Amazon.com

Very Easy Interview

FC Associate Interview

FC Associate
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – i can't speak for direct hire but temp to hire is pretty simple to start apply thru integrity staffing you will show up to their interview answer simple questions and a simple test. go thru background and mouth swab. be a positive i get along with everybody kinda person and your in. once you start is when hell term starts. be as perfect as you can be while you are a temp working at the warehouse. and get in good with the managers they can refer you to become direct hire and you want that like bad.

Interview Question – no difficult questions when i got turned over to amazon directly they just started orientation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – will you take the job?
me: yes!

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an e-mail a couple of weeks later saying they were interested in me after seeing my resume and wanted 3 specific times I would be available for a phone interview with an Operations Manager. A few days after I replied I received an e-mail stating the time I would be receiving a call and to confirm. I received the call right on time and the interview lasted around 30-40 minutes but I had lots of questions after the actual interview was complete. Standard situational questions. Interview went well needless to say and a few more days later I received an e-mail stating I had been selected for an in person interview. The e-mail contained some instructions for what to do and not to do at the facility and what not to bring with you. Do not bring your cell phone with you to even check in at the front desk, it will count against you if you do. Also attached to the e-mail were some case study questions to be answered and sent back to the recruiter. Again, confirmation was requested in the e-mail, be sure to do so ASAP. The recruiters are very friendly and are there to help you with any questions you might have. But, honestly, they don't have a lot of knowledge on what happens at the facility. The in person interview lasts 5 hours and you will be interviewed by five people and have a 30 min tour of the facility you are interviewing at, Some people might actually come in from out of state and your travel expenses will be comped. I live 30 min away from the facility so I had no real expenses for travel. It was an extensive interview process to say the least. Most interviews I've been in or given last 45 minutes to maybe 1.5 hours. Don't be fooled by the whole "we are in innovative company and want innovative people" slogan. Its not true, they want people who follow the established process, keep their heads down and do their job. After you have been there for a year or more, THEN you can say something about the process. See, I came from in industry that is always improving, so I have a trained eye for where things can improve. I made the mistake of mentioning a couple of ways they could improve just by what I saw during the tour and they didn't like that very much. If you want the job, love what you see. During the interviews make sure you stick to the point, don't get caught up in your story, keep your answers detailed but as short as possible and use the STAR format. They love that. The Math question is given to you before the interviews and you have 15 minutes to "solve" the problem. There is an answer, don't be afraid to get into decimals like .5 or .75 if you can. You are given a calculator and its not that hard, not easy but certainly not hard either. I signed a non disclosure so I can't specify the rate problem but I will tell you that it is available on this site, at least the problem I received. One of the interviewers will go over the math problem with you and after you explain your thoughts and how you came to your conclusion they will throw a curve ball at you. Again, its not hard or easy but if you think aloud and consider all the implications you will do well. They are looking for professional people not excited, promoter style friendly people. They want serious, not stuffy but on point people who will get the job done. Keep a straight face, don't make jokes, be positive but not excited and you'll get the offer. I misunderstood my audience, thinking they were looking for creative people who are innovators and passionate about their job. They may want passion but not the "marketing" kind of creativity and passion. They aren't about sales per say at the distribution centers, at least that's the feeling I got, its not their job to sell but to perform. I'm all about sales, w/o sales there is no reason to have a DC... To them, its the web designers job to sell and theirs to get the product to the customer. I definitely agree with getting the job done efficiently and they do a great job, I think they would do much better if they had some sales minded people in their DC, but its their company vision not mine. I did get an offer, but after the experience I had, with the answers I got to my questions I decided to look elsewhere. If you take the job be prepared to work lots of hours for not lots of pay. Its not until you get to the Senior Operations Manager level that the real fun begins and you can think of ways to improve the company and process. Till then, shut up and do your JOB! Seriously, this is of course my opinion on what I saw and heard, it may be different after all. The interview took place on a Thursday afternoon and I received the offer request by e-mail on Monday but never had the offer conversation.

Interview Question – Be careful how you reply to why you are looking for another job, why you are not happy with your current or previous position. The HR interviewer will ask this question and how you answer it could kill you.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – As I said in the interview description, seems like a lot of work for not enough pay and they are NOT looking for creative innovators but, for lack of a better word, drones, to do their jobs and shut up. I'm far to creative and experienced to work for a company that stifles creativity till you get into upper management.

