Amazon.com Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone Screen, followed by a test (which was fairly easy), and a final interview on campus. Final interview had 4 rounds conducted by 4 different interviewers. Mostly behavioral questions, but one of the rounds was to test your analytical skills.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Talent adquisition Department handled the coordination very professionally. The Logistics and Operation hiring managers asked very interesting questions trying to determine if candidate was fit for the culture and solving problems with customer in mind, as well as to effectively manage cost saving and efficient routes to deliver goods. Process was done during 3 phone interviews.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Know your leadership principles, as these will be the basis for the interview. Each interviewer focuses on a different one and uses STAR method questioning. Have numbers and be prepared for an all day grueling series of hour long interviews. Have an equal number of questions yourself. Avoid a heavy lunch, as it will slow you down for the second half.

Interview Questions

• What makes you believe that you are a "raise the bar" higher than at least half of the people currently here?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be prepared with a full business case to justify any additional compensation requested.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Typical phone interview with HR with basics about background. Had to contact several times over the phone to clearly establish expectations in terms of role. I was contacted by multiple business groups for multiple roles, however I did not see a good fit. AMZ seems to have good opportunities, however the candidate selection process needs to improve. Also, program manager interviewing should take time to understand the candidates background and their interest as opposed to trying to 'sell' the roles that they are trying to fill. It becomes obvious to the candidate that such roles / team managers would not be a good fit, even if the opportunity is very good.

Interview Questions

• Was contacted to be interviewed with many business groups. Questions were scenario based and had to provide responses based on real time / project experiences.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

If the interview process was any indication of how Amazon.com operates, it would not be a company I would want to work for. They had to reschedule my phone interviews 4 different times. By the third time they rescheduled, I made up my mind and lost interest in the job.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Interview

I was added by an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn. I contacted him right away with an email saying I am interested in PM roles at Amazon and within a day of my email, he replied back asking for my resume so he can share it with hiring managers. I did it immediately and the second day he got back saying a hiring manager is interested in doing a phone interview with me. I was really impressed with how fast he moved things around. The hiring manager chose me for a Sr. PM role though that job description asked for more than double the experience I had. So I clarified during the interview that though I am interested in the position, my experience is less than the one asked for in the job description. The hiring manager was interviewing me and she said she appreciated that I was setting the right expectations with her and its not a problem since her team has PM roles open too. She conducted the interview. I thought it went well. The recruiter contacted me that I was recommended to be interviewed for PM role and whether I would be willing to do it. I said yes and then a second phone interview was scheduled for the following week. Both phone interviews were similar. I was asked to described a project I have done end-to-end, and then followed up with lots of conflict questions asking for examples from my experience where I was in a difficult situation and how I managed it.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked were: 1. Tell me about a time when you had to think of more than one way to convince a person to agree with an idea. 2. Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a person and how you handled it. 3. Tell me about a time when you were at fault and how you handled it. 4. Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation. 5. Tell me what you struggle in/ you would like to improve about yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

First word that comes to mind - effortless. They flew me out, provided detailed information as to what to expect pre-, during-, and post-interview. The recruiter touched base prior to the interview to make sure I didn't have any last minute questions, and followed through on every expectation set. Overall, it was a lovely experience, the people seem to live the culture of supporting a great "customer experience", and it seemed they went out of their way to make sure I had a great experience!

Interview Questions

• "What's the most innovative thing you've ever created?"   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Interview

2 calls + On-site. Calls were basic, centered around key components of your resume. Stick to 1-2 key innovative/ disruptive things u'v turned around in terms of product or decision etc. On-site is a 7 hour session. Its pretty conversational, so try connecting with each of the interviewers (likewise with the calls). Use the STAR approach, as the interviewers are busy on their computers taking down notes on what u'v said etc, so make it easy for them to jot stuff down. They will follow up with cross questions, so be prepared, but be brief.

Interview Questions

• None. U can expect to be repeating a few replies in most, if not all of the interviews.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Interview

I got the call for first round of interview through a referral. The interviewer gave me an overview about the role first. He did ask me couple of questions on SQL and I answered one right and another wrong. He shifted to more behavioral questions about resume. He was impressed by my stories but said that I will be good fit for product manager but not this role.

Interview Questions

• Difference between outer join/inner join, where/having.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

Once I submitted my resume, I was contacted by the HR department, asking me to select five possible dates and times for the phone interview. After I have provided the dates, I have again been contacted by HR to set the exact date and time. On the day of the interview I was contacted by the hiring manager. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. I was asked the following questions: "Why Amazon?" "What are your duties in your current position?" At the end of the interview I was allowed to ask questions about the position and advised that I will be contacted by The HR. I have received HR response the day after the phone interview. Overall, the whole interviewing process from the time Amazon contacted me for the first time to final HR response took about a week.

Interview Questions

• I was given a detailed description of the job I was applying for and asked what my first steps would be, once I got the position.   Answer Question