Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

3.6

61 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2009.

The whole recruitment process lasted 2 days, with 2 interviews per day. Besides behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership, when you had to work excess hours, etc.), there were some mini-case questions. These questions refer to real-life problems faced by the interviewer. For instance, one of the interviewers was managing magazines. She told me about a time when she noticed that sales had decreased. She asked me to help her understand what could have gone wrong.

Interview Questions
  • What could cause a decrease in sales of magazine XYZ on Amazon's website?   Answer Question
  • What are the variable costs associated with sending physical products to customers?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2009.

Interviews were really fast, that was the best part. 4 interviews. A mix of case and behavioral questions. Interviewed with 2 ppl the first day, then got invited back for the second round with 2 more ppl. The offer came the evening of the second round of interviews. The best part is the speed of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • If you were CEO of Amazon, what would you do?   View Answer
    • Imagine you are starting a new category of sales at Amazon (for example pet supplies), how would you start building the business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2009.

First round was 1:1 interview. Second and final round was also 1:1 interview and occurred the day after first round. Offer extended within two weeks. Very streamlined.

First interview was pretty straightforward. Second interview was tougher and included a case. Offer extended by HR representative who was sketchy. Watch out!

The culture is VERY unique and not for everyone, especially those who value collaboration.

Product Manager Interview

they were good in the communications. went in and had one round that lasted 1 hr, and was rejected. did not agree to give me feedback until process was over

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kami-meguro (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kami-meguro (Japan)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Total of 2 phases of interviews, the 1st one was with the Hiring Manager and the 2nd(final) phase was the infamous Interview Loop with other 4 people ( 45 minutes each). Each of every one of them asked deeply regarding my previous employment and past experiences. There was data / numerical related questions and one them gave you a case study to discuss the possible solutions.

Interview Questions
    • Business questions regarding how do you handle negotiations( both internal and external), case study of real company related issues.   Answer Question
    Think I would love the culture. The compensation package were good, so I accept it as it is.

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Chaotic, stoic and large company questions. Did not feel like a modern tech company.

Interview Questions
    • Question about priorities sequencing when primary objective was completely different. A bit strange IMO.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Was placed in an interview by a job agency that I was working with. I had relevant experience and a strong educational background. Had 1 telephone interview with a particularly unenthusiastic manager. Asked basic questions about myself and described the job itself.

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Straightforward, I would say. The HR person took a week to set up the phone screen and a week to reply. The interviewer was the hiring manager and a knowledgeable one. I did not get past the phone screen but overall the interviewing experience was not cumbersome or bitter.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Give one example when you had to deal with conflict.
      2) How would you decide adding new content to Amazon Videos?
        Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

I applied online end of July and got an email to schedule a phone interview 15 days later. I had a 45 minutes phone interview with a person of the team. That went well, 10 days later I was asked to schedule another phone interview with an HR person.
    After that, I got an email saying they were willing to go further and schedule a whole day of interview. This day was planned for end of september.

I had 5 interviews (including an HR person) from 10 am to 4 pm (with a break at 1 pm, alone), and an Excel test.
    All the interview questions were behavioural questions, as written below.
    The Excel test aims at using some basic functions as vlookup or pivot tables, and be a bit strategic (nothing difficult).
    The interviews lasted about 45 minutes, a bit more for the Excel test.

I really had no fit with the people I met, everybody seemed very stressed and under pressure. Nobody asks about who you really are (hobbies, choices in your career), recruitement is based on your abilities to answer behavioural questions with details and numbers.
    After 3 on site interviews I had no motivation and interest left, so I think I performed badly during the 2 other meetings. That explains why I did not have any offer. I have no regret as the atmostphere of the company did not seduce me at all.

The HR staff told me I would have an answer after 1 week but they called me 3 weeks after only to give me the result of my interviews and explain (with details) why it did not work.
    Apart from that the whole process was very professional.

Interview Questions
    • - Describe a time when you had to quickly make a decision
      - Can You Describe a Time When Your Work Was Criticized and How Did You Handle It?
      - Tell me about a challenge on a project you faced, how you dealt with it, what was your role, and what was the outcome
      - Tell me about the most successful project you've done
      - Tell me about a time when you have been innovative: How?
      - Tell me about the most complex analysis you have worked on
        Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

This is the most interesting interviewing process that I had with any company.
    This is the email I sent to the HR person

Thank you for the email. I do know that Amazon does not give any explanation on what really happened. There is no room to learn and give myself an opportunity to be successful.

Interestingly, this is my third interview (for 3 different Product Managers) with Amazon and I frankly do not understand what Amazon is looking for. If I am not a worthy candidate, why do I keep on getting interviews. If I do not have the skills needed, I would not get past 3 1st round interviews. Most of the places I get my interviews and jobs, it is not this weird and different. Am not sure if it is worth trying for any more jobs at Amazon in the future.

Have an MSEE and a MBA from reputed universities, have enough experience to play a good role in the Kindle group or Digital teams, but I guess that is not enough.

Amazon may be one of the best companies in the world, but I do not want to torture myself or put myself through unsuccessful attempts and interesting scenarios by the recruiting teams and hiring managers anymore.

I went above and beyond trying to get in touch with you calling from Europe
    (even after there was a mess up at your end). I was talking to the teams in Seattle at 12am/1am at my end to accommodate your schedules for making it to the group interviews.

You do realize that there are a of lot of people in my situation and I hope this does not act negatively for Amazon in the long run. I would like to request you to take me off the list in the future job opportunities at Amazon. I am sure my skill sets are taken into consideration more at a different place.

Please forward this to the upper management if needed.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a decision that did not work in your favor and how did you respond to it.   Answer Question