Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.6

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Their HR/Recruiting was definitely more on-the-ball than most after I had been identified for an interview. The interview itself was two 30-minute one-on-ones with people in a similar position at Amazon. I had been warned that the interviews were tough, but even then they exceeded my expectations. Both interviewers used multiple tiers of drilling questions to see if I really knew the stuff inside and out. There were almost no behavioral questions, and we only cursorily went through my resume. Most questions were hard "what would you do if you were in charge of x?"

One of the interviewers was personable and nice, while the other seemed to have a chip on his/her shoulder. He/she made sure to mention where she had gone to school and how many people she was in charge of.

The kool-aid is definitely strong at Amazon, and they're looking for people who will fit in without too much trouble. At the end of the interview, I knew that I had bombed it, but at the same time, I was decreasingly interested in the job. I think those who would gel with Amazon's culture will do fine, and for the rest of us it will be obvious to both parties that it's not a good fit.

Interview Questions
  • You're in charge of new business venture x. What do you evaluate in vetting the business potential? Now what is your estimate of the volume we could move (with numbers)?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2009.

Some of the interviewers tested your background by asking questions from your resume. Some interviewers tested core Amazon principles such as ownership, think big, insist on high standards, have a backbone, dealing with ambiguity, customer obsession, strong analytics.

Interview Questions
    • How would you calculate the price of Amazon Prime membership?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

* Very detailed and difficult.
    * 1 day almost 7 hours straight interviewed with 6-7 people, 1 different every hour
    * You don't know who you are interviewing with while you are interviewing so to keep you on your toes.
    * Heavy note taking, recording answers for review during a panel later.
    * They usually bump you down a level when you first start.

Interview Questions
    • Questions around creative, innovation, and entrepreneurship.   Answer Question
    Phone calls back and forth with recruiter negotiating salary and benefits

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kami-meguro (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kami-meguro (Japan)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Total of 2 phases of interviews, the 1st one was with the Hiring Manager and the 2nd(final) phase was the infamous Interview Loop with other 4 people ( 45 minutes each). Each of every one of them asked deeply regarding my previous employment and past experiences. There was data / numerical related questions and one them gave you a case study to discuss the possible solutions.

Interview Questions
    • Business questions regarding how do you handle negotiations( both internal and external), case study of real company related issues.   Answer Question
    Think I would love the culture. The compensation package were good, so I accept it as it is.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Very tough and a long process. There were 7 rounds in total. 5 rounds in a single day. The questions were tough but very perspective in nature. They were keen on understanding the thought process rather than exact answer per se.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question as such. The questions were relevant.   Answer Question

The role which was offered didn't suit my requirements

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you failed at work?
      When did you develop a product that didn't work?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

All but one of the team member was unprepared and a complete moron. The attitude he brought to the table was enough to put me off the entire job itself. Amazon needs to look carefully at who they select as interviewers and their company comes off as arrogant.

Interview Questions
    • Not many but they really need to keep their wrong and egoistical attitude in check   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Was placed in an interview by a job agency that I was working with. I had relevant experience and a strong educational background. Had 1 telephone interview with a particularly unenthusiastic manager. Asked basic questions about myself and described the job itself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Phone screen by hiring manager followed up by full day interview loop. There were five interviews during the interview loop. Each interview has a distinct focus (work history, business case, break even analysis, product spec and cultural fit). The interviewees consisted of peers to the position, a VP level interview and an engineering peer. Be ready for a very analytical interview.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two 30 minutes back to back phone interviews. First interviewer ask most of the behavior questions and also ask follow up questions pretty aggressively. The second one is more friendly and ask a few general behavior questions and then through a mini case to me.
    My cell phone got cut off in the second interview, so use a land line if you can.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation that your got challenged in public.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!