Amazon.com Software Development Engineer/Intern Interview Questions

3.1

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online in January 2014 and received a call to set up an interview within a week. I had two 45 mins technical interviews. I was asked to code on a shared editor to solve some simple problems. Nothing unexpected, questions were like the ones that everyone comes across in technical interviews.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied on college job site. Received an email to pick a date to have two 45 minute interviews at my college career center. First interview had a pretty common question. Second interview was more difficult, not types of question you would see in Cracking the Coding Interview. Overall, the interview was fair. Just practice writing out code on paper or a whiteboard if you have a face-to-face interview and brush up on basic algorithms! I interviewed on Thursday and received an email with offer on Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

2 back to back telephonic interview of duration 45 minutes

Interview Questions

• Given a set of points (x,y) and an integer "n", return n number of points which are close to the origin   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase as such as the position was open to internship

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus. First guy was very unprofessional. Was laughing half the time I was answering his questions. He at one time made a snide remark directly at me, I almost just walked out the room. I first asked him if he was comfortable with the language I chose, but I had to constantly stop and explain to him the simplest syntax and functions. Second guy was very professional. Straight and direct, seemed very robotic. Very disappointed with the interview process. Do not see myself working in this type of environment.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at Campus for SDE Intern position. 2 back to back in-person interviews. Basic concepts of ArrayList, LinkedList. Brief discussion on projects. One thing that I want to change in Amazon's website (any of them). Asked to code all factors of a number, check if a given word is valid in a given dictionary. If not, try jumbling and see if it can be rearranged to a valid word. Basic concepts of heaps, BT, BST etc. Asked to code k-merge algorithm for linked lists, check if BT is a BST. Overall pretty standard questions.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews back to back. Really smooth process and got a response back quickly!

Interview Questions

• Sometimes the interviewer would not talk, but it is to let you do all the talking.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Relatively easy questions related to data structures, algorithms, OOP concepts as mentioned in the recruiter's email. Nothing too surprisingly or out of the ordinary.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Madison, WI) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online in January and after 2 month when Amazon hosted a career fair on our campus, got selected for back to back 90 mins interview. 45 mins with each interviewer. Questions are standard questions. If you do problems on UVA online judge, Topcoder or Hackerrank regularly, these type of interview questions should be fairly straightforward to answer. Also, as many other big tech companies, just solving the problem is not enough. It's also important that you make sure your thought can be understood by others. Explaining how you come up with a solution with clarity is much more important that just solving all of the problems without saying how you did it. There are four questions. 1 focus on math, 1 on building trees, 1 on linkedlist and 1 on string manipulation As always, make sure you also understand the complexity and performance of you solution.

Negotiation

No negotiation. But I think the final offer (final salary) also depends on your performance during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Buffalo, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Had applied online on Feb 1st, interviewed on Feb 13th. Had two 45 minutes telephone interviews. I did not get a mail for almost 3 weeks at which point I emailed them asking for status, they replied a day later saying they'll get back to me soon and by the end of that day I got an acceptance mail.

Interview Questions

• The questions were straight forward, a linked list question, a string question and an algorithm question, no surprises just standard questions. The first interviewer had me write code in C++, the second one said he did not care very much about syntax.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because it was an intern position and the compensation was good anyway.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview. Decision in 2.5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack that supports push, pop and mode(the one from statistics) operation. Gave an O(log n ) push and pop and O(1) mode operation.Another good question was implement atoi function. I assumed it as base 10 but was asked to support from binary to any base numbers(even base 50).   2 Answers