Amazon.com

4,126 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interview. They are really focused on the leadership principals.
One long day of interview in Seattle. Very exhausting.

Interview Question – No weird questions. Mostly behavioral questions and past accomplishments.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – Excellent when it comes to scheduling interview and providing information regarding the process and interviewees. But they never got back to me

Interview Question – How will i calculate the angle between the hour hand and minute hand if I am provided with time in HH:MM format   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – 2 phone screen and 5 interviews onsite interviews. Pretty much tough day.

Interview Question – Difficult   Answer Question

Amazon Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – There are 3 phone interviews. One interviewer asked how to find cross elements in two given arrays.

Interview Question – One interviewer asked an OOD question (design a movie-actor search system). I can not understand all what he said.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online from their career website. Got a reply after 3 to 4 weeks. There were 2 back to back 45 minutes interviews with a 15 mins break in between. Both were technical and focused on Data Structures.
In the first interview the interviewer asked me about my projects, why I got into this field and why I applied for this position and then asked the main programming question. The second interview was also more or less the same.

Interview Question – 1. Implement a hashset from scratch, write code for various methods of hashset.
2. Find all the pairs of numbers from a list that sums to a particular number.
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to complete an online coding assessment which 3 basic algorithms and data structure questions that you have to complete in an hour and a half. You are asked to describe in your own words your thinking process and how to came to the solution you gave. You are also asked to give the time and space complexities of your solution. After about 2 weeks I was invited for an onsite interview in Seattle.

The onsite interview was similar to the coding test. I was interviewed by about 5 engineers from Amazon, most of the questions were your basic algorithm and data structures and problem solving questions. The interviewers were very helpful and pointed out where I went wrong and also helped in debugging the code I had written. The bar raiser gave the toughest question of the lot.

Interview Question – The bar raiser. Can't post the actual question because of the NDA I signed.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Emailed the recruiter my resume personally and got an email two weeks later saying that I have to set up two one hour phone interviews in the following week. Phone interviews were pretty much all technical with very little behavioral.

Phone interviews started off simple, "Let me tell you a little bit about myself", then "tell me a little bit about yourself." My first interviewer went straight from that to coding. You'll use an online program so he sees what you're typing. Other interviewer went through a bunch of short questions that were challenging, then to the coding.

After the two interviews, I got an offer a week later. All in all a simple hiring/interview process.

Interview Question – How do you create a routing table?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had 2 phone interviews. first they asked me to describle the projects I had worked on and my responsibilities and contributions. then coding questions. 1. given a long string and a short string, find whether the short string is contained in the long string, if yes, return the first start index. if no, ruturn -1. (KMP) 2. find the Kth minimum num in an array.

Interview Question – Tell the detailed content of HTTP header.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had a couple of phone interviews and then I was flown out to Seattle for an onsite. The phone interviews were basically what you would expect. One HR interview and one short technical interview just to make sure you're not hopeless. Amazon is hiring a ton of people and I think it was fairly quick and easy to get invited to an onsite.

The onsite was actually the best interview experience I've ever had. There was no whiteboard coding or anything like that. We were given coding projects, laptops equipped with various IDEs, and we just coded the entire day. We were allowed to use the internet too to look at Stack Overflow or whatever. I think this format let me shine whereas I'm not that great at whiteboard coding and I hate having people watch over my shoulder the whole time.

Besides the coding project there was a short tour and a couple of 1-on-1s with software engineers, not to talk about their job or anything, but just to talk about my progress on the coding project, how I was approaching the problem, etc. There was no HR phase during the onsite.

Interview Question – There weren't any specific "questions" for the onsite but I would say know your data structures very well if you want to succeed.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm really not that hard of a worker, but Amazon looks quite grueling. I took a job with much lower pay and much better work-life balance.

Lead Investigator Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – TRMS Department. I interviewed with Amazon over 5 months. This was due to a desire to work with Amazon the company, but was unsure for which job function my skill set would provide the highest mutual benefit. The Amazon recruiters are top notch, they worked with me for months trying to find the best-fit department where I could help affect the greatest change.

After a dozen informational phone "interviews" where I asked about the area of work, the TRMS (Transaction Risk Management Services) department seemed like an amazing blend of customer service and exciting sensitive data analysis, complete with global reach.

Once I settled on a specific Lead role within the department, proceeding to the in-person interviews took place after two 30 min phone interviews. The questions during this phase were behavioral general, seemingly used to determine if the candidate has the career experience and capability to handle the type of work.

After the capability vetting process was completed over the phone, the in-person interview was scheduled the next week, consisting of four 1:1 sessions with various managers within the company. If the phone interviews were used to determine if a candidate *could* do the job, then the in-person interview was all about "Is this person a good fit for our team and environment? Does he exemplify the Amazon values?"

If I have advice for others interviewing, it would be to memorize the Amazon Leadership Values, incorporate them into example-based responses to questions, and remember to smile. Amazon is a fun workplace, filled with every kind of quirky character and looks for positivity in a candidate.

Interview Question – All questions were behavioral based, "Tell me a time when" situations.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was tight, there was not a lot of room to maneuver against the initial offer. The offer consisted of a base salary, stock incentive with 4 year vesting period, a year 1 signing bonus, and another bonus in year 2 if I stay with the company.

I was able to negotiate a higher annual salary, but only by reducing my stock and signing bonuses. In the end it came down to math, and that I personally valued steady reliable paychecks more than variable stock prices.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com