Amazon.com Data Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process went so quick from the day I submitted my resume to an in person interview happened in 2 weeks . First was a basic hr round on your background and brief explanation of what amazon is looking for this role the lady was so good . A technical interview was scheduled with in next 2 days which went for 1.5 hours it's mostly writing queries on a white board given a business scenario involving very complex queries. The next round was an in person with 4 ppl each 1 hr most of the time it's more of behavioral questions on how you fit in amazons leadership principles ,complex querying given some business logics and Data modeling a business oltp design, to explain the cycle of what you did in your prev jobs.

Interview Questions

• All questions are simple if it's normal but with a word 'interview' your brain becomes blank ..😔 it might not be everyone but 'll put together in a day .. Am so tired today after the interview.   Answer Question
  • Feedback is not given yet but if they offer me the opportunity I would love to go for it ... So many smart ppl around and the culture of amazon looks so different I haven't seen ppl being so professional and thinking way different from lot of us. And even if you get into amazon you have to work so hard to be one of those smarties or you don't want to go there..the interviewers are always taking notes some are really wonderful managing both but some just had there face in the computer which really is lotta diversion for us to answer gives an impression that they are busy with some other job than listening to what we say 😁   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online in mid-March and got an email in about 3 weeks. It took them quite a while to setup a phone interview. A full 1 month after they first contacted me.

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult but I messed up a question regarding a complex SQL query. I used a union instead of an intersection.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview

Well planned and executed. Candidates are well informed.

Interview Questions

• None. However I have most of my work ex in teradata and they were looking for Oracle experts. e.g. Indexes in Oracle   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interviews are generally long and go on for a day and if you think you did really well, dont expect the outcome to be positive. I had a total of 2 interviews over the phone which was completely technical with a bunch of SQL questions and scenarios. Then I was called for an In-Person interview with overall 8 people. About 4 interviews including the lunch interview was full of SQL questions with a lot of white-boarding. I was about to end the day on a high note but surprisingly it ended up with C# and Algorithm questions, which really baffled me (especially for a data engineer position). I was sure of getting the offer but I did not!!

Interview Questions

• A puzzle which had to be solved using an algorithm and also write code for the same   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview after 2-3 days after resume registered in Amazon career website; Phone interview is very technical oriented, most are SQL query and data modeling. Depends on 1st phone interview performance, 2nd or 3rd phone interviews will be scheduled. If 1st phone interview is excellent, on-site interview is scheduled within 1-2 weeks. Technical and behavior questions are for on-site.

Interview Questions

• Very details to the project you had done, be prepared on the tough one regarding the project details.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

After a technical phone screen, there was a 45-minute call with the recruiter. Mostly the purpose was to prepare me for what to expect. He gave me 17 leadership principles and did some practice rounds with how to answer questions about those. The in-person interview consisted of five 45-minute interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a meeting and had an opinion different from everyone else in the room. What did you do and what were the outcomes?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by the Recruiter for setting up the initial phone interview for Data Engineer position. It went for one hour and I did my level best in the interview. I was not notified about neither the Interview result nor the next steps but later I came to know that the position was closed through one of the other Recruiters when she contacted me for another Data Engineer position.

Interview Questions

• Describe the current job duties and briefly explain how it would fit into the job position   Answer Question
    • Basic unix commands, Oracle sql queries - especially questions on Aggregation and Analytic functions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter set up a phone interview with the manager. The phone call went very smooth. The manager asked me general questions about my background and my work experience.He aked some technical questions and also gave few scenarios and asked for my opinion and approach to solve the problems. Over all the round went well . The recruiter got back to me with a request for one more phone interview with some software developer.This second round did not go well. The interviewer was very disrespectful and kept interrupting me while I was talking. I was surprised to receive such treatment from someone who works for such a great company.

Interview Questions

• He asked questions on what is OLAP , OLTP , questions on data warehousing , SQL queries   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2010.

Interview

Very long turnaround, one and a half months between first interview and applying. The interviews are tough as I had to write SQL over the phone. First phone interview was with the hiring manager, second was with someone not even associated with the team. This second interview didnt go well as the person was just not that into it, was unclear in his questions and a little argumentative.

Interview Questions

• I want to design a database similar to imdb, design it, and tell me the structure/fields so that 1. given a specific year, you can find top 5 grossing films 2. given an actor, return all his costars 3. all movies with more than 3 cast members.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I was contacted by the Recruiter for setting up a phone interview with the manager for first round. The phone call lasts one hour. The manager asked me general questions about my background and some technical questions about DWH and BI. He also asked 2-3 questions to write SQL queries within given scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an opinion different from your manager or business users? What did you do?   Answer Question