Amazon.com Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Charlotte, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Bad attitude from Interviewer . The job description had mentioned SAS skill-set, but the interviewer said they use it less that 1% of the time . The interviewer rather getting to know me, showcased his knowledge about the business (which obviously will be high since he works for them ). I wish Amazon stopped asking some 20 year olds to interview, the interviewer had no pragmatic vision and was a total jerk. Please stop wasting your time for this position.

Interview Questions

• Linear regression vs logistic regression, r - squared, P value . SQL query.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online and was contacted by a recruiter less than a week later. We set up a phone interview - I was told to "Take a few minutes to explore the amazon.com web site...read our Amazon Leadership Principles..." and that they would also like to "assess some of your technical skills." Seemed pretty standard except the interview turned out to be just an hour long SQL test. No introduction, no tell me about yourself, just SQL. My resume listed R and Python as skills, but not SQL, for a reason -- my SQL skills were pretty rusty, and unfortunately the questions were much more advanced than expected. After a humiliating hour of trying to work through the SQL problems I obviously did not make the cut to move forward. Overall very bizarre and a complete waste of my time and the interviewer's time.

Interview Questions

• Something like - you have a data set like of unique users, and one of products. Produce a list of users who purchased more than once within a given time period and had more than $x total, also combine the names of all products into one field (had no idea why I would ever want to do that, but whatever).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The hiring and recruiting culture at Amazon is clearly designed to wear you down and weed you out during the interview process. DO NOT demean yourself by even beginning the ridiculous interview process here. In addition, read how many horrible reviews there are about the work culture. Sad, unbelievable, really that such a successful firm who 'lives and dies' by "the customer comes first", cares nothing about their employees. Interviewer called 45 minutes late - I was shocked. It got worse from there - you will not experience an interview, you WILL be interrogated. No matter how much homework and preparation you do, you will not surface unscathed. Rude, arrogant, did nothing to sell ME on working for them. All around a very broken process. I politely declined offers to move forward and feel that I truly dodged a bullet by maintaining my integrity and removing myself from their "process".

Interview Questions

• What happened to your last job? The interviewer had clearly not reviewed my resume prior to calling me (late) - I'm a consultant, so nothing "happened" to my last job. The badgering continued with "well, what 'happened to you' that forced you into consulting"?? WHAT? Also, amazon asks questions that are absolutes, so if you don't answer a firm yes or no, they railroad you and talk over you and, well, it is simply the most unpleasant, disrespectful interview I have ever had and I have over 20 years of experience in my field. Run, don't walk, away if you feel somehow "lucky" that Amazon is interested in you. Run.   Answer Question

How much time do you have?

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

3 round of phone interviews. Interviewed by different people, but the questions in all 3 interviews are quite similar. Most time just asking the general questions or about my previous experiences. A few questions about statistics and data analysis.

Interview Questions

• What kind of metrics do you want to monitor when you are taking charge of evaluate the business performance of a outbound warehouse?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

pass the first two phone interview and failed after on site. However they referred me to the BA position and get mo thru another three potential positions. Finally end up with this one. Overall took about 5-6 weeks, adding up to 11 interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

have not got there yet

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process went expectedly for the most part - began as a recruiter call, and 2 phone interviews. After that, they scheduled my onsite interview, but then told me a day later that the position had already been filled, but they are still calling me onsite for the same role in a different team. That made me a bit suspicious, as I had to build a new relationship now with the new team members and learn about what they're doing from the beginning. The onsite interview was about 5 hours long, and included a lunch session with the recruiter. Interview involved a lot of business-related questions (do you think Amazon is doing this correctly?), a lot of experience related questions (tell me how you handled this situation in your experience), and technical questions (SQL, machine learning) Most questions were as expected and I did quite well. Most of the people were quite friendly as well. I was actually VERY satisfied with my performance. Until the last interview. This one was with one of the managers and was completely unexpected, involving very specific statistical questions to which I had no answer. Professionally, I told him that I did not know the answers to these but I could tell him my approach. After a lot of back-and-forths and witty remarks from this manager, I finally put my marker down and told him maybe we're not aligned with the job requirements. I sincerely wish Amazon had asked all these questions during the phone screens so that I would have the right expectations about the role, and we could both potentially save time by realizing I wasn't the right fit for the role, instead of flying me up there, making me take a day off, and humiliating me like this. I'm a very confident interviewer and have interviewed with LinkedIn and Google, and I'm not easy to break with stress interviews. However, that one manager was quite rude, dropped several witty/insulting statements, and even questioned my resume. The attitude was very "we're a great company, so you should be doing what we do and memorize your algorithms", not "how would you approach this issue?". It's also extremely disappointing to me that a company/team within the company actually feels I'm 'smarter' if I have memorized some algebra equations from freshman year of high school (eg. linear regressions, normalizing). Despite me telling the manager that I did not off the top of my head know the answers to these questions as I haven't done them on paper in a long time or ever, he asked me sarcastically would I walk into a manager's office with that excuse. I said, no, I would educate myself of the topic at hand and be fully prepared before walking into a manager's office. That's how I get paid at my current job. You can't measure my intellect off a 45 minute session of unexpected questions, and you can't ask a scientist questions about English literature, Amazon. My advice to Amazon is to specifically add to their job descriptions the knowledge that they entail, and to bring up many of these specific technical questions over a phone interview so that we can decide a fit early on. I remain a very satisfied customer of this company, but refuse to work with them, especially after some of the reviews I've read on Glassdoor about their ridiculous treatment of the workforce. And please, no company should get on a high horse like this. You give 10 days of time off and no college sponsorship program. I'm perfectly fine where I am today.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a regression model given some data points? How would you cluster data sets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

This was my 3rd interview for a position in amazon within 6 months. Really long process, so did a total of about 14 interviews with Amazon. The questions were behavioral with lot SQL questions asked which were very straight forward. Anyone with basic SQL knowledge can answer them. For the role I was offered, I had 2 rounds of phone interview and 6 rounds of interview on-site. Most of the questions were about my background and resume.

Interview Questions

• I interviewed for a business analyst position. The interviewer saw that I had a computer science background and asked me couple of coding questions. Both were simple codes to write   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, I was not able to negotiate and Amazon does pay low for this role. But I really hated by current job so figured atleast try a change.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through school posting - first round was an OA, followed with an in person interview in Seattle at Amazon HQ. Straightforward process, went from application to final interview within a month. Friendly staff, they stay out of sight and out of mind for most of the process. Quick turnaround on offer status following final interview round.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person on site interviews. Got a phone call, in depth resume questions. One on one was with 6 people in sequence. Again more on your resume.

Interview Questions

• They grill very deeply on your experience. Give you lots of "If we did this to our business, what is the impact?" type of questions   Answer Question

Not the department I wanted to be in

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

My friend referred me to the role. Got a phone interview right away. After the 1st phone call, they wanted to do another one. After the 2nd phone call, they told me they will fly me to Seattle for an onsite. The phone interviews were about my work, regression/stats, and how would I solve some of their business problem. The trip planning was great. The hotel and the logistics were really smooth. My friend lives there and I asked for a later flight which they agreed right away. On the interview day, I met 6 people, my recruiter, 1 director, 2 senior managers and 2 engineer. It was 5,6 hours including lunch. Everyone was friendly and most questions were about my current role. There were some SQL coding questions too. The decision were made in a couple days. The recruiter called me and informed me the offer.

Interview Questions

Found some better local opportunity.