Amazon.com Interview Questions in Herndon, VA

3.6

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cloud Support Engineer - Amazon Web Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Arranged for technical phone interview of 60-90min with in-depth technical skills. The interviewer was in another location, not at the actual work location. He asked more like verbal exams, quite formal. It had 3 parts: CS, tech, and Amazon culture as previous reviews mentioned. Yes, he did asked me nosql and ports numbers. If you get the job, you'd have 3 weeks training in Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • How to set up networks for several locations, such as in VA, WA, and UT. Several questions of port numbers.   View Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

I found the hiring process to be very efficient. I had applied online on their job portal. I was contacted with in couple days by one of the recruiting team members to setup phone interview. The result of phone interview was out in couple days, and it was arranged for me to visit on site for in person interviews. In person interviews lasted for many hours, where I met many team members. The conversations were very engaging, and in depth exploration of my background experience and skill set. I was given the opportunity to ask questions. Lead recruiter contacted me with the results with in 3 days. Offer was made and I accepted it.

Overall the hiring process was a very positive experience, and it gave me confidence to choose Amazon Web Services, over one another offer that I had received about the same time.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The recruiter from AWS reached out to me for an initial telephone interview. This was followed by another technical screening within a week. Questions were quite general and scenario based mainly related to managing difficult situations during production outage, etc. I received an email within couple hours that they would like to have another technical phone interview with senior manager. Again the questions ranged from managing a team and different project management scenarios. After going through 3 telephone interviews, got an email after 1 - 2 weeks for on-site (Herndon, VA) interview with AWS team members. This was a 5 and a half hour interview with 6 different people ranging from TPM, Software Development Manager, etc. It sure was quite intense and you really have to know what you are talking about. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Draw and define a software architecture diagram and explain how would you handle encryption along each transition phase of the data?   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Still in process. Applied online. Contacted within a couple weeks of applying and interview scheduled within a week of that. Still in-process.
    Questions followed the general line of those posted on glassdoor (TCP vs UDP, explain how DNS works, horizontal vs verticle scaling, relational vs NoSQL DB pros/cons, CDN, how to make an application redundant, etc

Interview Questions
    • Did not really have any difficult questions. Was asked about developing large scale solutions (in this case, large scale was greater than a few thousand users which doesn't really seem large scale). Discussed a past project experience.   Answer Question

AWS Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

recruiter contact me and schedule a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • how to find closest stars from earth. with a billion stars on the sky. how to implement min heap, and what the heap tree looks like after a insert of new item.   Answer Question

Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Was very detailed and to the point. Be brief and answer quickly and confident. Have your resume speak for you.

Interview Questions
    Very good and is all about your level of expertise. You have to have some kind of tech background to even get in or you are not even looked at.

Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was contacted by a recruiter about an open Cloud Support Engineer position at Amazon (technically, AWS in Herndon, VA). I was told from the outset that it would be an intense interview process, consisting of 4-6 phone interviews, followed by at least 2 in-person interviews. I made it past the first phone interview, answering most of the questions the interviewer asked. I wasn't thrilled with how it went, so was a bit surprised when the call came to schedule the second phone interview. That interview (I felt) went better than the first, but when I got the follow-up call, I was told that they decided to pursue a different candidate. Overall it was a very professional process and I have no complaints about it.

Interview Questions
    • Not overly difficult, but the recruiter asked about managing WAN links, which is where my skills fell short of their requirements (I think).   Answer Question

AWS Support - Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

A recruiter contacted me in regards to the position. I was scheduled for a primary telephone interview by someone in the office of the position (Herndon, VA). The recruiter explained that it would be imperative that I know the job description well, as I would need to identify my experience in each of the requirements. After doing a LOT of research on the company, the CEO, current products, etc, I began my interview. I was very excited as my experience was SPOT on with all of the responsibilities of the position. Well, boy was I blindsided. The interviewer did not ask ANY questions about the company, did not ask ANY questions about the actual position. From the job description, it would be all about Customer Service, Quality Assurance, and managing a team of technical support staff. This interviewer only asked HIGHLY technical questions that pertained to someone who would already be in the position of Technical Support on the AWS products. Obviously, I was not prepared in the way that I would have been, if I had known it was not the job that was in the posting. A day later, I received a notification from the recruiter that I was not being considered for the position. I sent her an email, asking if I had been interviewed for the correct position, and explained my experiences. She never responded. I was VERY disappointed, as I had done my homework on the position, and it sounded as though it would be a perfect fit. The same values on Customer Service, etc. Well, after the experience I just had, and with the lack of respect by the recruiter, to reply to my email, I have a very bad taste in my mouth, in regards to AWS. They are not at all the company they portray to be.

Interview Questions
    • Actually, every question was unexpected, as it was not at all related to the job posting. One specific question, "If you could invent anything, what would it be, and why?". Pretty standard these days.   Answer Question

Senior IT Transformation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

I don't remember applying to Amazon, although I might have applied a couple of months ago ad forgotten about it, and I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. I was very excited to be considered for this position because the job description is exactly what I'm looking for, and I love Amazon as a company. The job description makes it sound like the position is of an Architect Consultant, event though the title doesn't mention architect.

Unfortunately, the job descriptions completely outsells the job. It is basically a developer consultant position. They send you to a site, and you write code for the client leveraging Amazon solutions. That is fine, but the job description makes it sound like you will be architecting solutions and helping the client plan strategy.

I had one phone interview, and the guy asked me all developer type questions that I answered. Once I asked him about the role, he explained it's 100% hands on programming. I don't know if it was a mix-up on their end or I completely misunderstood the job requirements.

I'm used to getting calls from bodyshoppers for development jobs because those guys basically just match keywords in the resume without understanding the resume. I didn't expect that from Amazon.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on JVM memory model, threading and Generics. No design questions.   Answer Question

Global Marketing Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter via email to set up a phone interview. The email indicated that I would be interviewed by a "hiring team". I received a call from one person, who would be the hiring manager. The phone interview was great-we discussed the job, we discussed my credentials, some experiences I had and overall marketing knowledge. Exactly as expected. I was then contacted a few days later that I would need to have another phone interview with another person on the hiring "team". This is where things got bizarre. The interviewer, after identifying himself, asked me what I was interviewing for. I was under the impression I would be interviewing with him as a prospect for a position on his team (so I understood), even though this was not of interest to me. No matter-he wasn't hiring until January (4 months). He then proceeded to tell me this would be the average Amazon interview, as opposed to specific to the position (was he the bar raiser? Why was I interviewing with him, he seemed like he didn't have the slightest idea about what I'd really be doing?). Onward. He asked me a variety of very specific questions. 1. What do we sell? 2. Describe what cloud means. 3. Sell cloud services to me. 4. Do you know who is our CEO? 5. How do you pronounce his name? (I thought this to be particularly snotty) 6. Have you heard of our principles? What are they? Why are they important? Which one do you think makes the most sense to you? 8. Describe a customer service situation and how customers are important to you. Who was your most difficult customer? 9. Asked a good amount of questions aimed at my particular business. 10. What can you do for me (in this department)? What should I know? 11. Biggest difficulty you've had to overcome in career. He would also ask me a question that I would answer after which he would say "I need more than that", but couldn't lead me into where he wanted me to focus or expound.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know who is our CEO? How do you pronounce his name?   View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!