Amazon.com

3.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

2 phone interviews followed by one written exam and onsite interview. Most of the questions are around algorithm and data structures. Look for trees and hash tables and distributed designs

Senior Mobile Software Engineer for AWS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

They mostly followed a normal "Google" style interview. One guy asked me questions specific to the technology I'd be working with.

I had two phone interviews, one was more about my experience, the other was code-heavy. The on-site in Palo Alto had 5 interviews, two of which had "shadow" interviewers that sat quietly and took notes.

I did very well in four of them, and didn't do so well on the fifth one. Didn't get the job, which was disappointing, because I really kicked major butt on the first four. They let me know two business days after the interview.

The team and manager seemed really cool and great to work with. Their work hours were sane, and standard according to silicon valley (around 50 hours per week including lunch time). The perks are almost non-existent at Amazon, which is a bit annoying. If devs stay late, they should be given dinner, this should be the norm in software jobs... after all they just cut into their dinner prep plans, right? Spend the $7 on them for the extra hour ($50+) or two ($100+) they put in.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest Q was: Here's a binary tree: find the longest path within it. So, find a path between any two leaf nodes, where the path is the longest.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

normal software engineer interview. I had two phone interview, typical coding questions, All about basic data structure and algorithms.
    Then I was invited to an on-site interview in their palo alto office. I met with the hiring manager, three engineers and a guy I thought was a bar raiser.
    Questions like tree, remove duplicates, word ladder, etc.
    They were particularly looking for someone who was familiar with Android, but I didn't have any mobile experience.

Interview Questions