Amazon.com Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

3.4

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2015.

Interview

HR scheduled phone interview, then missed it. I emailed her back to ask whether she wanted to reschedule and still consider me, she replied after two days and rescheduled it. Then she missed the interview again. It is really not professional, this HR is wasting my time. I think she changed her mind after sending out the first email or something happened. I am surprised that this kind of thing can happen in Amazon.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter about a week after applying online and set up a phone interview for the following week. Interview was fairly standard... asked me to walk through resume, described the role in more detail, asked basic interview questions. Be sure to discuss how your skills and background fit into their leadership principles. The interviewer specifically said, "the fact that you already landed an interview means we think you're smart and can do the job. I'm more interested in whether your leadership style fits with us." He also mentioned that for the Manager level and above they look for "Bar Raisers" meaning that every new hire needs to raise the bar for that role across the organization. They are looking for people who can come in on day 1 and perform better than 50% of the people already doing that job. It's a solid measurement tool for an organization that's growing at such a rapid pace, but it also means that you may take a lower title than where you are now based on how you rank.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some difficult coaching opportunities with your team? How did you handle?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Interview

You need a good resume to begin with. Be prepared for a first couple of rounds of telephonic interviews and several face to face thereafter. On the day of face to face be mentally and physically prepared for the long day. Questions are behavioral and based on leadership principles of the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. Usual stuff in interviews. Nice people. Very sociable. Seems like a good company to work for especially as a graduate. They are very laid back. I didn't wear a suit to both of the interviews. Business casual at most but most of the interviewers wore jeans and shorts.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

two phone interviews from two different teams.

Interview Questions

• nothing really, not sure what they wanted, but the questions were normal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. During the onsite interview, the HR recruiter greeted me, followed by back to back interviews with 2 interviews, then lunch interview with hiring manager, then another 2 interviews. Each interview was intense with all behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were behavioral...tell me about a time when....   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview

Began with a telephone screen with hiring manager who was merely attempting to confirm credentials for the role. Once that was done, the recruiter in charge got in touch and scheduled a day long set of interviews with entire team and peer to hiring manager. The interviewers were impersonal, matter-of-fact and kept cranking away on their keyboards stopping only to ask questions. Lot of the questions were behavioural and they attempted to dig into my preparation material on Amazon and if I had studied the links provided by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Amazon is trying to build warehouses for same day delivery. Tell us what would be your criteria to determine choice of warehouse.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

normal process, submitted resume online, did phone screen with hiring manager, and went for onsite interview, met 5 people with bar raiser. Bar raiser is expected for most interviews. Bar raiser is people outside your hiring department. They will ask challenging questions.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

Have had a few phone interviews so far. Was contacted by a recruiter after applying to positions on-line. Interviewers are friendly, smart and seem to know what they are about. Interview questions are focused on gaining a clear understanding of my skills and potential.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process at Amazon is intense. For multiple management roles, I've had 7-8 interviews each time. My experiences with the people has always been positive. I've been welcomed and interviewers have been engaged and interested during the process. The questions are tough and the expectations are very high. Be prepared to get outside your comfort zone in the interviews. I appreciate that the interviews push you beyond your norm as that's what working at Amazon is like.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer drew on the dry erase board and had me work through various puzzles. He wanted to see my thought process and how I work through challenging situations - was I able to think outside the box, come up with viable solutions, etc.   Answer Question