Amazon.com Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.4

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was contacted for this position by a recruiter at Amazon who found my resume in their resume pool. They communicated through Email and attached a job description. I responded with my interest and the recruiter set up an initial phone interview with the supervisor for this position.

This first interview was a bit challenging, the supervisor asked a few background questions and a few "what-ifs".

One day latter I moved on to next step, which was a written sample based on one of two questions. They explained it was to test my written communication skills.

I heard back from that the following week and was moved on to the 2nd phone interview that same week. This was very similar to the first, with background, how it relates etc.

Finally, I got the in-person set up for 2 weeks after the 2nd phone interview. This was a 5.5 hour interview loop with 7 different people, 1 recruiter, the supervisor, the director of that group, 3 people in similar roles within the group and 1 person outside the dept.

Half of the interviews were background with some situation questions, nothing too difficult. They wanted me to look over their leadership values before hand, and I could see how a lot of the questions were geared towards fitting into those.

The other half of the interviews were technical, they wanted a lot of database experience and someone with a higher degree of economics than I had, this seemed to frustrate some of the interviewers, to the point where when I was having trouble answering one of the questions, the interviewer took up a whiteboard pen and said "here, this is the answer, ok?", and proceeded to just write the answer without giving me time to do it on my own.

In the end, I think my background was not what they were looking for, but it was an educational process.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Got contacted by a recruiter through school; set up a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. The person was pretty cold; he had been a program manager for 7 years and said he took 3-4 interviews on a daily basis - was pretty scary especially since I was unprepared -- so rule number 1 -- prepare very well

Program Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

I was contacted out of the blue by a recruiter, who was very nice. I don't have any background in retail, e-commerce, etc., so I was rather surprised that Amazon was interested in me. The recruiter indicated that there were several opportunities that he thought I would be a good match for, and proceeded to set me up with a phone interview with a manager whose background he thought was similar to mine. The actual phone interview, however, was oddly impersonal. It was rigidly structured -- 5 minutes for the interviewer to introduce himself, 10 minutes for him to ask me questions, 12-ish minutes for a "case" study, and then he allowed me to ask him 2-3 questions. I tried to make it the tone more "conversational" but he seemed annoyed that I was taking him off script, so I stopped because he clearly didn't care about interacting with me in any genuine way. It was a stark difference from my interaction with the recruiter.

I was never explicitly told what job I was interviewing for, and the case study turned out to be very specific to the interviewer's exact job. I know that tech companies like to see "how you think" but to me, this just felt like an exercise in making stuff up and pretending that's how I'd legitimately solve problems on the job. i.e., "Fake it 'til you make it." The interview didn't feel like it had any substance, so I'm not disappointed that it didn't ultimately go anywhere.

Interview Questions
    • Design a buy/sell pricing algorithm for our secondary marketplace in Product Category X.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2008.

Super long-winded, way too many people involved in the process, asked a lot of those stupid esoteric questions ("If I asked you to build an elevator...,") 1/2 of the 7 people who interviewed me were pretentious morons / other half cool, sort of a cult feel to the place. Really disliked it.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview: "Would you like to work here?"   View Answer

Felt that the people were lame.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Typical interview questions. They wanted specific answers to vague scenarios, and declined to provide context.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2011.

I had two phone interviews for a SharePoint program manager, then the job description changed to focus more on SharePoint dev, which I was then ineligible for. The recruiter put me in touch with the hiring manager from another group for a program manager where I met with him in person. He had the notes from the previous phone interviews. The in person with the hiring manager went well enough to move forward with an all day 1:1 interview loop with 6 people. A lot of the interview questions involved provided detailed examples of my experience in leadership, teamwork, communication, project management, problem solving and critical thinking. They want to understand how you process information and think through a problem. The bar raiser was my favorite and most challenging interview. They are someone who is at an advanced level of interviewing, is a key decision maker in the hiring process, and is not affiliated with the hiring team. They will ask you challenging questions that are scenario based and expect a lot of detail. For example, I had a question around which involved launching a 2 different product lines in a country, both were high priority to launch by the holiday season and you only have the resources to do one. How would you launch both before the holidays.

My advice is to treat these meetings like you already have the job and this is simply a working meeting. Be prepared to whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • You have two products to launch in a new country before the holiday and you have the resources to only launch one product at a time. Walk me through how you would deal with this situation.   View Answers (3)
    • Tell me about a challenge on a project you faced, how you dealt with it, what was your role, and what was the outcome.   View Answer
    I received an offer I was happy with at the time. If I could go back and negotiate, I would have negotiated the option to telecommute at least 1 day out of the week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

It was a good process, and the recruiters were supportive and communicative throughout. A recruiter reached out to me, we scheduled a phone screen. Following that I had two other phone screens. I was asked to submit a writing sample. I also was flown out to Seattle and met onsite with five different people. Lots of different questions ranging from 'tell me about your experience' to 'how would you solve this problem.' Everyone was very friendly- they are really looking for smart, creative and truly innovative people who think big, have good ideas and can back them up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2011.

I got the interview call in one week after my application. The interview was scheduled a week after that. It was mostly behavioral and qualitative case study.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you failed and what did you do.   Answer Question
    • Describe one thing you did not like about your previous company.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

Contacted by recruiter. Two phone interviews and then they flew me in to visit. I had contact with several people throughout the process so there were a couple of communication problems. I showed them samples of my work and

It seemed like they made up this position and started looking for a special person to fill it without having a good idea of who they were looking for. The hiring manager described a job that was different from the job description. It could have been their approach at scoping people out throughout the industry to see what's going on outside of Amazon. They said they are not "moving forward for the role" but it's still up on their careers site. Who knows.

Everybody was very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2011.

It took 3 days to get an interview once my resume was submitted. The staffing agency sent me an e-mail Thursday at 4pm asking if I could be at Amazon for 3 in-person interviews the next morning. I said sure (I had been out of work for almost 2.5 years-though one year of that I had been in school for my MS degree).
    I did research on glassdoor and really had no idea what to expect other than NOT to wear a suit.

The first person showed up, very casually and we chatted about the new office (it was two months old in SLU area) and tried to find the conference room (which we eventually did). He asked about stuff on my resume. Then, he asked me to go to the whiteboard. He gave me a product and deadline and asked what I would do. He posed a few more challenges and asked what I would do.

The next interviewer focused more on my resume. He was the sensei black belt and asked about my Lean Six Sigma training and how I've utilized that in past projects. The whole interview process was very laid back. These people were very friendly. We laughed and it seemed very informal (other than there were key questions that they were supposed to ask).

The third interviewer was the boss. He seemed to ask the toughest questions. Again, very laid back guy. Asked how I would solve further problems with even tighter deadlines. Think outside the box when giving answers, they really value that!

At the end, I asked the manager when I would hear back. The interview was Friday and he said they had more interviews scheduled and those would wrap up Tuesday. So Tuesday or Wednesday, I would know from my staffing agency about my performance. I received an e-mail about 3 hours after the conclusion of the interview saying they wanted to HIRE ME! YAH!

I do not know if I got lucky with the interviewers but I really felt more at ease with the whole process than I have at any other company. They were professional yet laid back. The focus was more on my problem solving skills than my past performance (though that is what got me in the door). The biggest reason why I would say the interview was a success was the company is aligned with my values. I value flexibility in scheduling, non formal dress code, good management and their openness to listen to low man on the totem pole, and working w/ smart people.

Interview Questions
    • How would you roll out this idea in 4 months time? (you are responsible for every aspect on it from conception to close-out)   View Answer