Amazon.com Interview Questions in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I was flown to interview and touched down at 4pm the afternoon before. The whole travel ordeal was rather stressful. Getting to rental car area and driving an hour to the hotel only to have to make it to the facility at 700am the next morning. 8 other candidates were there flown in as well and they said we weren't competing against one another, but we were... awkward! We waited about a half hour to be greeted by our facility tour guide. Then checking in was a 15 minute process. We were given a 1 hour tour of the facility. The main reason we were there, to interview, was not long at all. They said the process would be 4, 45 minute interviews, but no one's seemed to be more than 35-40minutes. The process was very rushed, hurried, and impersonal. You had to re-establish yourself with each interviewer leaving each of them to ask you only 2 questions. Be prepared to be interrupted in mid sentence. One interviewer said "be more specific"...I guess he wanted the actual name of the individual I was referring to... not sure of the relevancy or value add in that. My thought was he only wanted to interrupt me. I guess that is a high IQ tactic I hadn't learned. One interviewer had only been employed with Amazon for 4 months and she seemed miffed when I asked her about her Amazon experience at the end of the interview when she asked, "do you have any questions for me?". Amazon is a successful company, but 3 of the 4 interviewers went out of their was to attempt to intimidate, by either interrupting or giving cold stares. They like to ask canned behavioral questions about leading groups of people and they like to hire young students strait out of college... so basically they like people to lie to them. What 23 year old has several various scenarios of leading a team of people!? If working 13-14 hour shifts and working them 6 days a week Oct-Dec is what your looking for, then this is your gig. Hope you don't own a home because that's a black eye in the Amazon world.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you were leading a team of people and dealing with two separate issues only to realize they had the same underlying cause? What!? That was real question!!   1 Answer

Fulfillment Center Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Peoria, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

Did application process online. Next day got calls to attend hiring fair. Process was fast, maybe because I had already done the application portion. Lots of other people there nd most if not all got offers after processing, even before being interviewed.

Interview Questions

• There were no personal questions or questions on past experience. All questions were company and policy related.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation outside which shift you would work.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

After the application, I was contacted by email to set up an appointment for a phone interview. The phone interview was some standard information about how previous job experience and education relates to the job. Then there is another email talking about an in person interview. These are done in larger groups, for a tour of a facility and individual interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasts for about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specifically about what I would do if someone I was supervising was falling behind.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arizona State University, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Arizona State University, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

I met recruiters at a college supply chain career fair. I stopped by because the recruiters were all dressed in jeans and t-shirts instead of suits like all the other companies. I really liked how lax they were. I chatted with them and they asked me to apply. I interviewed with them the very next day on campus and it went great. The interview questions and math problems listed in here were word for word the same things they asked me. The interviewer was VERY friendly and it was more like talking with a buddy than someone interviewing me. This was on Tuesday Sept 16th (I'm writing this on Friday after the interview) and they told me that because they had done so many interviews that I wouldn't hear anything until Friday at the very earliest but I ended up getting an email from them the very next day saying that they were really impressed and that they wanted me to come back for a final interview on Oct 4th. I'm very excited to see how this next interview goes and to see what they offer. One thing they suggested that I read up in before the final interview was Amazon's Customer Obsession. I put that I wasn't given an offer but we'll see after my final interview. I'll update this after my final interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time where you had to take leadership of a group of employees or a situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

The recruiter was great and gave lots of information about what to expect and wear. The interview process included 4 separate interviews with different individuals. One interviewer was asking questions about what I would do in a particular situation, but since I only had a basic knowledge of the process, my answer didn't satisfy him. I wasn't taking into account the details of how things were done, because I didn't really know them. His obvious annoyance at my answers made me lose my confidence and I'm sure that's the interviewer that didn't think I was a good fit for the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the situation if a few of your employees are falling behind their expected rate?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2014.

