Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
4,605 candidate interviews

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Same experience as everyone else on glassdoor. Two online coding tests. Five in person 45 min interviews in one day. Lots of whiteboard coding and design. Lots of behavioral questions. They try to get you to badmouth previous managers and badmouth yourself with uniquely worded questions. Recognise these for what they are and respond appropriately.

Very Difficult Interview

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
San Bernardino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – The process is very structured. It is a POD setting with managers from all over the network participating. You may or may not be meeting with the people that you will eventually work with. You will be in a room with other candidates, who will be interviewing at the same time.

Interview Question – You will be expected to provide detailed summaries of how you have solved problems in the past. You will be expected to solve a series of math problems.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Corporate Counsel Interview

Corporate Counsel
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – You have a general questionnaire, 2 or 3 phone interviews, a written exercise, and then an on-site interview with about 6 people (usually relatively high up interviewers). Interviews are focused on hypothetical questions and behavioral interview questions, with an emphasis placed on the Amazon leadership principles.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you used your judgment and you were wrong.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online and forgot about it, and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. I had two phone interviews about three weeks part. Each one was about an hour and involved technical questions. I did pretty terrible on both of them due to nervousness.

Shortly after (< 1 week) I was invited for onsite interviews. I had 5 interviews + lunch, with a mix of technical and behavioral questions. The questions were typical algorithm/data structures questions, so definitely prepare on those beforehand. The next day I got an email letting me know that they would be extending an offer. I had interviewed at a couple of other places previously which really helped my confidence. Definitely do that if possible.

Interview Question – A lot of behavioral questions, have some experiences memorized so you're not making it up as you go along.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the base salary a little, but they wouldn't budge very much.

Quality Assurance Engineer I Interview

Quality Assurance Engineer I
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied through the employee referral program. The recruiter contacted me to schedule an interview with a hiring manager. The interview consisted of basic technical interview. I was asked to write a method that checks for a palindrome.

Interview Question – How would you test the login page of Amazon website?   Answer Question

Lead Fulfillemt Associate Interview

Lead Fulfillemt Associate
Moreno Valley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online in May 2014 followed by a phone interview. the phone interview asks basic questions on safety and theft what would you do type questions, the next step is an in person interview 3 weeks after the phone interview. the in person begins with a group setting being read 2 scenario after which your timed response is written down and next is the in person interview with two supervisors general questions about education, work history, followed by scenario role playing and than detailed behavioral analysis questions phrased like tell me about a time. two weeks later receive call to come back in where your are given a contingent offer letter and submit to mouth swab drug test. next two weeks are waiting for test and background results followed by email with job offer.

Interview Question – tell us about a time you've faced a moral decision   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation willing to be a bit flexible with schedule but for the most part you are told a schedule

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted to do an initial interview. The interview process was all done online, on a 3rd party website where I had to solve three problems. They asked three questions in regards to manipulating data structures. I was required to solve the problems in the most optimal manner, as well as provide a reasoning on why I solved it the way I did, as well as explain in detail the time complexity.

Interview Question – Explain in derail the time complexity of all solutions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very good communication. Had interview at school's career centre.

Two interviewers in total, one person each time about 30~45 minutes. Both friendly and after some general questions the technical part started. First one is reversing a linked-list. The second person asks questions regarding multiple file's management and merging problems.

Got back after a weeks and rejected me.

Interview Question – Reverse the linked-list and check for edge cases   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Amazon, MT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview took about half day, involved five recruiters (most of them are just employees at Amazon). Each of them has his/her own focus. Pretty much all types of questions were involved, such as personal introduction, motivation, strength/weakness, future plan, scenario questions, finance specific questions (corporation evaluation, stock, fomular..etc)

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions, its just whether your answer satisfies them   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Support Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was contacted out of the blue by a recruiter at Amazon stating that they thought I'd be a good fit for one of the higher ranking Support Engineer positions. I sent them an updated resume and it took just shy of two weeks to finalize travel plans.

I met with four people. It wasn't clear what their roles were within the organization, though two appeared to be mid level developers, and the others was were more senior resources on the technical management side of things.

One developer had me write some code to solve a particular problem and worked with me to find some of the flaws in my approach. While not perfect, I thought the solution was pretty close to correct, with only minor flaws that could be caught if I had a chance to debug it.

The other developer asked me to do some data modeling and write the corresponding code. I got the feeling that he didn't like my solution though I'm certain that it was 90+% correct.

The first senior manager I met with seemed rather aloof and wasn't terribly engaged. He asked me a few high level questions about my experience and wanted me to do a brain teaser. After giving me a couple vague hints, I didn't see the solution, and was stumped, so we moved on. In short, he did not ask me anything technical nor much about past experience. Very strange.

The other senior manager was totally different. He was very engaged and he asked me about my background, projects I worked on, how I dealt with certain situations, and we talked about some systemic problems and how I would address them. I thought that interview went really well and played to my strengths.

A week later, I got the news that they were not extending an offer. I was disappointed, but not entirely surprised. My guess is that it wasn't due to the interviews, but due to my level of experience and salary range.

After discussing the role in person, it became clear that it's really more of a junior/entry-level position. Folks apparently try to move from Support to SDE roles within a year or two.

Interview Question – I signed an NDA, so I can't go into specifics except to say to look at what others have said on the interwebs and you'll have a good idea of what to expect.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com interview questions and advice. All 4,605 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.