Amazon.com

Updated Feb 13, 2015

4.1

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

I was contacted via Linked in for an invitation only recruiting event. They are looking for network engineers. After giving some preliminary information I was set up for a technical phone screen. I was told it it would be a technically in-depth interview. The interviewer called me right on time and reviewed with me who he was and why he was calling. He started out with 3 very standard interview questions like "tell me about a time when you had a difficult issue and how you worked thru it".

After these standard question the technical interview started. I was asked 5 to 7 questions that seemed to be taken straight from a CCNA or CCNP exam. For example one of the questions was "explain how a MAC address forwarding table works.

I asked how other interviews have been and he told me he wasn't sure how he got picked to interview but he thought it was pretty random that he was picked.

So, my interviewer was inexperienced at giving interviews.

Interview Questions
  • - Explain how OSPF decides how to forward traffic.
    - What is the difference between iBGP and eBGP and describe the issues with each
    - If you have mismatched native vlan on a trunk will the trunk work? Explain what happens in the protocol that determines its behavior when the native vlan is mismatched.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Network Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in august 2014.

People taking interview were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions
    • 2 phone screens and brought to onsite. Interview questions are very in-depth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Initial phone interview went well, followed by onsite 5 rigorous interviews. They dig into technical and scenario based questions.

Network Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

2 phone screens and brought to onsite. Interview questions are very in-depth.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Initial phone interview which went well. Called for in person interview.
    Team hiring manger was in Dublin. Interview conducted both in person and long distance via phone.
    Interview went well.
    Never spoke to HR
    Sent email asking for follow up and got no reply.
    Recruiter and I attempted to get some type of information multiple times and neither of us ever received a call or email.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2011.

Interview process was very thorough... must have spoken with at least 12 different people.

Original position I applied for was not best suited for me, but they quickly realized other needs I could fill, and redirected me towards those needs, rather than ending the process at that point.

Interview Questions
    • without being too specific, because of NDA, the engineering questions were the type of questions that only someone with a CCIE would most likely be able to answer   Answer Question

position offered was not the direction I wanted to go professionally.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2009.

The interview process consisted of three phone interviews and an all day session of 7 consecutive in-person interviews. The in-person interviews were done by HR, the hiring manager (lunch interview) and five 45 minute technicla inerviews by various team members.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to priovide an example where the use of IP Selective ACK would be used and why   View Answer

Base salary was low, and large amounts of travel were involved.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2009.

There was 2 phone interveews. After that the recruiter told me there were not interesting. First phone interveew - very junioer person. Asked me lot of questions about things not written anyvere on my resume. It was boring after while to say - no I dont know. I not think they will call me agein. Recruiter sent email that there will be 2nd interveew. This person ask interesting question. Ask me to design complicated database application. I have no problem. He also ask me trick question I dont know answer to. He was nice - tell me not my fault. At the end recruiter call me and tell me he dont want to call me in for interveew. I dont know what they look for and not find.

Interview Questions
    • how to design database for company like fandango - change movies regularly, have different show times per date etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2007.

Amazon.com has a rigorous interview process. The whole process consisted of 3 phone interviews, where we went over things like path mtu discovery and the tcp state transition diagram. The in-person interview performed onsite in Seattle was rigorous and was partially a panel interview process, and partially one-on-one. The panel consisted of more TCP questions and network management/troubleshooting questions. I got the feeling that they did a lot of TCP debugging.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the various transitions encompassed in the TCP state transition diagram.   Answer Question
    • Describe the path-mtu discovery algorithm.   Answer Question

Amazon seems like a great company to work for, I declined it because I was interviewing and eventually accepted an offer from another company.

People taking interview were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was good and make sure you have good understanding of TCP/IP and routing protocols.   Answer Question