Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Phone interview was included mostly high-level questions. Interviewer was pleasant and asked straight-forward questions. The on-site interview is a difficult but manageable. Went through several interviews with lunch in between. Mainly technical questions except for one interview that asked some business-related questions.

Interview Question – Problem faced with past project.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – focus in the company and its values, be prepared to link your experience to amazon leadership principles, search for amazon FCs on youtube, and contacto people on current positions from linkedin

Interview Question – be prepared to work in a fast pace environment....it is amazing!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – little room for negotiation.....get pieces of advice before heading to it

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online, and was contacted two weeks later for an online challenge on codility. There were three questions, which were not difficult. However, it started with the most difficult questions, and I spent over thirty minutes on that and I started to panic cause I only had 90 minutes in total. I solved the first question perfectly, but with the second one, though being easier, I missed some edge cases. The third question was too simple (think of fizz-buzz), but due to my rush, I was so exhausted and I decided to submit the answer anyway (didn't realize my mistake in the second question until late).

Anyway, I thought I failed and wasn't expecting to hear from them anytime soon, but it turned out I did well enough and they moved me to the phone screening round. The first round was very simple - the engineer asked only basic questions and did some small coding. I was told then that they would do another round of phone interview - the questions weren't too difficult, and I stumbled a bit but I think I did very well.

Finally, they moved me forward to the onsite interview. As I'm based in Asia and the team in Edinburgh, they sent me to the Tokyo office and I did the interview with the virtual conferencing room there. The interview questions were standard - I also stumbled a bit but basically I managed fine. I was told of that they decided to extend an offer a week later

Interview Question – One question involve removing a node in a linked list with recursion - I was given a buggy piece of code and was asked to fix it. I was distracted when I mentioned this would not work on a long linked list so I couldn't answer it but the engineer let it go anyway since we were short on time   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was really good compared to UK standard. However, I also have other offers from the US with much higher compensation (yes, the number you see on Glassdoor for UK salary is correctly - it's around 40% lower than the US site). Finally, I got a job from a big tech company in Silicon Valley (not the big four though), and the offer was too attractive to turn down. Plus the team their fits my interests better.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Team Manager Interview

Team Manager
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted 3 weeks later for a phone interview.

Phone interview was based on 5 competency based questions.I received an email 2 weeks later and was invited to attend a formal interview and was supposed to get another email with more details.I never received any further communication and had to call Amazon for confirmation.

I spoke with a very aggresive woman who asked me why I did not call before and apologize a few minutes later for the poor communication.

I went through the interview process consisting of 4 different interviewers asking more or less the same type of questions.They all made me understand that everybody was working hard but there was no discussion with regards to shifts or long working hours.The all process last for around 4 hours and I was nicely offered a jug of tap water during this time.They asked me what salary I was expecting and the only answer I got was " are you being serious"?

At the end of the interview I was asked to wait at the reception where no one did show up so I asked the receptionnist if she knew where the interviewers were and she replied that they were having lunch.
I never received any feedback since ( interview was over a month ago).

I haven't been impressed with the all process and with the poor communication and the way Amazon is treating people.You really feel like a number when interviewing for this company.

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!