Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews followed by one written exam and onsite interview. Most of the questions are around algorithm and data structures. Look for trees and hash tables and distributed designs

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – normal software engineer interview. I had two phone interview, typical coding questions, All about basic data structure and algorithms.
Then I was invited to an on-site interview in their palo alto office. I met with the hiring manager, three engineers and a guy I thought was a bar raiser.
Questions like tree, remove duplicates, word ladder, etc.
They were particularly looking for someone who was familiar with Android, but I didn't have any mobile experience.

Interview Question – All normal questions.   Answer Question

Senior Mobile Software Engineer for AWS Interview

Senior Mobile Software Engineer for AWS
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – They mostly followed a normal "Google" style interview. One guy asked me questions specific to the technology I'd be working with.

I had two phone interviews, one was more about my experience, the other was code-heavy. The on-site in Palo Alto had 5 interviews, two of which had "shadow" interviewers that sat quietly and took notes.

I did very well in four of them, and didn't do so well on the fifth one. Didn't get the job, which was disappointing, because I really kicked major butt on the first four. They let me know two business days after the interview.

The team and manager seemed really cool and great to work with. Their work hours were sane, and standard according to silicon valley (around 50 hours per week including lunch time). The perks are almost non-existent at Amazon, which is a bit annoying. If devs stay late, they should be given dinner, this should be the norm in software jobs... after all they just cut into their dinner prep plans, right? Spend the $7 on them for the extra hour ($50+) or two ($100+) they put in.

Interview Question – Hardest Q was: Here's a binary tree: find the longest path within it. So, find a path between any two leaf nodes, where the path is the longest.   View Answer

Product Management Interview

Product Management
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Simple process. I had 2 rounds of phone interviews for 45 minutes. After 5 weeks I was invited to a meeting in a hotel. They gave very little notice. It was 4 hour interview with 4 people. I received a call from their HR within 24 hours saying they're moving forward with an offer but I will have to decide which group I want to work with. I spoke with 3 different hiring managers over phone, and decided to go with one.

Interview Question – Most of their questions were situational and case based from past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Their offer was pretty good, given the stock performance.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com interview questions and advice in Palo Alto, CA. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.