Amazon.com Operations Manager Interview Questions

3.5

69 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coffeyville, KS
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coffeyville, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2011.

Contacted a recruiter through LinkedIn. Sent a copy of my resume. Recruiter contacted me next day for more information. Emailed me a questionaire. Completed and emailed back. Emailed me two days later with time for a phone screen. Completed phone screen and emailed me phone interview time following week. Completed phone interview and was contacted with a face to face interview two weeks later. Panel style interview and math flow problems. Completed interview on Tuesday. Received an offer that Friday! Awesome pay, great benefits and handsome signing bonus! People were genuine, intelligent and perceptive. Culture is very progressive and commited to a lean business model.

Interview Questions
  • What is your biggest barrier to leadership and how do you surmount it?   Answer Question
No need. Offer was outstanding!

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntington, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington, WV

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2011.

I was contacted by Amazon, who found my resume posting on Monster.com. After the initial communication from the HR recruiter, I was interviewed in a series of phone interviews. The first phone interview was by an HR person, that was pretty standard. Then I had a series of three more phone interviews by various employees of the company, two that worked at the present location of where the job would be at. Those, again, were fairly standard behavioral type phone interviews. Even so, they were very long, the longest clocking in at over 90 minutes. This was pretty grueling and longer than any phone interview I'd ever experienced in a long career.

Finally they made an offer to fly me to West Virginia where the actual job posting was. This was a long, long flighty from where I live literally across the country. After a long and grueling flight process (changed planes three times) and all day on a plane, I was happy to see when I checked into my room that it was a beautiful room in a nice, new hotel. I relaxed and prepared my notes for the following day's interviews.

Monday morning I arrived early at the Amazon location, one of two in that town. I was greeted cordially by the receptionist and got my first taste of Amazon - when they had told me dress was casual, they meant it. The receptionist was dressed in jeans and t-shirt. I saw various employees trickling in and it was more of the same. I felt pretty out of place in my slacks and button up shirt. I thought I was being fairly casual by not wearing a tie! I felt like the interviewers and HR person who "prepared" me for this interview process should have let me know that it was super casual, but no one thought to tell me during the process.

Interviews were to start at 8:30 but no one was ready. I ended up cooling my heels in the lobby for more than an hour before people were ready. Finally I was brought into an office and so began a brutal series of two on one interviews. I lost track of how many people I interviewed. Several of the people acted like I was a huge inconvenience and one woman was fairly hostile from the beginning. Many of the people I interviewed with were very nice, but all were pretty serious in their duties to grill me. I felt like I was being interrogated. It was truly exhausting. I believe by the time I was done I had been interviewed by at least 10 people over the course of 6 hours with one 30 minute break.

Combined with the lengthy phone interviews, skills test, etc. I have never been through a more grueling and intensive interview process before in my life. Honestly, by the time I was done, I kind of felt like I had been put through a wine press and wrung out. If the interview process was like this, did I really want to work for this company? At that point, I wasn't sure. I could say a lot more about the interview process but this is long enough already.

Once I was done I came out and my rental car had been ticketed. I took it back in and told them about it and the person who was my liaison while I was there assured me that it would be taken care of. Well, two months later and guess what? Still hasn't been taken care of and the rental care agency has assessed me an additional fee for processing it. Also, Amazon refused to reimburse me for the rental car because I hadn't booked it through their travel agency. This left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was not extended an offer, after all that, but after that interview process and after reading online all the talk about grueling hours and lack of work/home balance I am very glad. Not to mention that I now have a great job with another company at a much higher level and salary than the one that Amazon was offering so it all worked out for me pretty well, considering.

I'm unsure whether or not I would recommend Amazon or not at this point. All I can say to be fair is that my experience was negative but I've read others who didn't feel the same. I'd say that if you are a young, upcoming manager relatively fresh out of college than this might be a good move for you. For someone like myself, who has a lot of experience I'd say no, probably not a good move.

Interview Questions
    • If I handed you a rubiks cube and told you that it had to be solved by tomorrow, how would you respond?   View Answers (4)

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

To help other former military who may apply to Amazon Operations Manager here are some great points. I just finished the four round interview period in Indianapolis. They start you off very early in the morning. Make sure you ask the hotel about breakfast and coffee available before you attend the interview. When you walk into the staging area, it is go time. I would highly recommend to be part of the first set of interviewees. I found the first interview great as the guy was getting settled with his coffee. I found many of the Amazon recruiters as morning people so if you are not - you may want to find another company.

