Amazon.com Interview Questions

4,873 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon?
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
    2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
    3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
    5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    8. How do you motivate people?
    9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. Name a time you screwed up
    7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
    6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Amazon recruiters contacted me after finding my LinkedIn profile, and asked me to interview for a Principal TPM position. I wasn't really intending on considering the position (as I lived in Boston) but I figured it would be good to get the experience. She arranged for a phone screen with another principal TPM a week later.

The first phone screen was primarily a discussion of my background. The interviewer had me walk him through my career, focusing on responsibilities, challenges faced, and how I handled situations. The interviewer said another phone screen would follow up a week later.

The second phone screen was also with a Principal TPM. This time we focused on lots of "how would you handle this situation" type of questions, and then requests to relate it to previous work experiences. At the conclusion the interviewer stated he would like me to come to Seattle to take an in-person interview. This was right around Christmas, so I asked for a few weeks to figure out my holiday schedule.

Before my in-person interview, another recruiter called and informed me that there is a writing assignment I would need to complete before the in-person interview. He emailed me with instructions and three scenarios from which to choose to write a 2-4 page paper. The options were all "tell us about a time where..." situational questions. The actual answer to the question is only used to seed follow-up questions in-person; the real intent of the assignment is to assess your ability to organize and communicate thoughts clearly and concisely.

I flew in the week before Christmas, arriving Sunday night/Monday morning around 1am. They put me up at a hotel a few blocks from the interview site. I wore a suit (don't bother, it's casual... slacks and a polo is plenty dressed), and arrived at 9.45 for a 10am interview.

The first interviewer came and got me promptly at 10. She introduced herself (a TPM), and then took me to a conference room where we had a more-or-less typical situational-style interview. "Tell me about a time where..." questions, nothing too tough.

The second interviewer was a manager of product managers, and he focused on questions about how to recognize and recover from situations where plans have gotten off track. This was another interview where

The third interviewer was a software development manager, and his interview was definitely the most unexpected and surreal of the day. He started by asking me what business Amazon should invest in next. Based on my answer, we spent the next hour exploring every aspect of my answer... why that particular idea, how to implement it (down to the nuts & bolts), business considerations, etc. The style was very confrontational. This interview was designed to see how quickly I could think on my feet, how rational my answers would be, and how I would handle direct challenges and refutation.

The fourth interviewer was a product manager. He took me down to the cafe where we grabbed lunch and ate during the interview (hate that). We primarily discussed the proper metrics to gather and correct ways to analyze data in different situations with regards to making business decisions. I think the goal of this interview was to assess critical thinking skills and business acumen.

The fifth interviewer was a Principal TPM (whom I later found out was the hiring manager, and who is now my boss). This interview was all about technology -- how to design distributed systems, problems that become emergent at massive scale, REST principles, etc. This interview was designed to smoke out folks who don't have a deep understanding of (and passion for) technology.

The sixth interviewer wasn't really an interview, it was the recruiter who coordinated my process. She checked in to see how I was doing, did I have any of the standard process questions, etc. Short conversation.

The seventh (final) interviewer turned out to be the VP who later made me an offer of employment. This was more of a philosophical conversation than an interview, where we discussed Amazon principles and culture. He clearly wanted to ensure I knew what Amazon is like, and to make sure I would be a good cultural fit (a lot of people aren't).

Since the interview lasted all day Amazon gave me a second night in the hotel room, where I was able to shower and grab a few drinks before flying back to Boston at 11pm. By the time I got back in my car on the east coast the next morning the recruiter called with a provisional offer. The VP (final interviewer) called me a few days later with compensation and relocation details. I was given a week to make my decision.

I accepted the offer, and the VP explained that I would have to start by 6 January (less than 2 weeks away, and right after the holiday season) in order to qualify for the yearly stock grant (very important). So, they allowed me to fly out to orientation and then return to gather my things a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate up on salary and signing bonus.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two phone screens. Cleared first one. Didn't move forward after second phone screen. First phone screen was just pure coding excersice. Second phone scree started with talking about resume, current projects, why change blah..blah. Then there were three coding exercises which were quite simple. After that I was thrown a random design question, on which I spent quite a bit of time and as it was open ended, there was no clear answer. Didn't move forward for onsite after second phone screen.

Interview Questions
    • // You are on a team that is creating a program to model stress on furniture.
      // Your task is to model the behavior of furniture under abuse such as
      // excessive weight or application of fire. There exists a prototype that
      // defines the following:

class Furniture {

/**
           * Furniture becomes unusable if enough weight is applied; the
           * algorithm depends on shape of furniture, the strength of material, and
           * the location where the weight is applied
          void applyWeight(double x, double y, double weight, double seconds);

/**
           * Furniture becomes unusable if it is made of wood, and fire is applied
           * long enough; wood will change from brown to black if it is burnt
           * (whether or not the furniture becomes unusable)
          void applyFire(double x, double y, double fireStrength, double seconds);

* possible values: Gray, Brown, Black, etc

class SteelChair extends Furniture {...}
      class WoodTable extends Furniture {...}
      class SteelTable extends Furniture {...}
      class RubbrCouch

// We will need to start adding other furniture like couches, beds, bookcases, and desks, and also new materials such as plastic, cloth, rubber, etc. Try to improve the class design - you are free to modify it however you wish since it is only a prototype.
        View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Telephone interview. Took about 45 minutes. The interviewer seemed really cool. He made me feel easy before starting off. He wasn't looking for a pure finance graduate. I am from MIS and he understood where I stand when it comes to finance.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about what you've done professionally   Answer Question
    • Why amazon and why financial analyst   Answer Question
    • Did you face any difficulty while working with a co worker   View Answer
    • Financial questions on which product to choose. They want a specific answer with proper numbers.   View Answer

