Amazon.com Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was not as intense as I have heard it would be. I did have many interviews, and the interviewers did ask many detailed questions about my work. However, the questions were not too difficult, because I had in depth knowledge of the projects I used in my examples.

The first phone interview I had was with a recruiter. He asked several basic questions. He explained the job, but did not go into detail at all. He said that he was unable to disclose too many details about what I would be doing. He basically gave me a description of a job that did not match the job description of which I was applying. However, the job description was vague. A certain aspect of my resume had got his attention and he told me the interviewers would be focusing on that. I was also surprised when the recruiter asked how much I was making at my current job, what my salary expectations were, and if I'm renting or own a home.

The next phone interview was with a senior manager. He dug deep into my work. When I would explain a project, he would ask several questions about it. He also made suggestions to my work of alternatives routes, and I explained why or why not that would work.

The next phone interview I had was with another manager. She asked questions that were more behavioral.

The next interview was at Amazon headquarters in Seattle. I flew in the evening before the interview. The day of my interview, I was scheduled to meet with five different people. The first two interviews were with the same people I did my phone interview with. They asked similar questions. The third interview was with the recruiter. Mostly he did the talking. The fourth interview was difficult. The interviewer honed in on one specific skill set and we talked about that the entire 45 minutes. I'm not sure I did well on that part. The final interview was with human resources. HR asked questions about how I've improved customer experience and behavioral questions.

The first week went by after my interview, and I heard nothing. The second week went by. The first day after two weeks went by, I sent my recruiter an e-mail thanking him again for opportunity to interview and asked if they had a timeframe of when they will contact candidates. I was originally told in my interview that they would have an answer to me in two weeks. Another week went by and I heard nothing. I called my recruiter and left a voicemail and also sent an e-mail basically inquiring again.

It's been over two months now and I never heard back from them. I even check the hiring portal every day and my status is still "Under Review". I find this almost insulting that a company of their stature would not provide an e-mail, letter, or phone call to candidates after the interview process. I spent a large amount of time preparing my resume and prepping for my interviews. Not to mention I had to take hours of vacation time to make the phone calls and in-person interview happen. I've never heard of a company doing this, but after looking at some blogs and articles from Forbes, I have found that some companies do this as a way to avoid confrontation. That's sad.

Interview Questions

• What was your most innovating idea at your present job?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I was contacted for this position by a recruiter at Amazon who found my resume in their resume pool. They communicated through Email and attached a job description. I responded with my interest and the recruiter set up an initial phone interview with the supervisor for this position.

This first interview was a bit challenging, the supervisor asked a few background questions and a few "what-ifs".

One day latter I moved on to next step, which was a written sample based on one of two questions. They explained it was to test my written communication skills.

I heard back from that the following week and was moved on to the 2nd phone interview that same week. This was very similar to the first, with background, how it relates etc.

Finally, I got the in-person set up for 2 weeks after the 2nd phone interview. This was a 5.5 hour interview loop with 7 different people, 1 recruiter, the supervisor, the director of that group, 3 people in similar roles within the group and 1 person outside the dept.

Half of the interviews were background with some situation questions, nothing too difficult. They wanted me to look over their leadership values before hand, and I could see how a lot of the questions were geared towards fitting into those.

The other half of the interviews were technical, they wanted a lot of database experience and someone with a higher degree of economics than I had, this seemed to frustrate some of the interviewers, to the point where when I was having trouble answering one of the questions, the interviewer took up a whiteboard pen and said "here, this is the answer, ok?", and proceeded to just write the answer without giving me time to do it on my own.

In the end, I think my background was not what they were looking for, but it was an educational process.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Interviews are tough here. Back to back with 5-6 people on the interview loop. Interviewers are not super concerned with how you are doing, forcing you to ask the awkward question, "Can I use the restroom before we start." Bring your own water bottle and a power bar or two!

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with ambiguity   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview

4-5 rounds of interview to assess individual on the desired skill set. amazon leadership principles are often used as benchmark against how questions are framed, Questions are asked around ownership, bias for action, deepdive, you are expected to provide examples from your exp on how you have demonstrated these traits

Interview Questions

• the most un expected fact was that no personal questions were asked to understand the persons background   Answer Question

Negotiation

i did accepted with out negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Pretty straightforward - 2 separate phone interviews plus one in-person interview with team of a half dozen (hiring manager, team members, others). I should say that this last interview was one person at a time, rather than a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• I didn't get asked anything out of the ordinary at all. They have their list of behavioural questions and each team member had a different way of asking the question or drilling down after answering. No trick questions, brain-teasers, or what is your favourite animal types of questions whatsoever.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter through school; set up a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. The person was pretty cold; he had been a program manager for 7 years and said he took 3-4 interviews on a daily basis - was pretty scary especially since I was unprepared -- so rule number 1 -- prepare very well

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

Interview

I was contacted out of the blue by a recruiter, who was very nice. I don't have any background in retail, e-commerce, etc., so I was rather surprised that Amazon was interested in me. The recruiter indicated that there were several opportunities that he thought I would be a good match for, and proceeded to set me up with a phone interview with a manager whose background he thought was similar to mine. The actual phone interview, however, was oddly impersonal. It was rigidly structured -- 5 minutes for the interviewer to introduce himself, 10 minutes for him to ask me questions, 12-ish minutes for a "case" study, and then he allowed me to ask him 2-3 questions. I tried to make it the tone more "conversational" but he seemed annoyed that I was taking him off script, so I stopped because he clearly didn't care about interacting with me in any genuine way. It was a stark difference from my interaction with the recruiter.

I was never explicitly told what job I was interviewing for, and the case study turned out to be very specific to the interviewer's exact job. I know that tech companies like to see "how you think" but to me, this just felt like an exercise in making stuff up and pretending that's how I'd legitimately solve problems on the job. i.e., "Fake it 'til you make it." The interview didn't feel like it had any substance, so I'm not disappointed that it didn't ultimately go anywhere.

Interview Questions

• Design a buy/sell pricing algorithm for our secondary marketplace in Product Category X.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

Typical interview questions. They wanted specific answers to vague scenarios, and declined to provide context.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was a good process, and the recruiters were supportive and communicative throughout. A recruiter reached out to me, we scheduled a phone screen. Following that I had two other phone screens. I was asked to submit a writing sample. I also was flown out to Seattle and met onsite with five different people. Lots of different questions ranging from 'tell me about your experience' to 'how would you solve this problem.' Everyone was very friendly- they are really looking for smart, creative and truly innovative people who think big, have good ideas and can back them up.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. Two phone interviews and then they flew me in to visit. I had contact with several people throughout the process so there were a couple of communication problems. I showed them samples of my work and

It seemed like they made up this position and started looking for a special person to fill it without having a good idea of who they were looking for. The hiring manager described a job that was different from the job description. It could have been their approach at scoping people out throughout the industry to see what's going on outside of Amazon. They said they are not "moving forward for the role" but it's still up on their careers site. Who knows.

Everybody was very nice.