Amazon.com

Updated Oct 18, 2014

3.5

70 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operation Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Conducted a phone interview with an HR personnel - 30 min interview mainly; questions: tell me about yourself, how do you motivate employees.
Phone interview with the site managers / Operation Leaders - all situational questions - learn the leadership principles and be ready with examples that would demonstrate how you are applying them at work. This is very important for Amazon, it is more important to have the culture fit than years of experience.
Example of questions: tell me about a time when you got your employees engaged, most recent failure, responsible for performance of non-direct employees, time when you exceed expectations, example for bias for action, deep dive analysis on data, example of a metric that identified need for a change, etc.
You would then be invited to an on-site interview where you would have 4-5 back to back interviews (45 min each) with direct manager, colleague, cross-functional colleague (for example quality or finance), HR personnel (who would mainly ask team management questions). They ask different questions still all around situational and behavioral questions that would demonstrate the leadership principles.

It is important to prepare questions to ask the interviewees - these need to be smart, and indicate that you have done your homework and understand the job and what it requires. Have questions for each of the interviewee (max 3 questions), make sure they are different and relate to the person you are interviewing with. For example, ask about what are the measures for success for this role, what are the challenges they are facing, etc.

You would be asked to submit before the on-site interview a written interview (a simple question that you would need to answer in 3-4 pages)

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you were bias for action (At the time I did not go through the leadership principles thoroughly and I didn't understand what he meant)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Received phone calls to arrange phone interviews. Both phone interviews were based on Amazon's 14 principles of leadership values. Interviewers were very pleasant, encouraging, willing to listen but only moved on to the next question when they had a clear answer and understanding of what you said and the context in which it was said. Expect them to drill down for details to verify what you say. The face to face interview is challenging with 4 interviews of approx 45 minutes each and will include a competency test so expect to brush up on process flow equations. It's not only important to know your stuff but also to be able to quickly work with variances to the original problem (they will change the original question to check that you can recalculate accurately).

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a conflict between two very talented managers without causing offence to either and ensuring a win-win situation for all?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

A went through a telephone interview for this particular position. The interview lasted about and hour and fifteen minutes. All of the questions were scenario based. My interviewer was very straight forward when it came to what was required in the position. I passed the first phrase of their interview process and am currently waiting for the second phrase where I am brought in for a face to face interview.

The questions were not difficult; however, when answering them you want to be sure to keep your answers focused on STAR process.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have a difficult or unexpected question during my interview process.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Interview Process was very difficult if you are not prepared. All of the questions are behavioral based which require detailed answers based on the STAR method. Prior to this interview, I had never heard of the STAR method. Typical questions, Tell me a time when....

Interview Questions
    • During the initial phone interview, I was caught off guard when I was asked to work a math problem.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I am still early (and hopefully will continue) in the process. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume. I did see them at a job fair, but didn't talk to them at the time as I didn't think I was moving to a location where they have a DC.
    The recruiter sent me an email questionnaire with basic questions (which others have described).
    I didn't think I would hear back from them after a week or 10 days went by, but then I got an email about a day and time for a phone interview.

What I did appreciate was the phone interview was with the Sr. Ops Manager at the location I wanted to work at. From what I have read, this isn't the normal experience.

The phone interview lasted about 45 min.
    First she told me about herself, and her career with Amazon.
    Then she asked me to walk her through my resume.
    Next, she talked about the Amazon leadership principles and said the rest of the interview would be based on 3 of these with one math problem.
    The questions were all behavioral (give me an example of a time when...) and related to the Amazon leadership principles of Teach, Think, and Deliver. There are more principles, but those were the 3 that I was asked to speak to.
    After that, she asked me to solve a production output problem. (Also on here in a previous review).

As others have stated, it was very script based and she stuck to her part. There were a couple time where she asked me to explain something a little deeper.

Oh, she also did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses and specifics about how many people I have had to lead in past positions.

Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well. She said I'd hear from the recruiter in 2-3 days (one way or the other), and although I haven't heard anything yet...based on the previous response time I don't think that means anything. It's been 5 business days...and I will contact the recruiter tomorrow and will update this appropriately.

