Amazon.com

Updated Feb 28, 2015
Updated Feb 28, 2015

3.5

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Very long interview process. 5 interviews in a row. First interview asks math questions. Questions are often geared to trip you up. I was well prepared, but the entire culture of the place didn't seem right. From the very start it seemed artificial. Furthermore, it was very prison like. There is a security gate where you go through a metal detector. There are no cell phones or any other devices allowed in the building. No places for employees to break. The day started out with me observing a "pep rally".

I was ready for the interview, I thought I had good rapport, but in the end I thought even if I was offered a position, I might be reluctant to take it. I have spoken to many people who all have reported from worker to management, it is run like a sweatshop.

Interview Questions
  • In what way did you invent a new process or procedure to improve your last company or organization?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Phone interview less than 30 min, have been invited to personal interview. Questions in line with amazon principles, basic math flow question that you have to answer while interviewer waits. I had three questions, got the initial math question correct and follow up math question as well. Interviewer was pleasant and personable.

Anonymous Employee in Phoneton, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Phoneton, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Started out by asking me to walk the interviewer through my resume. The key point here is that because I did not include dates to correspond with my very extensive work experience the interviewer was clearly trying to determine my age. Sad but true. He never specifically asked my age. I believe that when he decided I was older than the "typical" applicant the remainder of the interview was more of an exercise in courtesy. There was a distinct change in the tone and tenor of the interview from this point on. I was well prepared and qualified. I have not yet received a response either negative or positive at this time.

Interview Questions
    • What Amazon coorporate leadership principals did I feel most matched my person, my work experience and why. The list is on their site.
      Asked what I knew about the company culture.
      They asked probing questions trying to determine how you would handle a particular glitch in the process or activity . Looking for you thought process.
      Stressed safety first.
      Can you give me an example of a time you improved a process. Then explain.

Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Conducted the phone interview process and it is pretty straight forward. The ask you about yourself and your qualification. They ask you to explain why you would be a good fit for the company and what you will bring to the team. They ask you a mth flow question because this job is about logistics and number are important.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to answer the math question in a reasonable time   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Classic few phone interviews and then an in person interview with four separate interviewers consisting of 45 minutes maximum each at a facility. Fairly straight forward and simple. An understanding of mathematics is helpful; however, if you can explain how you would go about the answer that is also helpful.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Very positive, good STAR questions. Do your homework and it will make it easier. Other reviews said there was a math portion, I didn't have one. Know a little about the people you meet, know a lot about the culture.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions were the old, tell me time. So practice, and say them out loud so you know what you sound like.   Answer Question

Operation Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Conducted a phone interview with an HR personnel - 30 min interview mainly; questions: tell me about yourself, how do you motivate employees.
    Phone interview with the site managers / Operation Leaders - all situational questions - learn the leadership principles and be ready with examples that would demonstrate how you are applying them at work. This is very important for Amazon, it is more important to have the culture fit than years of experience.
    Example of questions: tell me about a time when you got your employees engaged, most recent failure, responsible for performance of non-direct employees, time when you exceed expectations, example for bias for action, deep dive analysis on data, example of a metric that identified need for a change, etc.
    You would then be invited to an on-site interview where you would have 4-5 back to back interviews (45 min each) with direct manager, colleague, cross-functional colleague (for example quality or finance), HR personnel (who would mainly ask team management questions). They ask different questions still all around situational and behavioral questions that would demonstrate the leadership principles.

It is important to prepare questions to ask the interviewees - these need to be smart, and indicate that you have done your homework and understand the job and what it requires. Have questions for each of the interviewee (max 3 questions), make sure they are different and relate to the person you are interviewing with. For example, ask about what are the measures for success for this role, what are the challenges they are facing, etc.

You would be asked to submit before the on-site interview a written interview (a simple question that you would need to answer in 3-4 pages)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were bias for action (At the time I did not go through the leadership principles thoroughly and I didn't understand what he meant)   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Was recommended by a friend. Soon after the recommendation, I received an email asking when would be convenient for a phone interview. A few days later, the phone interview occurred and I was asked standard STAR based questions.

About a month later I was invited for an in person interview. It takes place at a fulfillment center. It's a 5hr process. 1hr to tour the facilities and then 4 1hr interviews. The environment is very relaxed. Everyone in polos and jeans. If you wear a suit to this interview, you will be extremely overdressed.

