Amazon.com Engineering Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

After applying, I first had a phone interview with one of the recruiters. A couple of weeks later, I was told I would be coming in for the second round of interviews. The second round took about 5 hours, and each time I met with someone different- the hiring manager, senior engineers, etc. It was not very stressful, and fairly casual (they asked me not to wear a suit, for example).

Interview Questions

• I was asked to whiteboard a complex solution to a customer problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Richmond, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

The questions in the interview are algorithm design and coding.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

The process was smooth and I talked with some excellent people. I didn't prepare in advance and I think that helped, as all my responses were genuine.

Interview Questions

• How would you design x system. Now imagine you need to scale that 1000x   Answer Question

Concerned about work/life balance.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was very pleasant and open ended. Was also tested on my skills, so have pen and paper ready to answer technical questions if asked. I was able to ask questions of the interviewer at the end, so have those in place, and the interviewer was very responsive. I am awaiting to hear the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Have you proposed an idea to your company that would save the company time and money? How was it received?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

i got a mail to show up 1 week before the interview. it was a 45min interview. i passed the first one and was scheduled for 3 more 1:1 interviews the following day. at the last interview i was told tat my decision would be conveyed to me in a week. they took 2 weeks though and rejected me

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2010.

Interview

Very disorganized recruiting coordinators and recruiters who don't follow up and seem completely confused about what position *they* contacted you about. People on the interview loop seemed to think that Amazon interviews are "intense" but they are breeze compared to Microsoft and other high tech companies.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2009.

Interview

Communications and organization of the interviews were very prompt. Had 3 phone interviews which was excessive

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

Interview

Straight forward, HR staff could not have been better. Kept me at ease through full process. Exactly as expected from reading reviews here. 2 phone, 1 day x 6 onsite interviews.

Negotiation

Great Offer no negotiation

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview

3 phone interviews: * first one was more an informative one to describe the exact job * second one was a more "behavioural" one, with usual hr questions like " did you ever disagree with your boss ? what did you do ?", "did you ever disagree with a client ? what did you do ? why did it work?". That interview also contained a lot of questions based ona technology I had used for another projecs with questions like "what are the advantages of this technology? would you recommend it ?what were the consequences for your project..." * third interview was postponed the day before the interview because the guy was sick (it seems that they only had one guy for interviews... no comment) well, anyway, his English was difficult to understand (clearly not his mother tongue...). The third interview was the technical one with questions about sql, xml, some basic Linux commands, tcp/ip...

Interview Questions

• Let's imagine that you are doing some operations on tables, the server containing the database goes down, how would you do to perform the operation anyway ?   1 Answer