**UPDATE**

After my phone interview, I waited about a week (or 10 days) and then heard from the recruiter that I had been invited to an in-person on-site interview. I was invited out to a regional event. There were 16 people there 8 in the AM and 8 in the PM. We were all interviewing for area manager but not all at the same location. Also, there are several Area managers per shift and several shifts...so your not exactly competing against everyone there. Maybe a few, but not all.

The on-site interview included travel to the location. Security it tight, so be early. We also got a tour of the facility. It was VERY impressive to see.

The process began with a math production flow problem. (If you look at other posts, you will find it). Be sure to understand the problem since in one interview they will change something in the problem and ask you for the new answer.

There are 4 (45 min) interviews with 4 different people. Mine were 3 Sr. Ops Managers and 1 HR manager.

Mine ended up back-to back - to back - to back.... to 3 hrs straight. Most of the others had short breaks in between.

All the interviewers were really nice, gave a bit about their backgrounds and left time to answer questions.
    All questions were to be answered in the STAR format. I didn't follow the format too formally, just told stories that covered the elements. All questions are related to Amazon leadership principles in some way. Just think about what principle the question is asking about. I prepared 2-3 stories (examples) that related to each. That way I had plenty to talk about for 3 hours. I did use some of the same examples in multiple interviews...but not many.

It is important to be able to use quantifiable results in your examples.

Overall, I left feeling pretty good about the interview. I received a call the next day from the recruiter letting my know that they were going to offer me a position. About a week later, I received the formal offer letter. The offer was about what I was expecting. Base salary + bonus + stock. The numbers were about what I thought they would be bases on my research and initial conversations.

Ultimately, I declined the offer for another position. Nothing against Amazon, but I choose another career path outside of operations.
    It was a good experience, but fairly difficult interview process. If I hadn't have received a second offer while still considering the Amazon offer, I would have accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • (Unexpected) Role play during in-person interview:
      You have an at-will associate who is constantly late and is under performing. This is their last chance to turn things around. What do you say to them to motivate them?
        Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I reached out to an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn and the process moved quickly from there. Within a weeks time, I had a phone interview with a senior operations manager and a week later an onsite interview with the entire FC team (GM, HRM, SOM, OM).

The interview started with a building flow equation which you can find here on glassdoor. This was later discussed during my 4th interview of the day during which we also discussed a prepared essay regarding an innovative solution I implemented during my career.

The first 3 interviews were spent speaking to behavioral based questions that dug into my inherent strengths as a leader. Amazon interviewers do an excellent job of staying objective and getting to the root of each question to ensure the story is based in facts.

It was exactly one week after the interview that I was offered the position. The package came a day later via email and followed up with a call.

All-in-all it was a very quick and efficient process. I was pleasantly Given that giant mission, Amazon has decided to continue to invest to arm itself for a much larger scale of business. If it were purely a software business, its fixed cost investments for this journey would be lower, but the amount of capital required to grow a business that has to ship millions of packages to customers all over the world quickly is something only a handful of companies in the world could even afford. Joey Chestnut doesn't just wake up one day and win the Coney Island hot dog eating contest every year, he has to spend months of training to prepare his digestive system for the feat.

All-in-all I was pleasantly surprised given some of the poor experiences other professionals have had on this site with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you go about engaging a team and the process you used to do so.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

Operation Manager Interview

As describe in the different interview process, I had 2 phones screens with HR and technical then I had on site interview with 5 differents people (Senior Operation Manager, Change Manager, HR Manager, Senior Operation Manager)

Interview Questions
    • I took a long day to past all interview and you must be prepare to talk about all your experience relate to all 14 values company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

The process is very structured. It is a POD setting with managers from all over the network participating. You may or may not be meeting with the people that you will eventually work with. You will be in a room with other candidates, who will be interviewing at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • You will be expected to provide detailed summaries of how you have solved problems in the past. You will be expected to solve a series of math problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Very Tough. 5 hr pod. 4 different interviews, each 50 mins. Use the STAR method of interviewing. They drill down to get the details to verify the story

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with little data. How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Quick process. Meeting recruiter at hiring fair. Received an email about 2 weeks later to set-up phone interview. Interview was with a Senior Operations Manager and really just served to see if Amazon was a fit. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Ask a few work flow questions. Must admit (and was told) that my logic was spot on, but the actual math was a touch off. Just be ready.   Answer Question