Amazon.com

Employer Engaged

Amazon.com Merchandising Specialist Interview Questions

4.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had 7 interviews, one was just with HR, and another one was just a test for writing. The other 5 were 45 minutes long and one was with what they called a bar-raiser. Someone who is put there to ensure you don't get the job.

Interview Questions
  • Bar raiser was by far the most difficult all around, because there is no way to really prepare and the question asked after the small talk about the position and your prior experience, seems completely irrelevant to the position. And as nerves are already high, it is frustrating because of course you want to give an answer that will get you hired, but at the sane time it's hard if you don't understand what they are asking for. An example is like estimate how many trees there are in Washington state, or tell me the best way to get home from these two routes. And of course you can't ask for more information and if you try to add information you may be told it's irrelevant. I would suggest really relaxing and try to understand what they are really trying to gain from asking such strange off topic questions.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2010.

Two 30 minute phone interviews led to an in house interview at the Amazon HQ in Seattle.

The Seattle interview began with a written exercise to write descriptions and blurbs for various Amazon products. The exercise also included a section to re-write and correct grammar in 3 product descriptions. The difficultly of the grammar section was in line with high school level understanding, not hard but might make some think twice before writing down answers.

Interview process also included 5 one on one interviews and a group lunch with other candidates interviewing for the job. Overall the interview questions were exactly in line with what others have reported on glassdoor and there were no surprises (except the 20th century style writing exercise). Everyone was incredibly welcoming and friendly, even the bar raiser was at worst professional.

The position was a new one for the group and as of Jan 2011 it still had not been filled. Looking back at the interview process i am unable to determine why interviewing did not result in an offer. Given that the position was still open in January and based on differing descriptions of the role from the interviewers i think the group may have had varying ideas on the best way to staff the position.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to advise a vendor to select one of two things, A or B, which would you advise them to select and why?   Answer Question
    • You have a limited amount of onsite warehouse space (approx. equal to the size of a 2 car garage), which can not hold 1 each of everything in your product catalog (example: product catalog contains kitchen items from ovens to toasters to spatulas). Whatever does not fit in the onsite space is stored in a 2nd further away facility. How would you decide to stock your onsite warehouse, what would you put in it?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

I completed a phone interview with a Hiring Manager yesterday. I submitted my resume the first week of July, and was contacted by HR three weeks later.

The phone interview took 45 minutes. The questions were either interview standards (strengths, weakness, tell me about a time you failed in your career), or situational, e.g. what would you tell a client if their product sales fell off? There was a strong emphasis on metrics and merchandising practice. However, my background is in administration and client management, so my answers would have sounded inexpert, albeit well-intentioned. The HM was pleasant and answered all of my questions, but he hadn't seen my resume before the interview and was not able to exactly communicate the nature of the position. He was definitely reading from a script.

The next step is a second phone interview, followed by an all-day interview if I continue to progress. The HM told me to contact HR if I haven't heard anything by next week.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2010.

Three different phone interviews with many repeated questions. They are testing for behavioral and situational skills or consistency. Be wary of overreaching or trying to impress. These people think very highly of themselves.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

After applying for the position, it took three months for them to contact me about interviewing. I did two phone interviews, and then an all day in-person interview in just a few days. Then they jerked me around for weeks, and then told me no on a Friday afternoon. I was given no reasons, and the HR rep really took an effort to make it sound like I was wasting her valuable time.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think the cost for an Amazon Prime account was decided?   Answer Question