Amazon.com

Updated Jan 7, 2015

3.5

75 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Conducted the phone interview process and it is pretty straight forward. The ask you about yourself and your qualification. They ask you to explain why you would be a good fit for the company and what you will bring to the team. They ask you a mth flow question because this job is about logistics and number are important.

Interview Questions
  • Trying to answer the math question in a reasonable time   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Operation Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Conducted a phone interview with an HR personnel - 30 min interview mainly; questions: tell me about yourself, how do you motivate employees.
    Phone interview with the site managers / Operation Leaders - all situational questions - learn the leadership principles and be ready with examples that would demonstrate how you are applying them at work. This is very important for Amazon, it is more important to have the culture fit than years of experience.
    Example of questions: tell me about a time when you got your employees engaged, most recent failure, responsible for performance of non-direct employees, time when you exceed expectations, example for bias for action, deep dive analysis on data, example of a metric that identified need for a change, etc.
    You would then be invited to an on-site interview where you would have 4-5 back to back interviews (45 min each) with direct manager, colleague, cross-functional colleague (for example quality or finance), HR personnel (who would mainly ask team management questions). They ask different questions still all around situational and behavioral questions that would demonstrate the leadership principles.

It is important to prepare questions to ask the interviewees - these need to be smart, and indicate that you have done your homework and understand the job and what it requires. Have questions for each of the interviewee (max 3 questions), make sure they are different and relate to the person you are interviewing with. For example, ask about what are the measures for success for this role, what are the challenges they are facing, etc.

You would be asked to submit before the on-site interview a written interview (a simple question that you would need to answer in 3-4 pages)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were bias for action (At the time I did not go through the leadership principles thoroughly and I didn't understand what he meant)   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Was recommended by a friend. Soon after the recommendation, I received an email asking when would be convenient for a phone interview. A few days later, the phone interview occurred and I was asked standard STAR based questions.

About a month later I was invited for an in person interview. It takes place at a fulfillment center. It's a 5hr process. 1hr to tour the facilities and then 4 1hr interviews. The environment is very relaxed. Everyone in polos and jeans. If you wear a suit to this interview, you will be extremely overdressed.

One of those interviews is based on a math flow question. Pretty straight forward but I can see how people can make mistakes on this one. Check online before you go to get a feel for what the question could look like. Also before you arrive, they send you two questions. You have to answer one of them and send in to the recruiter before your interview date. Make sure you think of an answer for the other one and be prepared to talk about it during the interview. Also read over Amazon's leadership principles and be prepared to talk about which ones you align with the most and why.

After all the interviews, they instructed all of us that we would hear back by the next week.

Interview Questions
    • What leadership principle did I find most important?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. Offer was substantial. And I took it.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

After a former boss referred/submitted my resume via the Amazon employee referral program, I was contacted via e-mail to schedule a telephone interview and was advised a math flow question would be part of the interview. About a week later, the recruiter called, introduced herself, and explained a bit about Amazon and the position to which I had applied. Following the brief background information, she began her question starting with 2 math flow problems. She even gave me a hint to help out. The questions were something like, "If you have x number of employees, working y hours, packing boxes at a rate of z boxes per hour, how many boxes can they pack in a week? After successfully navigating the math flow questions, she began asking behavioral questions ... "Why Amazon?" "Have you ever used metrics?" "Can you give me an example of a time you improved a process? Can you give me some metrics to back it up?" "Give me an example of a time you had to resolve a problem with someone who worked for you" ... etc.

The questions were very straightforward and the interview went well. After she was done asking questions, she gave me a chance to ask questions and I did. My final question was, "Do you have any concerns regarding my qualifications for this position?" She told me she thought I was a great candidate and wanted to know if I was available for an onsite interview in Kentucky. I told her I was. Later, she e-mailed me some prep materials and the Amazon travel coordinator arranged my airfare, lodging, and rental car. I was told I would be interviewed by four different people, to include an HR rep, and one who would give me more math.

The day of the onsite interview, there were three other candidates. Two of them were applying for the same position at the same location to which I had applied. The other was applying for a different position at a different location. We started with a tour of the facility and were encouraged to ask questions. When the tour was over, we were taken to a small conference room and asked to fill out some paperwork. They wanted to know our geographic preferences, previous salary, etc. We were then given calculators and had 15-20 minutes to fill out a math flow sheet. This sheet was used later during the math portion of our interview.

After completing the math worksheet, the interviewers came to the conference room and escorted us individually to their respective areas for our interviews. I interviewed with the HR rep first, then the general manager, then the math guy/senior operations manager, then another senior operations manager. I was escorted back to the conference room after each interview and waited for my next interviewer to get me. Each interview took about 45 minutes. There were no strange questions. All the interviewers were very down to earth and personable. Other than the math, there were no curve balls, and one could argue that the math was straightforward as well. During the math interview, I was asked to walk up to the whiteboard and explain how I arrived at my answers on the worksheet. The interviewer wanted to see how I think. After I finished, he changed the parameters of the original problem and wanted me to solve it and explain my thinking as I want along. After completing the second iteration, he change the parameters again and asked me solve and explain as before. I eventually arrived at the correct solution, although I made a couple very basic errors along the way. I think my interviewer even got mad at me! Regardless, I finished that portion and then went for the final interview.

There was a 10-15 minute break after the second or third interview. After completing all the interviews, the recruiter, who was our "hostess/chaperon" throughout the process, gave us the timeline and answered any additional questions we had. She said we would hear from them sometime the following week (my onsite interview was on a Thursday), one way or the other. The next week, I received an e-mail indicating Amazon would not be moving me forward in the interview process. I was given no reason for the decision (which I've heard is the industry standard.)

