Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for a few jobs (all Executive Assistant) but was not selected for an interview on any of these. I was contacted by someone in another department who saw my resume and wanted to find out if I was interested in the position she was looking to fill. I confirmed my interest, and she asked me to fill out a questionnaire. After returning the questionnaire via email, she confirmed that the team was interested in interviewing me, and I was then contacted by the recruiting coordinator. She scheduled a time for me to talk with someone else, and I am currently awaiting that phone interview.

Interview Question – So far, I've only been asked standard questions about problem solving, compensation, and how many hours are too many per week, etc.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for an EA position and within a week had gotten a call from the HR gal at Amazon. She had told me about a new process for 1st round interviews where they used video as their technique. You were to log in on this website they provided and then your round of questioning would start. You could do some practice runs if you wanted. So you could know how to use the website. Once you started they would ask a question. You then had 30 seconds to read the question before the video turned on for your response. The HR gal also gave you an option to talk on the phone for the 1st round. I would in the future suggest you go with the live person on the phone.

Interview Question – It was a difficult and awkward process because you see yourself on the camera and also you only get 30 seconds to read the question, understand it, and answer. The whole process was a bit stressful. The questions were not out of context nor did I have any unexpected questions. That is the only positive thing about this video interview. If you study common questions for your field you should be good to answer and not be caught off guard.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was email communications, phone interview and in person interview for 5 hours with multiple members of the Amazon team.

Interview Question – Every question was centered around providing exact examples of when you have used different technology suites to accomplish job. They want you to be very precises. So make sure to really think of not just how to answer the question but do it with an example, and don't talk for more than 2 minutes per questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2009.

Interview Details – It's a l-o-n-g process. You will have 1 or 2 phone screens and if you make it past those, you'll be brought in for a (likely) day-long interview marathon. One right after the other. Each person you interview with is looking for how you'd fit with one of Amazon's core values. They usually also throw in a 'wild card' person...someone with whom your position might never interact with, but they have a high level / deeper insight they are looking at/for. That group will meet and discuss after your day is over and they will decide to offer/not offer. If they do not make you an offer, they will not give you feedback on why. It's policy. If they do make you an offer, they won't negotiate much on salary, but you might find wiggle room in some of the benefits.

Interview Question – Nothin too unexpected...but the long day makes for better chances of breaking you down by the end. Don't lose focus.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – The entire process started via an online application through their career site. It's a pretty typical fill-in-the-form sort of process, with the chance to attach a resume and cover letter. The information is then sent onto the recruiters handling the hiring for that particular job. They see a lot of resumes, so make sure yours highlights those skills and accomplishments that directly relate to the position.

Applying at Amazon is a marathon, not a sprint. In total, including phone and in-person, I went through over 10 interviews for the position. The important take away from this is drive and consistency. They really want to make sure you're the best fit. But, this process also provides plenty of opportunities for you to really get to know and understand the company culture. Be consistent. And, strive to maintain your energy level and balance throughout.

A few days after applying, I received an email from a recruiter interested in setting up a phone interview. This is really just to see if there are any immediate red flags. After the interview with the recruiter, I had two more phone interviews. The first was with an EA and it covered many of the expected questions about organizational and time management skills. The second interview was with the manager I would be supporting. Here the questions tended to focus on fit, approach, and multitasking strategies. These phone interviews took place over the course of a week. The more flexible you are with scheduling, the better.

The phone interviews were followed by several in-person interviews on campus. I meet with two additional EAs, the manager I would be supporting for a second time, two of the managers with the organization, one of the recruiters, and several others. If you've reached this point, there is some confidence on their part that you have the skills needed for the job. The questions were much more closely tied to cultural fit, working on a team, and getting a good picture of how problems are recognized and resolved. These in-person interviews can be challenging. But, they are your best chance to really get a sense of your fit and a picture of the team.

Get plenty of sleep the night before and don't be afraid to ask for a break. These interviews can take up all morning or all day depending on the circumstances. The dress on campus is casual. This isn't business causal (though you will see that some). This is a nice pair of jeans, some trainers, and a clean shirt casual. Take a lot of notes. Ask a lot of questions, both about the culture and the team. And, don't forget to send out thank you notes to each interviewer personally.

Again, the key here is consistency, drive, and energy. Amazon is a company that is very fast-paced, detail oriented, and results driven. Stress your fit along these lines, as well as your familiarity with the leadership principles, and you'll have a good shot at an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where something you planned did not turn out as you expected.   View Answer
  • How exactly do you prioritize your tasks?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Here, the tried and true rule of not naming a price first is good to remember. The recruiter will try to get a sense from you of what you're looking for in terms of salary. But, stand your ground and wait for a number from them. They're actively looking for the best people and they're willing to pay to get them. Remember, that Microsoft is located across the lake and wants to hire from the same class.

