Amazon.com Interview Questions

4,886 Interview Reviews

3.3

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2009.

I did several rounds of phone interviews with multiple people in the department. The interviews were very substantive in that the interviewers really probed on how I would handle specific negotiation issues. The process may be off-putting to some, though I found it very interesting and informative. My advice to future candidates is to be prepared to reveal/discuss your thought process; the situations presented did not have right answers but certainly had wrong answers. I also did a substantive skills test and then was asked about my thinking regarding my responses to the test.

At the end, I cut off the interview process because I decided I wasn't ready to leave my current position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a business client that's insisting on moving forward with a product release that you know is fraught with legal risk?   View Answer
    • How would you handle a vendor that refuses to indemnify your company for X, Y, and Z?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Direct on-site interview with Amazon. A live project to be implemented within the end of the day.
    A couple of Amazon engineers were assigned to go through the process and for 1:1 interview based on the progress with the assigned project.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one Project task assigned, no other questions were asked   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter. I went through two 1-hour phone interviews and then went in for a full day interview session which starts with a 1-hour presentation and continues with 1 on 1 interviews the rest of the day. It was the most difficult interview process I had ever gone through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when two seemingly unrelated situations converged to create one larger problem on a project. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

I applied online and after a couple of weeks was scheduled a phone interview. Knowing someone who works in the company also helps you expedite the waiting time - I knew a couple of peers from University who had an internship there and recommended me to their manager.

The phone interview was about 30 minutes long, and was intense. Apart from the company structure and mission, you are expected to be knowledgeable of basic finance. The person will introduce themselves, explain the interview process, and proceed with the questions. I was asked a series of questions regarding my personal motivation to have this position, my education background in finance and my skill set for the position. They will ask you some pretty tough questions to see how your mind works, and how you solve problems so be prepared for "what if?" questions.

Interview Questions
    • MBA level business case question.
      I cannot remember what the question was word for word, but I could tell even if I had the wrong answer, they want to know how you would solve or approach the problem/task at hand.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a technical phone interview. The interview started with general software engineering questions about polymorphism, inheritance, encapsulation, etc. I then had some questions on sorting algorithms and the differences between them and their run time in terms of big O notation. We then proceeded to the live coding portion of the interview using Collabedit. I was asked to implement a binary search tree for an array of integers and talk about the run time of binary search tree.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you failed at work?
      When did you develop a product that didn't work?

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

The recruiters that I talked to were so great and I was surprised I heard back from them, the HR leader that I spoke to was a different story. After the recruiter confirmed that the phone interview would be at 3:30, I didn't get called until 4:30. She asked me to explain my current work situation and in that discussion I explained to her why I was hoping to leave the company, and she said that she understood and it was time for the interview questions now, her first question was why do I want to leave the company... 15 minutes in, she apologizes and puts me on hold for another call and then says she has to go and that we could resume the interview the next day. The questions she asked were so horribly stupid I couldn't wait to get off the phone, I completely checked out and wasn't surprised to hear that I didn't get the position. I couldn't be happier, I wouldn't be able to handle working for somebody like that

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you lost somebody's trust at work and had to gain it back   View Answer

Global Payments Systems Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by an internal Amazon recruiter looking for candidates to join the Global Payments Systems development team in Seattle. The recruiter stated that she was "quite impressed with [my] career to this point," which was very promising as I've had eCommerce experience in the past.

I then came to GlassDoor.com to look to see what kind of experiences others have had, salary ranges, etc. That is when I found that Amazon likes to ask questions typically found only in college classrooms. I began to feverishly brush up on the implementation of algorithms (many of which I hadn't used or coded at a low-level in about 12 years). I had to do this all in a short time period as my phone screen was the day after initial contact as they were moving forward with scheduled days for in person interviews only a few days later.

I did not get an offer as I assume I didn't nail the live coding portion of the interview. I came very close to implementing the tree algorithm that was asked with only a slight misstep. That was the only actual coding part. Then it was a series of "what would you do to implement..." type of questions. These were then followed up with "do you know the name of the algorithm you're describing?" No, I didn't. I was able to describe how to get it done but didn't know the textbook answer.

It is also important to note that I did not Google answers for the coding or technical questions during the phone screen. I suppose I could have but that likely would have just put off even more textbook questions during an in person interview that might have been met with blank stares. Any quality developer will use the web as the great reference tool that it is while on the job. Maybe I made a mistake by not doing it during the phone screen. I'll never know, I guess.

Overall, the vibe and energy from the people at Amazon was great. I bet they're a great company to work for. The phone screen interviewer, however, while very polite, was very soft spoken and had a pretty thick Indian accent. I had to ask him to repeat many, many things.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you review your college textbooks for how to implement low level algorithms (quick sort, in order tree traversal, etc). Your past and current job experience and work is worthless in an interview as it is quickly glossed over and things go technical quickly.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

It was a horrible interview. The worst I've ever had. I had a lady who spoke with a very thick accent. I understand equal opportunity, but if they can't speak clearly, they shouldn't do phone interviews.

I've seen a lot of bad press about amazons treatment of workers, saying they work their employees till they quit. Heck they even pay you to quit now. All I know is they have asked for interviews 3 other times in the 2 years since this interview.

Interview Questions
    • Essentially I was asked to "speak out code" specifically it was a very odd problem involving a binary search with a weird twist. A binary search isn't a difficult problem, the weirdism they added made it hard. Long story short, I got a correct answer, but the recruiter not understanding english very well did not think I did. (I later confirmed with many senior engineers who said yes I had a correct solution)
      I don't know what possessed them to have a tech interview without a google doc, or simply email. Speaking out code is as stupid as writing out code in college exams on paper.

Brand Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Met recruiter at college career fair.

The first round was a phone interview, one-on-one. Questions included: "You have 2 minutes to give me two strengths and two weaknesses. Go." He also gave me a mini-case. It was not especially difficult, and he gave me some help when I got stuck. I think it was partially a stress test because he was very pushy and always wanted us to move faster, and he ended the interview very abruptly. I nearly had to yell at the end to get his information before he ended the call.

Amazon then flew me to Seattle for an all-day interview session. Most of the interviewing consisted of group case presentations (2), but there was also an individual written test. I was not a business major, and it was very difficult. It was the organic chemistry of the day - the weed-out course.

I got an email within 3 days that told me I had not gotten the job.

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!