Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2007.

Amazon.com has a rigorous interview process. The whole process consisted of 3 phone interviews, where we went over things like path mtu discovery and the tcp state transition diagram. The in-person interview performed onsite in Seattle was rigorous and was partially a panel interview process, and partially one-on-one. The panel consisted of more TCP questions and network management/troubleshooting questions. I got the feeling that they did a lot of TCP debugging.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the various transitions encompassed in the TCP state transition diagram.   Answer Question
    • Describe the path-mtu discovery algorithm.   Answer Question

Amazon seems like a great company to work for, I declined it because I was interviewing and eventually accepted an offer from another company.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2009.

I did several rounds of phone interviews with multiple people in the department. The interviews were very substantive in that the interviewers really probed on how I would handle specific negotiation issues. The process may be off-putting to some, though I found it very interesting and informative. My advice to future candidates is to be prepared to reveal/discuss your thought process; the situations presented did not have right answers but certainly had wrong answers. I also did a substantive skills test and then was asked about my thinking regarding my responses to the test.

At the end, I cut off the interview process because I decided I wasn't ready to leave my current position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a business client that's insisting on moving forward with a product release that you know is fraught with legal risk?   View Answer
    • How would you handle a vendor that refuses to indemnify your company for X, Y, and Z?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2007.

The interview at Amazon works as follows. You'll be contacted at some point by a recruiter and you'll go over some general stuff. If you don't say anything disqualifying, they'll schedule a phone screen for you. If this is for a technical position, the phone screen will involve some problem solving, some coding, and maybe even some design work.

Following that first phone screen, if you pass (sometimes even if you didn't) you'll be asked to go though a second phone screen. If you do well on this, then you'll be asked to fly out to Seattle for an in person interview. Let me first say that the phone screen questions are far easier than the questions you'll be asked in person, so don't get a false sense of confidence.

Amazon.com will fly you out to Seattle on their dime and put you up in a very nice room in a nice hotel.

On the day of your interview you sit in a room with a white board as 5-7 people rotate through the room giving you 45minute to 1 hour interview sessions. There will be very few behavioral questions, it will most likely be dominated by coding on a white board.

The people that interview you will then confer, usually within a day or two, and make a decision as to whether Amazon will extend an offer. The whole process usually moved fairly quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Determine whether the binary representation of a number if a palindrome or not, code it on a white board.   View Answers (8)
    The initial offers are generally constructed to be very fair. The relocation packages are generous as are the signing bonuses and the salary. There's probably a little bit of room to negotiate certain things, but as far as large moves in base salary or signing bonus, probably not.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2008.

The phone interview I had at Amazon was unlike any other I've had. First off, the company has employees who have very strong accents conduct phone interviews. I had to ask the interviewer to repeat what he said several times. The questions themselves were hard enough and not fully understanding the person made it even tougher. That appearently put him in a bad mood and he became rude to me over the phone and spoke in a very unprofessional manner.

Interview Questions
    • The data structure questions were difficult as they asked very low level details on hashes and such.   View Answer

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2008.

After a phone screen, I had an all day interview. Everyone was very polite, and seemed to really enjoy working there. I left at the end of the day thinking it went well, but a few days later, I received a "thanks but no thanks" email. I am not exactly sure why, because the position I was applying for wasn't filled. The culture seemed very down to earth, and they mentioned more than once that they don't have a lot of "frills". Overall, seemed like a pretty good atmosphere.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2007.

Had 2 phone interviews with techies which is Amazon standard. Passing 1 gets u the next phone interview & and passing the second gets u to Amazon campus. On site interview is quite intense and they pretty much look for superstars by having what is termed as bar raisers.

Interview Questions
    • Sort the first 100 numbers from a incoming input stream of milions of numbers.   View Answers (2)

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2009.

The interview process started with roundsof phone interviews. First came a general interview from someone in Dublin, Ireland. There were the standard programming/intelligence questions, followed up by language specific questions. Next was a second round of intervoews where OS/Hardware.networking questions were asked. Then there was another phone intervoew where I was asked what if problem solving questions. In all, there were 5 phone interviews, before they flew me in for a day long interview process with about 8 people -- all these interviews, as well as the 5 phone interviews, were an hour long. The interview questions were often on-trivial, but usually fun. I mostly flunked on the kernel virtual memory questions I only knew two of the buits in the virtual memory page table, and I was weak on kernel process data structures.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you have been asked to setup a new company that was going to do what netflix does. How would you go about setting up the network/databases/software?   Answer Question
    Salary, and the ability to continue to work on free software on my own dime.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2009.

i got an email in hte month of november for a phone screen interview but i was busy back then.......so i had to schedule interview in december. this was my first interview and therefore dint perform well. but, i have an idea regarding the area i need to to brush up my skills at.

Product Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

Applied through school, although they have postings for the same position on the company website. The interview was very rigorous. A lot of case questions mixed in with some behavioral. The interviewers were very aggressive, pushing back on anything said.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your boss and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2009.

I only went through 2 of the 3 phone interviews. You really need to know your Big-O notation. Understand how a HashMap works. You'l have to write code down on paper and read it back to them over the phone. I had a few easy questions on threading, a question on how I would architect a web application for a car rental company (what would the app do? which objects would we have? I think he wanted to see if I knew what a DAO was, or maybe if I understood MVC).

Interview Questions
    • I had a difficult question about a cuboid composed of smaller cubes. How many cubes are there where exactly two faces of the cube are exposed?   View Answers (4)

Didn't want to move to Seattle. I also didn't care for the number of hours they work (50 - 60 per week on average)