Amazon.com

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Intern, MBA Interview

Operations Intern, MBA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Face to face interview with four interviewers, including three site leaders and one regional director. Interviewers usually start from your resume and ask you to talk about your most recent job. They dig into a lot of details when you talk about your past experience. Prepare for a lot of behavioral questions, especially on leadership. Amazon looks for talented MBA that has strong analytical skills and the ability to lead associates in the warehouse. Experience of dealing with great ambiguity and making tough calls is definitely a plus.

Interview Question – Most questions are behavioral. Visit Amazon FC careers website and read the leadership principles. If you have problems tailoring your stories to these principles, maybe you're not a good fit for Amazon.   Answer Question

MBA Operations Intern Interview

MBA Operations Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Amazon.com has four core schools from the top 10 MBA programs and about a half-dozen "also-ran" schools where they do on-campus recruiting. I'm attending one of the latter. Amazon scheduled two back-to-back phone interviews through my career center and one seemed very positive while the other was rather hostile.

The first interview focused on a few of the core leadership values (know them if you're interviewing) using nothing but behavioral questions. The second interview had a case question as well as challenges to my resume. On my resume, I stated that I was able to write SQL, so my ability was tested verbally. I was asked to explain how left joins work and a few other relatively simple SQL commands. My (perceived) weakest bullet points on the resume were also questioned. The case question is below.

Operations interns are flown out to a Fulfillment Center (FC) for second round interviews if they make it that far. The interview process is the same: two 45 minute back-to-back interviews with Sr. Operations Managers. Most all of the questions were behavioral in nature and the interviewers will again focus on four of the core leadership values each. They will dive deep into your behavioral responses, so expect followup questions to everything you say. Don't get flustered or confused. One of the most important values to demonstrate is "have a backbone."

My interviews were on Friday, and the following Monday morning, I had an offer in hand. Rejections went out at the same time. Amazon is also very generous with their hotel accommodations and per-diems on flybacks, so I had a great time in a small town. Once you have the offer, you'll get to stack rank a few FCs that are taking interns, so you do have some flexibility on where you go.

Interview Question – You are in charge of inbound at a warehouse (everything from the time a truck gets to your lot to when inventory is stowed). You need to increase productivity by 30%. Walk me through how you'll do it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No reason to negotiate. Amazon pays interns very well and the package is standardized for Seattle. Operations interns don't go to Seattle, they go to areas with much lower cost of living. Full-time offers are on the same flat scale normalized to Seattle.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!