Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

2 phone interviews followed by an on-site interview. Interviews were cordial, aimed at understanding the candidate's experiences. Questions related to Amazon's leadership principles and examples about the same. Some questions about introduction of a new product at Amazon and the business plan for that.

Interview Questions

• Get familiar with Amazon's leadership principles and describe a time when type questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Austin, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Telephone interview with hiring manager after initial phone screening with Amazon HR talent scout. Conversational and friendly, without a lot of grilling like a Google interview. A talent scout found me via LinkedIn, and then called to see if I would be willing to chat about opportunities at Amazon. I spoke with the talent scout, indicated great respect but only lukewarm interest if a relocation was required, but still agreed to talk to a hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very open ended, essentially asking "what do you know about us, this market, and how to succeed in it." This led to a thirty minute conversation in which I simply described the state of the market and the forces buffeting Amazon and the rest of the competitive landscape. It was simply an open-ended opportunity for me to say what I knew about the space and how to help their business progress.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Normal behavioral-type interviews with mini cases tacked onto the end. They asked about times when I succeeded and when I failed. They were also interested in when I leveraged customer insights/data to drive an improvement. ONe thing to note - when asked about what makes the work itself fun (not things like food and games) they answered, "we hire young people and we have happy hours." NOT the thing to say to a middle aged person who doesn't drink. I also learned that they push people to the point of failure, and everyone competes with everyone for precious resources to launch their idea - managers included. No thank you to this toxic environment.

Interview Questions

• Nearly every question they asked can be found in these posts. Think about how you would solve a problem that doesn't have an easy solution.   Answer Question

I wasn't a fit for a negative, ultra competitive environment where people aren't interested in each others' successes.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Started with the basic phone interview, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Finally, there was an onsite interview that consisted of 6 interviews each lasting about 45-50minutes. The onsite interview was all situational. The interviewers have a preset list of questions and type away rarely engaging except to ask a follow-up from the computer.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the product?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to step up and disagree a team members approach.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Recruiter reached out over Linkedin, phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager, homework assignment, on-site interviews. My on-site interviews were as expected. Do your research online, quora, etc. Make sure all of your responses are structured in an analytical format suggested by some of the other responses here on Glassdoor. Know the 11 or 12 core amazon principles and have exact situational responses based on your experience. Although I did well, I am guessing they didn't find a personality match with their team. Although disappointed, it's understandable. The amazon recruiting process is by far the most efficient that I have ever seen. Very thorough, very responsive. Recruiter even coached me on how to prepare for the interviews. I also appreciated the immediate phone call (24 hours) even though I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty hard. It started with three phone screens over three months followed by an onsite interview that lasted all day. I literally walked out of my last interview with a headache due to all the questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Several questions about scenarios using the leadership principles.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted promptly by recruiting. Didn't initially like the proposed position but they worked with me to find one I was enthusiastic about it. Set up phone interview which went very well followed by interview day at Amazon. I was expecting the worst from their reputation including other Glassdoor reviews, but everyone was pleasant and professional if a little too scripted. I can't be critical though having experienced some really bad processes at other employers. Finished up actually having enjoyed my day there but ultimately no offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of it was questions about how my professional experience related to the 14 Amazon leadership principles.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was on Campus Recruitment. I submitted the resume through campus and was called for an interview. Overall there were 2 interviews in the 1st round and if we cleared those, we will proceed to another round of 2 interviews. I did not move to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions

• Usual Behavioral questions with a twist like "How do you earn trust in a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Via a reference from a colleague, I met an Amazon employee for an "informational interview". (My friend knew there were openings in the department but didn't know exactly what they were.) That was a great conversation. We talked about the specific domain and my background, then turned to the openings and narrowed down to one that was the best fit. It sounded like they were in no hurry and would wait to hire only exactly the right people for the team. Then he brought out a sheet of standard old-fashioned behavioral interview questions ("Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision") and I sweated through it, but all the time we were also talking about the domain and the various things Amazon was doing, most of which I hadn't been aware of, which made me very interested in pursuing the position. It ended with him asking for my resume, and outlining the next steps of phone screens and then the on-site interview. A week later, after prodding my contact, I was contacted by a recruiter, who set up a phone interview. First was with the actual hiring manager--but he didn't want to talk at all about the domain of the job (my area of expertise and the reason I was interested), he wanted to talk about abstracted or hypothetical Product Management situations. Rather, he wanted me to invent situations and then analyze them--kind of like having to write your own test questions, and then answer them! I recognize that that demonstrates cognitive ability, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the actual job of product management. I thought I did OK, at least survived. Then they set up a second call, which I took as a sign of continued interest. This was with a different manager, not actually in the same department. His questions were also abstract and hypothetical, but he was much better about prompting me through the process and was a lot easier to talk to. I felt like I aced it. Then, much to my surprise, I got an email from the recruiter saying that they were "pursuing other candidates". And that due to company policy no feedback on my interviews would be available, thank you and goodbye!

Interview Questions

• Think of a new product or business for Amazon, and describe how you would decide to create the product and launch it.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Interview

Expect A few rounds of phone conversations before the onsite interview; you might start with one job post but if the recruiter see other fits, they will bring in more people to talk to you. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions that are related to the 14 Amazon leadership principles.