of the interviewer directly without asking around and schedule the time for the interview. However the interviewer didn't seem to care about what I was saying, distracted all the time. Questions asked were like a format that applies to everyone, not specifically for the position. And he was a bit rude.

Interview Question – What do you think is different when you have huge data set?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a business analyst position in Seattle. I was very disappointed by the interviewers and the overall process. From the first two interviews, I sensed that the interviews had very big egos, but gave it a chance by going to the in-person interviews. There, I was met with more egotistical people who unfortunately were condescending at times and made it seem as if anyone working for Amazon.com was a genius and that person should count their blessings that Amazon.com thought they were "good enough." I still love the company, but was very, very disappointed by the quality of the people that worked there. Also, when they finally told me no, the recruiter basically was laughing at me since no one else had called me yet and that he was the first one - very professional.

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!