Amazon.com Interview Questions

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Applied via their college recruiting process. The process took about 5 weeks and consisted of one phone interview and one interview at a fulfillment center. Company members took a group of candidates on a tour of the facility followed by four separate interviews that lasted about 30 minutes each. A math question was also asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you knew you were unprepared. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

First Phone call: Recruiter will ask you basic background information about you, academic projects, few HR questions etc.. Followed by this, there will be two 45 min Technical Interviews with a break of 15mins in between.. They will share screen with you and will ask you to code..usually 1-2 Qustions..They could be same or different in two interview calls.. Once you clear this, you will be called for On site interview..

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was 98% behavioral. Tons of very specific questions about situations and how I handled them. Also had to write a two page essay, which none of the interviewers read. "I would rather hear you describe your answer than read your essay," say the lazy interviewer. They also seemed obsessed with questions about failure.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that your manager wanted you to do something, you didn't want to do it, but you did it anyway.   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was referred internally by a friend to begin the cycle. About a month after submission, I heard from the recruiter to schedule a phone screen with the hiring manager. Hiring manager asked a few general questions about my experience and one specific behavioral questions about a time when I had to be innovative. The hiring manager asked me to speak with her boss (20 mins on experience, strengths, and weaknesses). I was then scheduled for my loop in Seattle about a week and a half later. The loop is a tiring 6 hour process where the focus is on behavioral questions meant to draw out experiences related to Amazon's leadership principles. I spoke with 6 interviewers back-to-back-to-back all of whom were assessing my strengths against different leadership principles. The loop is certainly an exhausting process. However, if you prepare and have good stories from your background focused on Amazon's Leadership Principles, it is a manageable process. I heard from the recruiter 3 days later that the team was impressed with my interviews, and were extending an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a significant risk.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Took around two weeks. First contacted by an Amazon recruiter, then scheduled a on-site interview. It was a hiring even so the on-site interview was locally. Met 5 people total, 4 of them are engineer and one manager. The whole process took me 5 hours.

Interview Questions

• For mid-level software developer, all the questions are design question. One of them is to write codes for a traffic light system, include all classes and methods.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

one round phone interview, basic interview questions, the interviewer is really nice. You can pass it by explaining your solution clearly. They will send you a website where you can code at. You will share the screen with the interviewer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Onsite at Houston, there were 4 technical interviews in front of a whiteboard. Good mix of questions. Got a call back saying that the bar raiser thought I'd be good for a management role so I did a phone interview for that but I had a very hard time understanding the interviewer because of his Indian accent. I found a decent solution to the programming question in that interview but was told I was not going to be offered the management position but would be offered an SDE position, the recruiter talked about compensation but would not mention a base salary, only total compensation package, which is fine, but I make my decisions on my known budget and if I can afford rent in the location. Then I heard nothing for several days and was finally passed to another Amazon recruiter. She said that I had a phone call with a team manager to see if it was a good fit, she specifically said it would not be technical that I had allready passed all that. The phone call started out with very bad feedback, the interviewer was using some software that made an echo of everything I said. It was very disorientating to be talking about my past projects but hear my voice repeat. He turned whatever it was off then then drilled into one project in particular in an area that I had said I didn't setup. Then asked an algorithm question, which I found a medium level solution for. It was very adversarial feeling. Very strange company that they state that hiring is there number one focus. I think not hiring is really there number one goal, because after that call the recruiter said she was confused by what happened as well and said she'd try me with 2 more teams for a fit. It's been 4 days since she said that so I've pretty much written them off. No one that I've talked to seems to be a decision maker, if a company makes a verbal offer and says over and over that they want to hire you, why not just finalize it and figure out placement later. Company seems great if you know what your getting into, but the hiring process seems convoluted.

Interview Questions

• They asked me Software Engineering questions and about my past experience. They provide prep material to study prior to the technical interviews so there were no surprises until I had the interview that was not supposed to be technical.   Answer Question

They don't have a button for 'Still in process', they gave me a verbal offer but then never completed it. Other companies are looking better simply as a result of the interview experience. I'd still consider if they send a real offer.

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Redondo Beach, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

There was no interview. They ask for my I.D. and proof of high school education and hired a group of us on the spot. There was someone from amazon talking about the company and what we needed be able to do and the basics of the job. Also took a drug test during the group presentation which took most of the time.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Rutherford, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (East Rutherford, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

3 part interview. First was in a group and given a simple math problem to solve. Then interviewed by a current area manager and was asked a few personality questions and was given an overview of the job. Final part was interview by HR rep. Here we discussed the math problem and were asked a few more questions of how we would handle on the job situations. Overall a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were faced with a problem and were unable to solve it   Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

1. Phone call with an Amazon recruiter. 2. Phone interview with hiring manager that they called an "information session". 3. Technical phone interview with another TPM in the department. 4. All day onsite interviews with 7 people, 2 of which were bar "raisers". All of the stories on Glassdoor and other sites had me completely overwhelmed while preparing for this interview. At the end of the day, the interview was not much different than other large companies. There were no strange questions or code to write. I guess the difference was that I was qualified for the position with my technical background and years of experience. I had plenty of past projects to talk about and I was easily able to answer all of the technical questions. I left underwhelmed and disappointed that they did not "sell" the job to me. I sat in the same room for 5 hours, not including a 30min. lunch interview, and did not get a feeling of what it would be like to work there. Most jobs I interview for in the past gave me the "sell" and at a minimum walked me around. Not Amazon. They should really do better on the "sell" in order to keep attracting top talent. We all know they don't have any good perks, but give it some effort.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were "tell me about a time" and behavioral. Lots of questions around the Amazon leadership principles. I was asked to design solutions to several given problems. They want to hear about your past project war stories and what you did.   Answer Question