Amazon.com Interview Questions

4,944 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon?
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
    2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
    3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
    5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    8. How do you motivate people?
    9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. Name a time you screwed up
    7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
    6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Brand Manager Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

There were two hour long phone screens, followed by eight in person interviews at the offices in Seattle. The questions were all over the board, but most were behavioral questions asking for examples of how you have responded in certain situations before, and drilling in to your examples as far as possible.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall the exact wording, but they want to know how you have used data to make decisions in the past. Once you give them an example, be prepared to go very far in depth with it. They will ask details that might even seem irrelevant, and the questioning process on that one example can last upto twenty minutes.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and was gives two time slots to choose from for scheduling the interview. It was two telephonic calls of 1 hour each. Both were done using a shared doc. The interviewers were very patient and helpful. Was a pleasant experience though I wasn't given an offer for the position.

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

I received an email from the HR describing the recruiting process. The 1st phone interview is supposed to be based on Amazon values only. However, my interviewer decided otherwise and asked me only job-related questions. This was a pure waste of time. In addition, he did not speak really english really well.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through the Amazon.com website and school website, got selected for an on campus interview. Consisted of 2 interviews, each 45 minutes long, and one after the other. The first one had some really challenging questions, while the second one was a breeze. After 2 weeks, got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 strings, how can you determine that one string is only made of characters found in the second string.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 Phone Screens & 7 Onsite Interviews. After the offer the Recruiters were very rude. They think they can get away with it as they do in Seattle. But in Bay area there are lot of options.

Oracle Applications Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone interviews and 1 onsite with 7 interviews back to back. most of them were like norrmal questions. nothing major or unexpected questions. this is very different from what i heard. couldnt see even 1 non-indian. wierd for an american company

not ready to pay more

Software Engineer Interview

Group interview, not really hard, with 2 other candidates. Each got a part of the project to complete individually, last for a day. The first part is group discussion for an hour and interviewers will come and ask question. Then each of the candidates will assign a part of the project and do it all by ourselves. There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.

Interview Questions
    • There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.   Answer Question

Cloud Support Associate Interview

Applied through college, got a call that night from a recruiter and she arranged me for an interview with an engineer. The phone interview took about 1 hour and the interviewer asked a tons of technical questions. Onsite interview was intensive, interviewed by four different people. Didn't do well on basic linux system administration questions. Difference between Raid2 or RAID5, mdadm. Raid and logical volume.

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!