Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Industrial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Amazon had the same position in 4-5 different locations. They said, I would get to choose a location if selected. The phone interview was taken by an engineer who was located in a location which was not even in that 4-5 location list. Personal interview was a real joke. I thought I would be sent to at least one of the locations out of those 5 locations but instead I was sent to Seattle. The director called and was trying to ask situation based questions. But the problem was, he asked same question but just in different statements. I kept thinking in my mind, why is he asking same questions again and again? The personal interview was on the same day. I was hoping to be interviewed by engineers related to my job. I was interviewed by 3 people and none of them were related to my job. Everybody kept asking situation and case based questions in which I did pretty good. But nobody asked me any questions about my experience, my skills and education. Even I if I was selected after the personal interview in Seattle, I would have thought if I should be taking the offer as I was never given a tour of the place where I would be actually working. I was interviewed again after few months for a similar position. This time the Manager who called me for the phone interview was carrying someone else's resume.(Nothing unusual to expect from Amazon). This person was not friendly at all. Just asked one question and nothing else. I would never apply to this company again. I agree the company is huge but the people who take interviews have no idea what they are doing. I hope they change their interview process and be more skill set specific rather than getting confused and asking weird questions just for the sake of processing the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if your colleague disagrees your idea?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone call with hiring manager. Next a phone call with someone on the team ( which they said was just a "day in the life of the job" but turned into a behavioral interview ) Brought onsite for 9am to 2pm interview schedule. 45 min PowerPoint presentation in front of 7 people involved. Very robotic, very cold, interrogation type of interviews. Can't ask any personal questions, and they don't care about you as a person just as long as you meet their 14 leadership principles. Shuffled from one person to the next like you are on an assembly line. If you don't get an offer they send you an automated, generic email and will not tell you what you did well or failed at.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when, etc.... Ask you the same question 3 different ways   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

Possibly the easiest interview I have been to. I walked into their third party staffing company, Integrity Staffing, and followed six steps. I signed in and filled out forms on computers. Then I sat down and watched a video about what to expect working in a warehouse. I waited to take my picture for a badge then I talked to someone one on one regarding the position and pay. She told me they would call back whenever they needed people.

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Irvine, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very typical for Amazon. Initial contact by a recruiter. Set up a phone interview with the Hiring Manager. The day after the phone interview, I received an invite for an onsite loop. I was somewhat surprised as I had heard you usually have two phone interviews before an onsite. I did some research and saw that you either need two "incline" or one "strongly incline" to continue to the next step before receiving an invitation for an onsite interview. Perhaps that's why I only had the one phone interview. The logistics for travel from Seattle to Irvine, CA was fantastic. All reservations were made by Amazon and everything went as planned. Took cab to hotel which was within walking distance to the interview. After the interview, went back to hotel to retrieve luggage and took cab to airport. Very easy and the recruiting coordinator was there every step of the way to make sure it went smoothly. Interview itself was also as expected. First three interviews were the standard behavioral style - "Tell me about a time when...". The best advice is to be extremely familiar with the Leadership Principles and have multiple examples using the STAR template. After the first three interviews, Amazon provided a lunch buddy and we walked to a local restaurant. Following lunch, I returned to Amazon for the last two interviews which were more technical in nature. There was no coding involved, but they were clearly looking for experience and ability leading software development efforts and I did not have much experience in that specific area. They were still extremely professional and friendly. The whole experience was very pleasant. Three days after the interview I received a call from the recruiter. He passed that while the team was very impressed with me, they were going to proceed with other candidates. However, he also said that while I was not right for the job I interviewed for, I was likely a good fit for Amazon and the hiring manager was going to reach out to other teams to try to find a fit and work towards an abbreviated interview loop. Have not been able to set up a follow-on interview yet, but I remain hopeful as I continue to explore other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA so won't provide specifics. Spend most of your interview prep really learning the Amazon Leadership Principles and preparing multiple examples using the STAR template.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Reston, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

This was a technical phone screen for Linux Systems Engineer in an AWS team with a member of the team. The recruiter for AWS scheduled the day and time and provided some URLs for material to review along with a collaborative pastebin. The engineer called the provided number at the specified time. After covering the basic details of the position and team, he asked a few easy unix and DNS questions and a couple of "interview" type questions. The collaborative pastebin was not needed and the review material was not relevant to the technical questions, contrary to the recruiter's claim.

Interview Questions

• Various basic unix questions including how to find processes, parent processes, large files, filesystem usage, resource limits and how to set kernel parameters.   1 Answer
    • In DNS, what is an A record, CNAME, TTL, negaive TTL, SOA.   1 Answer
    • Give an example of an occasion in which you determined a root cause of a problem.   1 Answer

Systems Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Had a quick phone screen with the recruiter, was going to do one of their "blitz" days but due to a schedule conflict went in for an all-day on a different date. Had 5 interviewers including the director who took me to lunch. The interview was mostly behavioral. In other words lots of "tell me about a time when ..." type questions. Out of the 5 interviewers the 4th was somewhat hostile and grilled me the most. For technical content I was asked some high level system design questions by the 2nd interviewer and was given a coding problem along with technical networking questions by the 5th interviewer. I believe tiring me out before hitting me with the hostile questions and the harder technical questions was deliberate. Amazon was quick about making a decision and communicated politely that they didn't feel I was a fit for the team at this time.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a ICMP or TCP TTL and a DNS TTL   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

15 Minute for a math question, 1 interview with operations manager, 1 interview with HR person. You take the math question in a room with all the other candidates, the recruiters aren't useful and don't reply to your email... Always say you're willing to relocate anywhere because they'll most likely hire you (even if they say it doesn't affect your interview).

Interview Questions

• What was something you were going in to and noticed that you're going to fail, what did you end up doing   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

An HR attempts to give an orientation. Mostly Audio Visual. She was barely intelligible, probably first time doing a presentation. Technical problems etc. You take a drug test. That is the interview process.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Applied via their college recruiting process. The process took about 5 weeks and consisted of one phone interview and one interview at a fulfillment center. Company members took a group of candidates on a tour of the facility followed by four separate interviews that lasted about 30 minutes each. A math question was also asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you knew you were unprepared. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

First Phone call: Recruiter will ask you basic background information about you, academic projects, few HR questions etc.. Followed by this, there will be two 45 min Technical Interviews with a break of 15mins in between.. They will share screen with you and will ask you to code..usually 1-2 Qustions..They could be same or different in two interview calls.. Once you clear this, you will be called for On site interview..