Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Their HR/Recruiting was definitely more on-the-ball than most after I had been identified for an interview. The interview itself was two 30-minute one-on-ones with people in a similar position at Amazon. I had been warned that the interviews were tough, but even then they exceeded my expectations. Both interviewers used multiple tiers of drilling questions to see if I really knew the stuff inside and out. There were almost no behavioral questions, and we only cursorily went through my resume. Most questions were hard "what would you do if you were in charge of x?"

One of the interviewers was personable and nice, while the other seemed to have a chip on his/her shoulder. He/she made sure to mention where she had gone to school and how many people she was in charge of.

The kool-aid is definitely strong at Amazon, and they're looking for people who will fit in without too much trouble. At the end of the interview, I knew that I had bombed it, but at the same time, I was decreasingly interested in the job. I think those who would gel with Amazon's culture will do fine, and for the rest of us it will be obvious to both parties that it's not a good fit.

Interview Questions

• You're in charge of new business venture x. What do you evaluate in vetting the business potential? Now what is your estimate of the volume we could move (with numbers)?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2009.

Interview

Some of the interviewers tested your background by asking questions from your resume. Some interviewers tested core Amazon principles such as ownership, think big, insist on high standards, have a backbone, dealing with ambiguity, customer obsession, strong analytics.

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate the price of Amazon Prime membership?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

* Very detailed and difficult.
    * 1 day almost 7 hours straight interviewed with 6-7 people, 1 different every hour
    * You don't know who you are interviewing with while you are interviewing so to keep you on your toes.
    * Heavy note taking, recording answers for review during a panel later.
    * They usually bump you down a level when you first start.

Interview Questions

• Questions around creative, innovation, and entrepreneurship.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Phone calls back and forth with recruiter negotiating salary and benefits

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kami-meguro (Japan)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Kami-meguro (Japan)) in April 2013.

Interview

Total of 2 phases of interviews, the 1st one was with the Hiring Manager and the 2nd(final) phase was the infamous Interview Loop with other 4 people ( 45 minutes each). Each of every one of them asked deeply regarding my previous employment and past experiences. There was data / numerical related questions and one them gave you a case study to discuss the possible solutions.

Interview Questions

• Business questions regarding how do you handle negotiations( both internal and external), case study of real company related issues.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Think I would love the culture. The compensation package were good, so I accept it as it is.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you failed at work?
      When did you develop a product that didn't work?

Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Very tough and a long process. There were 7 rounds in total. 5 rounds in a single day. The questions were tough but very perspective in nature. They were keen on understanding the thought process rather than exact answer per se.

Interview Questions

• No specific question as such. The questions were relevant.   1 Answer

The role which was offered didn't suit my requirements

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2014.

Interview

Email correspondence with an HR rep as well as a recruiter, who scheduled three phone interviews, each an hour long. Very difficult interviews - several tough case questions and prodding follow-up questions designed to fluster you and poke holes in your answers. After the third one, Amazon flew me out to Seattle for a day of in-person meetings. Also very difficult. The interviewers seemed really rushed, and none of them, beside the hiring manager, were on the team for which this position was hiring. They had obviously been well trained by Amazon to parse out the people who are sharp enough and fit their exact mold of what the idea candidate should be.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you know nothing about Amazon Prime. How would you price it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty hard. It started with three phone screens over three months followed by an onsite interview that lasted all day. I literally walked out of my last interview with a headache due to all the questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Several questions about scenarios using the leadership principles.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Recruiter reached out over Linkedin, phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager, homework assignment, on-site interviews.

My on-site interviews were as expected. Do your research online, quora, etc. Make sure all of your responses are structured in an analytical format suggested by some of the other responses here on Glassdoor.

Know the 11 or 12 core amazon principles and have exact situational responses based on your experience.

Although I did well, I am guessing they didn't find a personality match with their team. Although disappointed, it's understandable.

The amazon recruiting process is by far the most efficient that I have ever seen. Very thorough, very responsive. Recruiter even coached me on how to prepare for the interviews. I also appreciated the immediate phone call (24 hours) even though I didn't get the job.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Started with the basic phone interview, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Finally, there was an onsite interview that consisted of 6 interviews each lasting about 45-50minutes. The onsite interview was all situational. The interviewers have a preset list of questions and type away rarely engaging except to ask a follow-up from the computer.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the product?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to step up and disagree a team members approach.   1 Answer