Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I got the call for first round of interview through a referral. The interviewer gave me an overview about the role first. He did ask me couple of questions on SQL and I answered one right and another wrong. He shifted to more behavioral questions about resume. He was impressed by my stories but said that I will be good fit for product manager but not this role.

Interview Question – Difference between outer join/inner join, where/having.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied in-person - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

Interview Details – - Internal Candidate, Full Interview Loop.

Interview Question – None. I was prepared. Know the core competencies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – Once I submitted my resume, I was contacted by the HR department, asking me to select five possible dates and times for the phone interview. After I have provided the dates, I have again been contacted by HR to set the exact date and time. On the day of the interview I was contacted by the hiring manager. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. I was asked the following questions: "Why Amazon?"
"What are your duties in your current position?" At the end of the interview I was allowed to ask questions about the position and advised that I will be contacted by The HR. I have received HR response the day after the phone interview. Overall, the whole interviewing process from the time Amazon contacted me for the first time to final HR response took about a week.

Interview Question – I was given a detailed description of the job I was applying for and asked what my first steps would be, once I got the position.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was not as intense as I have heard it would be. I did have many interviews, and the interviewers did ask many detailed questions about my work. However, the questions were not too difficult, because I had in depth knowledge of the projects I used in my examples.

The first phone interview I had was with a recruiter. He asked several basic questions. He explained the job, but did not go into detail at all. He said that he was unable to disclose too many details about what I would be doing. He basically gave me a description of a job that did not match the job description of which I was applying. However, the job description was vague. A certain aspect of my resume had got his attention and he told me the interviewers would be focusing on that. I was also surprised when the recruiter asked how much I was making at my current job, what my salary expectations were, and if I'm renting or own a home.

The next phone interview was with a senior manager. He dug deep into my work. When I would explain a project, he would ask several questions about it. He also made suggestions to my work of alternatives routes, and I explained why or why not that would work.

The next phone interview I had was with another manager. She asked questions that were more behavioral.

The next interview was at Amazon headquarters in Seattle. I flew in the evening before the interview. The day of my interview, I was scheduled to meet with five different people. The first two interviews were with the same people I did my phone interview with. They asked similar questions. The third interview was with the recruiter. Mostly he did the talking. The fourth interview was difficult. The interviewer honed in on one specific skill set and we talked about that the entire 45 minutes. I'm not sure I did well on that part. The final interview was with human resources. HR asked questions about how I've improved customer experience and behavioral questions.

The first week went by after my interview, and I heard nothing. The second week went by. The first day after two weeks went by, I sent my recruiter an e-mail thanking him again for opportunity to interview and asked if they had a timeframe of when they will contact candidates. I was originally told in my interview that they would have an answer to me in two weeks. Another week went by and I heard nothing. I called my recruiter and left a voicemail and also sent an e-mail basically inquiring again.

It's been over two months now and I never heard back from them. I even check the hiring portal every day and my status is still "Under Review". I find this almost insulting that a company of their stature would not provide an e-mail, letter, or phone call to candidates after the interview process. I spent a large amount of time preparing my resume and prepping for my interviews. Not to mention I had to take hours of vacation time to make the phone calls and in-person interview happen. I've never heard of a company doing this, but after looking at some blogs and articles from Forbes, I have found that some companies do this as a way to avoid confrontation. That's sad.

Interview Question – What was your most innovating idea at your present job?   Answer Question

Interview Details – One phone interview asking your experience and background

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – It was very professional handled. Booking time, confirm phone member to call, provide company overviews, etc. The interviewer was on time to call.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward - 2 separate phone interviews plus one in-person interview with team of a half dozen (hiring manager, team members, others). I should say that this last interview was one person at a time, rather than a panel interview.

Interview Question – I didn't get asked anything out of the ordinary at all. They have their list of behavioural questions and each team member had a different way of asking the question or drilling down after answering. No trick questions, brain-teasers, or what is your favourite animal types of questions whatsoever.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Interviews are tough here. Back to back with 5-6 people on the interview loop. Interviewers are not super concerned with how you are doing, forcing you to ask the awkward question, "Can I use the restroom before we start." Bring your own water bottle and a power bar or two!

Interview Question – How do you deal with ambiguity   View Answer

Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was contacted for this position by a recruiter at Amazon who found my resume in their resume pool. They communicated through Email and attached a job description. I responded with my interest and the recruiter set up an initial phone interview with the supervisor for this position.

This first interview was a bit challenging, the supervisor asked a few background questions and a few "what-ifs".

One day latter I moved on to next step, which was a written sample based on one of two questions. They explained it was to test my written communication skills.

I heard back from that the following week and was moved on to the 2nd phone interview that same week. This was very similar to the first, with background, how it relates etc.

Finally, I got the in-person set up for 2 weeks after the 2nd phone interview. This was a 5.5 hour interview loop with 7 different people, 1 recruiter, the supervisor, the director of that group, 3 people in similar roles within the group and 1 person outside the dept.

Half of the interviews were background with some situation questions, nothing too difficult. They wanted me to look over their leadership values before hand, and I could see how a lot of the questions were geared towards fitting into those.

The other half of the interviews were technical, they wanted a lot of database experience and someone with a higher degree of economics than I had, this seemed to frustrate some of the interviewers, to the point where when I was having trouble answering one of the questions, the interviewer took up a whiteboard pen and said "here, this is the answer, ok?", and proceeded to just write the answer without giving me time to do it on my own.

In the end, I think my background was not what they were looking for, but it was an educational process.

Interview Question – How would you create a price for Amazon Prime   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Got contacted by a recruiter through school; set up a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. The person was pretty cold; he had been a program manager for 7 years and said he took 3-4 interviews on a daily basis - was pretty scary especially since I was unprepared -- so rule number 1 -- prepare very well

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!