Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.6

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Had initial interview for a position that I wasn't interested in. After I discussed my lack of interest in the initial position, the interviewer sent me over to another area to do an interview. Interviewed for the second position with 2 additional individuals, one of which who would have been my boss. The interview with the manager was easy, straight forward, and involved a small case study. Got a call back within 10 minutes. Did another interview with an individual on a completely separate team. Was another case study, which I didn't do well on. Heard back within a day that I didn't get he job.

Interview Questions
  • What analysis would you use to understand if we should increase the price of Amazon Prime Membership   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Was interviewed by two people. They were very nice.
    First one started asking me if I had any question for him. We spent about 50% of the interview time in my questions. Then went to questions I cannot share with you, but nothing unexpected.
    Second one was more typical, just regular questions and a few minutes for my questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

Found a job posting on their website, submitted resume through a friend at Amazon and got a phone interview that resulted in an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the questions were of the type that I expected. Just be prepared to handle questions where all of the information is not necesearily provded, It happened in all three interviews, the itention seemed to be to evaluate how you approach a problem and analyze data.   Answer Question

I picked up on some things in the intervew proess that indicated that the environment wasn't exactly the best fit for me. While I love the company and really enjoyed the interview process, it just didn't seem to be a good fit. Just a sixth snese kind of thing that made me think that perhaps the reason i interviewed was just a result of the grass seeming greener on the other side and that I was not likely to be more satisfied working at Amazon than I am in my crrent position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Their HR/Recruiting was definitely more on-the-ball than most after I had been identified for an interview. The interview itself was two 30-minute one-on-ones with people in a similar position at Amazon. I had been warned that the interviews were tough, but even then they exceeded my expectations. Both interviewers used multiple tiers of drilling questions to see if I really knew the stuff inside and out. There were almost no behavioral questions, and we only cursorily went through my resume. Most questions were hard "what would you do if you were in charge of x?"

One of the interviewers was personable and nice, while the other seemed to have a chip on his/her shoulder. He/she made sure to mention where she had gone to school and how many people she was in charge of.

The kool-aid is definitely strong at Amazon, and they're looking for people who will fit in without too much trouble. At the end of the interview, I knew that I had bombed it, but at the same time, I was decreasingly interested in the job. I think those who would gel with Amazon's culture will do fine, and for the rest of us it will be obvious to both parties that it's not a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • You're in charge of new business venture x. What do you evaluate in vetting the business potential? Now what is your estimate of the volume we could move (with numbers)?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Had two phone interviews with people in different functions from the position I was interviewing for. Both interviews were scheduled within 2 weeks of initially being asked to interview. Both interviewers were pretty casual but not particularly warm or energetic. Interview was pretty much 50% business case and 50% bahavioral questions. Interviewers spent time discussing the type of person that does well in the Amazon culture: self-starter, able to work in an unstructured environment, willing to take initiative even if it is not part of your job. Since all training is on the job, you have to be able to boot strap yourself pretty quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Why I was interested in working at Amazon.   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of when I had to analyze a large amount of data and what insights I was able to come up with.   Answer Question
    • How would I price something?   Answer Question
    • What Amazon products/services don't make strategic sense to me and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Tough case questions. There was one friendly interviewer, one purposely intimidating, and one neutral

Interview Questions
    Compensation package is great so there's little to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2010.

I applied online and was contacted by a friendly HR person in about a week and a half via email. I had an initial phone interview that was a disaster. I actually finished the interview not really wanting the position. The interviewer was combative, aggressive and not pleasant. As week later I was contacted by the friendly HR person again for a second phone interview. She was so nice that I decided to try again. My second phone interview was the polar opposite of the first. The interviewer was wonderful. He asked probing insightful questions. Don't get me wrong, the interview wasn't easy but it wasn't difficult just to be difficult.
    Then two weeks past and I was invited out to Seattle to interview. I went through a 5.5 hour interview with 6 separate people. It was intense! I had a terrific headache by the end but was also excited about the challenge and the team.
    One and a half weeks later I received an offer in my inbox.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to solve a real world business problem but without all of the background that I needed to answer the question.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2010.

Photo screen interviews take up to 3 times before an actual invitation to an on-site intervew.
    I was approached by the recruiting department of the company. The first interview was with a sr. product manager and then second one was with a peer in the product management team. A lot of case analysis related to the business side. It is definitely one of the most intensive interview processes I have been through. Be papared about setting up pricing strategy, go to market strategy and presentation structure/outlines etc.

Interview Questions
    • How would you set the pricing strategy for Amazon web services?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2009.

The whole recruitment process lasted 2 days, with 2 interviews per day. Besides behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership, when you had to work excess hours, etc.), there were some mini-case questions. These questions refer to real-life problems faced by the interviewer. For instance, one of the interviewers was managing magazines. She told me about a time when she noticed that sales had decreased. She asked me to help her understand what could have gone wrong.

Interview Questions
    • What could cause a decrease in sales of magazine XYZ on Amazon's website?   Answer Question
    • What are the variable costs associated with sending physical products to customers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2009.

I had 2 interviews the same day - face to face interviews. I found the interview by applying to the university job bank and by networking with Amazon current employees. I seems very important the networking to get the interview.
    The culture is very data driven and consumer focused. You need to clearly understand their business model.

Interview Questions
    • How to sell "Live Plants" at Amazon?   Answer Question
    • The asked me questions on my background and then they tested the way i think through questions like: How do calculate the profitability of Prime? what is the biggest opportunity for Amazon? what is the Amazon business model?   Answer Question