Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – You need a good resume to begin with. Be prepared for a first couple of rounds of telephonic interviews and several face to face thereafter. On the day of face to face be mentally and physically prepared for the long day. Questions are behavioral and based on leadership principles of the company.

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. During the onsite interview, the HR recruiter greeted me, followed by back to back interviews with 2 interviews, then lunch interview with hiring manager, then another 2 interviews. Each interview was intense with all behavioral questions.

Interview Question – All the questions were behavioral...tell me about a time when....   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – two phone interviews from two different teams.

Interview Question – nothing really, not sure what they wanted, but the questions were normal.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process at Amazon is intense. For multiple management roles, I've had 7-8 interviews each time. My experiences with the people has always been positive. I've been welcomed and interviewers have been engaged and interested during the process. The questions are tough and the expectations are very high. Be prepared to get outside your comfort zone in the interviews. I appreciate that the interviews push you beyond your norm as that's what working at Amazon is like.

Interview Question – One interviewer drew on the dry erase board and had me work through various puzzles. He wanted to see my thought process and how I work through challenging situations - was I able to think outside the box, come up with viable solutions, etc.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview Details – Have had a few phone interviews so far. Was contacted by a recruiter after applying to positions on-line. Interviewers are friendly, smart and seem to know what they are about. Interview questions are focused on gaining a clear understanding of my skills and potential.

Interview Questions

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me initially to interview for a Product Manager position, emailed me a job description, and then set up a phone screen with the interviewer.

Recruiter emailed me back saying another manager had interest in my resume for a different position and wanted to talk with me before the 1st interviewer.

The interview timeslot with the first interviewer came and went without any contact form the interviewer. When I contacted the recruiter she informed me that she had cancelled the first interview so that the 2nd manager could speak with me first. We had not yet scheduled the 2nd manager's phone screen.

Recruiter was finally able to find a time with the 2nd manager. I rearranged my personal schedule to accomodate.

1 hour before the interview was scheduled to begin I received an email indicating that the interviewer had to reschedule and the new time was 5pm on a Friday afternoon. I rearranged my personal schedule again to accomodate.

The night before my interview I still had not received a job description. I contacted the recruiter and she sent me a description for a position thsimilar to one I had interviewed for previously and for which I had not been extended an offer. I contacted the recruiter again asking if the interviewer had access to the feedback from my previous set of interviews because I didn't want to waste his time or mine if I was not suited for the position.

The recruiter then contacted me again with a brand new job description that she said was the correct one.

I prepared for my interview on the basis of that job description - researched the product that the position was responsible for, identified potential areas of investment in future versions of the product to improve the experience, prepared myself with several detailed examples of results I've achieved in my current and past positions in my 15 years as a professional in the industry that demonstrate each of the qualifications that were stated in the job description. And I prepared a list of questions based on the position responsibilities and the product.

On Friday evening, the interviewer contacted me 20 minutes after we were scheduled to begin the interview. He was in a location that was filled with noise that made it difficult to hear him and was quite distracting.

The 1st question he asked was appropriate for someone fresh out of college with no prior work history or professional experience to assess. I was prepared with many examples of complex problems that I had successfully solved in my current and previous roles expecting that an interviewer seeking a senior manager would be more interested in validating my claims of experience and assessing whether or not my talents matched what they were looking for. The question the interviewer asked me was "If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, and each participant had to play games until he/she one or lost, and every game had a winner and loser, how many games would have to be played in order to determine the winner of the tournament". I was NOT expecting this type of question as my first question in a phone screen for a senior manager position that was requiring "10-15 years of professional experience and a proven track record of managing and developing people in a fast paced and dynamic start up environment". I am also not good at these types of questions, and although I eventually answered the question, it wasn't my finest moment.

He asked some additional questions that were more relevant. But when he gave me the opportunity ask my questions, he was extremely short in his responses. I asked what in his eyes made his product superior to that of his competitors, having familiarized myself with them and having my own ideas. His response was "The features" and then proceeded to question the intelligence of my question. When I asked him my next question, whether the manager role involved hiring an entire team or whether there was currently staff in place to perform some of the stated functions in the job description, and how they handled specific types of problems I would expect them to have to solve for (localized content, market-specific legal / regulatory issues) his response was "That's not the right job description. It's irrelevant".

The interview ended and I was not at all surprised when I received a call from the recruiter on Monday morning saying that the interviewer decided NOT to extend an offer to come for in person interviews.

Interview Question – If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner   View Answers (50)

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process in Amazon in very strong. There are almost 9 rounds for each level. 3 telephonic and 5-6 onsite

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – Process started with a recruiter coordinating a phone interview to screen. First call was basic with information about background on the company and the specifics of the team the position was for with a second level manager from within AWS. Second interview was setup days later with a technical team member to review technical depth of each candidate.

Great discussion and good communication throughout the process. Interview for the managers is technical after the first introduction so if you aren't a 'coding' manager or have some recent experience it may be a struggle for you.

Interview Question – First interview questions were on background and experience. (Real basic questions just getting to know you) Second interview was around fibbonacci sequence and how to develop code to compute. Last was around differences between basic data structures in object oriented languages.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Different position that I thought I was applying for. (Front line manager and was expecting more of a director level from the description). Good organization and strong spirit of innovation and technical contribution.

Very Easy Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – was contacted for a phone interview, after submitting my application through LinkedIn.

The interviewer was from a technical background, and asked me some coding questions right from the beginning. I'm not a coder, so I didn't answer them well.

I also received a few social media related questions, but the interview was more heavy on the technical side.

Negotiation Details – Sure was,

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – very long interview process

Interview Question – Reason to setup a work location   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – work profile

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!