Amazon.com Manager Interview Questions

3.4

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2011.

An Amazon HR assistant contacted me via email to set up a date/time for a 30 mins phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR manager. She was very kind, asked the right questions (not a repetition of my cv but rather my motivations, my competencies, reasons for leaving a company and for applying to the specific role etc) and in overall the interview went well and smoothly. She asked me if I had any questions as well and told me she would forward my CV to the hiring manager and then a second phone interview with him would get scheduled, if applicable. After a week of silence I contacted via email the hr assistant to ask for info/feedback. I never heard back. I was expecting at least an automated email saying 'thank you, but no thank you', but instead I was treated with absolute indifference. Disappointed but can't say I wasn't expecting it.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Have had a few phone interviews so far. Was contacted by a recruiter after applying to positions on-line. Interviewers are friendly, smart and seem to know what they are about. Interview questions are focused on gaining a clear understanding of my skills and potential.

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2010.

There was a phone interview that was mostly performance as well as behavioral questions. After passing the 45 minute phone interview it went to an on the site interview. I was shown the facility (FC). Where I than solved a math flow problem. From there I interviewed with 2 individuals. After that, I interviewed with two more employees. I was asked to explain my math problem and how i solved it. From there they made up new numbers and problems on how to solve the problem. 5 days later I was given a contract.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the offer was generous, and in one years time I could renegotiate a new contract. There was no reason to make waves in order to earn 3-4 thousand more.

Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2009.

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university and got an e-mail to set up a phone interview with one of the senior managers a month after resume drop deadline. The interview was casual and was more focused on learning more about my experiences, interests in the company and commitment to the function I was applying for. After the first phone interview, I was contacted for a second interview (with the same type of phone interview--getting to know me). The last interview, I had to fly out for an in-person interview. There was a group of 4-5 members at my panel interview and another 1:1 interview. Overall, it was a very good, not so difficult experience.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate (standard campus recruitment package)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

Recruiter contacted me initially to interview for a Product Manager position, emailed me a job description, and then set up a phone screen with the interviewer.

Recruiter emailed me back saying another manager had interest in my resume for a different position and wanted to talk with me before the 1st interviewer.

The interview timeslot with the first interviewer came and went without any contact form the interviewer. When I contacted the recruiter she informed me that she had cancelled the first interview so that the 2nd manager could speak with me first. We had not yet scheduled the 2nd manager's phone screen.

Recruiter was finally able to find a time with the 2nd manager. I rearranged my personal schedule to accomodate.

1 hour before the interview was scheduled to begin I received an email indicating that the interviewer had to reschedule and the new time was 5pm on a Friday afternoon. I rearranged my personal schedule again to accomodate.

The night before my interview I still had not received a job description. I contacted the recruiter and she sent me a description for a position thsimilar to one I had interviewed for previously and for which I had not been extended an offer. I contacted the recruiter again asking if the interviewer had access to the feedback from my previous set of interviews because I didn't want to waste his time or mine if I was not suited for the position.

The recruiter then contacted me again with a brand new job description that she said was the correct one.

I prepared for my interview on the basis of that job description - researched the product that the position was responsible for, identified potential areas of investment in future versions of the product to improve the experience, prepared myself with several detailed examples of results I've achieved in my current and past positions in my 15 years as a professional in the industry that demonstrate each of the qualifications that were stated in the job description. And I prepared a list of questions based on the position responsibilities and the product.

On Friday evening, the interviewer contacted me 20 minutes after we were scheduled to begin the interview. He was in a location that was filled with noise that made it difficult to hear him and was quite distracting.

The 1st question he asked was appropriate for someone fresh out of college with no prior work history or professional experience to assess. I was prepared with many examples of complex problems that I had successfully solved in my current and previous roles expecting that an interviewer seeking a senior manager would be more interested in validating my claims of experience and assessing whether or not my talents matched what they were looking for. The question the interviewer asked me was "If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, and each participant had to play games until he/she one or lost, and every game had a winner and loser, how many games would have to be played in order to determine the winner of the tournament". I was NOT expecting this type of question as my first question in a phone screen for a senior manager position that was requiring "10-15 years of professional experience and a proven track record of managing and developing people in a fast paced and dynamic start up environment". I am also not good at these types of questions, and although I eventually answered the question, it wasn't my finest moment.

He asked some additional questions that were more relevant. But when he gave me the opportunity ask my questions, he was extremely short in his responses. I asked what in his eyes made his product superior to that of his competitors, having familiarized myself with them and having my own ideas. His response was "The features" and then proceeded to question the intelligence of my question. When I asked him my next question, whether the manager role involved hiring an entire team or whether there was currently staff in place to perform some of the stated functions in the job description, and how they handled specific types of problems I would expect them to have to solve for (localized content, market-specific legal / regulatory issues) his response was "That's not the right job description. It's irrelevant".

The interview ended and I was not at all surprised when I received a call from the recruiter on Monday morning saying that the interviewer decided NOT to extend an offer to come for in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner   View Answers (50)