The first interview was the math problem and the analytical writing assignment. The math problem is very easy. My guy had to send the prerequisite curve ball by adjusting the rate of unit flow half way through the 10 hour shift and wanted to know how many packers I would shift over to make up the increased volume needed to make the output packing target. Not hard math, just need to remember to make sure you give him both the new volume needed to complete the 5 hours remaining in the shift and how many more workers needed.

The second interview was very painful. It dealt with your personal behavoral. A very senior GM led the interview. He was tough. Don't take it personal as he tries to rattle you. Be honest in your explanations. You need good examples of failures. They will focus more on the failures than successes to see how you learned. You will need good mentoring stories that went well and went bad.

The third interview was on my resume. Keep the focus on the top two or three accomplishments. I did more and the lady had to stop me so she could ask here questions. It was not a problem she said, but she was required to ask certain questions on "tell me a time" type questions. The big thing that they wanted to see was leadership success, good and bad, and how you led projects. Definitely use the STAR method to lay the groundwork. At the end, I asked her how she say former military transitioning in the workplace and she gave me some great insight.

The fourth interview was fun. The guy overheard some of my comments on how I wrote a book and used Amazon to publish it. Come up with some stories on how Amazon has changed your life or others that you know. It is more fooder. The last interview was on Amazon's core leadership principles. As a military person, you will have no problem here and the interviewer even mentioned it to me. However, you still need good examples. They really want to hear mistakes and how you learned and grew.

You need to remember that even thou many of the interviewers had only worked at Amazon for a short period of time, they DO bring a lot of other experiences to the table. As a military person, I would plan on not having a former military person do your interview. None of my primary interviewers were military. I think Amazon may do that on purpose as to avoid favoritism. You need to arrive on time and look good.

Amazon really likes former military. There is a huge group already imbedded and growing. Perhaps I will be conducting your interview in the future, should hear back in a few days if I get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to mentor someone and it did not turn out well.   Answer Question
    • What was the greatest process improvement accomplishment.   Answer Question
    • How did you gain the trust of a subdordinate.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Amazon called for resumes through a LinkedIn site. Once they had my resume they contacted me requesting an HR phone screening interview. Concurrently HR sent a number of email questions requesting response. Upon successful completion of the HR phone interview, they moved me forward with a phone interview with a Site Leader. Successful completion of the interview lead to an onsite hiring conference where I interviewed separately with three directors and one senior operations manager. One of the interviewers focused on a math flow problem and an essay (both of which had to be sent in prior to the onsite). Other interviewers focused on my resume and responses to behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • On the math flow problems they flow problem, they like changing headcount variables. Know what to do if you are lacking staff and how it will impact picking and packing   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you learned from it?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interesting Company and booming in the distribution network. Unconventional but efficient interview process in which they bombard candidates in a four hour interview -session- on- steroids. You were told that if you were offerred a job, which everyone was, that you would be sent to a random city and that they could not tell you your shift or days of work. You'd either work Sun-Wed or Wed-Sat. Hours were either 7AM-7PM or 7PM-AM. You were also told that your hours could be switched at their discretion. To advance, you'd have to be willing to relocate within the 1st 12 months or so. Most of the interviewers were current managers in the distribution network, all relatively new to the company, all good people. They highlighted the fact that the money was great and the work-life balance was terrible. They highlighted the money over and over.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked by one of the interviewers if I thought he did a good job based on the numerous questions I asked him.   Answer Question

I needed to know my schedule if I was relocating my family accross the country.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

Extremely challenging. We only hire the best of the best. Panel type interviews that require significant study of the business and need a strong business acumen.

Interview Questions
    • Panel interviews that deep dive into root cause. You can never provide enough details or data at Amazon. If you are the type of person that "fluff's" answers, you will fall on your face.   Answer Question
    Easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Very Tough. 5 hr pod. 4 different interviews, each 50 mins. Use the STAR method of interviewing. They drill down to get the details to verify the story

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with little data. How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

The process is very structured. It is a POD setting with managers from all over the network participating. You may or may not be meeting with the people that you will eventually work with. You will be in a room with other candidates, who will be interviewing at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • You will be expected to provide detailed summaries of how you have solved problems in the past. You will be expected to solve a series of math problems.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I reached out to an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn and the process moved quickly from there. Within a weeks time, I had a phone interview with a senior operations manager and a week later an onsite interview with the entire FC team (GM, HRM, SOM, OM).

