Amazon.com

Updated Jan 30, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Content Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The communication with the recruiter was simple. Two rounds of interviews with peers apart from a skills test and the initial screening call. What really frustrated me was the second round interview where the interviewer called 15 minutes late, sounded uninterested making me feel he has already made up his mind. The 1 hour interview ended in 20 minutes. The questions were mundane and so general nothing can be done with it. End of the call I knew the process ends here and that's what happened. I hope the HR notices this review and does understand that a job seekers time is also equally important. Why go through the charade when the recruiter's mind is made up?

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon is a big name and work wise you may have great exposure. You may think you have all good reasons to work for this company which is doing great financially and leading way technologically. Those were the reason I went after Amazon. Just to end up in sadness and frustration.

The recruiter part is very standard , it followed by hiring manager interviewing for 1 hr. Apparently I cleared that and was excited. I got called in for on site interview and 4-7 persons were to interview.

The hiring manager took the first one. His boss second , peer Dev manager, Product manager , and again two Dev managers- one was just shadowing.

I believe they were testing me on the amazon leadership values that recruiter had emailed . I had plenty of example on those to offer. The level of questions went up , up and up. I was also asked to write code, draw architecture, , situational questions. etc.

Over all expect a lot of questions on Amz's values and architecture.

The interview went well in my opinion. My self I am a manager of one department and didn't sense any discomfort or wrong track. Of course until I received the call of "Thank you "

Amazon is a great company if you want exposure. But the interview process is too much to deal with.
    Amazon does have a high employee churn,

Sadly, when I asked for some feedback I was told that they don't share any. If there is an HR person on this blog -- dude look into this. People are successful out side Amazon too. You are hurting and spending a lot of energy on finding people.

Amz seems to look one person to substitute 5 different roles.

Atleast provide feedback

Interview Questions
    • What is that you don't want to do ? It was an interesting question because all we think a lot about what we want to do.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions
    • Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   View Answers (2)

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I initially applied online. Waited about a week for a response via email. Then I scheduled an interview. When I arrived at the hiring event I was asked for proof of education. Then I was immediately sent to another room where my photo is badge was taken. Afterwards, I went to another room where a mini explanation of the job description was given and the drug test was administered. I was not asked any interview questions.

10.50 and nonnegotiable

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Filled out online application through SMX (staffing company). After filling out application I was able to select a date & time for the "interview" & skills test. I showed up early for interview and was lead to a computer where I had to complete the skills test. This was a 20 question test that had to be completed within 10 minutes. After the test was complete I met with the interviewer and we discussed availability and some basic questions. Then I was back to the computer filling in about 10 forms W4 to company policy info. They also administered a drug test. From that point I had to go in the next morning for orientation and after watching a video we were told we would be notified by phone within 7-10 days after the background test and drug test were complete.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when someone was doing something unsafe and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Asked me to do Online Assessment, first part is two coding problems for 70 minutes. First question is right rotation, second is deleting vowels from a string. Then 24 multiple choices problems for 35 minutes. The whole process has been recorded.

Interview Questions
    • Those multiple choices seem to test IQ, these are not hard but trivial and only 35 minutes. You should at least answer 15 questions. I passes all test cases of two coding problems, but I still didn't get the chance of onsite interview.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Over the course of months (!) between phone calls they eventually invited me onsite for an interview. The people I met were great to talk to although they seemed really tired and were very intent on keeping everything prompt and punctual. Very scripted questions, nothing spontaneous. Overall a good interview experience except that a lot of my questions got generic answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest failure and what you did to ensure it wouldn't recur?   Answer Question

The offer was too low, even after negotiating, to be worth it. I received another offer that was 12% higher with a company that doesn't have all of the bad reviews that Amazon has.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I am still early (and hopefully will continue) in the process. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume. I did see them at a job fair, but didn't talk to them at the time as I didn't think I was moving to a location where they have a DC.
    The recruiter sent me an email questionnaire with basic questions (which others have described).
    I didn't think I would hear back from them after a week or 10 days went by, but then I got an email about a day and time for a phone interview.

What I did appreciate was the phone interview was with the Sr. Ops Manager at the location I wanted to work at. From what I have read, this isn't the normal experience.

The phone interview lasted about 45 min.
    First she told me about herself, and her career with Amazon.
    Then she asked me to walk her through my resume.
    Next, she talked about the Amazon leadership principles and said the rest of the interview would be based on 3 of these with one math problem.
    The questions were all behavioral (give me an example of a time when...) and related to the Amazon leadership principles of Teach, Think, and Deliver. There are more principles, but those were the 3 that I was asked to speak to.
    After that, she asked me to solve a production output problem. (Also on here in a previous review).

As others have stated, it was very script based and she stuck to her part. There were a couple time where she asked me to explain something a little deeper.

Oh, she also did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses and specifics about how many people I have had to lead in past positions.

Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well. She said I'd hear from the recruiter in 2-3 days (one way or the other), and although I haven't heard anything yet...based on the previous response time I don't think that means anything. It's been 5 business days...and I will contact the recruiter tomorrow and will update this appropriately.

**UPDATE**

After my phone interview, I waited about a week (or 10 days) and then heard from the recruiter that I had been invited to an in-person on-site interview. I was invited out to a regional event. There were 16 people there 8 in the AM and 8 in the PM. We were all interviewing for area manager but not all at the same location. Also, there are several Area managers per shift and several shifts...so your not exactly competing against everyone there. Maybe a few, but not all.

The on-site interview included travel to the location. Security it tight, so be early. We also got a tour of the facility. It was VERY impressive to see.

The process began with a math production flow problem. (If you look at other posts, you will find it). Be sure to understand the problem since in one interview they will change something in the problem and ask you for the new answer.

There are 4 (45 min) interviews with 4 different people. Mine were 3 Sr. Ops Managers and 1 HR manager.

Mine ended up back-to back - to back - to back.... to 3 hrs straight. Most of the others had short breaks in between.

All the interviewers were really nice, gave a bit about their backgrounds and left time to answer questions.
    All questions were to be answered in the STAR format. I didn't follow the format too formally, just told stories that covered the elements. All questions are related to Amazon leadership principles in some way. Just think about what principle the question is asking about. I prepared 2-3 stories (examples) that related to each. That way I had plenty to talk about for 3 hours. I did use some of the same examples in multiple interviews...but not many.

It is important to be able to use quantifiable results in your examples.

Overall, I left feeling pretty good about the interview. I received a call the next day from the recruiter letting my know that they were going to offer me a position. About a week later, I received the formal offer letter. The offer was about what I was expecting. Base salary + bonus + stock. The numbers were about what I thought they would be bases on my research and initial conversations.

Ultimately, I declined the offer for another position. Nothing against Amazon, but I choose another career path outside of operations.
    It was a good experience, but fairly difficult interview process. If I hadn't have received a second offer while still considering the Amazon offer, I would have accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • (Unexpected) Role play during in-person interview:
      You have an at-will associate who is constantly late and is under performing. This is their last chance to turn things around. What do you say to them to motivate them?

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Two phone interviews back to back. First interviewer asked about one of my projects and the second asked various data structure questions and asked me to code whether a binary tree is a valid binary search tree.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not tricky. They were very helpful and guided me through the problems.   Answer Question

Speech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

first an email form recruiter, then two interviewers with one hour person. Ask your experience in very details, and job-related technologies. Algorithm will be asked in very depth. Interviewer is typing for his stuff when doing the coding online. The coding problem is permutation, do prepare for the coding part.