Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Intelligence Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, and on-site interview one month later. People there are nice, workplace is great.

Interview Question – A lot of technique questions, as well as programming and algorithm skills. And you need to prepare some brain teaser questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was originally contacted via e-mail by a recruiter and told that the hiring manager wanted to speak with me. I had a 1hr conversation with the hiring manager that involved just a couple of SQL questions and then behavioral questions. A few days later the recruiter told me I would be moving to the next round and scheduled a 2nd interview 13 days later. The 2nd interview was a technical SQL interview that lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• You have a table called Order with Cust_ID, Order_Date, Order_ID, Tran_Amt. Select the top 100 customers with high spend over a year long period.   View Answers (2)
  • What is the difference between DELETE and TRUNCATE?
    What is the difference between UNION and UNION ALL?
    What is the difference between a WHERE statement and a HAVING clause?
      View Answer
  • You have been asked to send an e-mail campaign to customers that have made a purchase on Amazon.com in the past but not recently. Tell me how you would go about the process. Now tell me the structure of the query you would use.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Interview Details – HR called to schedule an 30-minute phone interview to ask some screening questions. After a week, I receive an email from HR informing that manager would like to talk to me. The 2nd phone interview is 45-min technical interview, asked me if I know how to use SQL, SAS, and asked some econometrics questions. However, I do not use SQL, even I answered SAS questions very well, so I didn't go to the next round.

Interview Question – What is the difference between fixed effects and random effects?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – Position description was different and the area on which questions asked were different. Business Intelligence Engineer was the position but questions asked were on modelling a relational database.

Interview Question – Design a database and tell me the entities and constrains you will include for some business model.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Business Intelligence Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted by a Business Intelligence Engineer. The process was so nice. When I didn't understand what the question is and asked the interviewee to repeat for me. He was very nice to say it again in another way. All questions are technical questions. 1. Talk about a project you enjoyed. 2. Questions about statistical modeling.

Interview Question – Given a dataset, only the first variable has been confirmed as an independent variable. There is no other info. How to build a model or run a regression?   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for Business Intelligence Analyst position that required SQL as a primary technical skill.
After applying online, I got the invite for the first round of telephonic interview. It lasted about 30min. They asked me basic question about my background, couple of sql questions to actually test whether I know the stuff at all or not. The interview was with the hiring manager (kind of unexpected for the first interview). After a couple of days after my first round of interview they invited me for a second telephonic interview.

The second telephonic interview was with a senior business intelligence analyst and was expected to last 60mins and was scheduled 1.5 weeks after my first interview. The interviewer called about 10 mins late and asked barged of sql questions starting with basic question about different types of joins, delete & truncate difference etc. then got into specific sql queries. The interview went really well as it was quite basic but it only lasted 30mins and interviewer didn't even give me an opportunity to ask any questions...strange!

Given that I an MBA student with over 5 yrs of experience interviewing for such a technical position for which I am over qualified and still nailing it didn't impress the firm. After two hours of interview they sent me an email saying that they have decided to move with other candidates.... it was such a disappointing response....I asked the HR for the feedback since my interviews went really well...they replied with their template email saying that they don't provide one...

I really like the firm and would have loved to work their, but it seems that they are just overwhelmed with the amount of applications and have a lot to pick from.

Interview Question – Difference between detele and truncate sql, types of joins, other more advanced queries.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Business Intelligence Analyst interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.