Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Online Merchandiser Interview

Online Merchandiser
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication - email from HR to set up first phone interview with the hiring manager. Straight-forward, prompt response, organized.

WARNING SIGN - Job description clearly had been copy and pasted from a different open req to this one since the category I was contacted about did not match the category in the job description itself.

1st phone interview - Chatted with the hiring manager for about an hour. Questions were geared around my experience from job to job, no behavioral / situation-type questions. It was pretty straight-forward as far as interviews go and most importantly, the hiring manager seemed nice and pleasant to potentially work with.

2nd phone interview - Multiple warning signs:
1. Interviewer was more than 15 minutes late to call.
2. About 10 minutes in, interviewer had to hang up, find another conference room and call me back.
3. Behavioral / Situation questions were vague, seemingly relevant to actual job but not really. For example -
a. Say you were running an A/B test for an email campaign, what would you want to know?
REALLY? How about some background info like, WHY are we running this test, WHAT are the goals of it, WHAT is the target demographic, WHAT is the strategy behind email programs in general. Without the basics, how can ANYONE determine what "things" to look for and/or know?
b. How do you go about prioritizing projects given limited resources?
Apparently my reply about aligning with department or company goals wasn't sufficient because the interviewer then asked "Say the projects didn't support any larger goals"
My reply - THEN WHY ARE THESE PROJECTS EVEN ON THE TABLE AND UP FOR DISCUSSION?

Attitude of interviewer was condescending and patronizing when I replied to her question with a question. While that may be frustrating for the interviewer, it's frustrating for the interviewee since for me, I don't make up some BS that sounds good when truly that's not how I would go about solving problems on the job.

While I haven't heard back yet from Amazon, I do not want to pursue this either way.

My advice - Don't expect any interview questions to be relevant to the actual job you'll be doing.

Interview Questions

• Say you were running an A/B test for an email campaign, what would you want to know?   View Answers (2)
  • How do you go about prioritizing projects given limited resources?
      View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!