Amazon.com Interview Questions

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle. Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview. Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have. Phone Interviews : Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not. 1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to... 2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of... 3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you. 4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it. As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write. **Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website. 1. Tell me about yourself 2. Strengths 3. Weaknesses 4. Why Amazon? 5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon? 6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest? Groups/ Leadership 1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it 2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict? 3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity? 4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance 5. What is your take on leadership? 6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict? 7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles? Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service 1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity? 2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety 3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees 4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant) 5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do 6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction 7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader? 8. How do you motivate people? 9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors Negativity 1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it? 2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it 3. How do you deal with stress? 4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it? 5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance 6. Name a time you screwed up 7. What frustrates you Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing 1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process 2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve 3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved 4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed 5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem 6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   4 Answers

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Long and tedious. Many self-important individuals more interested in impressing their co-workers than finding the best candidate for the job. While each interviewer was supposed to cover a specific topic related to the job description, the reality was somewhat different. Preparation was meaningless as they didn't remain focused to the discussion at hand.

Interview Questions

• There were many questions along the lines of "Describe in detail a time when....and how did you handle that situation...."   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

One phone call to schedule the interview was followed by another and another. Not only was the time and date changing each time, but also who I would be interviewing with. By the time I was able to find someone to conduct the interview, it ended up being so rushed and short that I was wondering what the point of even doing it at all. At the end I was told by the interviewer that she would contact me again shortly, but that never happened. Obviously there was a lot of internal confusion or miscommunication throughout the whole process. Not sure how common this is.

Interview Questions

• Simple screening questions about my background   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Over the phone interview with recruiter, Online code test, 4 technical interviews. Phone interview was to quickly go over experience, online test was a timed coding test in a language of your choice. Each technical interview was a 1:1 with a technical manager or senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Online code test at hackerrank.com. Technical interviews were very low level comp sci sort of stuff and not specific to any technology.   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I went through a technical phone screen with the hiring manager and was then invited onsite to meet with six different managers at all levels (managers, senior managers, and directors) plus a technical program manager and a senior software engineer.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Standard phone screen with hr, then a few interviews with hiring mgr and a senior colleague. Went well, but hiring manager seemed quite junior in knowledge. Went to Seattle for an on site and most of the interviews went fine. Had one of those weird ones where the interviewer asked about non-sensical information. Hiring manager was clearly not very experienced. Senior colleague kept grilling me on why I wanted to join. After the interviews I felt good knowing I had interviewed but decided it was not the place for me. There is way too much koolaid drinking going on there. I was clearly over qualified for the role. I get an offer for a position lower with a starting salary significantly below what I'm currently making. Thanks but no thanks.

Interview Questions

Comp was laughably low, with small stock grant heavy loaded in years 3+4.

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Interview

Interviewed with several rounds of employees I got asked a case question in every interview Be sure to know the Amazon leadership principles and know of a situation where you applied them

Interview Questions

• Case question about launching a new business or product   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

Online test followed by phone call. Online test was little difficult and they were asking two questions. 1. Social Graph : In this problem, we want to parse a members social graup on the hot new social network. For the unfamiliar, each member in the network has n-many friends. Each of those friends has n-many more friends an on and on and on. We would like to write a program that given a socal graph, outputs each level of friends. Each friend should only be output once, at the first level they are encountered. The root friend should not be output. Input will consists of serveral lines, where each line represents a member and their friends. The final line will be the student of whom we will begin our traversal. For instance, a member and their friends will be represented as a string: A:B,C,D Where A is the member and B, C and D are the friends of A. If a member is listed without a colon, you can assume they have no friends of their own. Input 4 A:B,C,D B:A,D,E C:E,B A output: B:C,D E

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Tracy, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview and a 3 hour on site interview. Look up the leadership principles and try to incorporate them into your answers. Just be friendly and be yourself. When they tell you to dress casual, dress casual. No need to wear a suit. I wore a pair of Chucks, Hudson Jeans with a nice Banana Republic button up and a BP blazer.

Interview Questions

• I signed a NDA so I cannot submit any interview questions.   1 Answer