Interview

Online application with computer requirement diagnostics resulting in an email with an offer for a telephone interview. One telephone interview with one hiring agent resulting in an immediate offer for a seasonal position. The interview was pleasant, lasted less the 45 minutes with no waiting. I was offered a position after the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult customer service experience and what you did to resolve the issue and how the customer responded.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Tempe, AZ) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who was scheduling for a hiring event. After a 15 minutes conversation with the recruiter, I was offered an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 1 Development Manager and 3 Senior Engineers (each of whom had another engineer shadowing them to take notes). Behavioral questions were the same any employer would ask. Technical questions were challenging but they will help you out when you are struggling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a decision you made directly impacted the customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received an e-mail a couple of weeks later saying they were interested in me after seeing my resume and wanted 3 specific times I would be available for a phone interview with an Operations Manager. A few days after I replied I received an e-mail stating the time I would be receiving a call and to confirm. I received the call right on time and the interview lasted around 30-40 minutes but I had lots of questions after the actual interview was complete. Standard situational questions. Interview went well needless to say and a few more days later I received an e-mail stating I had been selected for an in person interview. The e-mail contained some instructions for what to do and not to do at the facility and what not to bring with you. Do not bring your cell phone with you to even check in at the front desk, it will count against you if you do. Also attached to the e-mail were some case study questions to be answered and sent back to the recruiter. Again, confirmation was requested in the e-mail, be sure to do so ASAP. The recruiters are very friendly and are there to help you with any questions you might have. But, honestly, they don't have a lot of knowledge on what happens at the facility. The in person interview lasts 5 hours and you will be interviewed by five people and have a 30 min tour of the facility you are interviewing at, Some people might actually come in from out of state and your travel expenses will be comped. I live 30 min away from the facility so I had no real expenses for travel. It was an extensive interview process to say the least. Most interviews I've been in or given last 45 minutes to maybe 1.5 hours. Don't be fooled by the whole "we are in innovative company and want innovative people" slogan. Its not true, they want people who follow the established process, keep their heads down and do their job. After you have been there for a year or more, THEN you can say something about the process. See, I came from in industry that is always improving, so I have a trained eye for where things can improve. I made the mistake of mentioning a couple of ways they could improve just by what I saw during the tour and they didn't like that very much. If you want the job, love what you see. During the interviews make sure you stick to the point, don't get caught up in your story, keep your answers detailed but as short as possible and use the STAR format. They love that. The Math question is given to you before the interviews and you have 15 minutes to "solve" the problem. There is an answer, don't be afraid to get into decimals like .5 or .75 if you can. You are given a calculator and its not that hard, not easy but certainly not hard either. I signed a non disclosure so I can't specify the rate problem but I will tell you that it is available on this site, at least the problem I received. One of the interviewers will go over the math problem with you and after you explain your thoughts and how you came to your conclusion they will throw a curve ball at you. Again, its not hard or easy but if you think aloud and consider all the implications you will do well. They are looking for professional people not excited, promoter style friendly people. They want serious, not stuffy but on point people who will get the job done. Keep a straight face, don't make jokes, be positive but not excited and you'll get the offer. I misunderstood my audience, thinking they were looking for creative people who are innovators and passionate about their job. They may want passion but not the "marketing" kind of creativity and passion. They aren't about sales per say at the distribution centers, at least that's the feeling I got, its not their job to sell but to perform. I'm all about sales, w/o sales there is no reason to have a DC... To them, its the web designers job to sell and theirs to get the product to the customer. I definitely agree with getting the job done efficiently and they do a great job, I think they would do much better if they had some sales minded people in their DC, but its their company vision not mine. I did get an offer, but after the experience I had, with the answers I got to my questions I decided to look elsewhere. If you take the job be prepared to work lots of hours for not lots of pay. Its not until you get to the Senior Operations Manager level that the real fun begins and you can think of ways to improve the company and process. Till then, shut up and do your JOB! Seriously, this is of course my opinion on what I saw and heard, it may be different after all. The interview took place on a Thursday afternoon and I received the offer request by e-mail on Monday but never had the offer conversation.

Interview Questions

• Be careful how you reply to why you are looking for another job, why you are not happy with your current or previous position. The HR interviewer will ask this question and how you answer it could kill you.   1 Answer

As I said in the interview description, seems like a lot of work for not enough pay and they are NOT looking for creative innovators but, for lack of a better word, drones, to do their jobs and shut up. I'm far to creative and experienced to work for a company that stifles creativity till you get into upper management.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The process moved very fast. Went from phone screen to starting the job in 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you pushed back on a decision that was made. That question was fine but they probed my answer about 10 times. I didn't budge...   Answer Question

Negotiation

Good offer- Didn't negotiate

FC Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2013.

Interview

i can't speak for direct hire but temp to hire is pretty simple to start apply thru integrity staffing you will show up to their interview answer simple questions and a simple test. go thru background and mouth swab. be a positive i get along with everybody kinda person and your in. once you start is when hell term starts. be as perfect as you can be while you are a temp working at the warehouse. and get in good with the managers they can refer you to become direct hire and you want that like bad.

Interview Questions

• no difficult questions when i got turned over to amazon directly they just started orientation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

will you take the job?
    me: yes!