Amazon.com Marketing Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

3.6

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

1 phone interview then flown to Seattle for a 5-hour round of interviews.

The phone interview was pretty easy and straightforward, most professionals wont have a problem here. Once you get to on-site the interviews get significantly more difficult. They will ask a lot of specific questions and ask for recommendations on how to improve specific sections of Amazon.com.

Love how fast they move, Amazon HR gets it done fast.

Most of the people interviewing me were not familiar with my area of expertise (web analytics), and were unable to answer my questions on some of the specifics on what Amazon is doing to measure certain scenarios. I was also a bit surprised that not a single interviewer from marketing knew any code, or SQL, whatsoever. Where I work now, coding is a requirement for most of the marketing team and is needed to build tools to do thorough analysis.

I did not receive an offer, but all-in-all i thought it was good experience. I probably would have accepted if given one but I have since found a higher paying position at a smaller company.

I was able to recognize the 'bar-raiser' interview and I think that part of the process may be what eliminated me. Specifically one question that I think had a debatable 'correct' answer. (included in the interview questions section).

Interview Questions
  • If you notice a drop in conversion rate on a product, what could be the cause of this?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

First phone interview was with the recruiter. Then there was the phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager on the phone lacked people skills. Some questions were not even relevant to the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you address problem X if you had not limit on the budget and resources?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online. Four phone interviews and in-person interviews with 6 people in the main Seattle office. Mostly all the interview questions were behavioral "tell me a time when you..." kind of questions. They bring in a person from a different department to ask you unexpected questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The entire process consisted of two phone screens and an in-person interview in the Seattle SLU office. Phone interviews become progressively more difficult, and the in-person interview included many of the same questions already asked.

Some tips:

1. Be prepared for a mix of both "tell me about a time when..." and achievement-based questions. Use in-depth examples, and include figures/results whenever you can. Following your initial answer, you will be asked several followup questions so also have your long answer thought out in advance. To this end, have an arsenal of past situations at work that can speak to Amazon's core principles.
    2. Put in 110% into your interview with your bar raiser - from what I hear, they hold a lot of power in the decision process and can essentially veto a candidate (please correct me if this isn't true).
    3. You will probably be asked (a couple times) about a time you have failed in a role. Speak openly, not apologetically, and be able to show that you learned something and have not repeated the same mistake.

At the end of the in-person interview, even though I was exhausted, I didn't feel that it was too taxing or difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you observed two business opportunities to improve ROI, and how did you determine they were connected?   Answer Question
    Salary and total compensation package far exceeded my expectations - did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

First interview is a phone interview where you will be ask several hypothetical questions. Base way to think about it are the case study questions from Business School. You will need to think about your answers, there will be few "easy" questions.

Interview Questions
    • How you deal with a vendors failure to deliver on large contract during the holiday season? Be specific. There will be several follow quesitions.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

There is an hr interview to start. If you pass that (which if you are somewhat qualified you should), you'll have an initial interview based on the leadership principles. A second interview will follow where you have to do a case study. If you pass both, there will be an on campus interview with 5-7 people. Expect Amazon to follow a strict process (no surprise) and be on top of everything (you won't be left wondering whether or not you will move on to the next step and what happened)

Everyone was professional just had other offers that suited me better

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Typical of what others said. To be honest it's not that hard if you are smart and know your stuff. Just be prepared and well versed in your resume, experience, and Amazon's Principles

Interview Questions
    • How would you reprice amazon prime if your goal was to greatly increase profitability   Answer Question
    Very hard to negotiate but they offered a very fair package to begin with so it was ok

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon moves rapidly and aggressively in their recruiting process. I got an email from a recruiter the same day my referral was submitted. Two days later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next day a phone interview with the skip-level manager. Next week an onsite loop. The loop consisted of five 45-minute interviews with team members and a "bar-raiser." Bar raisers are people brought in to see if a candidate's skill level exceeds that of the current team. Amazon is committed to elevating the team's performance with every hire. The loop was exhausting - rapid fire questioning with no bathroom breaks or time to take notes. I barely got any questions in of my own as interviewers were tagging in and out relay-style. I got a verbal offer by phone two days later.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you say to someone who complains about advertising on Amazon.com?"   Answer Question
    Negotiation on level and base was virtually impossible. Amazon is much more flexible with signing bonuses. Standard is 2-year contingency, with about half paid on completion of the first year of employment.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied for a similar position, but was contacted by recruiter for consideration of a new position. Following phone qualification of interest and explanation of process, a phone interview was set-up with a senior manager. Senior manager promptly called on time, reexplained process, and conducted an approximately 45 minute phone interview. Interview questions related to the specifics of the position and do not really transfer to other positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Fast process. They don't follow the "interview 4 to get 1" policy of some other huge companies. If they interview you and your credentials check out, you're in. Two phone screens, a full day of interviews, and an offer within the week.

Interview Questions
    • Amazon has at least one person in the interview schedule whose role is to stress you with rudeness, ridiculously hard questions that are out of scope, or information that makes you want to run for the door. If you really want to work there, be intelligent, thoughtful, unflappable, and right when you answer.   Answer Question
    Negotiated higher than normal salary for Amazon but ended up at the top of my level with no room to get more money within the level