Amazon.com Marketing Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2014

3.6

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

First interview is a phone interview where you will be ask several hypothetical questions. Base way to think about it are the case study questions from Business School. You will need to think about your answers, there will be few "easy" questions.

Interview Questions
  • How you deal with a vendors failure to deliver on large contract during the holiday season? Be specific. There will be several follow quesitions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Marketing Manager Interview

There is an hr interview to start. If you pass that (which if you are somewhat qualified you should), you'll have an initial interview based on the leadership principles. A second interview will follow where you have to do a case study. If you pass both, there will be an on campus interview with 5-7 people. Expect Amazon to follow a strict process (no surprise) and be on top of everything (you won't be left wondering whether or not you will move on to the next step and what happened)

Everyone was professional just had other offers that suited me better

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Typical of what others said. To be honest it's not that hard if you are smart and know your stuff. Just be prepared and well versed in your resume, experience, and Amazon's Principles

Interview Questions
    • How would you reprice amazon prime if your goal was to greatly increase profitability   Answer Question
    Very hard to negotiate but they offered a very fair package to begin with so it was ok

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon moves rapidly and aggressively in their recruiting process. I got an email from a recruiter the same day my referral was submitted. Two days later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next day a phone interview with the skip-level manager. Next week an onsite loop. The loop consisted of five 45-minute interviews with team members and a "bar-raiser." Bar raisers are people brought in to see if a candidate's skill level exceeds that of the current team. Amazon is committed to elevating the team's performance with every hire. The loop was exhausting - rapid fire questioning with no bathroom breaks or time to take notes. I barely got any questions in of my own as interviewers were tagging in and out relay-style. I got a verbal offer by phone two days later.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you say to someone who complains about advertising on Amazon.com?"   Answer Question
    Negotiation on level and base was virtually impossible. Amazon is much more flexible with signing bonuses. Standard is 2-year contingency, with about half paid on completion of the first year of employment.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied for a similar position, but was contacted by recruiter for consideration of a new position. Following phone qualification of interest and explanation of process, a phone interview was set-up with a senior manager. Senior manager promptly called on time, reexplained process, and conducted an approximately 45 minute phone interview. Interview questions related to the specifics of the position and do not really transfer to other positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2010.

you have to be the master of your own interview process otherwise it can take forever. they initially lost my application (was in the queue of someone in HR who had left the company). i reached out through my network until i found someone at amazon who was willing to drop HR a note and then the process went fast because i told them i had other offers on the table. they usually do 2 phone screens + a full day in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions were smart - my advice would be to go in after you've reviewed/thought about the projects you want to discuss in fine detail.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Very in-depth questions about my marketing background. No original phone screening, met directly with hiring manager (instead of HR first). Knew quickly the job wasn't a good fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

They are slow to move, had 2 phone interviews then asked to come in for a full day of meetings.
    Then was called back for another round.
    Some were great interviewers and some were not. No one seemed to talk to each other to ask different questions, found myself repeating myself multiple times in each interview as they asked the same questions.
     Many were very anti Microsoft and they stated repeatedly that they were not like it at all and then complained about their own personal experiences with Microsoft, I found it very unprofressional, as I clearly knew that I was interviewing at Amazon and not Microsoft!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Interviewed with a director for the marketing role, who did not find me a good fit for his requirement, but graciously put me in touch with another guy whose team was looking. Hiring manager was perpetually on leave, and I didnt hear back for more than a month after that.
    Amazon restarted the process, when the manager was back. I had 3 phone interviews. One with the manager was great, other with a technical guy was good. There was one interview with a product manager, which was a complete waste of time. He was reading questions from a question bank (a friend told me about it) and asking very open ended, irrelevant questions (i.e. Describe a time when you lead a software development project - I have never ever led one, and I was interviewing for marketing role; Do you trust data? ; How do you manage, etc)
    I was called for on-site interview. Scheduling, etc was great after that. Interview experience was good. I interviewed with people. They have a set of questions, and each interviewer focuses on one particular question the most. Its best to keep different stories for different interviewers, and present a well rounded picture.
    From what I understood, Amazon hires MBAs for two type of roles: superstars and grunt workers. I know mine was a grunt role. Its a no-frills work environment (you have to pay for soda, no cafe in office, etc), and they work the employees like asses.
    It may be a great company, but not essentially for employees, especially those who are joining now.

They offered a contract position to me, and not a full time. It still stumps me why they wd do that.... Seems they didnt like me, but needed what I could offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

I applied online & received a call from a recruiter who scheduled a phone call with someone who would be a peer. The call happened in a little less then a week. The interviewer was pleasant, professional, and had a sense of humor. The next day I received an email from the recruiter and another call was setup with another (more senior) peer. The second interviewer was also professional and very to the point.

Both interviews lasted 1 hour and had an identical structure. The questions are to test your knowledge of the ecommerce business & marketing strategies, both asked why you want to work at Amazon & this team. Both asked case questions specific to the position.

The interview was a little intense (question after question after question), but it was very good practice. I can’t say anything negative about the team.

NOTE: The recruiter was not accommodating or helpful. I would ask questions in an email and receive a standardizes reply that would ignore all my questions.

Interview Questions
    • You said you did xyz on your resume. How do you know this was successful? If you keep going with this strategy how will you be able to determine if this is no longer a successful strategy & you need to shift gears?   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!