Amazon.com Operations Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was selected through a hiring conference from my resume submission to a hiring conference that was sponsored by graduate associations. I did not receive any telephone interviews prior, but did attend a by-invite reception sponsored by Amazon at the job fair. For the interview, I was taken into a separate room by the hiring authority, then asked a few questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hazleton, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Hazleton, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was referred to a recruiter by a friend. Process is very structured. First email I was sent a chart to fill out with basic qualifications to ensure I met them. Afterwards, I was sent a link to answer a case study question. After that, I was scheduled for an interview over the phone with a current site leader of a fulfillment center. He asked basic "tell me about a time when.." questions and went over my resume. About 2 days after that, I was told my interview went well and they wanted me to come in the following week to a fulfillment center for an in person interview. I could not make that so I was scheduled for an interview 2 weeks after that. Before going to the onsite interview, I had to complete a writing sample and submit it to my recruiter. The onsite interview was held at a fulfillment center in PA for all openings in the NE (supposedly). I was in a group of 6 people, 3 of us interviewing for operations manager positions and 3 interviewing for area manager positions. Luckily we were not competing against each other. The onsite began with a 30 min tour of the facility and then followed up with a 15 min math question. After that, we each met with 4 people, 2 were senior operations managers, 1 was a HR manager, and one a site leader. It is very structured. Each interviewer has 3-4 standard "tell me about a time when..." questions for you to answer. Nothing too difficult, but definitely became somewhat redundant. Received a phone call with an offer the following Monday, only to be told that the opening I applied for was no longer available and if I would be interested in a position at the facility I interviewed at or the one that the site leader who interviewed me worked at. Both were less than ideal and I felt that I had been misled slightly in the process. Overall the process was very structured and professional. The recruiters kept in touch via email very well and I never felt like I didn't know the next step in the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Initial part of the interview process was a numerical assessment test from an outsourced company. Second phase was telephone interview which should last around 45 minutes. The interview started with questions about my CV. The critical questions were about Leadership Principles, which can be found on their careers website. At that point, you have to explain your experiences in critical situations and how you solved them with hard-working and your soft skills. Unfortunately, I did not pass this step. Next step would be another phone interview with HR manager and afterwards face-to-face interviews with different stakeholders at the fulfillment center.

Interview Questions

• Can you please tell me about one challenging experience demonstrating your skills regarding our Invent and Simplify principle?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Telephonic round followed by 5 face to face rounds then again telephonic round .. complete process took close to a month .. overall it was a good experience and worth the time as its a great company to work for..

Interview Questions

• Questions are around the 14 principle. They try to gauge you basis that and see if you are a fit. Go through those principles and prepare situations from your past where in you demonstrated those principle while handling those situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Bernardino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, who scheduled a phone interview, which involved several behavioral questions and a math question. Two days later, I was invited to participate in on-site interviews. All expenses were covered. The onsite interviews consisted of four interviews, three with operations/senior operations managers and one with an HR manager. Candidates were also asked about a written sample they had provided earlier and another math question, which they complete before interviews begin. The interviewers were courteous and helpful and the atmosphere non-threatening. There were several candidates going through interviews at the same time, but all interviews were conducted on-on-one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with opposition to a decision you had made. How did you overcome it?   3 Answers

Operation Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview was not difficult but the manager who interviewed is big on managerial/supervisory question. I didn't have a lot experience doing supervisory tasks. My experience is handling/managing operation and working with a team and not as a direct manager. Math question is easy, same question posted here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Bernardino, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Phone screen was conducted by Sr operational manager. We went through basics of positions. Next was flown to distribution center for multiple person interviews. There were 8 other candidates as well as internal applicants. A math question was also given to be completed. I was kept waiting all day and felt they were not organized in there process. I also felt they have a better than you attitude.

Interview Questions

• How would you increase productivity What changes would you make How would you manage multiple shifts   1 Answer

I felt they didn't respect you as an individual and only were concern at how much you could give them. Once you were used up then out you went. They had an elitist attitude and if you didn't bleed amazon than you were no good to them

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

Interview

Very quick. If you have the skills they are looking for, you can get hired and start within 2 weeks. The company is always hiring. Continuous improvement experience is a plus.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Harrisburg, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone screener and panel interview conducted by a former operations manager with Amazon. Gentlemen was very knowledgeable and appreciated well thought out questions regarding my fit as a candidate for the role.

Interview Questions

• background scenario based questions and basic math skills. Advance question of a case study requires written response   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)) in June 2012.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, hiring manager phone screen, 4 person panel interview. Drugs test on day of joining. Panel interviewing was tough but enjoyable and gives the opportunity to speak to different functions

Interview Questions

• Loads of questions based on their leadership principles. Read them in advance on line and focus on STAR answering. Do your homework on amazon they seemed to be quite taken aback with the homework I had done on the role and company and they all said that was unusual   Answer Question