Amazon.com

Updated Jan 13, 2015

3.5

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Know your leadership principles, as these will be the basis for the interview. Each interviewer focuses on a different one and uses STAR method questioning. Have numbers and be prepared for an all day grueling series of hour long interviews. Have an equal number of questions yourself. Avoid a heavy lunch, as it will slow you down for the second half.

Interview Questions
  • What makes you believe that you are a "raise the bar" higher than at least half of the people currently here?   Answer Question
Be prepared with a full business case to justify any additional compensation requested.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I was added by an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn. I contacted him right away with an email saying I am interested in PM roles at Amazon and within a day of my email, he replied back asking for my resume so he can share it with hiring managers. I did it immediately and the second day he got back saying a hiring manager is interested in doing a phone interview with me.

I was really impressed with how fast he moved things around. The hiring manager chose me for a Sr. PM role though that job description asked for more than double the experience I had. So I clarified during the interview that though I am interested in the position, my experience is less than the one asked for in the job description. The hiring manager was interviewing me and she said she appreciated that I was setting the right expectations with her and its not a problem since her team has PM roles open too.

She conducted the interview. I thought it went well. The recruiter contacted me that I was recommended to be interviewed for PM role and whether I would be willing to do it. I said yes and then a second phone interview was scheduled for the following week.

Both phone interviews were similar. I was asked to described a project I have done end-to-end, and then followed up with lots of conflict questions asking for examples from my experience where I was in a difficult situation and how I managed it.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked were:
      1. Tell me about a time when you had to think of more than one way to convince a person to agree with an idea.
      2. Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a person and how you handled it.
      3. Tell me about a time when you were at fault and how you handled it.
      4. Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation.
      5. Tell me what you struggle in/ you would like to improve about yourself.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

First word that comes to mind - effortless. They flew me out, provided detailed information as to what to expect pre-, during-, and post-interview. The recruiter touched base prior to the interview to make sure I didn't have any last minute questions, and followed through on every expectation set. Overall, it was a lovely experience, the people seem to live the culture of supporting a great "customer experience", and it seemed they went out of their way to make sure I had a great experience!

Interview Questions
    • "What's the most innovative thing you've ever created?"   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

2 calls + On-site. Calls were basic, centered around key components of your resume. Stick to 1-2 key innovative/ disruptive things u'v turned around in terms of product or decision etc. On-site is a 7 hour session. Its pretty conversational, so try connecting with each of the interviewers (likewise with the calls). Use the STAR approach, as the interviewers are busy on their computers taking down notes on what u'v said etc, so make it easy for them to jot stuff down. They will follow up with cross questions, so be prepared, but be brief.

Interview Questions
    • None. U can expect to be repeating a few replies in most, if not all of the interviews.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I got the call for first round of interview through a referral. The interviewer gave me an overview about the role first. He did ask me couple of questions on SQL and I answered one right and another wrong. He shifted to more behavioral questions about resume. He was impressed by my stories but said that I will be good fit for product manager but not this role.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between outer join/inner join, where/having.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Once I submitted my resume, I was contacted by the HR department, asking me to select five possible dates and times for the phone interview. After I have provided the dates, I have again been contacted by HR to set the exact date and time. On the day of the interview I was contacted by the hiring manager. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. I was asked the following questions: "Why Amazon?"
    "What are your duties in your current position?" At the end of the interview I was allowed to ask questions about the position and advised that I will be contacted by The HR. I have received HR response the day after the phone interview. Overall, the whole interviewing process from the time Amazon contacted me for the first time to final HR response took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a detailed description of the job I was applying for and asked what my first steps would be, once I got the position.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

One phone interview asking your experience and background

Program Manager Interview

It was very professional handled. Booking time, confirm phone member to call, provide company overviews, etc. The interviewer was on time to call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

The interview process was not as intense as I have heard it would be. I did have many interviews, and the interviewers did ask many detailed questions about my work. However, the questions were not too difficult, because I had in depth knowledge of the projects I used in my examples.

The first phone interview I had was with a recruiter. He asked several basic questions. He explained the job, but did not go into detail at all. He said that he was unable to disclose too many details about what I would be doing. He basically gave me a description of a job that did not match the job description of which I was applying. However, the job description was vague. A certain aspect of my resume had got his attention and he told me the interviewers would be focusing on that. I was also surprised when the recruiter asked how much I was making at my current job, what my salary expectations were, and if I'm renting or own a home.

The next phone interview was with a senior manager. He dug deep into my work. When I would explain a project, he would ask several questions about it. He also made suggestions to my work of alternatives routes, and I explained why or why not that would work.

The next phone interview I had was with another manager. She asked questions that were more behavioral.

The next interview was at Amazon headquarters in Seattle. I flew in the evening before the interview. The day of my interview, I was scheduled to meet with five different people. The first two interviews were with the same people I did my phone interview with. They asked similar questions. The third interview was with the recruiter. Mostly he did the talking. The fourth interview was difficult. The interviewer honed in on one specific skill set and we talked about that the entire 45 minutes. I'm not sure I did well on that part. The final interview was with human resources. HR asked questions about how I've improved customer experience and behavioral questions.

The first week went by after my interview, and I heard nothing. The second week went by. The first day after two weeks went by, I sent my recruiter an e-mail thanking him again for opportunity to interview and asked if they had a timeframe of when they will contact candidates. I was originally told in my interview that they would have an answer to me in two weeks. Another week went by and I heard nothing. I called my recruiter and left a voicemail and also sent an e-mail basically inquiring again.

It's been over two months now and I never heard back from them. I even check the hiring portal every day and my status is still "Under Review". I find this almost insulting that a company of their stature would not provide an e-mail, letter, or phone call to candidates after the interview process. I spent a large amount of time preparing my resume and prepping for my interviews. Not to mention I had to take hours of vacation time to make the phone calls and in-person interview happen. I've never heard of a company doing this, but after looking at some blogs and articles from Forbes, I have found that some companies do this as a way to avoid confrontation. That's sad.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most innovating idea at your present job?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interviews are tough here. Back to back with 5-6 people on the interview loop. Interviewers are not super concerned with how you are doing, forcing you to ask the awkward question, "Can I use the restroom before we start." Bring your own water bottle and a power bar or two!