The interview started with a building flow equation which you can find here on glassdoor. This was later discussed during my 4th interview of the day during which we also discussed a prepared essay regarding an innovative solution I implemented during my career.

The first 3 interviews were spent speaking to behavioral based questions that dug into my inherent strengths as a leader. Amazon interviewers do an excellent job of staying objective and getting to the root of each question to ensure the story is based in facts.

It was exactly one week after the interview that I was offered the position. The package came a day later via email and followed up with a call.

All-in-all it was a very quick and efficient process. I was pleasantly Given that giant mission, Amazon has decided to continue to invest to arm itself for a much larger scale of business. If it were purely a software business, its fixed cost investments for this journey would be lower, but the amount of capital required to grow a business that has to ship millions of packages to customers all over the world quickly is something only a handful of companies in the world could even afford. Joey Chestnut doesn't just wake up one day and win the Coney Island hot dog eating contest every year, he has to spend months of training to prepare his digestive system for the feat.

All-in-all I was pleasantly surprised given some of the poor experiences other professionals have had on this site with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you go about engaging a team and the process you used to do so.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I am still early (and hopefully will continue) in the process. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume. I did see them at a job fair, but didn't talk to them at the time as I didn't think I was moving to a location where they have a DC.
    The recruiter sent me an email questionnaire with basic questions (which others have described).
    I didn't think I would hear back from them after a week or 10 days went by, but then I got an email about a day and time for a phone interview.

What I did appreciate was the phone interview was with the Sr. Ops Manager at the location I wanted to work at. From what I have read, this isn't the normal experience.

The phone interview lasted about 45 min.
    First she told me about herself, and her career with Amazon.
    Then she asked me to walk her through my resume.
    Next, she talked about the Amazon leadership principles and said the rest of the interview would be based on 3 of these with one math problem.
    The questions were all behavioral (give me an example of a time when...) and related to the Amazon leadership principles of Teach, Think, and Deliver. There are more principles, but those were the 3 that I was asked to speak to.
    After that, she asked me to solve a production output problem. (Also on here in a previous review).

As others have stated, it was very script based and she stuck to her part. There were a couple time where she asked me to explain something a little deeper.

Oh, she also did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses and specifics about how many people I have had to lead in past positions.

Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well. She said I'd hear from the recruiter in 2-3 days (one way or the other), and although I haven't heard anything yet...based on the previous response time I don't think that means anything. It's been 5 business days...and I will contact the recruiter tomorrow and will update this appropriately.

**UPDATE**

After my phone interview, I waited about a week (or 10 days) and then heard from the recruiter that I had been invited to an in-person on-site interview. I was invited out to a regional event. There were 16 people there 8 in the AM and 8 in the PM. We were all interviewing for area manager but not all at the same location. Also, there are several Area managers per shift and several shifts...so your not exactly competing against everyone there. Maybe a few, but not all.

The on-site interview included travel to the location. Security it tight, so be early. We also got a tour of the facility. It was VERY impressive to see.

The process began with a math production flow problem. (If you look at other posts, you will find it). Be sure to understand the problem since in one interview they will change something in the problem and ask you for the new answer.

There are 4 (45 min) interviews with 4 different people. Mine were 3 Sr. Ops Managers and 1 HR manager.

Mine ended up back-to back - to back - to back.... to 3 hrs straight. Most of the others had short breaks in between.

All the interviewers were really nice, gave a bit about their backgrounds and left time to answer questions.
    All questions were to be answered in the STAR format. I didn't follow the format too formally, just told stories that covered the elements. All questions are related to Amazon leadership principles in some way. Just think about what principle the question is asking about. I prepared 2-3 stories (examples) that related to each. That way I had plenty to talk about for 3 hours. I did use some of the same examples in multiple interviews...but not many.

It is important to be able to use quantifiable results in your examples.

Overall, I left feeling pretty good about the interview. I received a call the next day from the recruiter letting my know that they were going to offer me a position. About a week later, I received the formal offer letter. The offer was about what I was expecting. Base salary + bonus + stock. The numbers were about what I thought they would be bases on my research and initial conversations.

Ultimately, I declined the offer for another position. Nothing against Amazon, but I choose another career path outside of operations.
    It was a good experience, but fairly difficult interview process. If I hadn't have received a second offer while still considering the Amazon offer, I would have accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • (Unexpected) Role play during in-person interview:
      You have an at-will associate who is constantly late and is under performing. This is their last chance to turn things around. What do you say to them to motivate them?
        Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!