Wasn't able to drop courses

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I was called for an onsite day long interview in Seattle. The interview was a group/team coding exercise. In the morning after a tour of the amazon campus in Seattle, we were divided into groups of 3 and given a laptop to work on. You could select an OS and IDE of your preference to work on. We were given a problem which had 3 tasks and each of us had to take on of them. The coding started around 11 in the morning and lasted till 4:30 in the evening. In the duration I had 2 one on one interviews, the 1st one 30 mins into the exercise and the 2nd one an hour before the turning in of our codes.
    The interviews focused on the approach I had decided on to solve the problems. Which data structure, any optimizations I could think of if I had more time.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you decided to use this data structures. What would be the complexities?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

First there are several questions about concept in algorithm, and then two coding questions. There were two questions, both are from leetcode, similar as Path Sum and Path Sum II.

Anonymous Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Round 1:
    I applied online. The online process is easy; however, it's seemingly not that easy to tailor your resume/cover letter to specific reqs. I received my first email from the recruiting coordinator 24 hours after applying. I had an hour-long phone screen with the hiring manager. The interview was a series of behavioral questions. I asked her a few questions, but each time she gently let me know that the recruiting process is "very structured for a reason" and that we "would not be discussing role specifics at this time in the process." The recruiter called back to discuss next steps 3 days later. I declined to continue with the interview process and stated that I'd changed my mind about making a job change at that time.

Round 2:
    I was contacted 3 months later by a recruiting coordinator for a different org; I responded expressing interest and received an invite for a 1 hr phone screen with hiring manager. During the phone screen, the hiring manager let me know the in person interviews would be structured as a "tryout" with team collaboration and development done during the interview and I was looking forward to that format. I received a decision email and invite to a second phone screen interview for the following day with a business partner. I received a decision email and a list of questions, including desired compensation, pending offers, desired start date, etc. I provided general or "to be discussed" responses.

Two days later, the recruiting coordinator sent a "hold the date" invite and a work assignment. I was told to complete and return prior to the interviews.

Five days later, the interview schedule was sent. It was very detailed and included (in all-caps, seriously): "NO LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED. WATER WILL BE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST."

The in-person interviews were held in a windowless conference room with dim lighting and a single spotlight centered over the small round table. Gave off a weird vibe, but good for an ice breaker joke, I suppose.

The first "interview" was with the lead recruiter. He kicked off the conversation saying he would talk compensation in broad terms, orient me to the interview process, and discuss the next steps. He emphasized the importance of the Amazon Leadership Principles and that I would most certainly be asked about them during the interviews. He then described the interview process (policy is no feedback provided post interviews, format is behavioral interviewing, etc.) and asked follow-up questions about the information I had provided. He neglected to talk compensation in broad terms, but I decided I wan't going to remind him.

I interviewed with 7 people total; all but 1 brought very dated, heavy laptops. it must be a "thing" with this group to plaster them with bumper stickers. Each asked me the same intro questions in the same order. How is your day? Do you need a bathroom break? Do you need a water refill? I have my laptop; can I take notes while we interview? I told one person that he could take notes, so long as he made eye contact with me and there was some semblance of two-way dialogue. (He didn't look away from his screen except when asking the next questions.) I told the second person that no; he couldn't take notes. (He laughed, then took notes anyway.) Each interviewer deflected questions I asked them ("we'll get to that at the end") and each left precisely one minute at the end for my questions. (Questions-Plural? Really?!) I found that disingenuous. The day ended with an interviewer who I believe was the "bar-raiser": very openly and repeatedly mentioning a complete lack of understanding of my background and of the role needs at Amazon, but also very happy to talk about positive personal experiences and tenure at the company. That was a good way to the the day.

The recruiter followed up promptly 2 days afterward. Again, i thanked him for his responsiveness. I declined to move forward, this time citing poor role fit, but I did say I'd be open to exploring future opportunities if/when they were.

Pros: Overall, I found the process very well coordinated. While the interviewers remain close-lipped, the recruiters themselves were refreshingly open and direct (and QUICK) with communicating the decisions. I think that's one very good way to live their leadership principle of being "quick w/bias for action".

Cons: The behavioral interviewing is drone-like and textbook (one could prepare for it by simply googling a list of behavioral questions and memorizing answers in STAR format. Use a stopwatch and get your answer down to 30 seconds flat and you're golden). Overall, I found it to be a grossly one-sided process.

Interview Questions
    • NDA, but I will reiterate that questions are not unexpected.   Answer Question

Did not "click" with hiring manager.

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Phone Screen - Discussed my projects, problems solved, typical day, etc
    How will you launch Kindle in a new country

In-house - 4 rounds
    Design Amazon home page
    Describe most complex and challenging project. - architecture, problems, design discussions, etc
    Resolving a conflict
    Managing timelines and deliverables when people do not report to you

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Submit the resume online and got an email about the phone screen next day. Do not have enough time to prepare. One question is not expected but the second call has the easy questions. The second interviewer is very nice. Questions like print odd and even number. Find duplicate number in an array. Wait for two weeks or more and no reply from Amazon. I sent an email about the interview then got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Write the function to decide if two dates are within 30 days or more.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!