Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

* Very detailed and difficult. * 1 day almost 7 hours straight interviewed with 6-7 people, 1 different every hour * You don't know who you are interviewing with while you are interviewing so to keep you on your toes. * Heavy note taking, recording answers for review during a panel later. * They usually bump you down a level when you first start.

Interview Questions

• Questions around creative, innovation, and entrepreneurship.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Phone calls back and forth with recruiter negotiating salary and benefits

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

2 rounds of 45-min phone interviews with Sr Product Managers, 3r 45-min phone interview with Category Manager. The questions were mostly behavioral besides the basic why you want to work at Amazon, why this role. Some cases questions: What three improvements would you make on the website? Amazon is considering starting Amazon.co.Italy. What consideration would you make to determine if it's a good idea? How would you start? How would Amazon enter the smartphone market with the Amazon payment tool? (similar to Paypal)

Interview Questions

• how you would analyze a particular decision or situation, what financial model you would build to answer the question posed   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

A recruiter got in touch with me after viewing my resume in my school's resume book. the interview consisted of 2 45 minute phone interviews. First Interview: 1. What is your ideal job? 2. What is your ideal workplace? 3. Favorite subjects at b school and why? 4. why Amazon?

Interview Questions

• design a product for a blind person. detail out all the steps involved. how will you market this product?   Answer Question
    • describe your most significant accomplishment? why was it significant?   Answer Question
    • why product management?   Answer Question
    • Amazon "shop and save". how will you negotiate with a vendor who sells products that can be bought under "shop and save" scheme.   Answer Question
    • what is your favorite Amazon product? Kindle / webservices/ Prime. Accordingly the interviewer dug deep into details   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

Recruiters and people must be very overworked at Amazon. Poor communication. Had a phone interview set up with the hiring manager. She was a no show. No email, no nothing apologizing for the miss. Heard back from the recruiter the next week about rescheduling. Yikes! Seems like the rumors are true about this workplace burning people out. Not worth it.

Interview Questions

• Details on how you specifically were involved in the success of a product launch.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

Had initial interview for a position that I wasn't interested in. After I discussed my lack of interest in the initial position, the interviewer sent me over to another area to do an interview. Interviewed for the second position with 2 additional individuals, one of which who would have been my boss. The interview with the manager was easy, straight forward, and involved a small case study. Got a call back within 10 minutes. Did another interview with an individual on a completely separate team. Was another case study, which I didn't do well on. Heard back within a day that I didn't get he job.

Interview Questions

• What analysis would you use to understand if we should increase the price of Amazon Prime Membership   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

Was interviewed by two people. They were very nice. First one started asking me if I had any question for him. We spent about 50% of the interview time in my questions. Then went to questions I cannot share with you, but nothing unexpected. Second one was more typical, just regular questions and a few minutes for my questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

Found a job posting on their website, submitted resume through a friend at Amazon and got a phone interview that resulted in an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• I would say that the questions were of the type that I expected. Just be prepared to handle questions where all of the information is not necesearily provded, It happened in all three interviews, the itention seemed to be to evaluate how you approach a problem and analyze data.   Answer Question

I picked up on some things in the intervew proess that indicated that the environment wasn't exactly the best fit for me. While I love the company and really enjoyed the interview process, it just didn't seem to be a good fit. Just a sixth snese kind of thing that made me think that perhaps the reason i interviewed was just a result of the grass seeming greener on the other side and that I was not likely to be more satisfied working at Amazon than I am in my crrent position.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Their HR/Recruiting was definitely more on-the-ball than most after I had been identified for an interview. The interview itself was two 30-minute one-on-ones with people in a similar position at Amazon. I had been warned that the interviews were tough, but even then they exceeded my expectations. Both interviewers used multiple tiers of drilling questions to see if I really knew the stuff inside and out. There were almost no behavioral questions, and we only cursorily went through my resume. Most questions were hard "what would you do if you were in charge of x?" One of the interviewers was personable and nice, while the other seemed to have a chip on his/her shoulder. He/she made sure to mention where she had gone to school and how many people she was in charge of. The kool-aid is definitely strong at Amazon, and they're looking for people who will fit in without too much trouble. At the end of the interview, I knew that I had bombed it, but at the same time, I was decreasingly interested in the job. I think those who would gel with Amazon's culture will do fine, and for the rest of us it will be obvious to both parties that it's not a good fit.

Interview Questions

• You're in charge of new business venture x. What do you evaluate in vetting the business potential? Now what is your estimate of the volume we could move (with numbers)?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with people in different functions from the position I was interviewing for. Both interviews were scheduled within 2 weeks of initially being asked to interview. Both interviewers were pretty casual but not particularly warm or energetic. Interview was pretty much 50% business case and 50% bahavioral questions. Interviewers spent time discussing the type of person that does well in the Amazon culture: self-starter, able to work in an unstructured environment, willing to take initiative even if it is not part of your job. Since all training is on the job, you have to be able to boot strap yourself pretty quickly.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in working at Amazon.   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of when I had to analyze a large amount of data and what insights I was able to come up with.   Answer Question
    • How would I price something?   Answer Question
    • What Amazon products/services don't make strategic sense to me and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

Tough case questions. There was one friendly interviewer, one purposely intimidating, and one neutral

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Compensation package is great so there's little to negotiate