Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter, who asked for a current resume and then scheduled a phone screening with someone on the hiring team. The phone screener was nice enough. He asked five technical questions and no behavioral questions, which I've included below. He didn't ask me anything about my background and experience and didn't tell me anything about the job because it wasn't a job with his group. I probably didn't answer them very well because the recruiter then told my I was no longer in consideration a day or two later.

Interview Question – i. Tell me about the supervised machine learning techniques that you know about?
ii. If you have a customer and want to decide whether they will “buy today” or “not buy today” and you know 1. where they live, 2. their income, 3. their gender, 4. their profession, how would you define a machine learning algorithm.
iii. How does a neural network with one layer and one input and output compare to a logistic regression.
iv. For a long sorted list and a short (4 element) sorted list, what algorithm would you use to search the long list for the 4 elements.
v. How would the algorithm above scale.
vi. Given an unfair coin with the probability of heads not equal to .5. What algorithm could you use to create a list of random 1s and 0s.
  Answer Question

Data Scientist

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – two phone interview sofar

Interview Question – in the end of the interview he asked if I have any question:
I asked what is the responsibilities and duties for this position: he answered I don't know. I am not in this group
then I asked what kind of model you are using
he answered I cannot share this kind of information (he just could say for example statistical models).
  Answer Question

Data Scientist

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email one week later. They scheduled a technical interview for me with a software engineering manager within two weeks. I'm not sure if they will focus on coding or modeling problems. I had no idea how to prepare for this.

The interview turned out to be modeling questions.

Interview Question – How to do customer recommendation?   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!