Amazon.com

Updated Dec 21, 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

There are two 45 minutes interviews with two interviewers. Both of the interviews are technical with current Amazon software engineers. I would say that 80% of the time in the interview is writing algorithm codes on a whiteboard. All questions are algorithm questions and surprisingly no data structure questions or OO questions. The difficulty is average but you should be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • How to recursively change the color of the pixels around a certain pixel?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Filled out an application online and received a phone call from a recruiter less than a week later for a phone screening. After the phone interview I was scheduled for an on-site tour and interview at one of their fulfillment centers.

They do have a variety of forms to fill out and material to read before attending the tour and interview. I was required to sign an NDA but I can say that there is a math problem very similar in another review here. I interviewed with an HR manager, a veteran area manager, and a fairly new area manager. The HR Manager and veteran area manager both seemed to have a very arrogant and elitist attitude. The new area manager was a pretty nice guy and was very honest about having to work 70-90 hour work weeks at certain points during the season. They offer an excellent starting salary but this particular position looks like a textbook definition of what 'golden handcuffs' should be.

I was told at every step of the interview process by the recruiter that I would be informed of their decision even if it meant I was not extended an offer of employment. I never heard anything back from them which sincerely surprised me about a company I would have expected much more professionalism out of.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me about the phrasing of something in my resume. Very condescendingly too I might add.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and through my university's career portal. I heard back in a week . I had 2 phone interviews and after that I was flown to Seattle to attend a 6 hour hackathon like on-site interview. It was really cool. I got to work at a test code of the team I was being interviewed for.

Got a better job!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Initial Communication - One of their technical recruiters messaged me on LinkedIn expressing an interest in my skills. I ignored it. A couple months went by, and I decided looking for other career opportunities would be a good thing. I applied online for their Austin, TX positions. I also found a few of their technical recruiters on LinkedIn and messaged them.

I got a phone call from one of their technical recruiters. She was really nice and excited to talk to me. There were a couple questions about my work experience mostly to make sure that I was who I claimed I was on paper. The next step was a timed test online that they would record in real time. She also gave me a small document that was prep for the test listing various topics that the test would include. She also claimed 'do not exceed one hour' on the timed test.

To prepare for the test, I recommend googling for Amazon Test questions. They won't be exact, but you'll get in the habit of answering questions fast. The test was composed of three questions. 1) Write a series of classes for a graphics API. 2) Implement a breadth first traversal of some tree. 3) Implement a method for the fibonacci sequence.

Then a couple phone calls and email exchanges. "You Passed, we love you!". The next step is an onsite interview that lasts 2-4 hours.

The onsite interview consisted of meeting with pairs of people. One of them was the lead interviewer, the other was someone who had started within the last six months and was there more to take notes. The first group seemed unhappy to be there at all. It didn't matter what I said. It was straight to the white board for more technical tests. This group asked questions about implementing a bit map editor. They purposely would ask vague questions with the expectation that you will ask them questions to figure out what they are really wanting answered. They would ask questions about big O notation. They would ask questions about memory usage. The next group was similar.

I asked each of the groups if they would be my actual coworkers. The answer was no across the board. I did want to meet whom I would actually be working with. The people I met in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Toward the end of one of the groups, I thought of a better implementation to a question I answered. They responded, "We're out of time". They definitely had the attitude of "People apply here everyday, Anyone is replaceable, No one is unique"

I'm guessing I didn't pass their in-person technical test, but I wasn't too crazy about working with them either.

Interview Questions
    • For a bitmap editor, given an x,y location and a color, write a series of methods for a Fill operation like the paint bucket, except only change the color of the outer boundary of what would be filled.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Four rounds in total. Every rounds was consist of one behavior question and one technical algorithm questions. The algorithm questions included linkedlist, hashmap and graph search. Every interviewee talked a lot about what they do in their teams.

Interview Questions
    • Not exactly as the problems I prepared before the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Amazon and participated in three phone screens. After the third phone interview, I was invited to the interview loop in Luxembourg. The interview process at Amazon is long, but I thoroughly enjoyed each interview. Before my first interview, I was told that I should have studied the Amazon Leadership Principles prior to the interview (I had no idea what that meant). Fortunately I made it through the first interview without any issues, so I went to a nearby restaurant (that had wifi) and looked up the Amazon Leadership Principles. Every question from each interview was based on the Leadership Principles. Every interviewer wanted me to answer their questions with a real-life example of how I lived/reacted to that specific question. Just make sure that you have plenty of examples from your work experience to relate to their questions. The best way to prepare for the interview is to study your resume and think of as many stories or experiences that help define your resume.

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

The interview process was initiated with a Phone screen. The phone screen was with a person with heavy accent. He only asked a single question related to testing. He did not seem very interested or involved in the interview.

Investigation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Applied several times over a 6 month period, received an email months later regarding general questions about my availability. Had first phone interview, in two languages because it was a bilingual position. General questions about previous positions such as leadership skills and problem solving. Moved on to in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a supervisor that you have had a conflict with and how the conflict was resolved.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on indeed.com got email from a recruiter that asked a few questions why do you want to change jobs etc. next I received a email stating they wanted to have phone interview. Once I had the phone interview got an email from the recruiter saying they were interested in the face to face interview. I accepted went to the interview and was asks behavioral questions which I don't think is a very fair way of interviewing but that's they're method. Once the interview was done I was escorted out by hr manager. She said they would call because they were looking to fill immediately. Later that day I logged into my amazon profile and found out that I was not selected for the position although I had more than the experience for it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you strongly disagreed with your manager on something that was really important to the company. What was it about and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Program Manager At Amazon Germany Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Amazon's process is totally process oriented and fast. A recruiter will contact you within two weeks after you apply. Then follow two phone interview (unless you fail the first one) and a personal interview at their office. These are long with 5-8 Amazon peers, your hiring manager, and one person from a different department to check if you have the Amazon "gene".

Interview Questions
    • None, really. They absolutely follow STAR style questions as explained on their careers website.   Answer Question