Amazon.com

Amazon.com Business Development Manager Interview Questions

3.1

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Was initially contacted by HR in Seattle about 2 openings. After the initial discussion with HR I was scheduled to be interviewed with the hiring manager for Enterprise Sales position and Business Development Manager. Interviews were scheduled over a 2 week period with each hiring manager.

The manager almost immediately dismissed me half-way through the interview because he did not think I was technical enough. I was then handed off to the hiring manager for the Business Development Manager position. After pushing the time back 30 minutes we finally spoke and had a great conversation. At the end he pointed out to me that I should not feel bad if this does not progress further. He said that he had to interview over 250 applicants to get the 9 BDM's on this team.

Interview Questions
  • It seems to me that they are only interested in hiring tech-heads that are not really sales people.
    1 question was "Explain the steps that happen between the time you click on www.amazon.com and the web page is returned to your browser"?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

contacted by head hunter, arranged phone interview with west coast manager. Cnned list of questions and single question elimination.

Not sure you get a good sense of a candidate if all you require is to feed you pat answers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Two phone screenings before the on-site. One with the hiring manager, the other with a recruiter.
    This has been well documented on Glassdoor so I will skip the details on this part of the process.

The on-site interviews were intense. I had six, back to back. You stay in the same room as interviewers come to you. You can get a short 2-minute break for restroom in between but that's it. Lunch can be rushed and involves trying to eat while being bombarded by more questions from the hiring manager.

Each interviewer is seeking to explore if you have a particular skill/experiences which correspond to the competencies required for the job (you can see these on the job description) as well as the company values (they are on the careers page on the website - bias for action, frugality, etc).

The questions will ALL follow this format "tell me about a time...". For example: "...that you had a disagreement with a colleague. How did you resolve it and what was the outcome" Once you start answering, the interviewer will drill down asking for more details, sometimes several times.

If you consider that there are 6 interviews and each of them asking at least 5 behavioral questions, this means you have to think of 30 different answers and be prepared to back them up with smart and honest reflection, and preferably some numbers too, since everyone is very data-driven (eg "the outcome was a 20% increase in efficiency, and profit doubled the following quarter")

By the end of the day, you are beat. Make sure you don't flag toward the end. Drink a soda or eat a banana to give you a boost toward the finish line.

The interviewers will be typing into their laptops during the whole interview, so don't expect to get any eye-contact to help you steer your answers. The process seems to be taken very seriously, and since the interviewers are looking for specific examples of past behaviour which match the required competencies, try to give them what they are looking for. Don't rant, just stick to short 2 minute responses, always trying to focus on the competency (eg persuasion skills, people management, problem-solving, analysis etc).

Obviously my experience applying for a role in Instant Video was completely different from an SDE or technical position, which is why all my questions were behavioral. No teasers, no white-board, no technical.

Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used analysis to make a business-critical decision. Walk me through the analysis and outcome.   Answer Question
    Track down someone who works or used to work at the company. There doesn't seem to be much detailed advice around compensation on Glassdoor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Had two 90 min phone interviews, lots of "edge" questions to relate successes and failures. Felt good about the two-way dialog. Was very surprized that it didn't go to in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something that you could have done better.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

I saw this position on my alma's job board. It was interesting as it advertized working with VCs in a fast growing field.
    So I sent an email to a fellow alumni and he though that I'd fit well (I did so too, at the time). Then 2 potential peers phoned me, 1 hour each and afteward they invited me to Seattle. The interview process is tedious as they make you talk to a bunch of people (7 in my case), not really tough, just tedious. They ask typical behavioural questions, "tell me an example when you had challange and how you solved it etc etc" ... The position wasn't really a step up for me, still, I felt it had potential so I went for it. Well, after 10 days I get this super generic "no thanks" email, laced with grammar mistakes. I felt it wasn't really cool way to end it . C'mon, grow a pair. They should have courtesy to make a phonecall, I took a day off and dragged accross the country to meet them.
    I would think twice before dealing with them again as they do not seem to worry about wasting peoples time much.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a challanging situation that you faced and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want this job and how will you adjust to culture change from your current employer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

After numerous e-mails with a recruiter, a questionnaire, I finally had my first phone interview. This went ok but it was followed up by 2 more phone interviews before I was brought in for an in-person interview. The interview was with a wide range of people, some of which I would have had no interaction with on a day-to-day basis (some even from different groups). At the end of the day I thought everything went well. The only concern is salary, they say Amazon salaries are capped at $160 - such a bummer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2011.

3 phone screens but no face-to-face interview. Amazon HR is very responsive. There just wasn't a fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

I've had two phone interviews so far. The first was for a position I had not applied for (I applied for something else a while back and my resume must have been on file). The interviewer was quite brusque and didn't seem to "get" how much experience I had in that specific area. Once he figured it out, it was clear I was overqualified for the position. The next day I got a call from HR for another position. I had a great second phone interview. She was smart and personable and we had a high-quality conversation talking about business issues around the position. I've been contacted for one more phone interview, which I haven't had yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2007.

1 phone interview and then you come in to do what basically consists of five 45 minute interviews back to back. 4 of them are pretty standard interview questions (weaknesses, strengths, success in the past,...etc) and the other interview is by 1 or 2 team members who are checking to see if you make a good fit for the work culture. If one person votes against you, then you will not get the job. It is like rushing a fraternity or sorority in a way. You could be completely qualified, but if a couple people don't think you are cool or could be annoying, you will not get the job. That is what prevents most people from getting this position. A monkey could do this job if he was motivated enough.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest achievement in life? Tell me a success story of a project you spearheaded.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation available. Take it or leave it. This is an entry level position for the company.

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashik (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashik (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

i was going a interviw than hr looking me and impress with me beacause i am an i am a best management and i have a very powerful cpmmunication skills thankyou

Interview Questions
    • what is a fundamental of c programming?   View Answer