Amazon.com Interview Questions

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Over the course of months (!) between phone calls they eventually invited me onsite for an interview. The people I met were great to talk to although they seemed really tired and were very intent on keeping everything prompt and punctual. Very scripted questions, nothing spontaneous. Overall a good interview experience except that a lot of my questions got generic answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest failure and what you did to ensure it wouldn't recur?   Answer Question

The offer was too low, even after negotiating, to be worth it. I received another offer that was 12% higher with a company that doesn't have all of the bad reviews that Amazon has.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two phone screens and one on site interview. Questions were specific and they demanded specific answers. The on site interview was done in Seattle. The number of interviews during on site was ~5-6. The campus was nice and people were friendly.

Content Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The communication with the recruiter was simple. Two rounds of interviews with peers apart from a skills test and the initial screening call. What really frustrated me was the second round interview where the interviewer called 15 minutes late, sounded uninterested making me feel he has already made up his mind. The 1 hour interview ended in 20 minutes. The questions were mundane and so general nothing can be done with it. End of the call I knew the process ends here and that's what happened. I hope the HR notices this review and does understand that a job seekers time is also equally important. Why go through the charade when the recruiter's mind is made up?

Fulfillment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Applied online at amazonfulfillmentcareers.com for the new fulfillment center that just opened up in Moreno Valley, CA. Received a few emails over the following 3 weeks pertaining to the hiring process, videos and information about what it's like to work at an Amazon Fulfillment Center and when the company would begin hiring. Finally received an email inviting me to set up an interview appointment date which all dates available wouldn't be for another 3 weeks. So I picked the closest date possible and received a confirmation email a few minutes later with information on a Direct Hire Event they were having at the Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Riverside and what I should bring to the event (government issued I.D. and proof of education). Went to the hotel, followed the amazon signs which led me to about 4 tables with Amazon employees where I checked in, gave them my I.D. and P.O.E and was handed a congratulatory offer of employment, which was contingent upon successfully passing the drug test and background check, of course. They were some other people there who also received an offer of employment and the took us to a room where they discussed information on where we would be working, benefits, pay and we completed our drug test. Was told that we should receive the results of our drug test and background checks by email between 7-14 days. Did all of this within the span of an hour and we were all out the door. Easiest process I've gone through for a job and definitely the best company I've ever worked for by far.

No Negotiation

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

They found me via Linked In.
    Sent me a glaring email about how exciting it would be to part of the Amazon Prime Team.
    And asked me would you be able to attend the recruiting event in Raleigh , NC ? I said YES, few days later they send me the online test ( via hackerrank). The online test was scenario specific about Prime Shipping . Very easy to answer. There was a 2 hour time limit too.
    After few days recruiter sent me official invitation. I was also told that regardless of PASS/FAIL of the hackerrank test result feedback would be given. They never sent me such response.
    After few weeks , they sent me the timeslots to choose for Raleigh, NC and accordingly they booked the hotel and sent me the travel details. I drove to Interivew location.

The interview was in a Marriott hotel. There was a reception area ( basically a Marriott room ) where there and liquid refreshment ( soda, water )was provided and a brochure about Amazon.com and living in Seattle. Recruiter showed us the interview room ( each candidate was assigned the room ) and told that basically you go at 9 AM in this room and wait for your interviewer to arrive. And interview conclude in 50 minutes then you can return to the reception area for refreshment, it was three hour long interview process.

All three hours, they keep asking scenario based questions, I kept asking follow up questions and continued to ask clarifying question , my clarifying question was sometime razor sharp that they themselves are fumbling to find the answer. Question were like if you have Amazon Prime Team and Amazon Music Team, and you are supposed to launch the Amazon Music product and there was no work done so far to do it , how would you go about launching the product ?

Another one about extending the Amazon product page and adding the auction capability how would you design entities ? I used whiteboard to explain the scenario.

Tell me something you do outside of your normal work ?
    What would you do if two teams are not talking with each other but their integration is required in certain project ?

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was that interviewer were very positive their body language etc was like that you are doing a really GOOD JOB ! But sometime you are not !   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions
    • Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   View Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Very tough. 8 rounds of in person interviews and 2 phone calls. They would also ask for samples of work. There will be the usual curve ball questions to see what you are capable of and they are very in depth. You cannot get away with cursory knowledge of things. However make sure you also grill the manager well because if you get a lousy manager, you won't have much fun in this job.

Interview Questions
    Depends on what you are looking for.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Two phone interviews back to back. First interviewer asked about one of my projects and the second asked various data structure questions and asked me to code whether a binary tree is a valid binary search tree.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not tricky. They were very helpful and guided me through the problems.   Answer Question

Speech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

first an email form recruiter, then two interviewers with one hour person. Ask your experience in very details, and job-related technologies. Algorithm will be asked in very depth. Interviewer is typing for his stuff when doing the coding online. The coding problem is permutation, do prepare for the coding part.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Applied on their website. Was later emailed by a recruiter in order to set up a time for my phone interviews. The interviews consisted of 2 45 min phone interviews. Both interviews consisted of the interviewer introducing themselves, then coding question, and finally 5 minutes to ask questions. 2 weeks after the interview I was contacted and offered the internship.