Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
4,776 candidate interviews

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interviews followed by a one-day on-site interview. Total process took around 4+ weeks. Amazon is efficient in arranging interviews. The hiring decisions are quite random though. The interviewers asked a lot questions about your suggestions on modeling and methodologies in dealing with various specific projects undergoing at Amazon.

Interview Question – Most questions are relatively open. Some of the interviewers are nice enough to let you know when your answers are wrong and give you hints. The most unexpected question came during the lunch when the manager tossed a system design question while I was eating.   Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Senior Human Resources Business Partner

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – Received an e-mail from recruiting after being referred internally. There were many e-mails back sand forth to schedule a time, but once the process started it was great. Communication from recruiting was smooth and transparent. I had two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews (with just one person) and then a full day of interviews with 6 people total.

Interview Question – I was surprised that (after being told by recruiting it would not be this way) every single person basically asked me the exact same 2-3 questions, which were: "tell me about a time when you used data to support a decision", "Tell me about a time when you took an unpopular stance", and "tell me about a time when something you did made a big impact on the company".   Answer Question

Customer Service Experience Interview

Customer Service Experience

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied on Amazon's jobs site for this intern position in the morning and received an offer by e-mail from Human Resources in the evening. Contingent on my successful completion of a background check, of course. The recruiter was very professional. This was the easiest application process that I have ever gone through.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Question – they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Amazon for a Summer Internship. The process took less than 3 weeks. I had two back-to-back 45 minute phone-interviews scheduled. Within a week I was informed of the decision.
The questions were of average difficulty. They were mostly looking for strong Computer Science fundamentals. The first interviewer was interested in details of one of my projects. He then moved on to asking me a few fundamental questions about inheritance. The coding problem involved merging two unsorted strings. The interviewer was also interested in questioning me on how the code would scale if the strings grow to large.

The second interview was more grilling, the interviewer gave me a situation where a web server not performing as expected and wanted me to dive deep into deciphering what all could have gone wrong. I was then asked to implement 'toString' Java API.

Interview Question – None. All questions were of average difficulty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not given an option to choose a team unlike my other batchmates who got in through college career fair.

Seller Support Associate Interview

Seller Support Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the career website, and within that same day I was contacted by hr. They then sent me a link to take a skills/personality test which lasted about an hour. A lot of the questions were very customer service focused. After completing the test, it took about another day or so for them to notify me that I passed the assessment and then they invited me for a face to face interview. Hr then emailed details of the interview, information on the company, and helpful tips. The interview was then scheduled for the following week. When I arrived for the interview, I was met by hr and they had explained what to expect for the interview process and whether I had any questions. I then met with the supervisor and then the manager, and each meeting lasted about 30 minutes. A lot of the interview questions were very customer service oriented, and they wanted to hear about your work experiences and how you dealt with certain situations. Two days after the interview, I was then contacted by hr and was offered a position :)

Interview Question – Overall, the questions were very basic. They emphasize how Amazon is very customer-centric, so they want to hear your customer service experience and how you've dealt with difficult situations, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation phase. If selected for a face to face interview, hr explains benefits and pay rate prior to.

Very Difficult Interview

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Question – When was a time that you failed at work?
When did you develop a product that didn't work?
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer I Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process went by rather quickly. I submitted an application and I heard back within a week about setting up two 45-minute phone interviews that would be technical in nature. During the first interview, I was asked to write a few small programs. For example, one of the programs I was asked to write was a simple java program that would take in a base integer and an exponent and would calculate the exponentiation.The interviewer was greatly interested in how and where I could improve my initial write-up of the program to handle edge cases and non-standard inputs.

Interview Question – I was really taken off guard by the depth of which my last interviewer went into with questions related to algorithms. The questions seemed to be less about design and best practices and more about theory. Needless to say I wasn't prepared and this part didn't go so well.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Be prepared for a very bizarre interview. They will ask you many form questions, with no real connection or proper communication. I met with 5 people on the team, one of which who was possible the meanest person I have ever met and seemed to have absolutely no interest in being there.

Interview Question – While I was interviewing for a post sales position, many questions were about sales specifically. I think the most unexpected question though, was when I was asked to describe something technical that had nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had heard Amazon had a habit of overworking employees, and I had better offers. I was also VERY put off by the final interviewer's attitude and how dismissive they were.

Business Intelligence Engineer Interview

Business Intelligence Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Was called for a phone interview after submitting an online application. First phone interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. Not very difficult and then they called for a second phone interview which was a deeper technical assessment with SQL and past ETL experience. Following this, the full interview loop was a mix of technical interviews with the team and client interviews, mostly about how you would handle difficult situations.

Interview Question – In your experience, how have you navigated multiple deadlines and conflicting expectations? How did you handle not meeting that expectation and the criticism that came with it?   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!