Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Over the course of months (!) between phone calls they eventually invited me onsite for an interview. The people I met were great to talk to although they seemed really tired and were very intent on keeping everything prompt and punctual. Very scripted questions, nothing spontaneous. Overall a good interview experience except that a lot of my questions got generic answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest failure and what you did to ensure it wouldn't recur?   Answer Question

The offer was too low, even after negotiating, to be worth it. I received another offer that was 12% higher with a company that doesn't have all of the bad reviews that Amazon has.

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Filled out online application through SMX (staffing company). After filling out application I was able to select a date & time for the "interview" & skills test. I showed up early for interview and was lead to a computer where I had to complete the skills test. This was a 20 question test that had to be completed within 10 minutes. After the test was complete I met with the interviewer and we discussed availability and some basic questions. Then I was back to the computer filling in about 10 forms W4 to company policy info. They also administered a drug test. From that point I had to go in the next morning for orientation and after watching a video we were told we would be notified by phone within 7-10 days after the background test and drug test were complete.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when someone was doing something unsafe and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Asked me to do Online Assessment, first part is two coding problems for 70 minutes. First question is right rotation, second is deleting vowels from a string. Then 24 multiple choices problems for 35 minutes. The whole process has been recorded.

Interview Questions
    • Those multiple choices seem to test IQ, these are not hard but trivial and only 35 minutes. You should at least answer 15 questions. I passes all test cases of two coding problems, but I still didn't get the chance of onsite interview.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was reached out to by a sourcing recruiter, who said she had found a great opening for me if I was interested. I spoke with her informally first, then had a first round with one team member, followed by a second round with a higher ranking team member.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing specifically difficult. Make sure you know the core Amazon principles though!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Two phone interviews back to back. First interviewer asked about one of my projects and the second asked various data structure questions and asked me to code whether a binary tree is a valid binary search tree.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not tricky. They were very helpful and guided me through the problems.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon is a big name and work wise you may have great exposure. You may think you have all good reasons to work for this company which is doing great financially and leading way technologically. Those were the reason I went after Amazon. Just to end up in sadness and frustration.

The recruiter part is very standard , it followed by hiring manager interviewing for 1 hr. Apparently I cleared that and was excited. I got called in for on site interview and 4-7 persons were to interview.

The hiring manager took the first one. His boss second , peer Dev manager, Product manager , and again two Dev managers- one was just shadowing.

I believe they were testing me on the amazon leadership values that recruiter had emailed . I had plenty of example on those to offer. The level of questions went up , up and up. I was also asked to write code, draw architecture, , situational questions. etc.

Over all expect a lot of questions on Amz's values and architecture.

The interview went well in my opinion. My self I am a manager of one department and didn't sense any discomfort or wrong track. Of course until I received the call of "Thank you "

Amazon is a great company if you want exposure. But the interview process is too much to deal with.
    Amazon does have a high employee churn,

Sadly, when I asked for some feedback I was told that they don't share any. If there is an HR person on this blog -- dude look into this. People are successful out side Amazon too. You are hurting and spending a lot of energy on finding people.

Amz seems to look one person to substitute 5 different roles.

Atleast provide feedback

Interview Questions
    • What is that you don't want to do ? It was an interesting question because all we think a lot about what we want to do.   Answer Question

Speech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

first an email form recruiter, then two interviewers with one hour person. Ask your experience in very details, and job-related technologies. Algorithm will be asked in very depth. Interviewer is typing for his stuff when doing the coding online. The coding problem is permutation, do prepare for the coding part.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Applied on their website. Was later emailed by a recruiter in order to set up a time for my phone interviews. The interviews consisted of 2 45 min phone interviews. Both interviews consisted of the interviewer introducing themselves, then coding question, and finally 5 minutes to ask questions. 2 weeks after the interview I was contacted and offered the internship.

Database Administrator II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

first hr will contact you and schedule a telephonic round . total interview is of 5-6 rounds of technical and a final face to face interview and then a final offer is given

Interview Questions
    • too many questions on Oracle Internals   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The research scientist is more of a statistician role. The interviewer first asked what is the most challenging part in my research projects. But we had some conflicts in a technical part, and I could not convince him somehow... I guess that's the reason I got declined the second day... In the last minute, he asked a Bayesian statistical question, which I answered very fast accurately, but it didn't seem to help a lot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging part in your research projects?   Answer Question