Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after the hiring manager found me on LinkedIn. Phone interviews were set up with the recruiter, then hiring manager and then the hiring manager's manager, due to my location. It would have been a cross-country relocation. The interviews were scheduled within 2 week, but it wasn't after another 2 weeks that they ultimately decided not to move forward--i.e. fly me in for an in-person interview. All questions were behavioral with nothing out of the ordinary nor technical were asked.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – The interview was technical and specific in the area the position will cover. I feel like the scope of the role will be relatively narrow and focused which may not be good to career development unless the movement within the company will be relatively easy.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Standard process. Telephone interview followed by an in person interview. 6-7 back to back interviews including a 1 hour lunch meeting. Situational competency based questions covering different areas including technical knowledge, handling multiple priorities, leadership skills, thinking out of the box etc.

Interview Question – Walk me through a multiple priority situation   Answer Question

Manager Finance Interview

Manager Finance
Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – My process began with a contact via LinkedIn. I had one informal phone conversation with another manager in the finance group. That led to two subsequent formal phone interviews with a senior manager in another group and then the hiring manager. This process took just under one month.

The day I completed the phone interview with the hiring manager, I was contacted by their HR/recruiting function to schedule an on-site interview as the final step in the process.

I traveled across country for the on-site so I arrived the night before the interview. I had the next morning to do a little site-seeing around downtown Seattle and prepare for the interview which began with lunch on the Amazon campus. I interviewed with five individuals. They consisted of a person with the same title in the group, one Sr. Manager in the group, the hiring manager, a person from within finance but an entirely different group and then the VP the hiring manager reported to.

The interviews were thorough and focused to a great extent on the company's leadership principles. Being able to relate your own experiences to these leadership principles either positively or in ways you may not have met the standard but learned from it is critical. There was also an interview question that had to be answered in advance of the on-site visit in writing. I received positive feedback on my submission for being clear and organized.

This particular group emphasized a heavy workload from the hours worked standpoint. It may not be the only reason I wasn't offered a position, but they stated in declining to make an offer that they were concerned that the expectations may not be aligned between them and myself.

Interview Question – Give an instance of a financial metric you developed that did or didn't accomplish the intended goal.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – got an email from HR; then set up 1 phone screen with hiring manager and another phone screen with another manager. Then go to on-site interview for a day (from 10 - 4pm) with 6 people. All behaviour questions. No technical question asked. Be prepared and ready to tell your story.

Interview Question – what's the big failure or mistake you made in your career? what did you learn?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked if they can improve the offer and eventually got better terms.

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – They asked me a few questions about what I had done, and I asked about the work life balance. There was none, they work 60-80 hours a week every week. He seemed to love it there, but there was no way they would pay me the rate I was making working 40 hours, so it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to work. It doesn't seem like a good business model to me to work your employees to death, but it seems to be working for them. Personally, I don't even want to buy anything from them knowing how they treat their employees.

Interview Questions

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a company recruiter to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. I thought this was a little atypical as HR usually likes to speak with a candidate first to give them a high level overview of the company and what position they are contacting you about.

When the hiring manager called me, late as a matter of fact, he barely introduced himself, gave no preamble about what the job entailed, and just launched into his questions.

He only asked 2 questions, and then his part of the interview was over. At that point, I finally got the chance to ask a couple of questions about the job and the company. Once it was revealed that the job was going to take between 60-80 hours a week of my time, and that was once the team was fully staffed (at interview time they were only about 50% staffed), I was no longer interested.

The recruiter did follow up the next day to let me know that I would not be continuing on in the process. I had basically figured that out as soon as the interviewer stopped his questioning at 2.

Interview Question – You've been tasked with preparing a business case about whether to continue offering Amazon Prime. What elements would you use to make your case?   Answer Question

Finance Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initial intervew was approximately 1/2 hour by a recruiter. The recruiter got back to me within a week and then scheduled a day of 6 interviews including the hiring manager and others from a variety of teams. It was a very well-organized and professional process. I enjoyed meeting the various team members who were all energetic and seemed trained in interviewing.

Interview Question – Have you had a more junior person report to you that you believe had more potential than you? If so, how did you help them to develop.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was invited for a telephone interview after being referred by an employee. The 45-min interview was largely competency based and it seemed the interviewer was given a long form to fill out within the time rather than conduct a conversation. The interviewer fired a torrid of questions without caring to dwell on the responses.

Interview Question – Biggest professional failure   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Lots of short interviews with structured questions based on when you have demonstrated behaviours outlined in their management principles

Interview Question – All pretty reasonable if you check up on the principles first   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!