Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Group interview, not really hard, with 2 other candidates. Each got a part of the project to complete individually, last for a day. The first part is group discussion for an hour and interviewers will come and ask question. Then each of the candidates will assign a part of the project and do it all by ourselves. There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.

Interview Questions

• There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was all technical, i was expecting first the will talk about the company culture and all. But the questions were good . Design questions required some thinking. It was an overall good experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Various times, I was told that Amazon was a terrible company to work for from people inside. However, they reached out to me for an SFA role and I flew up to Seattle to interview with the team. To be quite honest, did not click with anyone but the hiring manager. Hiring manager was a really down to earth guy who was professional and personable. The interview process was very fast but the selection of people who I interviewed with was really poor (except the hiring manager). Amazon web services seems like a group that is all over the place and people seem to run with their heads cut off. A chaos in a chaos. While this can be a great opportunity for growth, it requires good leadership which this team lacked in various aspects - in my view. The entire in person interview felt scripted. Each person walked into the room with a set of questions that was already written on a piece of paper (which also overlapped some of the questions I was asked before - It makes you feel like they are not prepared and it is equally frustrating).

Amazon seemingly values its 14 principles very much but when you ask a question about these principles to the managers, they give you very vague, general responses. 2 people I interviewed with specifically were extremely rude and unprofessional to an extend that they would respond to my questions with questions and ridicule my experience with a condescending tone of voice - which broke the deal right there in the office. I would not even work for this team if Jeff Bezos paid me thousands. Other departments could be different but finance was a big disappointment. Horrible interpersonal and communication skills. Imagine how horrible that would be in such a chaotic work environment working with them on a daily basis. It definitely did not feel like a welcoming team. rather felt like a team that is in deep chaos and in desperate need of people to crunch numbers. I can crunch all the numbers in the world but if the team is not a fit, that is it. I think it was a mutual feeling of no fit.

Interview process: Around 3-4 weeks
    1st: Phone Int. with recruiter
    2nd: Phone Int. with hiring manager
    3rd: Phone int. with another manager
    4th: In person interview in Seattle

Questions: All behavioral questions geared to see if you exhibit any / all of the 14 principles.

Interview

I applied online one year ago and maybe one week later, one HR contact me, and asked me if I had got the interview within half year, and I said this is the first time I applied Amazon. Then, he gave me a link and let me answer the three code questions within one and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• Search a element in a matrix using log(n) time.   1 Answer

Programmer Writer Interview

Interview

I had an informational interview with my prospective manager. He told Amazon recruiter to begin the process. I had two phone screens. Was then invited in for an interview loop. Was not offered a job. I was not aware of where I messed up the interview.

Area Manager Interview

Interview

So far so good. Standard questions. In person interview is next week. Phone interview and screening process with recruiter went smoothly. No surprises. Be confident is the best advise I would have.

Interview

Got referral from my friend, reached back by a recruiter in about two weeks and scheduled two (or three? I don't remember) back-to-back phone interviews one week later. Received the offer in three weeks. I could choose which team I would like to join and they provided me three different options.

Quality Assurance Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The phone screen for the position was good. The discussion with the hiring manager went well (both on phone and in person).

The in person inteview was a bit odd at times. One interviewer cancelled and some had not even read my resume. Most of the interviewers were great to talk to. One interviewer however had been up late working the night before and seemed a bit off. He asked me what programming language I was strongest in and then proceeded to ask a question in another language.

The lunch interview with the hiring manager was good. They were easy to talk with and exciting about the project.

Recruiting at Amazon seems a bit unorganized. Granted the people felt bad about their mistakes though...

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list using pointers (C programming language)   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Amazon is a big name and work wise you may have great exposure. You may think you have all good reasons to work for this company which is doing great financially and leading way technologically. Those were the reason I went after Amazon. Just to end up in sadness and frustration.

The recruiter part is very standard , it followed by hiring manager interviewing for 1 hr. Apparently I cleared that and was excited. I got called in for on site interview and 4-7 persons were to interview.

The hiring manager took the first one. His boss second , peer Dev manager, Product manager , and again two Dev managers- one was just shadowing.

I believe they were testing me on the amazon leadership values that recruiter had emailed . I had plenty of example on those to offer. The level of questions went up , up and up. I was also asked to write code, draw architecture, , situational questions. etc.

Over all expect a lot of questions on Amz's values and architecture.

The interview went well in my opinion. My self I am a manager of one department and didn't sense any discomfort or wrong track. Of course until I received the call of "Thank you "

Amazon is a great company if you want exposure. But the interview process is too much to deal with.
    Amazon does have a high employee churn,

Sadly, when I asked for some feedback I was told that they don't share any. If there is an HR person on this blog -- dude look into this. People are successful out side Amazon too. You are hurting and spending a lot of energy on finding people.

Amz seems to look one person to substitute 5 different roles.

Atleast provide feedback

Interview Questions

• What is that you don't want to do ? It was an interesting question because all we think a lot about what we want to do.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Interview

I took a test online with 3 coding questions within a 40 minute time frame. print out a program that calculates peoples grades. that's one of them, I don't remember the rest. I got through that and got an email saying they would fly me to Washington!

They flew me down to Washington for an interview set up hotel and pretty much all the accommodations (i.e. food, taxi service), Apparently they have a lot of interviewees according to the taxi drivers. They look for the best of the crop.

I went to the interview the next day. They took me through 5 rounds of interviews. Know your Big O notation, know how to sort through a relational database, algorithms and especially know your data structures( LinkedLists, trees, etc.) I can't remember the rest of the questions specifically...

Interview Questions

• How to reverse a linkedList?   1 Answer