Amazon.com Operations Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

68 interviews

3.5

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Manager Interview

Interview Process was very difficult if you are not prepared. All of the questions are behavioral based which require detailed answers based on the STAR method. Prior to this interview, I had never heard of the STAR method. Typical questions, Tell me a time when....

Interview Questions
  • During the initial phone interview, I was caught off guard when I was asked to work a math problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I am still early (and hopefully will continue) in the process. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume. I did see them at a job fair, but didn't talk to them at the time as I didn't think I was moving to a location where they have a DC.
    The recruiter sent me an email questionnaire with basic questions (which others have described).
    I didn't think I would hear back from them after a week or 10 days went by, but then I got an email about a day and time for a phone interview.

What I did appreciate was the phone interview was with the Sr. Ops Manager at the location I wanted to work at. From what I have read, this isn't the normal experience.

The phone interview lasted about 45 min.
    First she told me about herself, and her career with Amazon.
    Then she asked me to walk her through my resume.
    Next, she talked about the Amazon leadership principles and said the rest of the interview would be based on 3 of these with one math problem.
    The questions were all behavioral (give me an example of a time when...) and related to the Amazon leadership principles of Teach, Think, and Deliver. There are more principles, but those were the 3 that I was asked to speak to.
    After that, she asked me to solve a production output problem. (Also on here in a previous review).

As others have stated, it was very script based and she stuck to her part. There were a couple time where she asked me to explain something a little deeper.

Oh, she also did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses and specifics about how many people I have had to lead in past positions.

Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well. She said I'd hear from the recruiter in 2-3 days (one way or the other), and although I haven't heard anything yet...based on the previous response time I don't think that means anything. It's been 5 business days...and I will contact the recruiter tomorrow and will update this appropriately.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult per say... but she did ask if I would be willing to relocate in the future. After I asked her about career progression, and she asked me about relocation (in the future) it seems that if you want to move up, you have to move around.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I reached out to an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn and the process moved quickly from there. Within a weeks time, I had a phone interview with a senior operations manager and a week later an onsite interview with the entire FC team (GM, HRM, SOM, OM).

The interview started with a building flow equation which you can find here on glassdoor. This was later discussed during my 4th interview of the day during which we also discussed a prepared essay regarding an innovative solution I implemented during my career.

The first 3 interviews were spent speaking to behavioral based questions that dug into my inherent strengths as a leader. Amazon interviewers do an excellent job of staying objective and getting to the root of each question to ensure the story is based in facts.

It was exactly one week after the interview that I was offered the position. The package came a day later via email and followed up with a call.

All-in-all it was a very quick and efficient process. I was pleasantly Given that giant mission, Amazon has decided to continue to invest to arm itself for a much larger scale of business. If it were purely a software business, its fixed cost investments for this journey would be lower, but the amount of capital required to grow a business that has to ship millions of packages to customers all over the world quickly is something only a handful of companies in the world could even afford. Joey Chestnut doesn't just wake up one day and win the Coney Island hot dog eating contest every year, he has to spend months of training to prepare his digestive system for the feat.

All-in-all I was pleasantly surprised given some of the poor experiences other professionals have had on this site with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you go about engaging a team and the process you used to do so.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Very Tough. 5 hr pod. 4 different interviews, each 50 mins. Use the STAR method of interviewing. They drill down to get the details to verify the story

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with little data. How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

The process is very structured. It is a POD setting with managers from all over the network participating. You may or may not be meeting with the people that you will eventually work with. You will be in a room with other candidates, who will be interviewing at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • You will be expected to provide detailed summaries of how you have solved problems in the past. You will be expected to solve a series of math problems.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Quick process. Meeting recruiter at hiring fair. Received an email about 2 weeks later to set-up phone interview. Interview was with a Senior Operations Manager and really just served to see if Amazon was a fit. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Ask a few work flow questions. Must admit (and was told) that my logic was spot on, but the actual math was a touch off. Just be ready.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Submitted an application via the website and heard nothing for three weeks. Contacted every Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn that I could find and got no response. Went to a virtual career fair and chatted with a recruiter. That recruiter looked me up in the system and told me someone would be contacting me and to watch my email like a hawk. I did so and finally got a questionnaire. Conducted a phone interview and was told I would hear something in the near future but it has not happened since the interview a week and a half ago. Recommend looking at math questions found on Glassdoor. I thought it went well but I guess we'll see...

Interview Questions
    • How do you develop your team? Really no questions were overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Four individual interviews with 2 Operations Managers, 1 HR Manager and 1 General Manager. Review of resume, description of professional situations in which I disciplined....suggested....mentored...initiated...directed...
    One interview reviews previously emailed case study questions as well as math process flow questions given that morning. Flow examples on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you objected strongly in a given situation and had to stick to your guns.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Hiring process was very systematic, it started with telephonic interview, after clearing your telephonic, you will be called for the final rounds of interviews. Telephonic interview will be judge your expectation in terms of salary and position and final interview will be a mix of technical and behavioral interview. Interviewer in the final round will try to change the situations and ask you for your decision and past examples, the way you have handled the situations.

Interview Questions
    • You have to explain each answer in the format of STAR, i.e. situation, task, action and result. The interviewer expect you to follow the same pattern for every answer.   Answer Question
    1. They will ask you, your expectation and i got the fare overall package. There was no negotiation. I think the package designed for each category is fixed and there is little room to change that.

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

With all my experience in the transportation and logistics field, they still did not think I was qualified for the job. It was the typical apply online at the Amazon.com careers site they have.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!