Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Their HR/Recruiting was definitely more on-the-ball than most after I had been identified for an interview. The interview itself was two 30-minute one-on-ones with people in a similar position at Amazon. I had been warned that the interviews were tough, but even then they exceeded my expectations. Both interviewers used multiple tiers of drilling questions to see if I really knew the stuff inside and out. There were almost no behavioral questions, and we only cursorily went through my resume. Most questions were hard "what would you do if you were in charge of x?"

One of the interviewers was personable and nice, while the other seemed to have a chip on his/her shoulder. He/she made sure to mention where she had gone to school and how many people she was in charge of.

The kool-aid is definitely strong at Amazon, and they're looking for people who will fit in without too much trouble. At the end of the interview, I knew that I had bombed it, but at the same time, I was decreasingly interested in the job. I think those who would gel with Amazon's culture will do fine, and for the rest of us it will be obvious to both parties that it's not a good fit.

Interview Questions
  • You're in charge of new business venture x. What do you evaluate in vetting the business potential? Now what is your estimate of the volume we could move (with numbers)?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2009.

Some of the interviewers tested your background by asking questions from your resume. Some interviewers tested core Amazon principles such as ownership, think big, insist on high standards, have a backbone, dealing with ambiguity, customer obsession, strong analytics.

Interview Questions
    • How would you calculate the price of Amazon Prime membership?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

* Very detailed and difficult.
    * 1 day almost 7 hours straight interviewed with 6-7 people, 1 different every hour
    * You don't know who you are interviewing with while you are interviewing so to keep you on your toes.
    * Heavy note taking, recording answers for review during a panel later.
    * They usually bump you down a level when you first start.

Interview Questions
    • Questions around creative, innovation, and entrepreneurship.   Answer Question
    Phone calls back and forth with recruiter negotiating salary and benefits

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kami-meguro (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kami-meguro (Japan)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Total of 2 phases of interviews, the 1st one was with the Hiring Manager and the 2nd(final) phase was the infamous Interview Loop with other 4 people ( 45 minutes each). Each of every one of them asked deeply regarding my previous employment and past experiences. There was data / numerical related questions and one them gave you a case study to discuss the possible solutions.

Interview Questions
    • Business questions regarding how do you handle negotiations( both internal and external), case study of real company related issues.   Answer Question
    Think I would love the culture. The compensation package were good, so I accept it as it is.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you failed at work?
      When did you develop a product that didn't work?

Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Very tough and a long process. There were 7 rounds in total. 5 rounds in a single day. The questions were tough but very perspective in nature. They were keen on understanding the thought process rather than exact answer per se.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question as such. The questions were relevant.   View Answer

The role which was offered didn't suit my requirements

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Email correspondence with an HR rep as well as a recruiter, who scheduled three phone interviews, each an hour long. Very difficult interviews - several tough case questions and prodding follow-up questions designed to fluster you and poke holes in your answers. After the third one, Amazon flew me out to Seattle for a day of in-person meetings. Also very difficult. The interviewers seemed really rushed, and none of them, beside the hiring manager, were on the team for which this position was hiring. They had obviously been well trained by Amazon to parse out the people who are sharp enough and fit their exact mold of what the idea candidate should be.

Interview Questions
    • Pretend you know nothing about Amazon Prime. How would you price it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interview process was pretty hard. It started with three phone screens over three months followed by an onsite interview that lasted all day. I literally walked out of my last interview with a headache due to all the questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions about scenarios using the leadership principles.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Phone screen by hiring manager followed up by full day interview loop. There were five interviews during the interview loop. Each interview has a distinct focus (work history, business case, break even analysis, product spec and cultural fit). The interviewees consisted of peers to the position, a VP level interview and an engineering peer. Be ready for a very analytical interview.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Via a reference from a colleague, I met an Amazon employee for an "informational interview". (My friend knew there were openings in the department but didn't know exactly what they were.) That was a great conversation. We talked about the specific domain and my background, then turned to the openings and narrowed down to one that was the best fit. It sounded like they were in no hurry and would wait to hire only exactly the right people for the team. Then he brought out a sheet of standard old-fashioned behavioral interview questions ("Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision") and I sweated through it, but all the time we were also talking about the domain and the various things Amazon was doing, most of which I hadn't been aware of, which made me very interested in pursuing the position. It ended with him asking for my resume, and outlining the next steps of phone screens and then the on-site interview.

A week later, after prodding my contact, I was contacted by a recruiter, who set up a phone interview. First was with the actual hiring manager--but he didn't want to talk at all about the domain of the job (my area of expertise and the reason I was interested), he wanted to talk about abstracted or hypothetical Product Management situations. Rather, he wanted me to invent situations and then analyze them--kind of like having to write your own test questions, and then answer them! I recognize that that demonstrates cognitive ability, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the actual job of product management. I thought I did OK, at least survived.

Then they set up a second call, which I took as a sign of continued interest. This was with a different manager, not actually in the same department. His questions were also abstract and hypothetical, but he was much better about prompting me through the process and was a lot easier to talk to. I felt like I aced it.

Then, much to my surprise, I got an email from the recruiter saying that they were "pursuing other candidates". And that due to company policy no feedback on my interviews would be available, thank you and goodbye!

Interview Questions
    • Think of a new product or business for Amazon, and describe how you would decide to create the product and launch it.   Answer Question