Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and a few days later received an email asking for information, which was clearly already given on the application submitted. Sent the information regardless and received another email a week later setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was given by one person who was obviously reading from a script.. typical situation questions and a couple math problems (VERY similar to the ones listed on this site). The interviewer clearly didn't read my resume or application and seemed bored the moment it started (it was 4pm on a Friday). I'd compare it to talking with a brick wall in an abandoned building in Detroit.. which came as a surprise, since other reviewers on the site seemed to have a personal connection with their phone interviewer. I asked him about the company and he didn't seem to know much about it. Wasn't shocked when I received an email a week later stating they were going to pursue other candidates. No harm, received a great offer with another company a couple weeks later.

Interview Questions

• a few "Tell me about a time..." questions and the math questions listed on this site.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very casual If you are confident in an interview setting it will be a breeze I did a on campus interview through the university and was called the next day for a in person interview the next day. It consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with two different people and a math solving problem. The math portion was easy, but I noticed that a lot of other people over thought the problem, just do the math and dont worry about the situation.

Anonymous Employee in Turlock, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Turlock, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Amazon came to the university. We were asked to bring resumes. We did not need to dress formally. The interviewers were dressed casually. It was a relaxed atmosphere. and each person had a short interview with 2 people. If you did well in this interview, you would get a second interview at Amazon's warehouse.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Do you have any questions for us?   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

First round was a screening interview with HR, followed by 2 rounds over the phone. If you pass these rounds, you'd be invited to an all day interviews in Seattle. Second interview consisted of 45 mins where I was asked behavioral questions and 2 case interview questions. Third interview was another 45 mins of behavioral questions and case interview questions. Use STAR method to respond and remember as you respond that Amazon's approach is heavily centered around its customers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Tell me a time when you had to make a decision without your Manager's input/approval... lots of follow up questions (how, why, what, etc). Tell me a time when you had to solve a difficult problem? How would you determine the inventory for a seasonal product? What criteria would you consider to pick a vendor? Why Amazon? What is Amazon good at? How would you improve Amazon's website? Questions around handling products that cost a lot in shipping but don't bring in a lot of margin...   Answer Question

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lebanon, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Lebanon, TN).

Interview

Difficult, the math question had me , the roll playing was intimidating but fun at the same time. I was offered the position and I accepted it. Have been in the position almost three years now.

Interview Questions

• Had to do a roll play as if I were the manager and the interviewer was the associate.   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Efficient, quick and fair. They've got the process down to a science - it's impressive. Three phone screens then flew out to Seattle HQ for a day of interviews. Interviewers communicate with each other throughout the day to make sure you're consistent with your facts but also so you don't use the same answer over and over (I was asked in one interview to focus on a different area of my experience since I'd already covered my more recent experience with a prior interviewer). When answering questions, don't be afraid to go deep and provide detail. They want to hear it. Also know their 14 leadership principles and how your experience relates to each one. Every question will tie back to them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you did something for the customer that may not have been in the best interests of the company.   Answer Question

Software Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It is phone interview. I apply it online, after few weeks the recruiter contacted me so we have a phone interview. The recruiter is really serious to me, but the questions are not that difficult

Interview Questions

• ask me about SQL injection and XSS attack and XSF attack; question about network security   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Columbus, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online and was contacted later that week about the position. I attended an information session that was very helpful in determining the responsibilities of the job and had an interview at the end of the week. The interview process was a three stages: a flow problem and two separate 45 minute interviews. The flow problem was not as difficult as I had feared going in as long as you don't over think it and I got 15 minutes to complete it. During this time I was in a room mixed with various Amazon employees and other candidates. The Amazon employees were really friendly and helped take the edge off and were dressed just as casually as we were told to come. After this we were called one at a time into either the math review/operations interview or the HR/personality interview. The operations section was focused on how I have improved processes in past experiences and things of that nature while the math review was simply them checking my work and changing a few variables to see if I could still do it. The HR/personality portion was pretty standard but many of the questions were geared towards Amazon's culture. Overall I found the process to be very well done from the amount of information provided to the friendliness and professionalism of the entire team.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2015.

Interview

5 successive 45 minute 1 on 1 interviews where they start off with 1-2 personality/story questions, do 1 whiteboard coding problem, and then give you 2-5 minutes to ask your own questions. They send you a link to a "what to expect during your Amazon.com interview" video that's spot on.

Interview Questions

• "tell me about a time you failed, what did you learn?" "tell me about your most difficult success, what techniques did you use to succeed?" "tell me about a time you had an interpersonal problem, how did you resolve it?" All technical questions were problem solving based on basic algorithms and data structures (they prepare you with a list in the "what to expect" video.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was geared toward making me feel comfortable. First the interviewers would talk a bit about themselves and what they do at Amazon, followed by very open-ended questions about myself. After the initial open-ended questions, the interviewer would get into more specific topics and/or coding questions. The coding questions required writing close to syntactically correct code on a whiteboard, but the interviewers were OK with a bit of handwaving. The interviewers were also helpful in identifying issues with my solution in a way that kept my comfort level and confidence high. Overall it was a very positive experience.