Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Got mail and call from one of the hiring recruiters from the company. They were ready to take up interview almost immediately (like the next day). However, they asked when was the most convenient time. Scheduled for a telephonic interview which involved coding as well.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult question. Retrieve max three elements in an array in O(n)   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

There were two hour long phone screens, followed by eight in person interviews at the offices in Seattle. The questions were all over the board, but most were behavioral questions asking for examples of how you have responded in certain situations before, and drilling in to your examples as far as possible.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall the exact wording, but they want to know how you have used data to make decisions in the past. Once you give them an example, be prepared to go very far in depth with it. They will ask details that might even seem irrelevant, and the questioning process on that one example can last upto twenty minutes.   Answer Question

Fulfillment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview process begins with a phone interview where they mostly tell you about the company. Next is an in-person interview which consists of learning more about the company, detailing what shifts you are eligible for and taking a drug test. Everyone is usually hired as long as you pass the drug test and background check.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I missed a hiring event earlier in the week, but a friend referred me to a recruiter that contacted him earlier last month. I emailed her and had a brief conversation to ask what I'm currently doing at my job and why I'm looking to leave. Afterwards, she set me up with a 90-minute remote interview using collabedit.com. She recommended using www.topcoder.com and www.careercup.com to prepare for the interview.

Almost a week later, I had the phone/ coding interview:
    1. Find the intersection of two arrays
       a. What's the time and space complexity?
       b. Can you improve performance? i.e. What if arrays were sorted?
       c. Which sort would you choose?
       d. What if provided and unknown number of arrays?

2. Given a binary search tree, write a method to add a new node to the tree (without re-structuring)

P.S. I heard from a fellow Amazon friend that they are changing up the interview process, so I'm not sure if this is what it's moving to since he said that he had 2 45-minute interviews before proceeding to the on-site interview.

Research Manager Interview

Interview scheduler was great but phone screener was unbelievably arrogant and patronizing. I left with the impression that micro management was rampant and that this would be a dreadful place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Some irrelevant question, effectively about how to micromanage and blame employees.   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

I received an email from the HR describing the recruiting process. The 1st phone interview is supposed to be based on Amazon values only. However, my interviewer decided otherwise and asked me only job-related questions. This was a pure waste of time. In addition, he did not speak really english really well.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through the Amazon.com website and school website, got selected for an on campus interview. Consisted of 2 interviews, each 45 minutes long, and one after the other. The first one had some really challenging questions, while the second one was a breeze. After 2 weeks, got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 strings, how can you determine that one string is only made of characters found in the second string.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Very professional and organized process. Recruiting people are great. First a phone call from the recruiter. Second a 30 min interview with a director, pretty high level, and then another interview with a TPM which is more detailed.
    I was then invited to travel to the HQ in Seattle for a marathon of 5 interviews, with TPMs and Directors, four of them 1:1 and one 2:1.
    You can tell they interview a lot of people, some interviewers tried to show some interest others were in auto-pilot mode, asking the same questions and getting the same answers for the hundredth time can sure be boring.
    In the end, all folks very professional, doing their job, but I did miss some small talk, non-scripted talk, maybe 5 minutes after each interview, where you get to know the people better. I left with the impression that I talked to 6 machines that were programmed to ask questions and drilling them down to the core.
    From the Glassdoor reviews I learned that only one in four candidates who come to this stage get an offer letter, so I already knew my chances were slim. Anyways I flew over to gain experience and improve my interview game. Also I got to know the company and it's people, on which I don't think I would fit in.

Interview Questions
    • Can not specify a question due to NDA, but there are many questions about past projects and request to solution some problem. Nothing too exotic, however on interview #4 or #5 I confess I got sick and tired of talking the same things over and over. Incidentally the more important interviews are the last ones, maybe on purpose :) But at that point I already knew I did not want to be an Amazonian.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Contacted by email out of the blue and asked for an on-site interview for the position. Flew to Seattle HQ and interviewed there. The process was very quick and well organized. Due to NDA I cannot discuss the format or details of the interview but the interview was very different from any other tech companies. The format and question asked were more related to actual programming than the usual questions you'd see from the book.

Interview Questions
    • The interview format was different than the usual problem, solution on whiteboard kind of interview. It was much more similar to day to day coding and related more to the job.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I applied online a few months ago and received an invitation from a recruiter to take the amazon online assessment test. It was a link to hackerank.
    The actual interview consisted of two pretty simple coding questions and a logic test part.
    I was given 30 mins for each coding question and 35 mins for the logic part(25 questions).
    NOTE: Time flies really fast during the logic session. You should work fast.

The first question had to do with string manipulation and the other question was on bit level manipulation