Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
4,681 candidate interviews

Policy Interview

Policy

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – I reached out to an internal recruiter who suggested that I apply for a particular position. I went through two rounds of interviews via phone because I am located in NYC, and everyone else in Seattle. The first round was with the hiring manager who asked me a series of pretty tough questions. The focus of many of these questions was around the customer and how I have gone above and beyond for the customer. I was not applying for a customer focused role, but Amazon's focus is always the customer. They also asked me about my work style, how I prioritize projects, how I influence others to get things done. They also left me ample time to ask my own questions (so make sure you have plenty handy).

At the end of the second interview, I had a sense that it was not going to be a right fit. I asked about travel (which there would be plenty of, considering the respective locations).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for the customer?   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Planner

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2009.

Interview Details – Very long interview process. Starts with several different phone interviews then the in person interview. The in person interview was 9 hours long. 1 hour each with 9 different people. They have laptops with HR provided questions. They read them and type your answer into the laptop. Mostly behavioral questions. Big focus on negatives...."tell me a time when a presentation did not go your way?".

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is brutal, it was 12 ppl in one day. Some two at a time. Every interviewer is assigned a competency so each interview you answer a set of questions based on that competency.

Interview Questions

• A sample of a project was given and I was to break down step by step how I would handle it, organize it and what programs I would use.   Answer Question
  • Lots of hypothetical that were followed by ton of follow up questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary is compatitive so no negotiation was necessary.

Associate Buyer Interview

Associate Buyer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2008.

Interview Details – Phone call from recruiter followed by phone interview from hiring manager. Then 6 one-on-one interviews in 1 day at corporate office, followed by offer the next week.

Interview Question – What is the mathematical equation for computing inventory turns?   View Answers (2)

Java Software Developer Interview

Java Software Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – Job advertised on the internet, applied for online, fairly swift communications by email, then by telephone with assistants, a technical telephone interview scheduled with a technical person. The demeanor of all people at Amazon.com was excellent and friendly. The technical person was no-nonsense and did not waste time. There was however no latitude for hiring a person who may not have excellent programming skills in Java but may be useful in the long run even as a Java programmer as part of a team, but more to the point, would become very useful to Amazon.com in other technical capacities working within the Java Developers Team and beyond.

Interview Question – Technical Question: Given the following list of integers, how would you sort it the most efficiently and weed out duplicates at the same time?   View Answer

Software Development Engineering Intern Interview

Software Development Engineering Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Question – Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – The process before the actual interview was great. Excellent communication and preparation tips, materials and concepts to review first were offered. The interview itself was exactly as expected, a total of 4 hours spent with 4 people for 1 hour each. A variety of topics discussed in varying detail. Architecture was the most prevalent theme in the discussions along with handling high volumes. Some coding questions, but not much. Focus was on architecture and whiteboard the offered designs.
The response was very quick, but no additional feedback was ever provided. All the great communication before hand was ruined after the fact. I don't mind a rejection but after spending 4 hours in discussions at least give me one specific detail. Calls were maid and emails sent and no response to any of them. Before the interview, nothing went more than 24 hours without a response or follow up.

Interview Question – Drawing the system architecture on the whiteboard of a very vague scenario. I know it is expected to see how you approach a problem and what questions you ask, but it seemed the scenarios lacked detail in some cases, not all.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a 2 step phone screen followed by an in-person grilling session. One of the phone screens was technical while the other was more behavioral.

The all day interview consisted of back-to-back-to-back 45 minutes sessions from 10am through lunch till about 5:30pm (there was some scheduling snafu which gave me a little bit of a breather in the middle). Several portions were technical while others were behavioral. I met with team members, management as well as business customers. I followed the tips someone else posted about identifying the bar-raiser early in the interview (by asking "What do you do at Amazon?" My writing will not do justice. Please read that excellent and important post elsewhere). The bar-raiser was definitely the toughest portion of the interview.

The recruiter did a great job of followup and called back to give me an offer. I was almost stunned given my performance with the bar-raiser. After a little bit of negotiation, I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Given two numbers n and m, divide n by m without using the division operator. Return both the integer answer as well as the remainder.   View Answers (5)
  • 1. Given a depth d, build a complete tree of depth d.
    2. How would you test it?
    3. Why did you select your particular solution approach?
    4. What level of programmer could be expected to code this?
      View Answers (2)
  • Let's say you inherit a system that no one is supporting but your team needs to use to deliver.
    1. How would you manage the development and delivery of your product?
    2. What if you need another team's help? How do you get their attention?
    3. What if this other team is stressed with their own delivery?
    4. What if you have a tight timeline but the relevant resources are in different parts of the org?
      Answer Question
  • How do you hire people? (This was asked multiple times. I almost felt that I must be messing up my answers). My answer led to many different interview paths.   Answer Question
  • What do you think is your biggest contribution to Amazon.com?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter made a great first offer. Amazon apparently has lower salaries and back-loaded stock vesting which they make up with great signing bonuses. Considering that they have about 1900 positions open in Seattle alone, I suspect they will offer great packages. After a little bit of negotiation I accepted the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – Amazon.com saw my profile on linkedin, so I was contacted by them for an interview request. I accepted the interview request. I was given a specific date and time for interview. They interviewed me and after five days, I got their decision. I was declined.

Interview Question – There is a special linked list where each node have two pointers, one pointer for next node and one pointer for randomly chosen node. Create a deep copy of this list.   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – I was declined

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Iaşi (Romania)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

Interview Details – at least 3 technical interviews and HR and/or manager interview.
You need to be proficient in 1 object oriented language , know algorithms and data structures at medium level and have great problem solving abilities.

Interview Question – how would you design a part of lucene?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you get an offer from the HR stuff. You can then try to negociate

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!