That said, the offer packages are very competitive. In fact, their first offer was more than what I had hoped to receive after negotiation.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume directly to a job requisition, and was contacted by the temp agency who was charged with hiring for that position. After a phone screen by the agency, I had a phone screen with a senior EA for the department. I was then invited in for an interview loop that consisted of five sequential one hour interviews. The next day I received an offer for a several month contract. The interview process is grueling, but not unpleasant; people at Amazon are amazingly nice. The atmosphere is definitely casual - a suit would be out of place. Business casual attire works fine for an interview process.

Interview Question – A question I received multiple times was "how do you keep your executive on track with their meetings?", and also "how do you know when it is time to go home?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I am still on contract, but currently in consideration for full time position. If you are good, don't hesitate to take a contract position - the company is growing and hiring, so the opportunity is there to come on full time, plus it gives you the opportunity to see if the position is a good fit before you commit to full time.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2009.

Interview Details – It was long but I didn't mind that. I knew they were being thorough and that made me feel confident that they really wanted me when I was offered the job. There were 2 45 minute phone screens and then 5 in - house interviews. The entire process took about 2 weeks which seems quick for a company that size.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation where you failed and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The base salary offer was good with a 2 year sign on bonus and stock. I was able to negotiate more sign on bonus and stock but not any additional base. Unfortunately, as my tenure progressed, my feelings for Amazon diminished based on poor management. Mine was failing upward.

Executive Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Emailed about phone interview.

Interview Question – In what order would you complete these three tasks...   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – The EA position I applied for was to support TWO VPs, one of which was for what was soon to be referred to as a "Super VP". After applying online through their website, I was contacted by a recruiting manager. I had an initial phone interview with her which covered why I was interested, would I relocate even if they wouldn't pay for it, and and even how i used the website.
I had a second phone interview with the same recruiting manager, but also paired with the senior EA I'd be working under who asked me a few job-technical questions.
Next, they flew me in for a face-to-face round, wherein I had 6 interviews in 4 hours. It was absolutely a marathon. I walked in at 12 and walked out at 4. I was spent and exhausted at the time.
Interviews:
#1 - Senior EA (again) - Several situational questions
#2 - EA to another VP in the same division - Questions about how I function in the workplace, "how do you feel about eating lunch at your desk most of the time?"
#3 - Recruiting Manager (again) - Questions pertained to my current salary, expectations and timeline should I be offered the position.
#4 - The "Super VP" - Standard stuff: what are my strenghs, how would I handle..., etc.
#5 - Another EA to another VP in the same division - standard questions regarding how I work with other EAs.
#6 - The (regular) VP - "Where do you see yourself in a couple years", "what are your career goals", etc.

There were a lot of repeat questions throughout the afternoon, so I tried to focus on remaining consistent regarding answers I gave to negative-type questions (i,e, weaknesses, mistakes), and providing varied answers for the positive-type questions (i.e. strengths, solution seeking)

Overall, it was very draining and exhausting but REALLY good practice.

Interview Question – What was a mistake you made in your current role and how did you recover?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interview took 5 hours; the person I would be supporting did not show up due to an emergency. Overall, I spoke with 5 people and the recruiter: two were people I would be supporting, one was a person I would work with frequently, and two were interviewers whose opinions the recruiting group valued.

It began well, with the first interviewer asking questions I anticipated and I thought I answered pretty well. The second person was great, as well, and he asked similar questions to the first. The third person was simply a breath of fresh air - told me about the culture, the people, the work - she wasn't 'rah-rah' but was extremely proud of her position. The fourth and fifth interviewers were where I thought my answers slipped a bit. While they both asked great questions, the fourth interviewer challenged my answers, which I totally didn't expect, and the fifth interviewer had me go into incredible detail over the steps about my decision-making process.

Let's be blunt: working at Amazon is challenging. You're surrounded by some of the best talent on earth, with a singular customeri-driven goal. It's a fast-paced, high-standards environment that some would not thrive in. My background is in advertising and healtcare, so I'm QUITE familiar with this type of environment. But the one thing that struck me with every interviewer was the fun they were having working there. Exhausting? Sure. But every person told me they were having a blast.

If you get a call for an in-person interview at Amazon, do it. It is a grueling, mind-bending experience, but it will challenge you to look at your career, and yourself, a little more critically. At least I know it did for me - my brain still hurts.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where something you planned did not turn out as you expected.   View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!