Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Via a reference from a colleague, I met an Amazon employee for an "informational interview". (My friend knew there were openings in the department but didn't know exactly what they were.) That was a great conversation. We talked about the specific domain and my background, then turned to the openings and narrowed down to one that was the best fit. It sounded like they were in no hurry and would wait to hire only exactly the right people for the team. Then he brought out a sheet of standard old-fashioned behavioral interview questions ("Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision") and I sweated through it, but all the time we were also talking about the domain and the various things Amazon was doing, most of which I hadn't been aware of, which made me very interested in pursuing the position. It ended with him asking for my resume, and outlining the next steps of phone screens and then the on-site interview.

A week later, after prodding my contact, I was contacted by a recruiter, who set up a phone interview. First was with the actual hiring manager--but he didn't want to talk at all about the domain of the job (my area of expertise and the reason I was interested), he wanted to talk about abstracted or hypothetical Product Management situations. Rather, he wanted me to invent situations and then analyze them--kind of like having to write your own test questions, and then answer them! I recognize that that demonstrates cognitive ability, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the actual job of product management. I thought I did OK, at least survived.

Then they set up a second call, which I took as a sign of continued interest. This was with a different manager, not actually in the same department. His questions were also abstract and hypothetical, but he was much better about prompting me through the process and was a lot easier to talk to. I felt like I aced it.

Then, much to my surprise, I got an email from the recruiter saying that they were "pursuing other candidates". And that due to company policy no feedback on my interviews would be available, thank you and goodbye!

Interview Questions
  • Think of a new product or business for Amazon, and describe how you would decide to create the product and launch it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Contacted promptly by recruiting. Didn't initially like the proposed position but they worked with me to find one I was enthusiastic about it. Set up phone interview which went very well followed by interview day at Amazon. I was expecting the worst from their reputation including other Glassdoor reviews, but everyone was pleasant and professional if a little too scripted. I can't be critical though having experienced some really bad processes at other employers. Finished up actually having enjoyed my day there but ultimately no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most of it was questions about how my professional experience related to the 14 Amazon leadership principles.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Got email from recruiter informing me that the hiring manager was very interested with my resume. Scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. Interview was pretty straight forward and included questions about my prior experience and Product Management knowledge.

Followed up another phone interview with a different Product Manager from a completely different team

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to move from software engineering to product management?
      Pick and product that you like/dislike. Why? How would go about making it better?
      Current roles and responsibilities.

Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Recruiter reach out via LinkedIn and communicate position information via phone call first. And then arranged two on-site interviews. One interview for line manager, the other interview for HR manager

Interview Questions
    • Tell how to improve current third-party seller register process   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Expect A few rounds of phone conversations before the onsite interview; you might start with one job post but if the recruiter see other fits, they will bring in more people to talk to you. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions that are related to the 14 Amazon leadership principles.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

I had a single over the phone interview. They asked a lot of questions regarding how I would handle specific situations in the job they were looking for (in other words, not hypothetical as much as how would he handle the problems we're currently facing in this job). In the end, they said they were mostly looking for "Good Product Managers". Their definition of a good product manager was someone who used data to make decisions and could argue their point using data to back them up. I thought I did well, but I don't think I was specific enough.

Interview Questions
    • How would you choose which features to implement and which are most important to our customers?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

The correspondence leading up the interview was great. They requested brief questionnaire about my work history which was, I thought, going to be a type of outline for the interview. I was mistaken.

The interview consisted of two hypothetical scenarios and how I would go about starting a project based on a certain premise. The scenarios were scattered and a bit outlandish which caught me off-guard. While the interview was quite difficult, it was unique and definitely taught me that you can never really anticipate the types of questions you'll receive during an interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about building a dating site for people who want to cheat on their spouses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

It was on Campus Recruitment. I submitted the resume through campus and was called for an interview. Overall there were 2 interviews in the 1st round and if we cleared those, we will proceed to another round of 2 interviews. I did not move to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions
    • Usual Behavioral questions with a twist like "How do you earn trust in a team?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you failed at work?
      When did you develop a product that didn't work?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Email correspondence with an HR rep as well as a recruiter, who scheduled three phone interviews, each an hour long. Very difficult interviews - several tough case questions and prodding follow-up questions designed to fluster you and poke holes in your answers. After the third one, Amazon flew me out to Seattle for a day of in-person meetings. Also very difficult. The interviewers seemed really rushed, and none of them, beside the hiring manager, were on the team for which this position was hiring. They had obviously been well trained by Amazon to parse out the people who are sharp enough and fit their exact mold of what the idea candidate should be.

Interview Questions
    • Pretend you know nothing about Amazon Prime. How would you price it?   Answer Question