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer
Tempe, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who was scheduling for a hiring event. After a 15 minutes conversation with the recruiter, I was offered an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 1 Development Manager and 3 Senior Engineers (each of whom had another engineer shadowing them to take notes). Behavioral questions were the same any employer would ask. Technical questions were challenging but they will help you out when you are struggling.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when a decision you made directly impacted the customer.   Answer Question

Tier III Amazon Process Assistant Interview

Tier III Amazon Process Assistant
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Internal application process

Interview Question – How would you get associates who are not up to productivity expectancy up to rate without any form of disciplinary action?   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Human Resources Generalist
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – The process moved very fast. Went from phone screen to starting the job in 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you pushed back on a decision that was made. That question was fine but they probed my answer about 10 times. I didn't budge...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good offer- Didn't negotiate

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – I got an email for an on campus interview. and there were two rounds in the interview scheduled. The interviewers were very nice and helped wherever i got stuck. Had asked about algorithms, recursion, data structures

Interview Question – I got a question on recursion, i had to find a path in a maze of n*n matrix.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate
Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

Interview Details – Well first I found the application online through Integrity and right when I finish the application, I was instructed to call the local Integrity office and tell them I finished the application. I called and they gave me a date for the interview which was a like three weeks later. Unlike other people who have said that the office was full of people. My experience was opposite. The office was basically empty except for some employee . I can see it was meant for a mobile of people though. Anyways I had to do random test on a computer which I assume it was to test my competenc . It was easy. After that I sat down and wait in a empty room with dozens of chairs while a repeating Integrity video kept playing. I waited 30mins and I was finally called over to some lady who was very nice to me. She only asked me like one interview questions. Which I can't remember but it was something about how I manage my time or something like that. After that she asked me for proof of employment and high school diploma. She asked me to fill out some forms and she took my photo and told me there were no positions right now but I should call weekly and ask them if they have any available. I did this for like 2 months and finally given a start day.

Interview Question – My experience. I hardly got any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it.

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was at one of their warehouses where I was one of about eight people they interviewed that day. It started out as a tour around their facility then ended with four different interviews. Within the next few days they told me they selected someone else.

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?   View Answer
  • You have 25 people to assign to three different departments, how do you assign them? Ok now you have 5 more, where do you put them and why?   Answer Question
  • You have a project that you are working with a coworker on who is too busy to help, what do you do?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied online through the Amazon careers site. I was contacted by a recruiter.
Amazon flew some of their engineers out to Phoenix and interviewed candidates at a hotel.
I had two interviews in a hotel room. The first was pretty reasonable, asked me to implement a singleton and write the code on a whiteboard. The whiteboard was not especially large so it was difficult to fit all the code, especially since I tend to write some code, notice that I forgot something, go back and add a line, etc.
The second interview was strange because the interviewer asked me two coding questions and then seemed to be working on his computer while I wrote each answer on the whiteboard. At first I thought maybe he was copying down my code but he did a lot more typing than I did scribbling. He also didn't seem to pay any attention to what I was doing until I finished writing and explained what I had done. Seemed rude and a waste of everyone's time (especially considering I drove 2 hours each way to the interview). We could have achieved the same result by having me just submit answers via email. For the second question, I couldn't fit the entire answer on the whiteboard so I had to erase and continue. By the time I had finished the scribbling exercise there wasn't time to improve my algorithm or discuss anything.
I wasn't too disappointed when I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – Do a deep copy of a linked list in which each item, in addition to the normal "next" pointer has a random pointer to another item in the list.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – Two back to back interviews that were 45 minutes long. A sheet is provided for your answers. There are generally two big questions with each interviewer. I forgot one of them. The interviewers provide help and hints whenever one gets stuck or is lost.

Interview Questions

• Heap Sorting. What data structure do you use to implement it? Time to access and sort. Code it.   View Answers (2)
  • Provided two files, one with inventory and the other with warehouses, with the item ID present in both files; code something that would merge these two into one single file using the item ID as reference.   View Answer
  • Is it possible to sort using linear time a file with lots of numbers that contain duplicates, when there are no limits of resources or space?   View Answers (3)

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!