Amazon.com Marketing Interview Questions

4.0

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The process started in mid-april for a job that would start in July. The interview consisted of 3 phone calls with the marketing leads and one head of marketing. Following that, a written assignment was given.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The process was very rushed. The position was in Asia, so I converted the pay to USD and emailed the HR that it's less than the local salary, but the HR said it's quite high in the area, and hurried me to sign in order to process my visa. So, not much room for negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter several weeks later. From there, the process was very quick - 13 days from first contact until the in-house was done. Unlike others, I had a very positive, painless experience with the recruiting team. Although my process was managed by three different recruiters, everyone was polite, professional, and extremely fast at responding - I never had an e-mail go unanswered for longer than 12 hours on the outside. I had two phone screens on separate days, and four 1:1 interviews back to back on a single day in-house. Both phone screeners were with senior managers and were very conversational - only a couple "tell me about a time when..." questions, and those were dispensed with quickly in favor of more back and forth to flush out my experience. Both interviewers explored how much I knew about Amazon's products, their strategy for those products, and what considerations/improvements I had in mind. Each was very friendly and offered to answer any questions I might have not only about the company/position, but on how to succeed further in the interview track. For the in-house gauntlet, they stuck me in a conference room and had interviewers step in and out. Unlike at some other firms, the interviewers do not confer with each other between your interviews, so you will be starting fresh each time - be ready to repeat yourself some. Thankfully, my interviewers recognized that repetition was necessary and seemed to be more forgiving of fatigue-related errors as the day progressed. Most of the questions were conversational extensions of each other - my interviewers were very, very good at stringing things together, forcing me to dive deeper into my own responses. Be prepared for questions on: * Data-driven decision making and a lot of scenarios involving data. * Questions about what kind of data you would like, want, and could realistically expect. * Improvements to Amazon's existing strategies * Case questions on potential new products/services I was told to expect a response within 5 business days, and was contacted via phone exactly 5 business days later with the unofficial offer; the official packet came via e-mail 4 business days later.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies? How do you usually shop for those hobbies? How would you improve sales of products related to your hobbies on Amazon?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to change roles.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the last time you used data to inform your decision making. How did you acquire the data? If you had to make that decision again, what would you do differently? What data would you like instead?   Answer Question
    • What challenges do you think we face selling X on Amazon.com? How would you overcome those challenges?   Answer Question
    • What factors would you consider in making changes to Amazon Prime?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had other offers on the table and Amazon negotiated salary to meet & exceed them. They further increased salary in lieu of matching benefits. It may help to do the math on any benefit gaps; my other offers included better 401k matches and more paid holidays, so I calculated the value of the difference based on the proposed salary, and asked specifically for that amount. I was not able to negotiate the signing bonus, but I believe it is negotiable under the right circumstances (or if you're better at negotiating than I am).

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

Interviewed for a marketing position with Amazon.com in Seattle. I was told I would be interviewing with 6 employees, but when prompted for names or positions of the employees they didn't supply it. This made prepping for the interview difficult. The interviews were a very insightful process that took over 5 hours to complete. A bit of a marathon. Overall a challenging interview process, as should be expected from a category leading company. However the interviewers seemed to be obsessed over my Excel skills, data mining analysis capabilities or my experience with firing people. They were not interested or focused on my past experience with marketing campaigns or campaign results, which was odd for a marketing interview. When asked about work-life balance, they didn't seem to have any supporting company initiatives or corp culture to maintain work-life balance for employees. Got the impression that employees were overworked. One interviewer in particular seemed to enjoy that he was making the interview process a difficult one. Advice for other potential marketing candidates? Brush up on your Excel skills.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in January 2013.

Interview

I had four phone interviews and then a face to face interview with 5 different people (all of whom were shadowed in the interview) in less than 5 hours. The structure is meant to tire you out and test your stamina, then there was a deeply detailed interview by who others here have referred to as the Bar raiser. Also had to do a written interview and a skills test.

Interview Questions

• How did you make those decisions? What was your analysis?   1 Answer

The HR officer in charge was very militant in the offer, and barely had anything to negotiate with but then recalcitrant on responses and feedback. She also refused contact with the hiring manager. I was turned off by the process.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Bangalore (India)) in January 2012.

Interview

Totally ridiculous, cover your ass interview process. I interviewed with 7 people (one person twice). All but one over the phone. Hr person asked me exaclt two questions and was out in 5 minutes. I was desperately wanting her to ask me more questions. All (except one) of them asked the same questions again and again. By the time I had a face to face meeting I had my script down pat. Only the hiring manager had a clue what he wanted done. The other guys were going through the process. They have a case method, which they keep throwing real cases at you to see you think. The bar raiser, who is supposed to test leadership qualities, specifically testing for commit (to a view) and pushback (in effect to prevent an effort to make you retract a view), had the only decent interview style. I also had the privilege of interviewing with a trainee bar raiser (he was the first of the interviewers). You can make them out by the slightly different questions they will ask. The dotted line functional head had no clue about the position he was interviewing for. He kept asking questions which were in stark contrast of the understanding that I had with the reporting manager. All this was ok. What really pissed me off was they had English writing tests and a test of concentration (usually reserved for clerical jobs). Just went to show how little maturity was there was in the recruitment process. The process was force fitted from a technical and operations interview (given the development and support centers in India, this is not surprising) This somehow works for them and Amazon gets great people, so who am I to comment on this. For me personally, by the time I was coming to the end of the interview, I was sick of it and wanted out.

Interview Questions

From a career stand point, had I accepted I would have dropped from being a manager of managers to being an individual contributor. Most people I spoke to (high performing ex-employees) claimed that they were feeling a little stifled and wanted to leave (after the stock vested). Initially in the interview process I thought it might be a good place to go for a couple of years. Add a brand to the resume etc. But eventually I decided against a move that was decidedly short term.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

Interview

Amazon was good about setting everything up in advance but be prepared for a situation where mostly it's them deciding whether they want to hire you - there isn't much selling by anyone, including HR, in the interviews around why you should pick them. They spend a lot of time trying to determine cultural fit, even at times asking explicitly what culture you like to work in. The interviewers seem to adhere to a policy of not showing their hand so it will be hard to determine if you're doing well or not in the interview. The best advice is to be yourself, recognize they are very into analytical versus emotional and don't worry about whether you're doing well or not.

Interview Questions

• Questions about the product line of the interviewer, even if that's not what you're interviewing for - very difficult to ask a detailed question about something you didn't expect to be asked about.   2 Answers