Amazon.com

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Digital Media Content Strategist Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who found me through LinkedIn and shared a link to the job description. I was asked if I was interested in knowing more about the position and being considered for it. After a few email exchanges I sent my full resume at the request of the recruiter. A few weeks went by with no word, so I touched base again. Apparently my resume hadn't gone through. This time it did and an initial phone interview was set up with the recruiter.

Phone Interview #1

The interview was very general in nature with no major technical questions being asked. I had expected this as it was a screening interview with the recruiter. What I hadn't expected was to be asked my salary expectations and how much I currently make. I thought this was a bit premature in the discussions as I still didn't have a solid understanding of the position, its responsibilities, or how it fit into the larger picture of Amazon as a whole. The recruiter was very nice about it though and understood my position of needing more information before being able to supply specific amount, but I gave a fairly broad range of what I know the position was worth. She said that was exactly the range they were considering, and was respectful of me declining to share my current salary. The interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Phone Interview #2

This interview was with the hiring manager. A lot of my questions about the position were answered, and I was asked more technical questions. I was able to get a better understanding of the position, the manager's view of how the role fit into the larger picture at Amazon, and the work culture of the team. The interview lasted about an hour and I was told to expect a follow-up within a week from the recruiter I spoke with during my first interview, and the next portion of the interview process would include a technical assessment.

I was indeed contacted within a week, but by a different recruiter and to schedule a third interview with an information architect. I was a bit confused because I was expecting a technical assessment. I wrote to get clarification as to the nature of the interview, and I was told it was a phone interview just like the one with the hiring manager and the technical assessment would come later.

Phone Interview #3

This interview was with an information architect. I was expecting a similar interview as to the one with the hiring manager because of the information the recruiter gave me. However, it was much more technical and I was a bit taken aback my the nature of the questions. I hadn't prepared properly, which as partly my fault, but I also wasn't expecting to answer in-depth technical questions I was being asked since the recruiter told me the interview would be very similar to the one with the hiring manager.

A few days after the third interview the recruiter emailed to say the hiring manager had decided to pursue other candidates and welcomed me to apply for other positions at Amazon. When I asked for feedback as to why I wasn't selected so that I could better my skill set to be more competitive for future positions with the company, I was told Amazon has a no feedback policy. Again, I was taken aback by the response because I know several people who have received feedback from Amazon after not being selected for a position, and friends who work with Amazon that have provided feedback to potential employees.

So, at the end of the entire interview experience that spanned out over the course of a month, I was left with a less than stellar impression of the company. While they were fairly prompt at responding to my questions, aside from right after sending them my resume, I was being told one thing and experiencing another. It reminds me that it's important for potential employees to consider the interview process an interview of the company as much as the company is interviewing you.

Interview Question – If you were asked to create content to help with a Kindle customer service problem, how you could go about creating that content given there are different versions of the product and the problem applied to some of them but not all of them? This is in addition to there being no central place that stores all the help content for all the different versions of Kindle.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Digital Media Content Strategist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.