Interview Questions
    • Everything was very straightforward. While there were several questions asked to which I hadn't already rehearsed answers, they were all questions one could reasonably expect in a job interview.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

I applied the position through university recruiting process. There were two rounds of interviews. Two 30 minutes interviews in each round. Because it was on-campus interview, it was really efficient. First round on Monday, second round on Tuesday, and got the offer on Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions but each of the question was drilling very deep. For example, I was asked to elaborated on a statistical model I built up for my former company to predict inventory level. And I was surprised to get the very detailed follow-up questions such as "what were the risks of using this model?" "what were the data sources you used?" "what were the confidence level of the model?." Otherwise, the other questions were fairly common.   View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The interview process was very causal and comfortable. Basic questions about personal experience and related to the resume were asked. The atmosphere in the office was very causal, everyone was dress business causal (slacks, polos) and it seemed to be very fast pasted.

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with the possibility of not meeting a deadline/metrics.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I am still early (and hopefully will continue) in the process. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume. I did see them at a job fair, but didn't talk to them at the time as I didn't think I was moving to a location where they have a DC.
    The recruiter sent me an email questionnaire with basic questions (which others have described).
    I didn't think I would hear back from them after a week or 10 days went by, but then I got an email about a day and time for a phone interview.

What I did appreciate was the phone interview was with the Sr. Ops Manager at the location I wanted to work at. From what I have read, this isn't the normal experience.

The phone interview lasted about 45 min.
    First she told me about herself, and her career with Amazon.
    Then she asked me to walk her through my resume.
    Next, she talked about the Amazon leadership principles and said the rest of the interview would be based on 3 of these with one math problem.
    The questions were all behavioral (give me an example of a time when...) and related to the Amazon leadership principles of Teach, Think, and Deliver. There are more principles, but those were the 3 that I was asked to speak to.
    After that, she asked me to solve a production output problem. (Also on here in a previous review).

As others have stated, it was very script based and she stuck to her part. There were a couple time where she asked me to explain something a little deeper.

Oh, she also did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses and specifics about how many people I have had to lead in past positions.

Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well. She said I'd hear from the recruiter in 2-3 days (one way or the other), and although I haven't heard anything yet...based on the previous response time I don't think that means anything. It's been 5 business days...and I will contact the recruiter tomorrow and will update this appropriately.

**UPDATE**

After my phone interview, I waited about a week (or 10 days) and then heard from the recruiter that I had been invited to an in-person on-site interview. I was invited out to a regional event. There were 16 people there 8 in the AM and 8 in the PM. We were all interviewing for area manager but not all at the same location. Also, there are several Area managers per shift and several shifts...so your not exactly competing against everyone there. Maybe a few, but not all.

The on-site interview included travel to the location. Security it tight, so be early. We also got a tour of the facility. It was VERY impressive to see.

The process began with a math production flow problem. (If you look at other posts, you will find it). Be sure to understand the problem since in one interview they will change something in the problem and ask you for the new answer.

There are 4 (45 min) interviews with 4 different people. Mine were 3 Sr. Ops Managers and 1 HR manager.

Mine ended up back-to back - to back - to back.... to 3 hrs straight. Most of the others had short breaks in between.

All the interviewers were really nice, gave a bit about their backgrounds and left time to answer questions.
    All questions were to be answered in the STAR format. I didn't follow the format too formally, just told stories that covered the elements. All questions are related to Amazon leadership principles in some way. Just think about what principle the question is asking about. I prepared 2-3 stories (examples) that related to each. That way I had plenty to talk about for 3 hours. I did use some of the same examples in multiple interviews...but not many.

It is important to be able to use quantifiable results in your examples.

Overall, I left feeling pretty good about the interview. I received a call the next day from the recruiter letting my know that they were going to offer me a position. About a week later, I received the formal offer letter. The offer was about what I was expecting. Base salary + bonus + stock. The numbers were about what I thought they would be bases on my research and initial conversations.

Ultimately, I declined the offer for another position. Nothing against Amazon, but I choose another career path outside of operations.
    It was a good experience, but fairly difficult interview process. If I hadn't have received a second offer while still considering the Amazon offer, I would have accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • (Unexpected) Role play during in-person interview:
      You have an at-will associate who is constantly late and is under performing. This is their last chance to turn things around. What do you say to them to motivate them?

Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Interview Process was very difficult if you are not prepared. All of the questions are behavioral based which require detailed answers based on the STAR method. Prior to this interview, I had never heard of the STAR method. Typical questions, Tell me a time when....

Interview Questions
    • During the initial phone interview, I was caught off guard when I was asked to work a math problem.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Submitted an application via the website and heard nothing for three weeks. Contacted every Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn that I could find and got no response. Went to a virtual career fair and chatted with a recruiter. That recruiter looked me up in the system and told me someone would be contacting me and to watch my email like a hawk. I did so and finally got a questionnaire. Conducted a phone interview and was told I would hear something in the near future but it has not happened since the interview a week and a half ago. Recommend looking at math questions found on Glassdoor. I thought it went well but I guess we'll see...

Interview Questions
    • How do you develop your team? Really no questions were overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Quick process. Meeting recruiter at hiring fair. Received an email about 2 weeks later to set-up phone interview. Interview was with a Senior Operations Manager and really just served to see if Amazon was a fit. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Ask a few work flow questions. Must admit (and was told) that my logic was spot on, but the actual math was a touch off. Just be ready.   Answer Question