Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon?
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
    2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
    3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
    5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    8. How do you motivate people?
    9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. Name a time you screwed up
    7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
    6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Software Development Engineer Interview

Four rounds in total. Every rounds was consist of one behavior question and one technical algorithm questions. The algorithm questions included linkedlist, hashmap and graph search. Every interviewee talked a lot about what they do in their teams.

Interview Questions
    • Not exactly as the problems I prepared before the interview.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted via email for a phone screen. After the initial phone screen I was scheduled for 2 phone interviews with other departmental EA's.
    Last step was an in person loop at the Amazon offices to meet with 6 team member. I met 1 recruiter, 4 EA's and 2 Directors. It was a 5 hour loop.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer situational questions. Be specific about experiences with other positions and be thoughtful about your answers. Try to think of best and worst case experiences and how you dealt with those in your past and what you learned from each. Don't try to be a perfect specimen. Be human, be honest and be accountable for your experiences.   View Answer
    Still in the offer phase. Great experience so far. Getting to the in person interview took some patience, but it has moved very quickly to the offer stage.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on indeed.com got email from a recruiter that asked a few questions why do you want to change jobs etc. next I received a email stating they wanted to have phone interview. Once I had the phone interview got an email from the recruiter saying they were interested in the face to face interview. I accepted went to the interview and was asks behavioral questions which I don't think is a very fair way of interviewing but that's they're method. Once the interview was done I was escorted out by hr manager. She said they would call because they were looking to fill immediately. Later that day I logged into my amazon profile and found out that I was not selected for the position although I had more than the experience for it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you strongly disagreed with your manager on something that was really important to the company. What was it about and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Applied online, and received a phone interview request after 2 weeks. The interview manager was quite nice but the interview was kind of difficult. They wanted to know every detail about you resume so be prepared to talk about your resume a lot. Anticipate some behavioral question as well.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I got an interview through an employee referal. They reached out after about a month after my application. The two interviews were scheduled for the next few days so there was not a lot of time to prepare between being asked to interview and the interview itself. The interview consisted of two back to back technical 45 minute interviews over the phone. The interviewers were nice and helpful and understanding of my newbie status into computer science.

Interview Questions
    • -Few language specific questions on Java -- what are private/public/package, who can access variable and methods given one of these?
      -What is a hashtable, how would you implement one?
      -Binary trees/AVL trees, what can you tell me about them.
      -Given two texts, x and y, where x < y, check if all the characters of x are in y.
      -Given a string, find the longest repeating substring.
        Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview process was fairly straightforward. Asked several leadership questions, looking for a candidate who's experienced in a leadership role and encountered any kind of dilemmas and how they handled it. Then a fairly simple math flow problems relating to operations.

Interview Questions
    • Be as detailed as possible where you displayed leadership at work   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

You have to absolutely make sure that you prepare thoroughly before you do the online assessment, you study up on your fundamentals. All questions are data structure algorithm type questions. I would get one of those prep books for technical interviews. Make sure you are at a secluded place when you take the test. Those are my abominable mistakes. Good Luck!

Interview Questions
    • I respect the NDA that I signed. Fundamental coding questions is all I can say.   Answer Question

University Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

3 rounds of interviews. 2 phone interviews. Last in person interview had 6 rounds with behavioral questions. Some of the interviewers did not seem like they had any sort of idea regarding my background. I think those who were unaware were employees who I would not actually be working with directly - sort of a company fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used metrics to show results for recruiting. My last job did not use measurements as I worked in a creative space before.   Answer Question