One of those interviews is based on a math flow question. Pretty straight forward but I can see how people can make mistakes on this one. Check online before you go to get a feel for what the question could look like. Also before you arrive, they send you two questions. You have to answer one of them and send in to the recruiter before your interview date. Make sure you think of an answer for the other one and be prepared to talk about it during the interview. Also read over Amazon's leadership principles and be prepared to talk about which ones you align with the most and why.

After all the interviews, they instructed all of us that we would hear back by the next week.

Interview Questions
    • What leadership principle did I find most important?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. Offer was substantial. And I took it.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

After a former boss referred/submitted my resume via the Amazon employee referral program, I was contacted via e-mail to schedule a telephone interview and was advised a math flow question would be part of the interview. About a week later, the recruiter called, introduced herself, and explained a bit about Amazon and the position to which I had applied. Following the brief background information, she began her question starting with 2 math flow problems. She even gave me a hint to help out. The questions were something like, "If you have x number of employees, working y hours, packing boxes at a rate of z boxes per hour, how many boxes can they pack in a week? After successfully navigating the math flow questions, she began asking behavioral questions ... "Why Amazon?" "Have you ever used metrics?" "Can you give me an example of a time you improved a process? Can you give me some metrics to back it up?" "Give me an example of a time you had to resolve a problem with someone who worked for you" ... etc.

The questions were very straightforward and the interview went well. After she was done asking questions, she gave me a chance to ask questions and I did. My final question was, "Do you have any concerns regarding my qualifications for this position?" She told me she thought I was a great candidate and wanted to know if I was available for an onsite interview in Kentucky. I told her I was. Later, she e-mailed me some prep materials and the Amazon travel coordinator arranged my airfare, lodging, and rental car. I was told I would be interviewed by four different people, to include an HR rep, and one who would give me more math.

The day of the onsite interview, there were three other candidates. Two of them were applying for the same position at the same location to which I had applied. The other was applying for a different position at a different location. We started with a tour of the facility and were encouraged to ask questions. When the tour was over, we were taken to a small conference room and asked to fill out some paperwork. They wanted to know our geographic preferences, previous salary, etc. We were then given calculators and had 15-20 minutes to fill out a math flow sheet. This sheet was used later during the math portion of our interview.

After completing the math worksheet, the interviewers came to the conference room and escorted us individually to their respective areas for our interviews. I interviewed with the HR rep first, then the general manager, then the math guy/senior operations manager, then another senior operations manager. I was escorted back to the conference room after each interview and waited for my next interviewer to get me. Each interview took about 45 minutes. There were no strange questions. All the interviewers were very down to earth and personable. Other than the math, there were no curve balls, and one could argue that the math was straightforward as well. During the math interview, I was asked to walk up to the whiteboard and explain how I arrived at my answers on the worksheet. The interviewer wanted to see how I think. After I finished, he changed the parameters of the original problem and wanted me to solve it and explain my thinking as I want along. After completing the second iteration, he change the parameters again and asked me solve and explain as before. I eventually arrived at the correct solution, although I made a couple very basic errors along the way. I think my interviewer even got mad at me! Regardless, I finished that portion and then went for the final interview.

There was a 10-15 minute break after the second or third interview. After completing all the interviews, the recruiter, who was our "hostess/chaperon" throughout the process, gave us the timeline and answered any additional questions we had. She said we would hear from them sometime the following week (my onsite interview was on a Thursday), one way or the other. The next week, I received an e-mail indicating Amazon would not be moving me forward in the interview process. I was given no reason for the decision (which I've heard is the industry standard.)

Interview Questions
    • Everything was very straightforward. While there were several questions asked to which I hadn't already rehearsed answers, they were all questions one could reasonably expect in a job interview.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

I applied the position through university recruiting process. There were two rounds of interviews. Two 30 minutes interviews in each round. Because it was on-campus interview, it was really efficient. First round on Monday, second round on Tuesday, and got the offer on Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions but each of the question was drilling very deep. For example, I was asked to elaborated on a statistical model I built up for my former company to predict inventory level. And I was surprised to get the very detailed follow-up questions such as "what were the risks of using this model?" "what were the data sources you used?" "what were the confidence level of the model?." Otherwise, the other questions were fairly common.   View Answer